• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Sethista

Also it will bug the hell outta me if we dont see a conversation of jon telling dany that he is pretty sure the NK has a frozen dragon now. No reason for him to not know he could bring the dragon back.
If jon is somehow surprised by that, that will be the jump the shark moment of GOT for me.

Atomic Odin

At what point did the episode prove the White Walkers were immune to fire?

They just did the same thing they did last time when they attacked Bran at the tree where they made the fire go away with their cold proximity thing. But direct dragon fire?

Yeah well you're right on that part, but people speculated before that dragonfire in any form would hurt them. Like even when there is a barrier of it in front of them which kinda was there and NK just crossed it like it was nothing. I expected something atleast, maybe a slight recoil, doubling back & surprise how this fire is affecting him (however small in amount).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The dothraki jumped through fire. What the head WW/NK did was more like smother the fire with his killing intent.

I don't think he's immune to fire but a little bit of burning isn't going to scare the avatar of winter.

Also it will bug the hell outta me if we dont see a conversation of jon telling dany that he is pretty sure the NK has a frozen dragon now. No reason for him to not know he could bring the dragon back.
If jon is somehow surprised by that, that will be the jump the shark moment of GOT for me.
A conversation like that would diminish the impact of the oh shit moment when the shit goes down.

nubbe

I don't think i've ever seen someone be so intensely eyefucked before

giphy.gif

The whole concept behind what they wanted to achieve with this plan: urging Cersei to fight the white walkers, having Dany see the dead for herself, and having a Frostwyrm in the show - could have been done in a much smarter way.

The way that it's engineered in the past 2 or so episodes makes you actually feel the showrunners rushing this series into its climax.

Also am I the only one who really wants Sansa to die?

Atomic Odin

I don't think i've ever seen someone be so intensely eyefucked before

giphy.gif

Just before that scene, when Dany sees Jon's wounds and finally realizing she is not the only one who has gone through all kinds of hell through their lives like she said to him earlier in the season. It was a great moment.

Sethista

A conversation like that would diminish the impact of the oh shit moment when the shit goes down.

The show so far has mainly been about the arcs and decisions making sense, for the most part, anyway.

It will stick out so much if the entire a team plus dany not coming to that conclusion by themselves that it will be a big disservice to the show.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
No one post the handholding shot, that shit was straight up LEWD.

That shit had me grinning ear to ear. That thing they did with their thumbs made me tear up. That entire scene had me like,

giphy.gif

So ah, Jon's legitimacy doesn't even matter anymore right?

Eh, I don't know if Jon would know. Dragons are kind of an unknown for most people as they were thought to be extinct or a myth prior to the Danny's dragons.

Vectorman

Banned
Boy I walked into the other GOT thread:
giphy.gif

People sound so pissed about this episode in GAFland I guess.

I, on the other hand, love the LOTR-ness of it all! That being said, Sansa/Arya/LF arc is still pretty bad lol. D&D really need to just slow it down and think things out a bit better.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Aside from the Hound and Tormund convo, Jon and dany scene was the best part of the episode.

If only they got there via better writing, but oh well, I've moved on. It wasn't terrible, it was still a fun watch.

Jon essentially sacrificed his life to save Dany and Drogon and she knows it. That's why the scene was even more touching. He had her abandon him so she could get out alive. But that's Jon and why he'll always be GoT's true hero. Always willing to sacrifice his life for the people.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Guys, I think I understand why shippers go insane when they get teased with fake ships now. I can...see the Tumblrs...all...around me...
giphy.gif

televator

Going to have to kill someone to give long claw the power

75% Meli
25% Danny

Both prime candidates because they both have the fire within them.

I don't recall that in the ceremony. When was this stated? I do think that between Jon and Danny, Danny is more likely to die since she's not a 1v1 fighter and that's what is necessary to continue the plot with the night king. Plus, Tyrion bringing up the succession issue with her might be a bit of foreshadowing. Meli said she was going to die inevitably, so she's a big candidate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like the Sansa/Arya/LF arc is just there so they can keep the people that like all the political intrigue and backstabbing on-board while the show enters it's final phase and becomes a bog-standard fantasy story.

Soodanim

Whitewalkers aren't immune to fire, it means that they are so cold that fire dies quickly around them. Probably best way to kill one thats deathly cold is using valyrian steel
That's what it is for me. A proper blast of dragon breath should cut through it, but after this one showing how OP NK is, who knows how strong the cold aura is.

So ah, Jon's legitimacy doesn't even matter anymore right?

Jon's going to completely denounce it if he finds out. He's a Stark. Grew up in Winterfell, knew Ned as his father, his siblings know him as their brother, and he takes after his mom more so his biological dad (something the books point out). Hell he probably doesn't even want the Iron Throne so he's either going to let Dany have it or Dany makes him his creepy incestuous consort. Contesting for the Iron Throne is something way out of character for him.

Heshinsi

Aside from the Hound and Tormund convo, Jon and dany scene was the best part of the episode.

If only they got there via better writing, but oh well, I've moved on. It wasn't terrible, it was still a fun watch.

Jon essentially sacrificed his life to save Dany and Drogon and she knows it. That's why the scene was even more touching. He had her abandon him. But that's Jon and why he'll always be GoT's true hero. Always willing to sacrifice his life for the people.

Jon also decided to go play hero while killing valuable time to escape. He didn't sacrifice himself, he got caught up and then was tackled on his way back to her. That whole bit was stupid as fuck. For a solid period of time, the group was being attacked by wave after wave. Now that there's only a handful of zombies, Jon feels the need to get so far away from the group?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jon's going to completely denounce it if he finds out. He's a Stark. Grew up in Winterfell, knew Ned as his father, his siblings know him as their brother, and he takes after his mom more so his biological dad (something the books point out). Hell he probably doesn't even want the Iron Throne so he's either going to let Dany have it or Dany makes him his creepy incestuous consort. Contesting for the Iron Throne is something way out of character for him.

Dany is going to make the Starks the rulers of Westeros after she dies. Just watch.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Jon also decided to go play hero while killing valuable time to escape. He didn't sacrifice himself, he got caught up and then was tackled on his way back to her. That whole bit was stupid as fuck. For a solid period of time, the group was being attacked by wave after wave. Now that there's only a handful of zombies, Jon feels the need to get so far away from the group?

He stared down the Night King and it looked like he was heading to take him on one on one, then got tackled by wights. It's why he screamed "Go! Leave now!" when he saw the Night King reach for another ice spear.

Vectorman

Banned

This is the same man who trusted his men and they stabbed him to death and fell into Ramsey's trap easily because Ramsey dangled Rickon like a carrot on a stick. He's a real good killer that can inspire people but a smart strategist he is not lol.

televator

See dragon on ground. Not a moving target. Aims for flying dragon that's a much harder target. Oh you.

Yeah that was another thing that bothered me. "Do I want the big dragon thats easy to hit and is carrying all my greatest enemies on it... or do I want the small one that's flying around. Hmmm... Well, which one does the plot require me to take? Okay, the small one."

This episode had too much to ignore.

Heshinsi

He stared down the Night King and it looked like he was heading to take him on one on one, then got tackled by wights. It's why he screamed "Go! Leave now!" when he saw the Night King reach for another ice spear.

I'm talking about what led up to that point. Jon was clearly going the extra mile instead of getting on Drogon right off the bat. They could have handled the few zombies that came at them, but nope, there he is being a fucking hero and soaking up valuable escape time. Visarion might have lived had they booked it early.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah that was another thing that bothered me. "Do I want the big dragon thats easy to hit and is carrying all my greatest enemies on it... or do I want the small one that's flying around. Hmmm... Well, which one does the plot require me to take? Okay, the small one."

This episode had too much to ignore.

It makes sense if he wants to not have to go back around the wastelands and shit looking for even more dead bodies to bolster his army.

Nah, Arya was crazy but she was right. She was calling out Sansa for standing there while Ned told King's Landing that he was a liar.

She was begging for his life...we have a pic further up in the thread...

nubbe

I'm talking about what led up to that point. Jon was clearly going the extra mile instead of getting on Drogon right off the bat. They could have handled the few zombies that came at them, but nope, there he is being a fucking hero and soaking up valuable escape time. Visarion might have lived had they booked it early.

most annoying part out of everything that happened

Sethista

Eh, I don't know if Jon would know. Dragons are kind of an unknown for most people as they were thought to be extinct or a myth prior to the Danny's dragons.

Come on, jon saw him raise his arms and hundreds of dead people got up. He also fought a giant frozen zombie bear! Really, what else do they need?

Also, is there like a frozen Detroit up there in the deep North, because where the fuck did they get those chains?

The Night King has been beyond the wall waiting and watching a long time, those chains could be left overs from ancient long lost settlements, or wrecked ships off the coast.

Atomic Odin

I saw that moment as his rage taking over him after he sees NK wasting the dragon. Like before when Rickon died, he had let his rage consume him for a moment and he stared down at NK fully prepared to take him one on one no matter the consequences. Its only when he sees the NK grabbing another spear and began to aim for Drogon & Dany did he snapped out of it and urges them to leave.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

He's in love. Wanted to protect his precious Dany.

Dany is going to make the Starks the rulers of Westeros after she dies. Just watch.

100% there's the reason, they keep saying: "The dragons are the only children I'll ever have" and the rule of succession.

Dany is going to realize that she doesn't want the throne because she's not a good ruler. Mereen, and Astapor are prime example.

It's her who will bend the knee to Jon and allow him to be the king of Westeros - thus the Song of Ice and Fire. The tale of Jon, who lived as a bastard to become the legitimate ruler of Westeros.

I think Sansa and Arya are definitely playing LF.

Sending Brienne away doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless it was to prevent her intervening in their 'feud'.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw that moment as his rage taking over him after he sees NK wasting the dragon. Like before when Rickon died, he had let his rage consume him for a moment and he stared down at NK fully prepared to take him one on one no matter the consequences. Its only when he sees the NK grabbing another spear and began to aim for Drogon & Dany did he snapped out of it and urges them to leave.

Very well worded, I agree.

televator

It makes sense if he wants to not have to go back around the wastelands and shit looking for even more dead bodies to bolster his army.

Drogon himself is worth most armies tho and if you defeat the figure heads keeping armies banded together against you, you might as well be able to walk right into the heart of the 7 kingdoms almost unchallenged.

Good episode but I had a couple of nitpicks such as there being too many last-minute saves and the pretty uninteresting Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger plotline.

Top Bottom