• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Night King's trump card isn't that big of a deal. The fact you can kill literally one dude and take out the biggest threat to Westeros overwrites him being able to one shot a dragon. Fucking Hot Pie could sneeze a piece of dragonglass at him and end the war. WW aren't even a threat anymore.

Dragonglass made him. There's one in him niw. What makes you think dragon glass will kill him? In fact I don't think Dragonfire kills him either. He walked right through it and nullified it easily.

Goodstyle

Would be incredibly stupid and bullshit if Jon, Dany, Stark kids and the other main characters die.

Why? Because you like them? That's a dumb criteria for who should live. If only the conventionally "likable" characters make it than this show becomes no different from LOTR.

Volgarth

I hope the ending of the show is Sam returning to the Citadel to become a real master, and in his old age he writes a chronicle of the series events. The final shot of the series is GRRM in a cameo as old Sam, closing the finished book and the title is A Song of Ice and Fire.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices of J. R. R. Tolkien fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

duckroll

Why? Because you like them? That's a dumb criteria for who should live. If only the conventionally "likable" characters make it than this show becomes no different from LOTR.

Jon is Aragon Jr. Is it really any different? Well I guess there's incest in this one.

Hydrus

No, because what is the reason for them to die? Jon and Dany are supposed to be the ones that are going to "break the cycle" of shitty rulers and wars and are supposed to bring hope to Westeros. Killing them off, is basically saying "This is game of thrones, so they will die just becasue this is what happens in this show. We need to shock people". Most of those characters I've listed all have reasons to be killed off on this show.

Goodstyle

Jon is Aragon Jr. Is it really any different? Well I guess there's incest in this one.

Good point. This show has been going down this path for a long time now, but it can still course correct by the end. I just hope it doesn't end on a saccharine, hackneyed not.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While i don't agree with keeping Starks alive just because they are good, i disagree with the notion that Jon should die just because.

He's the lead of the show. The books are called song of ice and fire which we now know is basically him. He's the main character in the books and he might die in the final episode of the next season .... Main characters die in movies and tv shows all the time but he can't die with a full season still left to go. His story needs to finish after its run its course. Not during some random battle. His death has to tie the show together.. It has to mean something. Otherwise it's just a waste of everyone's time.

HowZatOZ

Banned
One love affair that is not touched on very much: Tormund and Jon. It's amazing to me how much Jon has gained Tormund's trust and admiration. Like, I love this relationship and I am glad it's still going.

Teasing Tormund's death that didn't happen last ep was, I think, telling.

I also want more Sandor + Tormund. Wonderful pair.

Edit: I don't mean romantic love.

I feel like Tormund will go out gloriously when the time comes. Especially with how much dialogue he got this episode it's telling that the writers know he's a fan favourite. I cracked up at him talking about wanting to make babies and the "noice" moment with the word dick. Really nice character.

Monocle

I hope the ending of the show is Sam returning to the Citadel to become a real master, and in his old age he writes a chronicle of the series events. The final shot of the series is GRRM in a cameo as old Sam, closing the finished book and the title is A Song of Ice and Fire.
I would be down for this.

Goodstyle

No, because what is the reason for them to die? Jon and Dany are supposed to be the ones that are going to "break the cycle" of shitty rulers and wars and are supposed to bring hope to Westeros. Killing them off, is basically saying "This is game of thrones, so they will die just becasue this is what happens in this show. We need to shock people". Most of those characters I've listed all have reasons to be killed off on this show.
Why do all the Stark kids need to live though? And what if the wheel can't be broken? What if Dany turns out to be a hypocrite when she reaches the top as she's been hinted to be? There are a lot of interesting paths the show can take without ending with a boring Jon and Dany as king and queen finale. A good death isn't just shocking, it holds meaning. It speaks volumes about the person who died and the world they lived in.

The cycle of war and violence can never be broken. Dany's whole claim is based on the very system she thinks she can break. It's just more narcissistic preening from a wannabe revolutionary who thinks she's entitled to power because she is surrounded by insufferable sycophants who literally worship her. A character like that getting everything she wants isn't good writing, it's an unfinished arc.

Jon Snow is your standard child of prophecy. He'll definitely triumph over the Night King, but will he make it in the world that comes afterwards? The struggle is always interesting. Maybe Jon doesn't die, but maybe he doesn't get to be king either. There are 100 more interesting avenues than Jon and Dany saving the world and getting married.

duckroll

Bran should be allowed to survive. Death is too good for him.

Bran will probably morph into a giant Wierwood tree and use all his power to trap the Night King's power to allow him to be defeated, and in doing so he has to stay a tree for all eternity, continuing to keep that dark power in check.

And then Old Gilly comes in and says "Oy but Sam you've told us the tales for years, why would we read your grotty ol book?" And then GRRM looks at the camera with a knowing look and says "Because I didn't tell you the WHOLE story!" and winks and we end on a star wipe.

Goodstyle

While i don't agree with keeping Starks alive just because they are good, i disagree with the notion that Jon should die just because.

He's the lead of the show. The books are called song of ice and fire which we now know is basically him. He's the main character in the books and he might die in the final episode of the next season .... Main characters die in movies and tv shows all the time but he can't die with a full season still left to go. His story needs to finish after its run its course. Not during some random battle. His death has to tie the show together.. It has to mean something. Otherwise it's just a waste of everyone's time.
I agree that Jon shouldn't die before the final episode if at all. My issue is with arguments insisting that him and everyone he cares about needs to live happily ever after in the end.

Gobias

Banned
And then Old Gilly comes in and says "Oy but Sam you've told us the tales for years, why would we read your grotty ol book?" And then GRRM looks at the camera with a knowing look and says "Because I didn't tell you the WHOLE story!" and winks and we end on a star wipe.

That would redeem this past episode for me

Robot Pants

I'd be ok with this

"I left out a LOT of incest!" [laughtrack]

Hydrus

Why do all the Stark kids need to live though?

Two of them already died and Mom and Dad as well. Jon already died and was literally brought back to life. There is no reason for Sansa or Arya to die. Bran is the new three eyed raven, if he dies then his whole story is pointless. The whole Stark family has been a tragedy and the remaining ones alive are seeking justice.

And what if the wheel can't be broken?

Then whats the point of this show? Have Cersi sit on the throne and the same shit that happens for hundreds of years continue?

I understand we are reaching the end of this show and people are hoping for more surprises this show is known for doing, but if the past few seasons have proved anything, its that things are ending up they way it supposed to be. Just look at this past episode: Dany saves Jon and friends. Benjin saves Jon. Jon doesnt die again, even though he probably could of been killed off multiple times by now. It doesnt have to be the Jon Dany, and friends live happliy ever after, but it also shouldnt have to not be that either.

"Gilly, do you remember the tale of the vessel of the Fat Pink Mast and it's voyage through the Humid Myrish Swamps?"

"Oy, guvner, that was edited for time and content in earlier seasons!"

I think we know what one of the spinoffs is gonna be.

"D'ya want to hear the story about the time Renly and Stannis fucked?"

"Sam, that never happened."

"Didn't it, Gilly? The Maesters write the history, Gilly. The Maesters write the history."

duckroll

I would have preferred Arya died before they decided to make her terrible

Maybe she did? What if the Arya we know and love died in the river in S6, and everything after was the Waif chasing after herself to close the identity loop before taking on Arya's face forever.

Gobias

Banned
Maybe she did? What if the Arya we know and love died in the river in S6, and everything after was the Waif chasing after herself to close the identity loop before taking on Arya's face forever.

I'm starting to think you should write the final season

Kolx

So the group managed to find a small group of wights for them to ambush (how convenient), kill them and you have only one remaining (how convenient), Dany manages to arrive right at the moment everybody was going to die even when she had DAYS and yet she came at that exact moment (how convenient), the NK shooting Viserion instead of shooting Drogon who had the one raiding them (how convenient), Dany was about to leave only for Jon to arrive immediately after (how convenient), uncle Benjen arriving just when Jon needed him (how convenient). Not going to talk about how the ravens turned into emails or how uncle Benjen for some reason didn't have the time even when it's clear he could've easily escaped with Jon and the wights wouldn't catch with them. Are the writers even trying anymore?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
He's the deus ex machina of the series, like Gandalf. He can pseudo time travel, ffs. GRRM could fanfiction a billion ways for Bran to fix or destroy everything.

Night King's trump card isn't that big of a deal. The fact you can kill literally one dude and take out the biggest threat to Westeros overwrites him being able to one shot a dragon. Fucking Hot Pie could sneeze a piece of dragonglass at him and end the war. WW aren't even a threat anymore.

I think the Night King will have other tricks up his sleeve. Dude has been around for an eternity, he was bound to come up with other nifty tricks and is saving them for the right time.

Kyoufu

Bran will probably morph into a giant Wierwood tree and use all his power to trap the Night King's power to allow him to be defeated, and in doing so he has to stay a tree for all eternity, continuing to keep that dark power in check.

Why am I getting Wrath of the Lich King flashbacks so much lately.

That requires several leaps of logic in order to work.

Would the Waif go murder Walder Frey? Does she know about the list? Would Nymeria really approach the Waif? Why would The Waif go see hot pie on her way to Kings Landing? How does the Waif know about a memory of Ned watching her perform archery?

It's an interesting theory for sure, but I'm not sure it works.

Wasn't Arya's hit-list actually a direct point of tension between her and the Faceless Men, due to the fact it showed she hadn't let go of her identity?

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
So the group managed to find a small group of wights for them to ambush (how convenient), kill them and you have only one remaining (how convenient), Dany manages to arrive right at the moment everybody was going to die even when she had DAYS and yet she came at that exact moment (how convenient), the NK shooting Viserion instead of shooting Drogon who had the one raiding them (how convenient), Dany was about to leave only for Jon to arrive immediately after (how convenient), uncle Benjen arriving just when Jon needed him (how convenient). Not going to talk about how the ravens turned into emails or how uncle Benjen for some reason didn't have the time even when it's clear he could've easily escaped with Jon and the wights wouldn't catch with them. Are the writers even trying anymore?
This is where I'm at, it looked cool though

That ending had me rolling XD
Kaiba-ep01-lookwhatIgots.jpg

And this is Cersei next week...
my_trap_card.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Bayard Wu did more fan art for this episode. He has been the best artist making fan art I've seen.

https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/Fallen-Dragon-700057571
Code:
[IMG]https://img00.deviantart.net/647f/i/2017/232/2/0/fallen_dragon_by_bayardwu-dbksnvn.jpg[/IMG]

https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/Grieving-Mother-700088245
Code:
[IMG]https://img10.deviantart.net/9b65/i/2017/233/6/7/grieving_mother_by_bayardwu-dbktbjp.jpg[/IMG]

His past two pieces he did for Spoils of War and EastWatch.
https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/I-know-you-700056899
https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/Come-on-Jaime-print-for-sale-697761203

wandering

Banned
Bayard Wu did more fan art for this episode. He has been the best artist making fan art I've seen.

https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/Fallen-Dragon-700057571
Code:
[IMG]https://img00.deviantart.net/647f/i/2017/232/2/0/fallen_dragon_by_bayardwu-dbksnvn.jpg[/IMG]

https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/Grieving-Mother-700088245
Code:
[IMG]https://img10.deviantart.net/9b65/i/2017/233/6/7/grieving_mother_by_bayardwu-dbktbjp.jpg[/IMG]

His past two pieces he did for Spoils of War and EastWatch.
https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/I-know-you-700056899
https://bayardwu.deviantart.com/art/Come-on-Jaime-print-for-sale-697761203

I love how they're slightly inaccurately romanticized, as if they were paintings of a mythologized past.

Cockmagic

Neo Member

Agreed on all counts. This was a really bad episode.

I thought the action was really well directed - the shifts between very intimate and wide shots of destruction. Plus the dragonfire meets frozen lake effects.

Of course, it was bound to be an incredible episode, full of emotion and epic battles, it was directed by Alan Taylor! Who also directed:

Thor_-_The_Dark_World_poster.jpg

I'm so sorry.

Well that explains everything.

Top Bottom