• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethista

I can forgie the travelling jumps, it makes sense really, but I dont understand divine knowledge.

How did saw knew exactly which books to get before leaving oldtown?

And why burn that bridge? He could sneak one, read, put back, sneak another, etc. He stole some things, and left forever. Of course he is going to find something in them, but it is a very stupid thing to do, specially because it already proved fruitfull with the dragonstone information.

Also curious if Arya and Sansa will see through LF, and if Sansa will really try to undermine jon to become the official queen of the north. Because you know what, none of that shit will matter once all these lords see the first swarm of the dead. Really, I think they are postponing this as much as they can because once that happens, all other plot points lose urgency and become useless.

Oh yeah I'm sure Cersei will agree to help. And you just know she's going to pull her troops out at some pivotal moment leaving her enemies to die.

Its clear Qyburn wants the walker for research. Im confused by that whole scene. Seems like cersei knew tyrion was coming and that she accepts danys offer is even stranger since its sudden. Is she even meeting dany? That would be dumb.

And wouldnt the night king not know he lost one of his own since he seems to control them all?

Arya can tell when people are lying, if she confronts sansa about it, she will learn the truth. And then know Little finger is plotting against them. Sansa is Not dumb anymore. They will outplay him. Bet on it.

The final two seasons cover one book. They essentially split the two seasons to make sure they had enough budget to do the big battles right. it also gives them more time to write a good ending. We know how well the split seasons worked for Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

They had the foresight to know they didnt have enough material for 20 or even 15 episodes. Everyone here bitching about the fast pacing wouldve been upset had they dragged it out to two full seasons. This is a very progressive move from HBO.

Starks are dumb. Their father was dumb and let Cersei know what he knew. Their mother was dumb for capturing Tyrion and starting the war, then letting Jaime go and starting infighting. Rob was dumb and chopped off the head of Kalstarks after breaking his oath to marry a Frey girl. Rickon was dumb because he wouldnt zig zag when running (ok thats just lazy writing and probably not in the books but you get the point.)

Sansa was and is dumb to trust littlefinger after what he did.
Jon charged into battle and nearly got everyone killed. Arya is just a little girl and she is obviously getting played by Littlefinger.
She doesn't trust him. She literally says no one should trust him and even states to her fam that if he gives you a gift, it's only so he benefits somehow

tenor.gif

All I see so far is her stringing him along due to the Vale army. That's it. Arya is either being used as a triple trick to ruse the viewers or being dumb as fuck. I can't tell anymore. Yes Starks are dumb though, Sansa so far seems to be the outlier. We'll see if that changes.

Man the atmosphere in this thread is like complete 180 from the other thread. People there seems to despise the show now and calling it fanfiction nonsense. But people here seems to love it so far.
If we're being honest, the GoT book crew (not on gaf but in general) are the worst set of fans overall when it comes to book fans so it's not surprising. Even though this episode definitely left my disappointed in several ways and felt tv levels of writing rather than GRMM's quality.

Volimar

Even if Sansa doesn't trust him she can still be manipulated by him.

I can forgie the travelling jumps, it makes sense really, but I dont understand divine knowledge.

How did saw knew exactly which books to get before leaving oldtown?

And why burn that bridge? He could sneak one, read, put back, sneak another, etc. He stole some things, and left forever. Of course he is going to find something in them, but it is a very stupid thing to do, specially because it already proved fruitfull with the dragonstone information.

Also curious if Arya and Sansa will see through LF, and if Sansa will really try to undermine jon to become the official queen of the north. Because you know what, none of that shit will matter once all these lords see the first swarm of the dead. Really, I think they are postponing this as much as they can because once that happens, all other plot points lose urgency and become useless.

The scrolls were clearly in the "The Long Night" section of the library.

Syrus

Banned
Im confused as to why people here are confused with the pacing and teleporting.

It was known before this season that there are 16 total episodes left...obviously shit gonna go fast

sangreal

Sam has been at the citadel for years at this point (based on his own words and the age of his kid) and has been robbing from the secret stash for awhile. Not surprising he would know what to take

FiggyCal

Banned
Its clear Qyburn wants the walker for research. Im confused by that whole scene. Seems like cersei knew tyrion was coming and that she accepts danys offer is even stranger since its sudden. Is she even meeting dany? That would be dumb.

And wouldnt the night king not know he lost one of his own since he seems to control them all?

I'm not sure the night king is concerned with losing one wight.

Also Cleganebowl is this season's finale. Calling it now.

sangreal

It was known before this season that there are 16 total episodes left...obviously shit gonna go fast

Yes but that's a choice D&D made on their own, and now they're rushing the show to fit into it rather than it being a case of them only needing 13 episodes to tell the story. HBO wanted more episodes.

kAmui-

Sam has been at the citadel for years at this point (based on his own words and the age of his kid) and has been robbing from the secret stash for awhile. Not surprising he would know what to take

I must have missed this. Where did he say he's been there for years?

What is he hoping to achieve by leaving?

Ravelle

I think that's a wrong choice of words. The show is on its own now.

I was gonna say, that would mean they compressed the entirety of Winds of Winter (or what much George managed to write and point out) and the show would end with an open ending because A Dream of Spring wouldn't be adapted.

Vashetti

Banned
With single episodes seemingly covering weeks if not months thanks to 'teleporting' long journeys, they'll have to confirm Cersei's pregnancy pretty soon as that baby bump will develop quickly.

If that's the case, his abruptness in leaving without finding out the decision of the Maesters was very odd and out of character.

I didn't find his reason to leave compelling enough.

jett

D-Member

He said he saw Bran at the Wall several years ago. I don't think he said he's been at the Citadel for several years...but there is baby Sam no longer being a baby. The passage of time in the show is inscrutable anyway.

Kickz

Man the atmosphere in this thread is like complete 180 from the other thread. People there seems to despise the show now and calling it fanfiction nonsense. But people here seems to love it so far.

Book readers probably just pissed they have lost their powers over tv only folks.

This season has been amazing, they have even managed to make Dany interesting

FiggyCal

Banned
The pacing is awkward for a lot of reasons, but it's also inconsistent. We just saw Dany fly to one place and get back in the span of one episode. Earlier, we saw Euron sail from King's Landing to casterly Rock in one episode - something that probably takes weeks to do. Same with Jon going to the Wall - something he shouldn't be able to do in a day. And yet we haven't heard anything about the battle at Casterly Rock. The Night King is still slowly approaching the wall. Yara and the other prisoners are neglected for screen time. It's too fast and too slow at the same time.

Just so excited for next week's episode.

The Fellowship of the King traveling beyond the Wall to confront the Dead. Gendry and the Hound, men having had no real direction in life, finally reconciling their worth and abilities with a real purpose. All of them coming together and setting differences aside to confront the real enemy. Finally.

So, it seems not only is Jon a Targaryen, but he's a legitimate heir to the throne and not a bastard. Seems like something that could shake Dany up as she no longer has any rightful claim (not that Jon wants the Iron Throne)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes Starks are dumb though, Sansa so far seems to be the outlier. We'll see if that changes.
Sansa 'Oh Joffrey is so handsome, sure give me to the Boltons Stark is not dumb? She has been Littlefingers puppet for most of the show, and was a ditzy wannabe princess/queen for most of the other part. She seems to have broken LF's hold over her since been given to the Boltons, but we have yet to see her show the smarts to outwit LF.

sangreal

He didn't explicitly say he was there for years but he said it was years since he met Bran and little Sam was a baby when he got to the citadel

I think he was just fed up with the Maesters refusing to act on anything. First with Jorah, and now the long night

Sethista

If that's the case, his abruptness in leaving without finding out the decision of the Maesters was very odd and out of character.

I didn't find his reason to leave compelling enough.

This. If he was having such an easy time accessing the information, why leave?

He had years, yet he was advocating to do a citywide search in all douments relating to the long night, meaning he was nowhere near close in checking all of them.

So how did he know which ones he havent gotten to were important, and why leave if there was so much information left to go through?

megalowho

I think the pacing is hurting the Winterfell story. Two scenes between Sansa and Arya aren't enough to establish any kind of complex relationship, Littlefinger went from impotent and mumbling and now he apparently has all parties under his finger. We have to fill in blanks and place huge importance on things like the glance Sansa gives after watching the training battle. "Why won't x character talk to y character about thing" is a big TV writing contrivance and I feel the show is falling into that trap a bit as a means to force drama. I have less of a problem with time skips for armies travelling across the continents.

Sephzilla

So, it seems not only is Jon a Targaryen, but he's a legitimate heir to the throne and not a bastard. Seems like something that could shake Dany up as she no longer has any rightful claim (not that Jon wants the Iron Throne)

The one guy who doesn't want to rule is going to end up ruling everything

RDreamer

Because the people running the show made the decision on 13 episodes (not 16). It wasn't some decision handed down against the creatives or anything set in stone. They chose it presumably because that's all they needed to tell the story the same way they had been. Well... it isn't.

I really don't get why people keep bringing up the episode count as though it were some sort of limitation put in place. It wasn't. HBO would probably like the show to go on fucking forever. Fans would love the show to go on for a while at the same pace they had previously watched. Speeding up the show was a deliberate choice, and it wasn't a deliberate choice because of the 13 episodes. The choice came first, then the episode count.

Sansa 'Oh Joffrey is so handsome, sure give me to the Boltons Stark is not dumb? She has been Littlefingers puppet for most of the show, and was a ditzy wannabe princess/queen for most of the other part. She seems to have broken LF's hold over her since been given to the Boltons, but we have yet to see her show the smarts to outwit LF.
LF is the smartest person in the entire show, in a series where you have incredibly intelligent people (Tywin, Tyrion, Varys). Making it seem like outsmarting LF be some easy thing is crazy. S1 Sansa was a ditzy girl, but I don't see any relevance to how she is now. Even then on rewatch you get glimpses that she isn't dumb but rather naive (that quickly goes away after s1). When she gets questioned during their journey to choose between her future hubby or sister, she decides to not pick sides. When Cersei tells her to write the paper to Robb, she hesitates because it's a bad idea. She immediately realizes that turning her down a second time is a terrible idea (sounds like something a Stark would do), instead she agrees. She's a 13 year old at this point in time.

Also, she didn't want to go to the Boltons.

Aerys must have named Viserys heir before he died(as he had no idea about a boy being born in Dorne), since Rhaegar was killed before Aerys. And Dany would come after Viserys. Making Jon an heir to Daenerys.

Anyway, claims don't matter much now as it's all a bid for power. Jon can only be king if he claims it. Since it's by Right of Conquest rather than Birthright.

sangreal

Aerys must have named Viserys heir before he died, since Rhaegar was killed before Aerys. And Dany would come after Viserys.

Anyway, claims don't matter much now as it's all a bid for power. Jon can only be king if he claims it. Since it's by Right of Conquest rather than Birthright.

To Dany it is 100% about birthright and her belief in the line of succession. Cersei and the rest of the world wouldn't give a shit about Jons parentage but Dany can't avoid it so easily

To Dany it is 100% about birthright and her belief in the line of succession

Right, but it's still by conquest, whether she believes it or not.

Cersei has a claim and so does Daenerys. Both are as legit as the other, they can claim birthrights and successions as much as they like but Robert took the throne by right of Conquest.

Duffk1ng

I like to imagine that Gendry's been spending the entire time he's been gone smithing thousands of steel daggers to get his skill high enough to discover how to make valyrian steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom