• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Where exactly is this info from that he communicates with the 3ER?

The first time Benjin showed up since the first season was after the 3ER died...did he say something like that? I don't remember.

Would be cool if that was the case and it was Bran helping out.

"3 Eyed Raven sent for me." was said when he saved Bran and Meera last season.

Where exactly is this info from that he communicates with the 3ER?

The first time Benjin showed up since the first season was after the 3ER died...did he say something like that? I don't remember.

Would be cool if that was the case and it was Bran helping out.

I think it was some dialogue about being sent by the 3ER, so it seems like he can communicate with him.

Im just going to accept it because Im tired of all the shitty stuff they are doing.

So it's totally fine if Benjen saves Jon because presumably, he died a long time ago and was living the rest of his life for that moment.

Why they couldnt just use the 3ER to get Dany to the battlefield instead of using Gendry, Ill never know.

Zertez

If Brans biggest reason to come back to Winterfell was to talk to Jon, why did he show up when Jon was gone? Bran could have easily scouted Jons location or another safe place until Jons return. Why bother messing with LF head if you don't care what he does to your family. If he didn't care, why bother getting involved all. At this point it seems like the character growth of the Stark kids is wasted or the foreshadowing is on the same level as a kids show.

Tahnit

Banned
ok what the fuck.

how does
the dragon die from one spear when drogon took one and was fine.
It wasnt even that big of a spear. I dont get it.

I generally don't care about the whole ship thing, but I have so much inner turmoil towards Dany and Jon. The chemistry there is actually pretty solid, but dude she's your aunt.

Literally only one person knows this and he's too hung up on his sister being raped on her wedding night.

If Brans biggest reason to come back to Winterfell was to talk to Jon, why did he show up when Jon was gone? Bran could have easily scouted Jons location or another safe place until Jons return. Why bother messing with LF head if you don't care what he does to your family. If he didn't care, why bother getting involved all. At this point it seems like the character growth of the Stark kids is wasted or the foreshadowing is on the same level as a kids show.

yeah I don't like what's going on with the Stark kids at all. Sansa is the only one doing things right.

"A Song of Ice and Fire"

I never took that to refer to white walkers specifically. Especially now that we know everyone's origins I find it more to be about Jon and Dany (Ice and Fire) or about Jon alone for a hero's journey because he's a product of ice (Stark) and fire (Targaryen).

Femto.

Or you could just remind me, but sure, whatever.

I'm not surprised by the reactions you got. It's not that easy to miss since they've been giving big clues and hints of what you're asking for, for a couple of seasons now. Longer even.

First "big" confirmation (IIRC) of why Jon is blood related to Dany was given to us in the flashback Bran had about Ned and finding his sister in a tower.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't know if there has ever been a time in this show's history where I actually enjoyed watching it. It's more of a morbid curiosity for me. For so long it was a depressing and loathsome comedy of errors where good people died because that's what was the most shocking, and now all of the sudden everyone is allowed to make the stupidest decisions possible with no real repercussions.

Can't imagine sticking with something for 7 seasons that you've never once enjoyed...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Well, these characters do often make mistakes and get themselves killed. Even the most intelligent ones.
First of all, he hasn't said "I'm not Bran" multiple times, he only said it one time. And second of all, I have explained to you 3 times already how I've interpreted his arc to have been him putting for an effort to improve his behavior with his family over the course of time. If you don't share that perspective that's fine, but you don't need to have a condescending attitude just coz you don't agree.

all you're doing here is having a "i'm right, you're wrong so deal with it" discussion with me. and that's not a discussion. you're not interested in hearing what i have to say and respecting it, only saying your perspective is the only one to go by

I'm not sure if a character can be mistaken about who they are.

He said he isn't Bran and then he said he would never be lord of Winterfell. That's more than one.

I mean, that's literally what you're doing right now. A few people have told you he's not Bran and you're not willing to accept that perspective either.

Ferrio

Banned
ok what the fuck.

how does
the dragon die from one spear when drogon took one and was fine.
It wasnt even that big of a spear. I dont get it.

Magic, literally. In retrospec the ballista being used is good because it illustrates how much more powerful the NK is.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Like, Jon was revealed to be the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.

It was a really, really, really big moment when they revealed that last season.

Hell, I skipped season 6 and even I heard about it before taking a look myself.

jviggy43

You're missing something that has been shoved down our throats time and time again since last season.

There is a greater purpose, there is a reason we were brought back, why we were brought here etc etc.

At this point I think they want us to assume it's divine intervention.

Doesn't jibe with anything that came before these recent seasons or from Martin's work. Pretty lame excuse to have these incredible impossible events happening to save people because of a fire god. Just thinking about that excuse makes me mad haha

Going to withhold some complaints until I see the next episode.
Something like Benjen appearing out of nowhere could be addressed, Bran may have sent him.

Well too bad, because that's where we're headed. They won't build up something from the very prologue of this show and not make this the climax.

Yup.

Yeah, I could see the little group of WW maybe following Benjen or him being told they'd be there, so I think his placement is okay, but at the end Benjen's last little sequence was so fast. I'm surprised he didn't at least get a longer take in his doomed last stand, which we only saw from a far above view.

televator

Dany is Jon's aunt, what? Is this a book thing, or am I forgetting something from a past season? I thought Jon's mother was a prostitute.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to whatever trap Cersei has planned. Tyrion's flaw in predicting Cersei is what Olenna Tyrell said, that she didn't have the imagination to predict Cersei's cruelty.

I've seen you post in previous OTs... how the hell is this news to you? Did you watch season 6? That wasn't some random prostitute that Ned Stark went to see in the tower... hint, hint.

molnizzle

Finale of last season they show Ned holding his sister's newborn baby. The shot then cuts away to Jon's face. Jon is the baby, get it? Jon is the baby.

We know Lyanna Stark was "abducted" by Rhaegar Targaryen. Dany's older brother, the crown prince under the mad king. That abduction is what started Robert's rebellion in the first place.

Then last episode we hear Gilly reading about a marriage annulment for a "Prince Ragger" and another wedding in a secret ceremony. Implying that Rhaegar didn't kidnap Lyanna, they ran off together. Also implying that Jon isn't even a bastard. He's a legitimite Targaryen with a stronger claim to the iron throne than Dany. He's also Dany's nephew.

game_of_thrones_s06e05_leaf_cotf_first_men-600x398.jpg

doesn't look anything like Bran.

Bran could have warged into person before he was turned. I thought Meera said "you died in that cave"

That's how I take it.

Yup.

Yeah, I could see the little group of WW maybe following Benjen or him being told they'd be there, so I think his placement is okay, but at the end Benjen's last little sequence was so fast. I'm surprised he didn't at least get a longer take in his doomed last stand, which we only saw from a far above view.

Damnit, I wish he rode back with Jon :[
I was like "What do you mean there's no time?"

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This. Almost ruined the fucking episode for me. After all these seasons they get played like fucking fiddles? I mean come on. It can't be this easy.

Exactly. If the show was consistent with the excellent work they laid down in previous seasons building these characters, Sansa would be strong and wiser finally finding her element as a leader with Arya as a loyal companion using her new abilities to help and both of them too experienced to fall for Littlefinger's bullshit. Heck, I think it's out of character that Arya is still hanging around Winterfell.

We saw some indication that writers get it when Sansa burned LF about "no need to get the last word" moment but it's been downhill since then.

"3 Eyed Raven sent for me." was said when he saved Bran and Meera last season.

Thanks.

So it's totally fine if Benjen saves Jon because presumably, he died a long time ago and was living the rest of his life for that moment.

Why they couldnt just use the 3ER to get Dany to the battlefield instead of using Gendry, Ill never know.

I think the first sentence answers your second, Maybe it's because he's dead, that's why Bran can communicate or maybe even control him.

He was able to control Hodor because he was a half wit, and could control animals because they were lesser than humans.

I don't think he could use any of that power to control someone or something to get to the info out to Dany.

I'm not sure if a character can be mistaken about who they are.
Well, I'm sure of it. Ned Stark had Jon Snow & the whole world thinking he's his bastard when he's really the son of his sister and a dead prince.

Ramsay had Theon undo himself mentally and identify as Reek, but he worked at coming back from it. Arya trained to lose her identity completely, but she did not have the will for it.

He said he isn't Bran and then he said he would never be lord of Winterfell. That's more than one.
no, he said he's not lord stark. that's not the same as saying 'i'm not bran.' literally 2 different sentences.
I mean, that's literally what you're doing right now. A few people have told you he's not Bran and you're not willing to accept that perspective either.
No, I'm not telling you that you are wrong. i'm telling you about how I'm viewing the narrative, and i'm telling you that you can choose to view it your way I don't have to view it the same way as you. A few other people have also leveled with me, btw.

Because Cersei is a bigger threat then the Night King, yeah no

The end game was always the White Walkers

My ideal order would be that they take down the NK early in season 8 (or next episode would be even better) and if my earlier prediction is right that Cersei betrays them that the major conflict goes back to a greatly weakened Jon+Dany forces vs Cersei+Jamie+Euron.

Einchy

Bran could have warged into person before he was turned. I thought Meera said "you died in that cave"

That's how I take it.

Oh, that one guy did warg into an eagle and survived. Not that I think the Night King is Bran but this means that Bran, if he can warg into other humans and not just Hodor because of his condition, that he could live forever by stealing people's bodies.

Benjen stark died for no reason. He met jon again after season 1 episode 1. And this is the re-union they get? a pointless death? pretty bad writing.

Rixxan

I kind of hated this episode the first time I watched it, I think a part of that was me looking for all the things that were spoiled for me, dissecting them as single events not within the extents of the show, well that in combination with the dues ex fuckery that happened (and the lackluster direction and editing) - but on rewatch it was much more palatable

I never would have ever thought I'd vibe on this Dany and Jon relationship, but against all odds (and inherent human distaste for incest) I think it's kinda great

Einchy

Well, I'm sure of it. Ned Stark had Jon Snow & the whole world thinking he's his bastard when he's really the son of his sister and a dead prince.

Ramsay had Theon undo himself mentally and identify as Reek, but he worked at coming back from it. Arya trained to lose her identity completely, but she did not have the will for it.

no, he said he's not lord stark. that's not the same as saying 'i'm not bran.' literally 2 different sentences.
No, I'm not telling you that you are wrong. i'm telling about how I'm viewing the narrative, and i'm telling you that you can choose to view it your way I don't have to view it the same way as you.

How are either of those scenarios anywhere near the same? lol, that's a stretch even for you.

He was saying that because he is the next rightful heir but he can't because he is not Bran Stark but the Three Eyed Raven. Being a Stark is no longer his life.

Thanks.

I think the first sentence answers your second, Maybe it's because he's dead, that's why Bran can communicate or maybe even control him.

He was able to control Hodor because he was a half wit, and could control animals because they were lesser than humans.

I don't think he could use any of that power to control someone or something to get to the info out to Dany.

No, I mean, he could have sent out a raven to Dany as soon as Jon and crew left for Eastwatch, and it could have arrived in a less ludicrous manner.

I mean, just the fact that Jon is sitting there waiting for the dragons just makes you wonder how dumb the character has to be to go through with all of this in the first place. "yep, let's just sit on this rock and hope Gendry made it. I am fighting for the entire continent. This was a good plan, I definitely didn't risk it all by coming to find a wight"

Bran getting Jon out of trouble, or the Dragons sensing Jon's danger are infinitely better options than Gendry

I kind of hated this episode the first time I watched it, I think a part of that was me looking for all the things that were spoiled for me, dissecting them as single events not within the extents of the show, well that in combination with the dues ex fuckery that happened (and the lackluster direction and editing) - but on rewatch it was much more palatable

I never would have ever thought I'd vibe on this Dany and Jon relationship, but against all odds (and inherent human distaste for incest) I think it's kinda great

If it's any consolation at least it's not total incest like Jamie and Cersei. Jon is at least bringing in some new DNA into the gene pool.

Top Bottom