• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode was alright. My only issues were the poop-soup montage and the very final scene.

The former just felt lowbrow. I get the intention, but it came off to me like a more crass and boorish version of what you'd get from a god tier Better Call Saul montage.

The latter was just so predictable. As soon as they hadn't said a word in the throne room, I just knew Dany would bust out a "Let's get started" or "Where shall we begin" to end the episode. The whole scene just didn't work for me.

IDK, both those moments just felt like Chapter 1 of How to Make Prestige TV.

zoukka

Episode was alright. My only issues were the poop-soup montage and the very final scene.

The former just felt lowbrow. I get the intention, but it came off to me like a more crass and boorish version of what you'd get from a god tier Better Call Saul montage.

The latter was just so predictable. As soon as they hadn't said a word in the throne room, I just knew Dany would bust out a "Let's get started" or "Where shall we begin" to end the episode. The whole scene just didn't work for me.

IDK, both those moments just felt like Chapter 1 of How to Make Prestige TV.

What the fuck, once in a blue moon we get something humane in this series and people whine about it (the poop scene). I was actually wishing they'd take it even further :b

kurahador

The problem I have with that poop scene is that it goes a bit too long and showed way too much. Focusing on Sam reaction to everything and only "implying" the grossness would've been better.

I mean do you really have to show an actual poop goddamn. The zoom out shot of Sam pouring the chocolate colored water is more than enough.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The problem I have with that poop scene is that it goes a bit too long and showed way too much. Focusing on Sam reaction to everything and only "implying" the grossness would've been better.

I mean do you really have to show an actual poop goddamn. The zoom out shot of Sam pouring the chocolate colored water is more than enough.

Game of Thrones doesn't wuss out.

I'm thinking that if Gendry does come back, surely it will be during Arya's visit to KL? She's changed so much since they were last together that there's a lot for the characters to bounce off.

*Jon arrives to the Dragonstone throne room*

"Hey, I need to make a ton of dragon glass weapons, and according to this letter from my maester, you have an entire mountain of it. Oh, and can we borrow your dragons to smelt it?"

"Sure, but we don't have a smith."

*Gendry, enter stage right*

"Actually, you do."

Macka

Yep, that was the reason (and she also added Beric Dondarrion and Thoros of Myr back then for selling Gendry to Melisandre).

But they're not on the list anymore as per season 6 episode 3. She shortened it to:

- Cersei Lannister
- Gregor Clegane/The Mountain
- Walder Frey

https://youtu.be/HBue47iGonM?t=2m5s
Wait, shouldn't Illyn Payn be on there? Or have they removed him because of the actor having to leave the show? I feel like that would be a recast I'd be okay with. Arya sparing the Executioner would be kinda weird.

Edit: He's fully cancer-free and wants to return to the show, so hopefully they do bring him back.

Kadin

Goddamn, people were so mad at Ed Sheeran that he deleted his Twitter.
It's pretty sad what much of Twitter has become. I still use it to follow Wario and others in the game industry but reading replies has just become a complete waste of time, much like YouTube.

Kadayi

Banned
While GoT is my favorite show ever, sometimes the dialogue does seem to get a bit too modern, especially when you compare it with season 1.

A lot of period dramas fall into this trap tbh. I think it's best to put it down to what you are seeing is a translation rather than a reality. The one that really stands out for me in the show was where the hound berates Arya for constantly staring at the twins 'every 5 minutes' a couple of seasons back. In a land where clocks don't even appear to be a thing, people's sense of time isn't going to that of minutes/seconds or even hours. It's going to be sunrise, noon and sunset. They could of changed his line to something like 'quit pining, we'll be there come evening' or some such.

Carcetti

Not thrilled by this episode despite having no expectations one way or another. The plot and dialogue felt all too fan-fictiony. The low point was definitely the budget Euron.

eLGee

Jesus. People need to chill. After all, winter has come.

Seriously though, he seems like he's the nicest guy. Feels like it would be quite nasty if he deleted his twitter.

Einchy

A lot of period dramas fall into this trap tbh. I think it's best to put it down to what you are seeing is a translation rather than a reality. The one that really stands out for me in the show was where the hound berates Arya for constantly staring at the twins 'every 5 minutes' a couple of seasons back. In a land where clocks don't even appear to be a thing, people's sense of time isn't going to that of minutes/seconds or even hours. It's going to be sunrise, noon and sunset.

Oh, there's actually a reason for this. There was an interview where GRRM talked about making a fantasy series, and how you could have very fantastical concepts, but you had to ground some basic because then it becomes too much. So a day is 24 hours, an hour is 60 minutes, a year is 365 days, a pound is a pound and whatnot.

LotusHD

Banned

Damn, that sucks. But sheesh, the way everyone's talking about it, they really shouldn't have. Hell, when I first saw it, I wasn't even entirely sure that was him at first, because I didn't think GoT would actually go with such a obvious celebrity, and yet it still managed to feel slightly jarring because it reminded me of him.

I thought it was merely okay. Lots of setup obviously, and moving pieces into place. I'm glad Dany's plot is moving forward now, as that spent way too long in Slaver's Bay. I hope we get more of Diana Rigg as Grandma Tyrell - she didn't die in the explosion, did she?

Pretty OK episode I'd say. Also that Ed Sheeran cameo was pretty cute.

Man, I didn't like it at all. It was so distracting. The casting is normally so good, and this just stuck out like a sore thumb. It was like having fucking Rihanna in it.

I don't think she'll go for Clegane. I think she secretly likes him.

The Mountain?! What dealings has Arya had with The Mountain to give you the impression that she might secretly like him?!

Nev

Banned
Mediocre episode but that's unsurprising. The last season was already run-of-the-mill fanfic.

Except now it has shitty cameos too. Give me a break.

I'm very close to drop this thing, if the next episode has fucking Sam having more screen time than goddamn Daenerys, Cersei or basically anyone again I'm out.

I'm not looking forward to see the Robert's son retcon crap anyways and have zero interest in that shit character.

In regards to Sam, does ANYBODY like this slog and his silly girlfriend??? They've been consistently the only characters whose plots made me want to skip, just fucking kill them already.

At this point it's pretty obvious with that stupid plot armor and out-of-nowhere show presence he's G.R.R's incarnation but you know what? That makes him even more unlikeable for me.

I don't give a shit about his useless, boring, white knight wannabe ass and he should've been obliterated the first time he found the white walkers.

Einchy

Mediocre episode but that's unsurprising. The last season was already run-of-the-mill fanfic.

I'm very close to drop this thing, if the next episode has fucking Sam having more screen time than goddamn Daenerys, Cersei or basically anyone I'm out.

Does ANYBODY like this slog and his silly girlfriend??? They've been consistently the only characters whose plots made me want to skip, just fucking kill them already.

At this point it's pretty obvious with that stupid plot armor and out-of-nowhere show presence he's G.R.R's incarnation but you know what? That makes him even more unlikeable for me.

I don't give a shit about his useless, boring, white knight wannabe ass and he should've been obliterated the first time he found the white walkers.

Sam: This woman shouldn't be raped by either her father or The Night's Watch!

Nev: Ugh, fucking White Knight.

Ah, so that "half season" is probably going to have some crazy shit. Errbody gonna die?

As long as they leave Brienne and Pod alone, I think I can take almost anyone else dying.

Can't get over how awesome that intro was. Arya and Sandor Clegane stay winning as my favorites on the show. Speaking of Clegane, really love the character development he's getting and the humanity he's been showing. Welp, he's as good as dead :(

The intro was amazing. At first I thought it was a flashback to before the Red Wedding, but then it slowly dawned on me that it was Arya.

And they've done a really good job turning Sandor into a good character. I watched a bit of S1 recently as well, and it's similar to how Jamie's character evolved from a blatant antagonist to a somewhat sympathetic character with actual depth. I really loved how his relationship with Brienne changed him.

I'm very close to drop this thing, if the next episode has fucking Sam having more screen time than goddamn Daenerys, Cersei or basically anyone again I'm out.

In regards to Sam, does ANYBODY like this slog and his silly girlfriend??? They've been consistently the only characters whose plots made me want to skip, just fucking kill them already.

They're not focusing on Sam for no reason. He's going to find crucial information on defeating the White Walkers which will prove vital for the battles ahead.

Oh shit.

For some reason I had The Hound in my head. Even though the post I quoted literally says The Mountain.

Yeah, I thought that's what you meant. Despite everything The Hound has done in the past, I think they formed enough of a bond that she wouldn't kill him. He was her companion and protector for several months, even though it wasn't for altruistic reasons.

jm89

I'm not looking forward to see the Robert's son retcon crap anyways and have zero interest in that shit character.

To much shit going on to waste screen time on him. I'm sure they can conjure up a quicker story to find the dragon glass.

Just_one

i dont know why everyone is so pissed about ed sheeran cameo.

we had a load of cameos before him.

lead singer of snow patrol in season 1
drummer of coldplay in the red weeding
sigur ros (amazing iceland band) in joffrey´s death and now ed sheeran...

Kadayi

Banned
Oh, there's actually a reason for this. There was an interview where GRRM talked about making a fantasy series, and how you could have very fantastical concepts, but you had to ground some basic because then it becomes too much. So a day is 24 hours, an hour is 60 minutes, a year is 365 days, a pound is a pound and whatnot.

Mayhap, but that's only applicable to the broader level. It doesn't handwave away the absurdity of people talking about minutes when they're living in a reality sans wrist watches or clocks, and even certain lords are illiterate. Sure they have a sense of time, but it's not going to be that detailed, regardless of whatever GRRM might have to say on the subject.

Volimar

I'm sure they have precise hourglasses or some such when they need them.

Ed Sheeran had already stopped tweeting like a week ago. He just finally deleted it.

Vashetti

Banned
Wait, shouldn't Illyn Payn be on there? Or have they removed him because of the actor having to leave the show? I feel like that would be a recast I'd be okay with. Arya sparing the Executioner would be kinda weird.

Edit: He's fully cancer-free and wants to return to the show, so hopefully they do bring him back.

Wait there’s only two people left? That doesn’t seem right

That list is from season 5 when she's stuck outside the house of Black and White. They made a point of her repeating only those names over and over.

For whatever reason they've drastically reduced the size of her list.

Monocle

Game of Thrones doesn't hold back with sex or violence. Why would it balk at a few turds?

oti

Banned
Man, I didn't like it at all. It was so distracting. The casting is normally so good, and this just stuck out like a sore thumb. It was like having fucking Rihanna in it.

First I was like "hey, that dude can sing", then it was Sheeran lol. I don't know. It was an innocent throwaway moment. I don't take this show super seriously.

Nah, you won't give the show up, you'll be back next week to bitch some more. Sam isn't going anywhere, he'll sit on the iron throne, book it

Elandyll

Banned
If Arya was aware of even half the shit Littlefinger has been up to, he would be priority #1. He's been directly or indirectly involved in almost every bad thing that's happened to her family.
Does anyone other than LF know of his involvement in the fall of House Stark?

Varys maybe?

Venture

Sam and Gilly are great, you're crazy. Their visit to Sam's home was one of the best parts of last season.

does cersei go by baratheon still or is it lannister?

if it is the latter then why do the opening credits still have a stag on king's landing?

I don't think I can handle Tyrion getting killed by Euron Greyjoy and offered up to Cersei as some prize, especially if the actor playing him says he'll make Ramsay look like a little kid.....

Fuck.....

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Ed Sheeran's cameo seemed like a normal scene to me. I didn't even know who he was before reading about him deleting his twitter, lol.

WinFonda

a few things i didn't like about the premier

Euron's abercrombie outfit (wtf?)

The Mountain's armor (this redesign is a step down, he looks like he should be in space or something)

Ed Sheeran cameo

the ending scene fell flat and wasn't executed well

overall, minor things, but some of these little missteps felt like odd out of character firsts for such a long running series... things that were actively taking me out of the show or making me think 'yep, i'm watching tv'

Fan fic?

It's the the fuckin show. If you want it be something it isnt, than that's the fan fic. If your talking deviations from the book. Than your in the wrong thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom