• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HvySky

Can we not talk about leaks?

Euron's abercrombie outfit (wtf?)

I cannot take this man seriously at all. I know he's going to bullshit his way into gaining Cersei's favor somehow but I'd really rather he just fall on his face in spectacular fashion.

I cannot take this man seriously at all. I know he's going to bullshit his way into gaining Cersei's favor somehow but I'd really rather he just fall on his face in spectacular fashion.
I think if they gave the character more backstory or mention throughout the show then more people would look forward to his arc. He was kinda abruptly introduced at the end of season 6 and there wasn't any development for his character at all 1-5 seasons prior other than some vague references.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I was hoping they were just going to straight up kill him while in the throne room.

Just_one

man arya HAS to kill cersey it would be the perfect send of to cersey...

first she kills margery grandmother (which will be the gift euron will bring) after torturing her to find out it was she who killed joffrey and then arya kills her.

i truly believe arya will be the one at the end on the iron throne...

Denarys , Jon and Tyrion is VERY predictable...

oh and btw dont fool yourselfs this time...sansa is the one playing with little finger not the other way around..

first she kills margery grandmother (which will be the gift euron will bring) after torturing her to find out it was she who killed joffrey and then arya kills her.

oh and btw dont fool yourselfs this time...sansa is the one playing with little finger not the other way around..

Arya sitting the throne makes no sense.

Elandyll

Banned

oh and btw dont fool yourselfs this time...sansa is the one playing with little finger not the other way around
If you really believe that, you haven't been paying attention.

Not only that, but it would be beyond stupid for a "Game" newbie like her to outsmart a master like LF.
The only one on the level would be Varys.

It will take events outside of his control and knowledge to defeat LF at that game.

Ithil

I don't know where you're getting any of this. Arya doesn't even know who Olenna Tyrell is, let alone that she poisoned Joffrey.

Not only that, but it would be beyond stupid for a "Game" newbie like her to outsmart a master like LF.

It will take events outside of his control and knowledge to defeat LF at that game.

What has little finger done recently? He hasn't do e anything smart really in a long time. He also probably doesn't believe in the white walkers and would have no plan for them.

just because it is predictable doesn't mean it'd be a bad ending. this show has had a lot of surprises, twists, and turns, but continuing to add them to the story just for the sake of the story and further shocking the viewer/reader doesn't make the story and ending better.

HvySky

I think if they gave the character more backstory or mention throughout the show then more people would look forward to his arc. He was kinda abruptly introduced at the end of season 6 and there wasn't any development for his character at all 1-5 seasons prior other than some vague references.

This is essentially my issue with him. The showrunners expect us to take this man seriously despite him showing up so late to the game and doing absolutely nothing to prove himself in the position he holds. Maybe that'll change over the course of this season, it almost feels like they're gearing him up to be another Ramsay. Time will tell, but he hasn't made a great first impression.

Just_one

Arya sitting the throne makes no sense.

why?

Go see the conversation sansa has with Jon. She is playing (or at least trying to) with Little Finger , the part where she tells jon she learned a thing or two with cersei...

I don't know where you're getting any of this. Arya doesn't even know who Olenna Tyrell is, let alone that she poisoned Joffrey.

i wasnt talking about Arya in the part about torturing Oleanna , i was talking about cersei.

like this

Euron delivers Oleanna to cersei.
cersei tortours Oleanna and she confesses killing Joffrey
cersei kills Oleanna
Arya then kills Cersey.

This is essentially my issue with him. The showrunners expect us to take this man seriously despite him showing up so late to the game and doing absolutely nothing to prove himself in the position he holds. Maybe that'll change over the course of this season, it almost feels like they're gearing him up to be another Ramsay. Time will tell, but he hasn't made a great first impression.
I think that most certainly will change over the course of this season and while Euron could be another Ramsay, I'm thinking he'll be more like the male Cersei. Ramsay had what, 4 seasons of development? Euron don't got time for that.

Elandyll

Banned
What has little finger done recently? He hasn't do e anything smart really in a long time. He also probably doesn't believe in the white walkers and would have no plan for them.
The WW is the big outside factor, but that benefits Jon in terms of influence, not Sansa.

He has done plenty (showing up in the nick of time, on Sansa's request, with the Vale army to regain her favors), but right now he knows he has to regain her trust by pitting her against her brother.

And judging by this last episode (and her face last season when they started calling Jon King in the North), it might be working.

If she truly thinks she can manipulate him, her downfall will be even more glorious to witness. Specially if said downfall results in her betraying her own family, in spite of saying she was now in control (because obviously playing into his game).

HvySky

I think that most certainly will change over the course of this season and while Euron could be another Ramsay, I'm thinking he'll be more like the male Cersei. Ramsay had what, 4 seasons of development? Euron don't got time for that.

Pretty much why I hope they don't go that route. We've less than two full seasons left and the last thing we need is another smarmy, sociopathic asshole to cause trouble. Ramsay was invincible until the Battle of the Bastards.

He did save Jon during the Battle of the Bastards, and he still has the Knights of the Vale which is a pretty damn good card to have in your deck.

The WW is the big outside factor, but that benefits Jon in terms of influence, not Sansa.

He has done plenty (showing up in the nick of time, on Sansa's request, with the Vale army to regain her favors), but right now he knows he has to regain her trust by pitting her against her brother.

And judging by this last episode (and her face last season when they started calling Jon King in the North), it might be working.

If she truly thinks she can manipulate him, her downfall will be even more glorious to witness. Specially if said downfall results in her betraying her own family, in spite of saying she was now in control (because obviously playing into his game).
Here's the thing - first of all, I don't think Jon will stay at Winterfell after the next episode. He's gonna get 2 ravens probably - one from Dragonstone demanding he bend the knee just like the one he got from King's Landing, and one from the Citadel telling him about Dragonstone. That's a massive incentive, literally, so he's gonna wanna go over there asap so Sansa won't have Jon around to manipulate.

The other thing is, we saw only one scene with Bran and that was at the wall, but I don't think he will stop there. It would make sense for him to want to go home to Winterfell, as dolorous Ed will tell him that his family has reclaimed it. And with Bran there, Sansa is reunited with another brother, which will make it harder for Carcetti to whisper to.
Pretty much why I hope they don't go that route. We've less than two full seasons left and the last thing we need is another smarmy, sociopathic asshole to cause trouble. Ramsay was invincible until the Battle of the Bastards.
As evil as he may be, I think Euron's armada, coupled with experience and psychopathic nature will work in his favor for whatever "gift" he's gonna bring back for Cersei.
He did save Jon during the Battle of the Bastards, and he still has the Knights of the Vale which is a pretty damn good card to have in your deck.
I think Sansa should consider marrying Robin. That would give her power of the Vale over Carcetti, yeah?

HvySky

As evil as he may be, I think Euron's armada, coupled with experience and psychopathic nature will work in his favor for whatever "gift" he's gonna bring back for Cersei.

Any theories on what this "gift' could end up being? I doubt anything short of Tyrion's head on a pike would really push Cersei to trust Euron and his stupid outfit. Unless he decides to head north and come back with Sansa.

I think Sansa should consider marrying Robin. That would give her power of the Vale over Carcetti, yeah?

At the very least she'd be able to influence Robin herself and block Littlefinger.

Just_one

Any theories on what this "gift' could end up being? I doubt anything short of Tyrion's head on a pike would really push Cersei to trust Euron and his stupid outfit. Unless he decides to head north and come back with Sansa.

At the very least she'd be able to influence Robin herself and block Littlefinger.

Olleana is my guess. She confesses killing Joffrey and then Cersey kills her

before I answer this question, is it okay to discuss trailer material in this thread? because I think the trailer might give away what the "gift" is.

yup. we never even really saw how the loss of his mother, or his father for that matter, ever effected him. and how would he react to learning that carcetti was responsible directly for the death of his mother, and indirectly for his father...?

HvySky

Olleana is my guess. She confesses killing Joffrey and then Cersey kills her

Good point. I'd forgotten about the Tyrells. Hopefully we see her soon, though less hopefully in that specific context.

before I answer this question, is it okay to discuss trailer material in this thread? because I think the trailer might give away what the "gift" is.

As long as it's spoiler tagged, I think anything we've already seen in trailers or previews should be fine.

Just_one

yup. we never even really saw how the loss of his mother, or his father for that matter, ever effected him. and how would he react to learning that carcetti was responsible directly for the death of his mother, and indirectly for his father...?

what is it?

As long as it's spoiler tagged, I think anything we've already seen in trailers or previews should be fine.
Okay, so I'll spoiler tag before I write what I think is the gift
The leak discussions are banned!
I'm not talking about the leaks though, I was just talking about the trailers.
what is it?

Scenes from the trailers:
It looks like Euron will be attacking Yara's fleet in a nightly naval battle, and Yara is with the sandsnakes since we see them making out in one frame in the trailer also. Euron will attack the rogue Greyjoy fleet, then capture the sandsnakes as well as Yara, bringing them back to King's Landing as prisoners of war

HvySky

Scenes from the trailers:
It looks like Euron will be attacking Yara's fleet in a nightly naval battle, and Yara is with the sandsnakes since we see them making out in one frame in the trailer also. Euron will attack the rogue Greyjoy fleet, then capture the sandsnakes as well as Yara, bringing them back to King's Landing as prisoners of war

Good eye. I watched the trailer but must have missed / forgotten this. Really interested now to see how this plays out.

WriterGK

You guys do remember right what a spoiled little prick Robin is? Why would Sansa go at that again after Joffrey and Ramsay >.<

HvySky

You guys do remember right what a spoiled little prick Robin is? Why would Sansa go at that again after Joffrey and Ramsay >.<

I don't necessarily think that will happen, but it would be a way to influence Robin and undercut Littlefinger. Something tells me Jon is going to lay his ass out before any of that has the chance to happen though.

short answer: to get the power of the vale.

the long answer: before carcetti could help sansa, it still took robin to say the words "she's my cousin...we should help her" which means he probably does care about her. and he also never physically or mentally tortured her the way Joffrey and Ramsay did. Sansa might be good for Robin. Could help him be the man he needs to be.

jfkgoblue

Because highborn marriages are not about love or attraction, but making political plays, it would not be the same situation as those other two at all.

Curufinwe

This would be a better thread if everyone would follow the very simple instructions posted in the OP. Most of my Ignore List is made up of people who refused to follow the rules from previous GoT threads.

For a first episode it wasn't bad, there was always going to be a bit of "Last time on Game of Thrones..." catch-up exposition. I enjoyed The Hound's scenes a lot, I hope he plays a bigger part as we reach the conclusion.

Cersei seems to have gone completely batshit paranoid insane. I wonder if Jaime is going to slowly move into a a position where he will gain the mantle of Queenslayer. :/

Also, what the hell is Euron's accent meant to be??

Kadayi

Banned
i truly believe arya will be the one at the end on the iron throne..

She has to kill the mountain first, and as the guy appears to be an insanely strong undead automaton who likely would need to be hacked to pieces/obliterated with wildfire before he'd stop, I suspect he could well be her undoing unless she's real patient.

All the "hyuk hyuk We really are the Last of Us! Anyone else get that!!?!" posts in this thread reminded me of that terrible 'Cake is a Lie' webcomic.
Fucking memes.... :p

Nameless

giant-white-walker-got.png

I feel like this was them reminding us there are no happy endings in this world. Fully prepared for the series finale ending with the last few heroes dying and Winter & the dead claiming Westoros for good.

jfkgoblue

giant-white-walker-got.png

I feel like this was them reminding us there are no happy endings in this world. Fully prepared for the series finale ending with the last few heroes dying and Winter & the dead claiming Westoros for good.
It's not gonna be like that at all, they said it would be "bittersweet", but then said Lord of the Rings was "bittersweet", so I expect a reasonably happy ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom