• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venture

Yeah, I get what you mean. I honestly couldn't tell you if he's the biggest pop start on the planet, but he's definitely not some unknown quantity and the number of GAF threads about him isn't an accurate measurement.

Edit: I kinda love the idea of someone wandering into the Game of Thrones thread only to see it being dominated by Ed Sheeran talk.
With graphs no less. lol

Sephzilla

So what's the timeframe on that ludicrous Ironborn Armada? For a bunch of salty pirates who pride themselves on never producing anything on their own, they seem to be able to build shit right quick.

Especially since, when we see the Ironborn homelands, there's almost never visible trees.

FiggyCal

Banned
Well there's 2 questions for this though:

1) Why couldn't the WW use any human to set a mark and make sure he or she passes the wall? Like the dude in the first episode of the entire show. Is there something special about Bran that only he can be used? If so, what is it?

2) I still think the WW can pass the wall anytime they want. I mean, the wall is made of ice with some magic-sort-of-thing. The White Walkers are ice creatures, with magic with them (how else can they resurrect humans, animals and other creatures from death and place their their army)?

Well, he is the 3 eyed raven now. So he has that going for him.

I wonder if the plan is to stop the whitewalkers before they reach the wall. Maybe its a consistency error w/in the show, but we've seen Wights cross the wall before; or at least we saw the one Jon Snow killed at Castle Black. So I'm not sure what that means, if anything.

fantomena

The Wall was constructed by traditional and magical means specifically to defend against the White Walkers after The Long Night. If passing through it has always been easy for them, I doubt they'd have waited until now to make their approach. I still believe Bran is one of the most important cogs in this machine.

Well, there's still some questions. What if the WW and the first men etc. built the wall together for some reason? There's still much we don't know about the long night and many of the stories, have GRRM said himself, are unclear cause they were written long time after the long night ended.

What if there was a pact/peace between the WW and the first men which was brokered by the last hero (Azor Ahai) and they built the wall together, the WW marked their land with the wall and let everyone south of the wall be.

But somehow the pact was broken and the WW are coming again? Maybe Craster discovered part of the pact?

I just don't believe the Azor Ahai saving the world and getting rid of the WW to be true.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the first White Walker ever seen on the show actually south of the wall?
Like, ever ever or in the show? In the show the very first shot is the gates opening to go North and in history, well, there wasn't a wall back then.

Steejee

Well, there's still some questions. What if the WW and the first men etc. built the wall together for some reason? There's still much we don't know about the long night and many of the stories, have GRRM said himself, are unclear cause they were written long time after the long night ended.

What if there was a pact/peace between the WW and the first men which was brokered by the last hero (Azor Ahai) and they built the wall together, the WW marked their land with the wall and let everyone south of the wall be.

But somehow the pact was broken and the WW are coming again? Maybe Craster discovered part of the pact?

I just don't believe the Azor Ahai saving the world and getting rid of the WW to be true.

Children of the Forest helped build the wall - they provided the magic to block the WW from passing. I'm pretty sure they discussed this when Bran was training with the Three Eyed Raven (plus the flashback of the Children creating the Night King)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Some of you are insufferable. How dare a show linger on a shot and let a scene breath. One of the three major characters of the series returns to her homeland after six seasons, a place that will form a crucial part of the rest of this season, and it goes on too long? Spare me. They're setting the scene and underlining the grandiosity of the place.

I think Orange Is The New Black is more your thing.

There is lingering and then there is outright over indulgent and wasteful. This was Over indulgent and wasteful.

Rookhelm

That undead army has been marching a long ass time....weird that they haven't hit the wall yet. I know the plot of the show necessitates leaving that until the end or finale, or whatever, but good lord....people have made trips longer than that a hundred fold now.

FiggyCal

Banned
Children of the Forest helped build the wall - they provided the magic to block the WW from passing. I'm pretty sure they discussed this when Bran was training with the Three Eyed Raven (plus the flashback of the Children creating the Night King)

I also think it was mentioned that Bran's undead uncle couldn't go back with them because of the magic barrier at the wall.

Frillen

I'm shocked that so many people either don't know who Ed Sheeren is or have never seen the guy. Like, he's everywhere. And this is coming from someone who doesn't listen to modern music. The guy is everywhere on social media.

54-46!

Sansa's such a cunt, hope they do something with this character and that she isn't just going to be bitching from the sidelines the entire season.

I thought the episode did a good job as a prologue to the season.

The Sam montage was certainly different but I thought it succeeded in conveying how terrible the job is.

I didn't even know Ed Sheeran was in the episode until coming in here. It is an odd casting choice but I had no idea what he looked like so it didn't affect my immersion. I see how it could be annoying though. I imagine a scene with Rihanna or Justin Bieber being very wtf.

Sephzilla

That undead army has been marching a long ass time....weird that they haven't hit the wall yet. I know the plot of the show necessitates leaving that until the end or finale, or whatever, but good lord....people have made trips longer than that a hundred fold now.

Especially since the White Walkers can seemingly move really fast when necessary. When Bran got marked they were all over him quick.

Einchy

Why didn't he stop Bran if he has the same stuff in him?
Bran has been marked by the Night King, Benjen is a person whose transformation was stopped before it was completed. Chances are he doesn't know about the mark or what it can do.

wandering

Banned
Especially since, when we see the Ironborn homelands, there's almost never visible trees.

Yeah, last season when Euron was all like "We'll cut down every tree and build a grand fleet" I thought "lol good luck with that," now cue the arrival of the Royal Navy at the peak of the Napoleonic Wars somehow

jfkgoblue

One thing I noticed is that on the intro, kings landing still shows a stag, which indicates that Cersei isn't really the queen but the queen regrant until a different Barathean shows up.

So I badly want Gentry to show up to threaten her claim. The memes to be had.

FiggyCal

Banned
Bran has been marked by the Night King, Benjen is a person whose transformation was stopped before it was completed. Chances are he doesn't know about the mark or what it can do.

Yes this could be true, but then how did he know about the Wall's magic? I don't think that's common knowledge.

I think it's somewhat obvious at this point they are waiting to strike. My guess is they have some type of knowledge of what is happening beyond the wall, and once the final war for the Iron Throne starts, they will make their move.

As of now, they have clearly been roaming beyond the wall getting everyone who never made it to Castle Black.

I'm actually starting to get skeptical about the Maesters. The attitude that "the world has always survived" makes me think they are, to a degree, in on the knowledge of the White Walker threat and are either actively trying to prevent action to stop their approach, or could be aiding them somehow.

Sephzilla

Sansa's making the same mistake, or at least a similar one, that Robb made, in my opinion. She's getting too caught up in petty things (like her own personal beef with Cersei and what to do with the children of the people who betrayed the Starks) and taking her eyes off the bigger picture. Robb got too focused on his own personal happiness and who he could/should marry and took his eyes off the big prize for a moment and that destroyed his entire rebellion.

Meanwhile Jon's focused on the bigger issue, isn't trying to make even more enemies, and knows Cersei can't do shit to them right now.

fantomena

I'm hoping they answer your questions! I hope it's not a plot hole or inconsistency within the show's logic... but there might be a problem here.

Haha, me too. :p

What bothers me most is really the stories and prophecies that has been told and were written for what happened during the first long night. They are unclear and should not be fully trusted according to GRRM.

Azor Ahai, The Prince who was Promised. Did Rhaegar knew about this? Were his love for Lyanna really the ONLY reason he impregnated her?

Like I said, many questions I want answered. :p

HvySky

I'm curious if we'll actually get any more insight into the Walkers and their motives beyond the little they've shown (Children of the Forest creating the first Walkers, for example). I'm afraid the showrunners will stick to the "silent, unstoppable force of nature" approach and we won't get anything more.

Einchy

Yes this could be true, but then how did he know about the Wall's magic? I don't think that's common knowledge.
The hung out with the Three Eyed Raven and the Children of the Forest. Those dudes didn't even tell Bran about the mark, though, so I doubt the subject came up with Benjen.

Venture

They were waiting for winter to descend on Westeros and also building up an undead army. They're in no hurry.

Sansa's such a cunt, hope they do something with this character and that she isn't just going to be bitching from the sidelines the entire season.
That seems unfair. She was giving Jon reasonable advice.

Z_Y

There is lingering and then there is outright over indulgent and wasteful. This was Over indulgent and wasteful.

Daenerys has been trying to get back to Westoros since season 1, episode 1. How long was that scene? 5 minutes?

Yea...I disagree.

FiggyCal

Banned
Sansa's making the same mistake, or at least a similar one, that Robb made, in my opinion. She's getting too caught up in petty things (like her own personal beef with Cersei and what to do with the children of the people who betrayed the Starks) and taking her eyes off the bigger picture. Robb got too focused on his own personal happiness and who he could/should marry and took his eyes off the big prize for a moment and that destroyed his entire rebellion.

Meanwhile Jon's focused on the bigger issue, isn't trying to make even more enemies, and knows Cersei can't do shit to them right now.

In a way, Jon actually is acting like Robb also. Robb's soldiers began to hate him towards the end because of divisive decisions he had made. Robb needed to make the allied houses loyal to him and he failed at doing that time and time again. Sansa kind of has it right in that you need to make your people happy by rewarding them to keep them loyal. But she was wrong to not have brought that up in private conversation with him.

Sephzilla

That seems unfair. She was giving Jon reasonable advice.

"Hey, make even more potential enemies for us to fight" doesn't seem like reasonable advice.

In a way, Jon actually is acting like Robb also. Robb's soldiers began to hate him towards the end because of divisive decisions he had made. Robb needed to make the allied houses loyal to him and he failed at doing that time and time again. Sansa kind of has it right in that you need to make your people happy by rewarding them to keep them loyal. But she was wrong to not have brought that up in private conversation with him.

Her logic is flawed though because she was trying to make innocent living people suffer for the sins of dead men, and that's only going to divide their allies and make more enemies - which is the same mistake Robb made.

Sansa has been around Cersei and Bolton too much - her judgement is pretty flawed

Rookhelm

I'm trying to remember, did Jon name someone Lord Commander when he left?

If so, looks like Sam gave the Citadel outdated info lol

Tall4Life

I dont see any feasible way Cersei sends an army to attack Sansa/Jon and co. when Dany is literally on their doorstep, and I doubt whatever's left of the Karstarks and all could actually do damage to them. There's no point.

Einchy

"Hey, make even more potential enemies for us to fight" doesn't seem like reasonable advice.
Yeah, it was shit advice from someone who really doesn't understand what they are going up against. She's trying to play a game that shouldn't be played, the game of thrones is done with, they're now part of the Great War.

jfkgoblue

I dont see any feasible way Cersei sends an army to attack Sansa/Jon and co. when Dany is literally on their doorstep, and I doubt whatever's left of the Karstarks and all could actually do damage to them. There's no point.
That's Jon's point, Cersei isn't a real threat, the WW are.

I'm shocked that so many people either don't know who Ed Sheeren is or have never seen the guy. Like, he's everywhere. And this is coming from someone who doesn't listen to modern music. The guy is everywhere on social media.

Social media reflects your social circle. As a 35 year old urban black male Ed Sheeran is not on the radar of me nor the vast majority of my circle. My facebook has been filled with discussions on the new Jay-Z, Big Boi, and 2 Chainz. I googled some of Ed's music and realize i have heard that "Shape of You" song while out and about but it has never registered enough for me to have interest is what this guy looks like and look at his music video. I mean i really have to dig your music for me to take the time to research how you look and the handfull of times ive heard "Shape of You" didnt cause me to do that.

99Luffy

Banned
I was hoping theyd casually have an explanation on how the iron islands built a thousand ships, nice ones too. The islands are supposedly a bunch of dragonstones. No trees or anything.

Nope.

HvySky

Yeah, it was shit advice from someone who really doesn't understand what they are going up against. She's trying to play a game that shouldn't be played, the game of thrones is done with, they're now part of the Great War.

I feel like Sansa is playing right into Littlefinger's hands, and he's going to continue trying to divide her and Jon. Jon has seen the Walkers and the Night King and knows that he's going to need every living human being to stand up for what's coming. King's Landing and all that shit is petty in comparison and won't even matter if the they lose in the North.

Cersei is going to be too busy getting decimated by Daenerys for Jon to even begin to worry about her.

molnizzle

We've been waiting to see Daenerys reach Westeros for like 6 seasons now.

Calling the arrival scene "over indulgent and wasteful" is absolutely insane. If anything they rushed through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom