• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
how old are you? i was like 15 when that movie came out so it's hard to remember how much it was talked about in the 90s, when i was just a little kid
It wss talked about in the 90s. The "ozone layer" I remember was a big talking point. But i was a kid and didn't really care that much except recycle recycle recycle

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/...a-storyboard-of-brans-arrival-at-castle-black
DFMRCF2VoAE8fQm

jfkgoblue

how old are you? i was like 15 when that movie came out so it's hard to remember how much it was talked about in the 90s, when i was just a little kid
You are probably right, I was 16 when it came out, but I hadn't even heard of global warming prior to it.

It was all about the Ozone layer in the 90's iirc.

^ i didn't understand why ed was asking meera & bran if they were wildlings like it was a bad thing. with jon being his best mate i thought he wouldn't be prejudiced to wildlings anymore.
It wss talked about in the 90s. The "ozone layer" I remember was a big talking point. But i was a kid and didn't really care that much except recycle recycle recycle
as a kid i also remember people conflating the 2 different issues.
You are probably right, I was 16 when it came out, but I hadn't even heard of global warming prior to it.

It was all about the Ozone layer in the 90's iirc.
Robdraggoo mentioned ozone depletion, the WWs may be symbolic to both of those.

Einchy

^ i didn't understand why ed was asking meera & bran if they were wildlings like it was a bad thing. with jon being his best mate i thought he wouldn't be prejudiced to wildlings anymore.as a kid i also remember people conflating the 2 different issues.
I think it was just to know who or why they were there. If he thought they were wildlings, and the implication being that that was bad, I don't think they would've even open the door. Pre-Jon they would've only opened it for a member of the Night's Watch.

I didn't get the impression Edd meant "are you wildlings?" in any particular offensive tone.
could be. as meera & bran don't know that the north and the knight's watch have basically granted amnesty to the wildlings, perhaps they misinterpreted the context of which Ed was asking them
I think it was just to know who or why they were there. If he thought they were wildlings, and the implication being that that was bad, I don't think they would've even open the door. Pre-Jon they would've only opened it for a member of the Night's Watch.
we're waaaay past pre-Jon, though. but yeah as Jeff said, Ed probably didn't imply any bad connotation.

It was taught in schools during the early 1990's, at least in the UK. I remember because we often confused the greenhouse effect with the CFC ozone layer effects (which were arguably a bigger deal at the time).

I'm sure it was part of the GCSE exams (UK's 16-year-old qualification that everyone takes) by 1993 at the latest (meaning it was in the syllabus by 1991, probably after the IPCC's first report made it part of the scientific mainstream).

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Jaime owns Widow's Wail now.
w3b8yyxt8maz.jpg

I'm glad it wasn't buried with Joffrey since it would be destroyed now.
I guess it's the official valyrian steel sword of house lannister now. Which pisses me of becuase It's was the ancestral sword of house stark (but I guess part of it is still serving house stark through brienne.

televator

I guess it's the official valyrian steel sword of house lannister now. Which pisses me of becuase It's was the ancestral sword of house stark (but I guess part of it is still serving house stark through brienne.

House Stark lost an unwieldy (mostly ceremonial) great sword but gained 2 very practical long swords. They came up winning on that. There's some possibility that Arya could somehow end up with WW, but who knows?

It was taught in schools during the early 1990's, at least in the UK. I remember because we often confused the greenhouse effect with the CFC ozone layer effects (which were arguably a bigger deal at the time).

I'm sure it was part of the GCSE exams (UK's 16-year-old qualification that everyone takes) by 1993 at the latest (meaning it was in the syllabus by 1991, probably after the IPCC's first report made it part of the scientific mainstream).
word yeah i do remember the two problems getting confused often. so i think it is still plausible to say white walkers are symbolic to climate change.
Which is why he opened the gate. Not sure what you mean.
nevermind
Isn't Needle made of Valaryian steel?
i don't think so. on the show at least it was made at winterfell.

Valyrian streel is not Damascus steel. The on-screen representation is, yes, but the process of forging Valyrian steel is steeped in magic and myth.

Valyrian steel links on Maester chains represent study of higher mysteries (magic), for example.

Valyrian streel is not Damascus steel. The on-screen representation is, yes, but the process of forging Valyrian steel is steeped in magic and myth.

Valyrian steel links on Maester chains represent study of higher mysteries (magic), for example.

oh. well i guess that's that. but dragonglass is still just obsidian then.

Yeeeeah but remember that obsidian is volcanic glass. It might "just" be obsidian in the Game of Thrones universe, but if they were created by dragon fire that might be why they are "magic".

There are no volcanoes in the GoT universe that I know of.

rambis

Banned
valyrian steel is magic? i thought it was based on damascus steel just like how dragonglass is just an in-universe colloquial term to refer to obsidian.

IIRC dragon fire makes Valyrian steel and Dragonglass special. I honestly think its the Dragons that are the root of all the magic in the show. It seems almost everything supernatural in the show can be traced back to them in some way. Other than the "Lord of Light" stuff which is still fire based magic.

Yeeeeah but remember that obsidian is volcanic glass. It might "just" be obsidian in the Game of Thrones universe, but if they were created by dragon fire that might be why they are "magic".

There are no volcanoes in the GoT universe that I know of.

maybe the dragonglass found in westeros and the west coast of essos are forged from dragons because that's where all the dragons are/were, but i'm sure the rest of the planet's got at least one volcano on it.

maybe the dragonglass found in westeros and the west coast of essos are forged from dragons because that's where all the dragons are/were, but i'm sure the rest of the planet's got at least one volcano on it.

That would make sense. I just wonder if there is non-magic Dragonglass in the world, then. I don't think it's a question the show is interested in answering of course.

IIRC dragon fire makes Valyrian steel and Dragonglass special. I honestly think its the Dragons that are the root of all the magic in the show. It seems almost everything supernatural in the show can be traced back to them in some way. Other than the "Lord of Light" stuff which is still fire based magic.
it doesn't really look like they had a hand in creating the white walkers though, but who knows.
That would make sense. I just wonder if there is non-magic Dragonglass in the world, then. I don't think it's a question the show is interested in answering of course.
which is fine, this is of course a high fantasy show but even as a high fantasy, this show helps things at least feel more relatable and "grounded in reality" than say lord of the rings, even though lotr was clearly a huge influence on asoiaf.

Einchy

it doesn't really look like they had a hand in creating the white walkers though, but who knows.
Not directly but dragon glass turned that guy into the Night King.

We need a fashback where a dragon stabs a kid with dragon glass and turns them into children of the forest. 👀

Einchy

I kind of wish they hadn't felt the need to explain the creation of the White Walkers. I guess it adds some extra layer to the Children, at least.

I only dislike reveals like that when it's a shitty one and I feel like nothing was added to the story. The fact that the White Walkers were created to fight the First Men, and this is just the White Walkers continuing what they were created for, is a pretty awesome reveal.

I only dislike reveals like that when it's a shitty one and I feel like nothing was added to the story. The fact that the White Walkers were created to fight the First Men, and this is just the White Walkers continuing what they were created for, is a pretty awesome reveal.

Yeah you're right, it's more a failure of execution than something they shouldn't have explained.

Nameless

Yep, it's why Jon was able to do this with his sword:

ebaa486794306c9b0fe5600c4ee75063

That really was a beautiful fucking parry. Jon has to be the best living swordsman in Westeros at this point, right? Brienne, Hound, Mountain, and Ser Bronn of The Blackwater are on the short list too, but I'd take Jon in a heartbeat. He's upped his game every battle so far.

Also on the Valaryian Steel discussion, who gets Heartsbane? It's on the opposite end of the continent right now but it will clearly play a role.

Einchy

That really was a beautiful fucking parry. Jon has to be the best living swordsman in Westeros at this point, right? Brienne, Hound, Mountain, and Ser Bronn of The Blackwater are on the short list too, but I'd take Jon in a heartbeat. He's upped his game every battle so far.

Also on the Valaryian Steel discussion, who gets Heartsbane? It's on the opposite end of the continent right now but it will clearly play a role.

The Hound is my guess.

Sam has it, it's possible Jon gives longclaw back to jorah (asuming they meet) and Sam gives heartsbane to Jon.

Einchy

I think it has to be The Hound cus this thing is beastly.
ISmeLGv.gif

You'd need a real strong mothafucka to use it in battle.

And Tywin said in S4 that there were only three Smiths in the known world who could reforge Valyrian steel, though presumably none that we know of who could make more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom