• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodhull

Thanks for the replies, I completely forgot Sansa was standing with Joffrey watching her Dad get beheaded and Arya looking on.

Still does feel a bit forced but then again those two girls have been through a hell of a lot and we don't know what that could do to them.

That sounds a bit harsh on Sansa. Its not like she was just standing there as Ned was executed. She was screaming at them not to do it and having to be held back.

So we now have Jon, the Hound, ser jorah, Davos and Tormund in a group together? Just add Bronn and we officially have the coolest characters in the show interacting with each other.

kc44135

Hey, so with the next episode being very White Walker centric, the tagline being "Winter is Here!" , etc. I'm curious about something... How would you guys react if... y'know, the White Walkers won? Like, they kill everybody in the "A team" here, and then get past the wall somehow in the season finale, and then the final season is just them slaughtering everybody. Maybe the Night King makes Cersei his Night Queen while he's at it, and the ending is him on the Iron throne with zombie Cersie in his lap. Like, worst ending possible/darkest timeline kinda stuff. What would y'all think of that? Do you think it would be the most shocking/hated TV finale ever, perhaps even dethroning (heh) Dexter and Lost?

This won't happen, obviously. It would make the whole series feel pointless, plus we're in full fanservice mode now, too. I'm just curious.

Taker666

I've got a feeling we're going to lose a few liked characters next week.

I don't see all out of Jon, Gendry, Jorah, Tormund, Thoros, Beric and The Hound making it out alive (I'm assuming Davos will stay out of harms way).

We could lose close to half IMO.

episode 7 preview spoilers
jon and the gang are running from the white walkers and wights. They are heading for a large stone in the middle of what appears to be a frozen lake. My bet is that they make this stone and are on top of it when a warged dragon(s) appears to kill the wights and their flames will unfreeze the lake, drowning all the wights. The dragon then takes the gang to safety.

episode 7 preview spoilers
jon and the gang are running from the white walkers and wights. They are heading for a large stone in the middle of what appears to be a frozen lake. My bet is that they make this stone and are on top of it when a warged dragon(s) appears to kill the wights and their flames will unfreeze the lake, drowning all the wights. The dragon then takes the gang to safety.

6 comes after 5 ;p

Nameless

Yeah. His endgame story is pretty lame so far. His grand plan is to sit on the IronThrone yet he's busy playing hide and seek at Winterfell.

The Iron Throne is a dumb thing to shoot for right now, especially for someone as smart as Baelish. Not only would it put him in direct conflict with Daenerys, but it's down right meaningless if the Night King isn't stopped.

His trying to separate Sansa from her pack while shifting control over Winterfell to her side makes more sense, given Sansa and the North is what Littlefinger has been plotting to obtain the past couple of seasons.

FiggyCal

Banned
The idea that they're going to go on a suicide mission to snatch a wight walker all for the purpose of convincing Cersei is an incredibly dumb piece of storytelling.

It's such a waste of time. Just invade King's Landing now and deal with the Whitewalkers afterwards.

The Iron Throne is a dumb thing to shoot for right now, especially for someone as smart as Baelish. Not only would it put him in direct conflict with Daenerys, but it's down right meaningless if the Night King isn't stopped.

His trying to separate Sansa from her pack while shifting control over Winterfell to her side makes more sense, given Sansa and the North is what Littlefinger has been plotting to obtain the past couple of seasons.
I hope both sansa and arya knows this and are planning a trap.

Nameless

I hope both sansa and arya knows this and are planning a trap.

After the whole Hodor business I think Bran has to be careful how he uses his gifts, that includes the knowledge of past/present/future events. If he doesn't tell Arya and Sansa, that means he's allowing things to play out for a particular reason.

Yeah. His endgame story is pretty lame so far. His grand plan is to sit on the IronThrone yet he's busy playing hide and seek at Winterfell.
He's got to take care of his Stark problem before he can climb any higher, though I'm not so sure he's really after the Iron Throne anymore.

Thought it might be interesting to go all the way back at Season 1 Episode 1 and see who's still with us that was first introduced in that episode and then went on to be at least a somewhat notable character.

Ned Stark: Executed on orders from Joffrey in S1
Catelyn Stark: Murdered by some loser in S3
Robb Stark: Murdered by Roose Bolton in S3
Sansa Stark: Alive
Arya Stark: Alive
Bran Stark: There is only Zuul
Rickon Stark: Murdered by Ramsey Bolton in S6
Jon Snow: Beasting
Theon Greyjoy: Alive, technically
Maester Luwin: Murdered by Greyjoy men in S2
Rodrik Cassel: Executed sloppily by Theon in S2
Jory Cassel: Killed in combat by Jaime in S1
Hodor: Killed by wights in S6 :(
Septa Mordane: Executed on orders from Joffrey in S1
Benjen Stark: Alive?
Ros: Killed on orders from Petyr Baelish in S...2? or was it 3?
Robert Baratheon: Assassinated by a pig in S1, though a wild boar landed the killing blow
Cersei Lannister: Alive
Jaime Lannister: Alive
Tyrion Lannister: Alive
Joffrey "Baratheon": Assassinated by Olenna Tyrell in S4
Tommen "Baratheon": Committed suicide in S6
Myrcella "Baratheon": Assassinated by Ellaria Sand in S5
Sandor Clegane: Can't stop, won't stop
Daenarys Targaryen: Alive
Viserys Targaryen: Fucking owned by Drogo in S1
Jorah Mormont: Alive
Khal Drogo: Killed by some voodoo shit in S1

Bonus round:

Ghost: Still MVP
Grey Wind: Murdered by some losers in S3
Summer: Killed by some ol' bullshit in S6
Lady: Executed on orders from Robert in S1
Nymeria: Running wild, running free
Shaggydog: Dead, I think?

Vitten

Weird how nobody ever mentions the mysterious wipe-out of the Freys.
You'd think it would be big news all over Westeros and the Lannisters would be gravily concerned losing their ally to some unknown assassin.

J2 Cool

I was disappointed by Jamie/Bronn's escape. That was downright ridiculous. But I guess it allowed them to move on plotwise quicker, even if it breaks the fabric of what's believable somewhat. Also, it allowed them to give everyone a cool scene last week, instead of Jamie fleeing.

Anyway, that said. Pretty great episode. Have a feeling next week..... we could lose certainly the Brotherhood, Tormund, Jorah, and possibly The Hound. Tormund still has a romance with Brienne, so he feels a little safer. Jorah just being healed would seem like a waste for it to be so sudden, plus he's a survivor.

The Hound it has been setting up for him to finally believe in something more. He's going to go through a lot next ep, as things get stranger and stranger until they see the Night King. Could really see him dying for a purpose this time, what with the vision he had and everything. Which really concerns me. I would love to see him bring back a white walker to Cersei, and stare down The Mountain again. I just have the biggest concern over him surviving next ep.

I'll also say, the "we're going North" plan seemed to be concocted too quickly. It seems like a shitload to risk, just to PROVE to Cersei that the dead are real, when this episode she already seemed all for calling pause on the war. Why risk the King of the North, and several other important men to do it? I'm excited for it definitely, but logically it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Also that Jamie survived, and Tyrion met him so cavalier, with no questions of his survival or discussion of the battle they just fought. That was a fucking incredible, bizarre escape by Bronn/Jamie if we consider it really happened. Not sure how no one's amazed, or how anyone managed to lose sight of them. Not wanting to recover the body of Jamie Lannister.

FiggyCal

Banned
I love how Gendry finds out that his dad is Robert Baratheon and suddenly he has this newfound deep connection with the guy and respects him, despite him not having ever met him and being one of like 20+ other Baratheon bastards.

Monocle

You mean rubbing shoulders with people of influence in the North's center of power? Are we sure there's no strategic potential in living at the stronghold that contains some of biggest players in the Seven Kingdoms?

You mean rubbing shoulders with people of influence in the North's center of power? Are we sure there's no strategic potential in living at the stronghold that contains some of biggest players in the Seven Kingdoms?

Ain't no one in Winterfell that has any relevance to the Iron Throne. Unless Jon and Dany do get married, I can't see this show ending with all seven kingdoms united.

So funny how Gendry dissappears for like 3 or 4 seasons and then there is just a random scene of "I have been looking all over for you, lets go" and now he is part of the Justice League.

FiggyCal

Banned
So are they going to attempt to capture a brainless zombie or one of the main dudes?

I'm pretty sure they're trying to capture a zombie.

Weird how nobody ever mentions the mysterious wipe-out of the Freys.
You'd think it would be big news all over Westeros and the Lannisters would be gravily concerned losing their ally to some unknown assassin.

They mentioned it that first episode. Jaime brought it up w/ Cersei and then later Arya encounters a group of Lanister soldiers heading to the twins to keep the peace. But (and I think this is the showrunners' faultS for not accurately portraying the passage of time) who knows how long ago it happened. It's apparently old news by the time Arya made it back to Winterfell - so everyone definitely knows about it.

Nameless

Ain't no one in Winterfell that has any relevance to the Iron Throne. Unless Jon and Dany do get married, I can't see this show ending with all seven kingdoms united.

Two people are already fighting over the Iron Throne. Everything we know about Littlefinger tells us he'd let those two sides fight it out while strengthening his position for what follows.

Also controlling the mother base of the Great War is huge. If the realm comes together, everyone who matters will be at Winterfell with their armies.

The scene with Jon and the Dragon was terrible. Jon shows no sense of being freaked out after the fact, and Dany just HAPPENS to be rolling in and looks over from her obviously green screened mount like "Oh? What's all this then?"

And then she doesn't even remark on how the dragons are pretty chill around Jon. Im really disappointed with the pacing and reveals like this because I feel they should be more important.

Also, did Cersei know Tyrion was in the house? Why would she allow the meeting to happen?
Yeah. That should have been a really cool scene, but it happens so abruptly. And the character's reactions on both sides are a bit stiff.

FiggyCal

Banned
The scene with Jon and the Dragon was terrible. Jon shows no sense of being freaked out after the fact, and Dany just HAPPENS to be rolling in and looks over from her obviously green screened mount like "Oh? What's all this then?"

And then she doesn't even remark on how the dragons are pretty chill around Jon. Im really disappointed with the pacing and reveals like this because I feel they should be more important.

Also, did Cersei know Tyrion was in the house? Why would she allow the meeting to happen?

Yeah. Its weird that she was both surprised that Jaime took up a secret meeting with Tyrion and also she knew about it the whole time and even knew who set the meeting up. Why was she so shocked?

Edit: Well looking back. Maybe she wasn't so surprised... but her reaction is odd.

Timbuktu

I do think it is a bit of a problem that Winterfell looks so small compared other places now. I don't it changing that much in presentation from S1, but the likes of the Red Keep, Dragonstone, the Eyrie etc all look so grand, it makes Winterfell look a bit provincial and not in keeping with how much power it has.

zeemumu

Jorah won't just die to a white walker, he'll end up being proof. Then creepy Frankenstein Maester will try to restore his humanity somehow to extract information about Dany and her crew.

I swear if I'm anywhere close to right about this, I'll laugh like an idiot.

I thought it'd be Beric for a cruel sense of irony where he gets brought back one more time.

HMD

I swear to god if Little Finger manages to little finger the Starks I will be very upset!

Sansa belongs on the Iron Throne!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My only grievance with this season is its total abandonment of careful methodical pacing, and its current emphasis on fanservice narrative beats. I can forgive this as it's still a lot of fun and two short seasons limit screentime. But the series definitely feels like it's at the stage where all the speculation and wishful character/event matchups from the last six seasons are coming to fruition and the framework hasn't been laid for major surprises. Hoping there's some curveballs left in the remaining nine episodes.

Volimar

My only grievance with this season is its total abandonment of careful methodical pacing, and its current emphasis on fanservice narrative beats. I can forgive this as it's still a lot of fun and two short seasons limit screentime. But the series definitely feels like it's at the stage where all the speculation and wishful character/event matchups from the last six seasons are coming to fruition and the framework hasn't been laid for major surprises. Hoping there's some curveballs left in the remaining nine episodes.

Definitely feels like they're trying to funnel everything and just shove it through so they can check everything off the list before the show ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom