• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorrZ

Right, but it's still by conquest, whether she believes it or not.

Cersei has a claim and so does Daenerys. Both are as legit as the other, they can claim birthrights and successions as much as they like but Robert took the throne by right of Conquest.

There is a reason that Robert went out of his way to murder every Targaryen he could find. Might makes right when it comes to conquest, but he always knew a Targaryen's claim would be seen as more legitimate and a threat.

I only see Jon playing the birthright card if he senses that Dany isn't going to make a good ruler

I honestly don't think Jon will get the chance for that to occur.

Jon won't be King of Westeros.

There is a reason that Robert went out of his way to murder every Targaryen he could find. Might makes right when it comes to conquest, but he always knew a Targaryen's claim would be seen as more legitimate and a threat.

Yeah, when the rebellion was won Robert was chosen to be king out of him, Eddard and Jon Arryn because of his close relation to the Targaryens(through his great grandmother I believe).

Sethista

Cersei has a claim and so does Daenerys. Both are as legit as the other, they can claim birthrights and successions as much as they like but Robert took the throne by right of Conquest.

Why was he so keen in killing dany and viserys then?

birth trumps conquest. You will never be seena s the rightful king as long as someone with the birthright is available.

RObert was lucky the targaryens left westeros after his conquest. He only really took notice after dany started gaining traction in Essos.

The Hound vs The Mountain

I don't think they would have brought up Jon's true lineage if it wasn't going to become a major plot point

Him being legit doesn't necessarily mean he'll be Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.

Why was he so keen in killing dany and viserys then?

birth trumps conquest. You will never be seena s the rightful king as long as someone with the birthright is available.

RObert was lucky the targaryens left westeros after his conquest. He only really took notice after dany started gaining traction in Essos.

Birth trumps conquest, stronger claims and all that. But Dany HAS to win back the throne. That is by right of conquest, not succession. She's a conqueror, no?

Duffk1ng

What is Cleganebowl

08-mmmsoup.gif

confirmed

She honestly only survived Kings Landing because Joffrey and Cersei allowed it.

she survived because Robb Stark was alive and then because she was regarded as the Key to the North by the Tyrells and the Lannisters. Joffrey had no say in that and Cerseis power was also limited. It was Tywin and Olenna that kept her alive.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Seems like they're setting up Dany for a heel turn. She roasted my boy Billy Bones/Dickon. And now it seems like everyone is having growing concerns about her cruelty.

Sephzilla

Seems like they're setting up Dany for a heel turn. She roasted my boy Billy Bones/Dickon. And now it seems like everyone is having growing concerns about her cruelty.

Well yeah. She told them she's not here to rule like Cersei and them immediately followed up with a Cersei-like ultimatum of "serve me or die"

Sethista

SHe went above and beyond to amake them live. I am 100% behind her decision to roast them. I dont get why this troubled tyrion and varys so much, what did they expect her to do?

I know they are afraid of her going all mad queen, but she didnt just burn them out of revenge. She gave them a choice.

To me it's the only outcome that makes sense currently

Eh, I think he won't want it if he knows why he's legit.

After hearing of Rhaegar's annulment, I can't understand how anyone could see him as an honourable Prince.

Him casting aside Elia Martell and de-legitimizing her children by running off with Lyanna, causing the kingdoms to go haywire and thousands of deaths just so he could fulfil some prophecy destroys any credibility people like Barristan had given him.

Jon becoming king would be him recognizing that he's Rhaegar's son, when all he did was provide the seed and got many killed because of it.

I'd prefer another conclusion than Jon lording over Westeros, one where the Iron Throne ceases to exist.

Sethista

Him being legit doesn't necessarily mean he'll be Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.

Birth trumps conquest, stronger claims and all that. But Dany HAS to win back the throne. That is by right of conquest, not succession. She's a conqueror, no?

Sure, but you quoted the bolded above. They are not as legit as the other. Birth trumps conquest.
If there are 2 conquerors, the one with the birthright gets more support only for that reason.

What is Cleganebowl

Surprised it gets brought up so often in this thread given the disdain for anything book reader and everyone so totally avoids book theories. /s.

It's a long held book reader wish to see the mountain and the hound fight. They are cleganes, thus cleganebowl.

Cersei does not have any claim at all. The wife of the former king is not part of the line of succession.

Sephzilla

Still dont get why the need a walker to show Cersei? Just to show there is a bigger enemy so a truce is needed?

The only way to get Cersei to believe the White Walkers exist is to actually show her a White Walker. I'm totally predicting that if they catch a White Walker it's going to escape and start a zombie outbreak in Kings Landing

aBarreras

Because the people running the show made the decision on 13 episodes (not 16). It wasn't some decision handed down against the creatives or anything set in stone. They chose it presumably because that's all they needed to tell the story the same way they had been. Well... it isn't.

I really don't get why people keep bringing up the episode count as though it were some sort of limitation put in place. It wasn't. HBO would probably like the show to go on fucking forever. Fans would love the show to go on for a while at the same pace they had previously watched. Speeding up the show was a deliberate choice, and it wasn't a deliberate choice because of the 13 episodes. The choice came first, then the episode count.

people seem to exagerate HBO's love for this show, if the producers were as free as people think we would have seen ghost every episode.

The only way to get Cersei to believe the White Walkers exist is to actually show her a White Walker. I'm totally predicting that if they catch a White Walker it's going to escape and start a zombie outbreak in Kings Landing

they want a wight, not a WW

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Let them walk? Honestly, letting them walk and choose what to do with their lives now wouldn't affect either army.

I dont think you know how war works.

She could have probably kept them as PoWs but she cant just free her enemies without any consequences. everyone would rebel against her because there would be no fear of reprisal.

Tarlys acted like idiots. plain and simple. it was assisted suicide as far as i am concerned. Then again, they sent Sam to die at the wall so they arent particularly a nice bunch of people.

Still dont get why the need a walker to show Cersei? Just to show there is a bigger enemy so a truce is needed?

It's needed for the armistice. If Nazis all of a sudden offered the Allies an armistice to combat a zombie outbreak, the Allies wouldnt have believed them. In fact, they would have thought it was a ploy to catch them off guard. You have two mortal enemies asking one another to fight a common enemy who just happens to be something that no one has seen for 10 thousand years. Proof is needed just to bring them both to the table.

Sure, but you quoted the bolded above. They are not as legit as the other. Birth trumps conquest.
If there are 2 conquerors, the one with the birthright gets more support only for that reason.

Support is questionable, but I agree the one with birthright will likely get more support.

She still has to win...by conquest. If Viserys Targaryen came and wanted to claim succession over a living Robert, do you think he'll get the support because of his birthright?
Sure, a couple kingdoms may. But he'd have to win a lot of support because of how fresh the Mad King's reign was in the eyes of many.

Dany is in a different situation to her ancestors, she isn't only a Targaryen, she's the Mad King's daughter.

-griffy-

Banned

Nobody down south believes the white walkers and wights are actually real, and therefore aren't taking the threat seriously. So they are going to capture a living wight to prove they exist.

Sephzilla

I dont think you know how war works.

She could have probably kept them as PoWs but she cant just free her enemies without any consequences. everyone would rebel against her because there would be no fear of reprisal.

Tarlys acted like idiots. plain and simple. it was assisted suicide as far as i am concerned. Then again, they sent Sam to die at the wall so they arent particularly a nice bunch of people.

They just watched Dany and her dragon absolutely slaughter a thousand men in a matter of moments and you're saying there would be no fear of reprisal?

jediyoshi

Surprised it gets brought up so often in this thread given the disdain for anything book reader and everyone so totally avoids book theories. /s.

It's a long held book reader wish to see the mountain and the hound fight. They are cleganes, thus cleganebowl.

There's nothing contingent on the books to expect that.

Ravelle

"a dead man" I don't think they really specified.

They should just send a raven to Night King saying cersei wants to talk to him, let him knock on her door.

Plum

Nonsense, Sander just got his team together. It's a 7 vs 7 Westerosi soccer match against the Undead.

None is accursed as the Hypeslayer.

It's happening. Mountain will be beating the Hound when Arya shows up and saves him. She'll stand on Hound's shoulders like Master Blaster from Mad Max and they'll fight with four swords like that asthma robot from Star Wars.

When The Hound dies next episode in a heroic sacrifice with no possibility of him coming back even as a Wight you'll eat the words you wrote today. The Mountain's going to be killed by some low-life peasant or something just to hammer in the fact that it is not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom