• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never understand the "I am a shut-in, who is this insanely famous person?" comments

They wear it like a badge of honor

Conversely, why are people who know who he is complaining about a famous person (I'll take you at your word that he's famous) being on a show with a bunch of famous people in it?

Venture

"Hey, make even more potential enemies for us to fight" doesn't seem like reasonable advice.

Her logic is flawed though because she was trying to make innocent living people suffer for the sins of dead men, and that's only going to divide their allies and make more enemies - which is the same mistake Robb made.

Sansa has been around Cersei and Bolton too much - her judgement is pretty flawed
I'm not saying she's correct but it wasn't unreasonable "bitching" as the other poster put it. Either of those two houses could end up betraying Jon.

Steejee

Sansa's making the same mistake, or at least a similar one, that Robb made, in my opinion. She's getting too caught up in petty things (like her own personal beef with Cersei and what to do with the children of the people who betrayed the Starks) and taking her eyes off the bigger picture. Robb got too focused on his own personal happiness and who he could/should marry and took his eyes off the big prize for a moment and that destroyed his entire rebellion.

Meanwhile Jon's focused on the bigger issue, isn't trying to make even more enemies, and knows Cersei can't do shit to them right now.

I feel like the show is trying to make a point that having the two of them together is important - Sansa and Jon have had vastly different experiences since originally leaving Winterfell, and those differences are important for arriving on the best courses of action going forward. A lot of people have gone down in this show because they didn't listen to advice that didn't mesh with their pre-existing world view, including Jon. Jon and Sansa trust each other, and Sansa is far more blunt and honest than most advisors would be. So keeping them together means each hears more perspectives than they would otherwise, and might actually listen for once.

In the case of the Karstarks I think Jon was probably in the right, but forcing him to actually justify his decision to an equal was important.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Man, I'd love for you to watch one episode of Twin Peaks. You'd lose your mind.

I ADORE Twin Peaks, so you are mistaken.

Daenerys has been trying to get back to Westoros since season 1, episode 1. How long was that scene? 5 minutes?

Yea...I disagree.

I understand why they did it, I just dont like the execution and way they did it. It doesn't help I despise her character and entire plot line. My binge rewatch of the whole show really made it clear how she is the absolute weakest link in the show. Her plots drag and flounder, her character is annoying and lacks the fire of every other major character in the show (and yes that word choice was intention). But my hatred for Danny is for another topic :)

Jon's an idiot.

If we've learned anything about playing the Game of Thrones, it's that compassion and forgiveness only kills the good.

-He, himself, is a perfect example of that, being that he's on his second life.

He should listen to Sansa. Punish treason. Reward loyalty. It's not that hard.

HvySky

There is lingering and then there is outright over indulgent and wasteful. This was Over indulgent and wasteful.

Daenerys arriving home not only for the first time in six seasons but for the first time on this show is a huge moment for the entire series and it deserved the fanfare.

Jon's an idiot.

If we've learned anything about playing the Game of Thrones, it's that compassion and forgiveness only kills the good.

We're not playing the game of thrones anymore. The White Walkers are here and they don't give a shit about your politics.

Pillville

a show with a bunch of famous people in it?

They are all pretty much famous because of this show, so that's a bit different then throwing in a pop star singing in the woods.

But really, it's not a big deal, we are already at the point of everyone is talking about how "everyone is talking about it".

bill0527

Conversely, why are people who know who he is complaining about a famous person (I'll take you at your word that he's famous) being on a show with a bunch of famous people in it?

I think it has to do with how much that famous person is in your face.

I have a daughter who is a big Ed Sheeran fan. I can't get away from him. Every time we are in the car and I change to her radio station, its Ed Sheeran. I walk in her room, Eddie is staring at me from a poster on the wall. My wife bought my daughter and 4 friends Ed Sheeran tickets for my daughter's birthday this fall. I literally cannot get away from this little fucker despite not having any personal animosity towards him. So maybe you can understand why seeing him on the screen last night was a little jarring for me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Jon's an idiot.

This message was brought to you by the Night King.
They are all pretty much famous because of this show, so that's a bit different then throwing in a pop star singing in the woods.
The show has a ton of famous UK actors in it, it pretty much has them all.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does Amazon use a different compression/quality than HBO Now? Even at the max bitrate HBO Now sufferers from some insane image quality issues. Lots of blocking, some weird posterization issues and an overall lower quality than what you'd hope for.

I subscribed to HBO like 15 minutes before showtime. Put the series in my watch list. The new episode popped up at 9:00 to watch on demand.

Yup, it went live immediately.

Awesome, thank you. That seems a better way than using the shite HBO Now app on my TV.

Does Amazon use a different compression/quality than HBO Now? Even at the max bitrate HBO Now sufferers from some insane image quality issues. Lots of blocking, some weird posterization issues and an overall lower quality than what you'd hope for.

This too. Really sub-par streaming quality in my experience.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Then, your comments makes even less sense than it did before, which is commendable in its own way.

TP had a 3 minute scene of a guy sweeping the floor.

That scene was a little over 2 minutes :p but in the context and style of the show it made sense and worked. Many things work for one thing and dont for another.

I also adore Star Trek The Motion Picture and the 7 minute long Enterprise flyby. Why? Because I'm a huge trekie. (Yes I know that scene is ridiculous and the ultimate fan service)

jfkgoblue

This message was brought to you by the Night King.

The show has a ton of famous UK actors in it, it pretty much has them all.
Well to be fair, it is an American show, and the only actually well known actor here was Sean Bean and he died in season 1. Lena Headey is probably the second most well known and she isn't that famous here.(well prior to Game of Thrones that is)

Tall4Life

But really, it's not a big deal, we are already at the point of everyone is talking about how "everyone is talking about it".

Sigur Ros sang at Joffrey's wedding
Mastodon were wildlings

fantomena

Jon's an idiot.

No. Jon is smart and understands the real threat is the army of the dead. The WW don't give a shit about politics. So far the show has shown us they are a force of destruction. The Night King don't care if you are a Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, rich or poor. Every living creature is meat to their army.

Everyone who doesn't believe or ignore the WW threat is an idiot.

Jon's an idiot.

Jon snow have main character armor like denerys and Tyrion. Nothing is going to happen to them lol.

Bilb Ono

Neo Member
I know, I know. :p

But one single thread with 17 replies for supposedly the biggest pop star on the planet for the past 2 years?

Have you considered spelling his name correctly?

c9ZFvgp.jpg

bill0527

Well to be fair, it is an American show, and the only actually well known actor here was Sean Bean and he died in season 1. Lena Headey is probably the second most well known and she isn't that famous here.(well prior to Game of Thrones that is)

You might get some flack from UKGAF for calling this an American show.

I think the fact that most Americans don't know who most of these actors are makes the show more believable for us.

Sephzilla

Jon's an idiot.

I think Jon knows fully well that compassion and forgiveness can bite you in the ass. Plus did we forget that Jon hung a child because the child committed treason?

Listening to Sansa sounds like a bad idea considering she's turning into Cersei Light. Sansa has been influenced by people like Cersei, Littlefinger, and Bolton for years now, her opinion is jaded and she should be kept away from any real position of power in my opinion.

jfkgoblue

You might get some flack from UKGAF for calling this an American show.

I think the fact that most Americans don't know who most of these actors are makes the show more believable for us.
It's produced by an American company with American showrunners based on a novel by an American writer with a red carpet premiere in LA. The only reason it is a predominately British cast is because Hollywood made British accents = medieval settings even though the accents were probably closer to current American accents.

Anyways everyone's favorite character is played by an American anyway.

Griss

I'm someone who thinks the show has been pretty crap for a while but I felt like that was a good opening episode. It remains highly watchable from scene to scene, I suppose. That episode was enough to get me to buy in for this season, anyway.

Hard to know what the show was getting at with Jon and Sansa - was it showing that Jon is still as naive as Ned/Robb about matters of politics or was it showing that he's more able to justify his decisions to his men than they were, that he's a better leader in that regard? If this one comes back to bite him I'd be surprised - it seemed like the right thing to do and no characters were shown / foreshadowed as being particularly upset with it.

Love the hound call-back to the poor folk. The character is so interesting because he's likeable but he deserves death 10 times over for his sins. In a normal story you imagine he'd get redemption followed by a swift death but it's GoT so who knows where his story is going - it's impossible to tell how it ties in with the main plot movement at the moment.

I really liked the scene with Arya and the Lannister soldiers in the forest because it could go two ways - it could be about showing that she's still able to have human empathy (she rides off next episode with some roast rabbit and good wishes) or it could be about showing that she's just capable of being a great actress and has none at all (she butchers these blatantly decent boys). Her line about "I'm going to kill the queen", which seemed designed to bait them into attacking her makes me feel like we're getting the latter.

I know it's late in the day but I'm still holding out my hope from the very first season that Dany will be one of the ultimate villains - the fire to the night king's ice, both needing to be defeated. It would make her interesting for once and I would love to see the Starks tear her down, or maybe Jorah to get close to her again and put a blade in her back. 'Chosen one archetype princess with unlimited stock of deus ex machinas and three WMDs' is just not a character I can root for to win.

I wonder if Dragonstone is close enough to the mainland that Dany can send the dragons off on raids to spark fear in the people? Does she even have that kind of control over them? What will her first move be? I imagine she'll send a letter to King's Landing that they give her the throne or dragons are on the way.

EDIT: On the Ed Sheeran thing: It's funny because as a mid-30s guy I would have had no idea who Ed Sheeran was, only that a friend's 10 year old daughter was showing me him on her iPad at his place on Saturday. So I recognised him right away. Funny looking for a pop star, if I hadn't known I'd have assumed he was just an actor - fit the scene perfectly imo.

Loxley

Hey. I'll have you know that Game of Thrones has the star Gods of Egypt in it.

1xp3nGS.jpg

Sephzilla

Lena Headey had a little bit of mainstream exposure before Game of Thrones - Sarah Connor Chronicles and 300, and Dredd hit theaters just after season 2 wrapped (meaning it was filmed around the time of season 1). Obviously her career exploded after GoT though, comparatively.

jfkgoblue

Lena Headey had a little bit of mainstream exposure before Game of Thrones - Sarah Connor Chronicles and 300, and Dredd hit theaters just after season 2 wrapped (meaning it was filmed around the time of season 1). Obviously her career exploded after GoT though, comparatively.
Yeah I recognized her in season 1, but she was just "medieval Sarah Connor" at the time. I recognized Ned as Sean Bean immediately.

Durock

That undead army has been marching a long ass time....weird that they haven't hit the wall yet. I know the plot of the show necessitates leaving that until the end or finale, or whatever, but good lord....people have made trips longer than that a hundred fold now.

There's no need to March to something they can't cross. I think the Night among has been building an army and just waiting for the time when he CAN cross. Bran is the answer to that. The Night King could never penetrate the Three-Eyed Raven's home and kill him because of the magical barrier that prevented his entry. The moment Bran was marked the barrier was dispelled, due to Bran's presence.

This same thing imo will apply to the wall. Bran is the key and exactly what the Night King as been waiting for. Now that Bran has passed the wall, the Night King can do the same.

I think Jon knows fully well that compassion and forgiveness can bite you in the ass. Plus did we forget that Jon hung a child because the child committed treason?

Listening to Sansa sounds like a bad idea considering she's turning into Cersei Light. Sansa has been influenced by people like Cersei, Littlefinger, and Bolton for years now, her opinion is jaded and she should be kept away from any real position of power in my opinion.

He hung a child that helped murder him because the child was unhappy about Jon giving shelter to the Wildlings.

If not for Melissandre, we would not be having this conversation.

Hell, the fact that he didn't execute Melissandre will probably come back to bite him in the ass too, in some shape or form.

I guess we'll find how it all plays out, but the show writers have not been kind to people showing compassion in this series.

They've been kinder to people bent on revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom