• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
100% there's the reason, they keep saying: "The dragons are the only children I'll ever have" and the rule of succession.

Dany is going to realize that she doesn't want the throne because she's not a good ruler. Mereen, and Astapor are prime example.

It's her who will bend the knee to Jon and allow him to be the king of Westeros - thus the Song of Ice and Fire. The tale of Jon, who lived as a bastard to become the legitimate ruler of Westeros.

I don't think it'll go that far (personally I think Jon dies the tragic hero's death at the end of it all), but it could well be possible.

Polo67

I really can't imagine them having this conversation just in case Littlefinger is listening lol.

I can only Imagine Arya is going to kill Littlefinger and pretend to be him to try and see if Sansa is telling the truth about her intentions.

NolbertoS

Dany is going to make the Starks the rulers of Westeros after she dies. Just watch.

Dany says she can'thave any children, but what if she slept with another Targaryen?? I have a feeling thet Dany will sleep with Jon, find out she's pregnant later in Season 8 and Jon or her sacrifice themselves to save there unborn child and him being part Stark will make the Northerners bend the knee to him and usher a new golden age in Westeroos.

Roc

Neo Member
If you're disappointed with this season and not super hopeful for the rest of the series let me hear you say YE-AH!

(This captures how I get about this episode pretty well.)

I agree completely. It made me think during the entire episode, "if this were the book, would events happen like this?" Absolutely not. I enjoyed the episode but it has changed from what it once was. I'm not complaining, I think we just have to be realistic about what it has become.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
He's in love. Wanted to protect his precious Dany.

Shit looked like the stuff guys do when they know their bo is watching in the stands lol.

100% there's the reason, they keep saying: "The dragons are the only children I'll ever have" and the rule of succession.

Dany is going to realize that she doesn't want the throne because she's not a good ruler. Mereen, and Astapor are prime example.

It's her who will bend the knee to Jon and allow him to be the king of Westeros - thus the Song of Ice and Fire. The tale of Jon, who lived as a bastard to become the legitimate ruler of Westeros.

Dany's issues in Mereen and Astapor had zero to do with being a good ruler, but rather trying to get former slavers and former slaves not to kill each other. That's not a fair comparison at all to Westeros. Also, when they keep mentioning children the way they did, and mentioning twice in the same episode that Dany thinks she can't have kids, yeah that's the sort of stuff they do when they want to do so they can later pull a, "surprise someone is going to be a mommy!"

Just before that scene, when Dany sees Jon's wounds and finally realizing she is not the only one who has gone through all kinds of hell through their lives like she said to him earlier in the season. It was a great moment.

I took it as her realizing that no, he might have legit “took a knife” for his people, which was a question she asked earlier but Jon didn’t answer

I can only Imagine Arya is going to kill Littlefinger and pretend to be him to try and see if Sansa is telling the truth about her intentions.

If Arya is wearing Littlefinger's face and acting thirsty for Sansa as part of the act, is that creepier or less creepy than Littlefinger perving on Sansa normally?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Maybe Jon will end up being king, but he really doesn't want it. He never did. All he cares about is defeating the Night King. It's all he's ever cared about.

If Dany doesn't end up queen, I think Jon only takes it because the people truly call for him, or someone else gets it entirely. Maybe Gendry lol.

Story is moving fast, and thats ok guys. HBO has full exposure to subscription analytics. This show is too big for its britches. They probably plateaued a few years ago, so it doens't make sense to keep spending money on this show each season. Continuing to increase budgets that outpace net new subs doesn't make sense. The show has to end, business and all.

Regardless I like what I see, time travel and all. Kill more mains, more blood, some tits, and maybe even dead zombie dicks.. I'm down.

edit. Spin off : Dead Zombie Dicks :: Game of Thrones Origins

Zertez

I agree. I think even the letter from Cersei was fake. Why would Cersei invite Sansa to KL?
Not only that but even if for some stupid reason Cersei did send an invitation why would Sansa agree to go in any form. Outside of Ellaria Sand and Yara, it is difficult to think of another woman who hates Cersei as much as Sansa. My memory is horrible but didn't Sansa say she didn't want anything from Cersei years ago, I can't think of a reason why Sansa would agree to a meeting except as a game with LF after he asked her to hear Cersei out.

duckroll

Dude cost us a dragon thinking he could get a few more kills in to max out his level. I'm so mad at him tonight.

Did he though? That's the real question. I heard at max level for the current expansion, he unlocks Ghost Hunter, which allows him to use his direwolf once per raid encounter.

Not only that, but both symbolically and literally, Jon is "Ice" (i.e., a Stark) and "Fire" (a Targaryen). He is legitimately the true heir to the iron throne and a symbolic joining of all the kingdoms.

The show sets up a theme at the outset of the destruction of honor at the hands of evil and Jon is the redeemer to deliver honor from its destruction.

Also, Jon not dying after being pulled under the freezing water hints at his imperviousness to ice and the cold. I would also bet that he is impervious to fire, like Dany.

MrMatt555

I didn't think this was convenience: the episode, til cold hands just comes the fuck out of nowhere and is like "here, Jon."

Zertez

If I'm not remembering wrong, she lost her fertility as part of the "witch's price" for saving Drogo with her magic. (Drogo ended up catatonic, of course. Witches are shrewd negotiators.)
I vaguely remember the witch saying that was part of the price for saving Drogo. Dang didn't care and said do it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Did he though? That's the real question. I heard at max level for the current expansion, he unlocks Ghost Hunter, which allows him to use his direwolf once per raid encounter.

Oh god no. Please never have another direwolf go at the zombies again. Zummer took out all of one zombie before being stabbed to death.

Pooya

Those looks Jon/Dany traded in the end were weird, for a second I thought Jon is dead or something lol. wtf happened in that scene. Did Jon have a boner under the sheet?

Saw a comment on reddit that made me laugh.

"Jon gets one of Dany's dragons killed, and her panties drop. Is there anything this man can't do?"

Heh.

Super hype episode, loved the dream team. Extremely excited for this meeting in the finale. Pretty much every major character left all in the same place... this is going to be batshit crazy. I am so pumped.

But maaaan... with just one episode left, I suppose season eight will be the "true war" (the white walkers finally attacking Westeros). Despite the Night King literally being the poster for season seven...

Ever since it was clear that the white walkers were real talk, I was really hyped to see when they break out and rummage through Westeros, finally shutting up every god damned person who laughs off their existence. But with just six episodes of the series remaining after the finale, I'm terrified that the "true war" will feel really rushed and that the Night King will get a really unsatisfying defeat after all this waiting.

But then again, season seven hasn't really let me down yet despite the shortened season, so here's hoping.

Macka

Jon would be a terrible king anyway. He can swing a sword but he'd be useless at 'the game'.

• He was killed by his brothers in the Night's Watch because he didn't realize how ridiculous his decisions seemed to them.
  • He played right into Ramsay's hands when he dangled Rickon in front of him, despite Sansa telling him that's exactly what he'd do in a previous scene.
  • Threatened Littlefinger just before leaving Winterfell for an indeterminate amount of time.
  • Despite knowing that men turn into Wights if they die beyond the Wall, he decided it would be easier to try and capture one than just have a traitor killed outside the Eastwatch gates. Guess he was keen for a shitty setpiece though.

That's just off the top of my head.

Jon has been on a losing streak since dying. Dude needs to get it together.

I still cant get over this stupid fucking plan. How the fuck do you leave Dragonstone without dragonglass? How the hell did he think the plan would work out? How does anyone respect Jon for this dumbassery?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

I still cant get over this stupid fucking plan. How the fuck do you leave Dragonstone without dragonglass? How the hell did he think the plan would work out? How does anyone respect Jon for this dumbassery?

Technically it was Tyrion's plan. He's the one who came up with the whole thing.

All Jon did was volunteer to go with them.

Seesaw15

To save his life. She is really the only person who tried to save him

I know that as a viewer but all Arya knows is that Sansa betrayed her before for Joffrey and was standing there silent. As soon as Joffrey orders Ned's beheading the crowd burst into cheers and Sansa's cries are muffled.

As a viewer it's contrived but there's some bases in the shows reality why Arya wouldn't trust Sansa.

Vectorman

Banned
Technically it was Tyrion's plan. He's the one who came up with the whole thing.

Yeah. Wasn't this Jorah's deal to lead the expedition initially? All Jon was doing was trying to one-up Jorah and get Dany all worried about him. What a player haha.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He had dragon glass. What do you think his crew was armed with? Everyone who didn't have a flaming or Valerian Steel sword swapped over to dragon glass axes, spears, and daggers when the wrights showed up.

Thats true. But again, as a king why would you agree to something so friggin dumb? And then go horribly unprepared?

Characters have been doing really stupid stuff lately and its really frustrating to watch. At least Jon didnt get Ghost killed tonight.

He had dragon glass. What do you think his crew was armed with? Everyone who didn't have a flaming or Valerian Steel sword swapped over to dragon glass axes, spears, and daggers when the wrights showed up.

Did they? There didnt seem to be any indication of it. The weapons looked regular.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thats true. But again, as a king why would you agree to something so friggin dumb? And then go horribly unprepared?

Characters have been doing really stupid stuff lately and its really frustrating to watch. At least Jon didnt get Ghost killed tonight.

They had dragon glass weapons though. It's not like they went up with only regular steel.

I don't recall that in the ceremony. When was this stated? I do think that between Jon and Danny, Danny is more likely to die since she's not a 1v1 fighter and that's what is necessary to continue the plot with the night king. Plus, Tyrion bringing up the succession issue with her might be a bit of foreshadowing. Meli said she was going to die inevitably, so she's a big candidate.

https://youtu.be/u82-aWUSGEw

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Desperate people do desperate things.

The funny thing about all of this is, if they never had gone, the White Walkers likely would have never been able to get past The Wall. They never have in thousands of years, what would have been different?

By going through with this stupid plan, they just gave the Night King a dragon, so he can fly over it, burn it down, whatever.

To quote a line from the movie Troy, the lion found a way to invite the wolves for dinner, so to speak.

Top Bottom