• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

GreyWind

Anyone hoping they release this on Friday? Hope they are careful with the track names if it does release this Friday.

GOT7.jpg

i'm also a little confused about why Sansa is afraid of the Northern lords learning that she was betrothed and married to Joffrey and Ramsay respectively. Lyanna Mormont knew and Sansa explained that it was against her will.

They kept running at Jon single file, and have no concept of ranged weapons (well the NK does but not the rank and file). I think their "intelligence" is greatly exaggerated.

They're not mindless zombies who just attack without cause though. There is rhyme to their reason and they understand consequences through their actions. Be it through their own will power, or by control through the WW's.

They would have just kept piling into that water otherwise and they definitely wouldn't try to save their own captured wight.

If they saw you're dragonglass lawn mower contraption coming at them, they would avoid it, run away from it, or maybe try to destroy it.

You are simplifying their actions when last night proved they aren't mindless.

i'm also a little confused about why Sansa is afraid of the Northern lords learning that she was betrothed and married to Joffrey and Ramsay respectively. Lyanna Mormont knew and Sansa explained that it was against her will.
By itself, I don't think it is the end of the world. Coupled with the letter though, it might break the camel's back.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Because these guys flip flop on their positions like they're Donald Trump.

I didn't even realize they had forged dragon glass weapons already. I thought they had just mined it. Did they mention having dragon glass weapons forged and distributed along the wall and shipped to Winterfell?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Jamie never did ask if it was his child to begin with.

No he was asking what she was telling people as far as who the father was. I don't think he even doubts that's his kid. That's when Cersei asked him about what papa Tywin would say about lions and sheep.

The big problem with totally rad dragonglass threshing machines is that obsidian isn't very durable at all, so it's basically just going to shatter or chip down to nothing in a very short span of time.

Honestly even Tormund's axe is probably good for a single battle and then it's going to be chipped to oblivion and have to be replaced. Better to just make it into arrowheads. (Though obviously they couldn't have archers in this episode without sort of ruining the entire Frozen Lake standoff.)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
To be fair there's no way anyone who just casually watches the show would pick up in any of the theories like that.

You have to watch the show EXTREMELY casually and live under a rock not to pick up on this, though. Even if you didn't put 2 and 2 together, the litany of people talking about their incestius shipping should've clued you in long ago.

The big problem with totally rad dragonglass threshing machines is that obsidian isn't very durable at all, so it's basically just going to shatter or chip down to nothing in a very short span of time.

Honestly even Tormund's axe is probably good for a single battle and then it's going to be chipped to oblivion and have to be replaced. Better to just make it into arrowheads. (Though obviously they couldn't have archers in this episode without sort of ruining the entire Frozen Lake standoff.)

most of the dragonglass weapons have been arrowheads, I think

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay new idea. Just a giant boulder of obsidian. You roll it over wights.

Speely

Banned
One love affair that is not touched on very much: Tormund and Jon. It's amazing to me how much Jon has gained Tormund's trust and admiration. Like, I love this relationship and I am glad it's still going.

Teasing Tormund's death that didn't happen last ep was, I think, telling.

I also want more Sandor + Tormund. Wonderful pair.

Edit: I don't mean romantic love.

Einchy

This is what spoilers steal from people

god its so beautiful haha

I would've been SO goddamn mad if I knew Viserion was going to die. Not in a million years did I think we were going to get dragon v white walkers in this episode or that a dragon would die.

NimbusD

You have to watch the show EXTREMELY casually and live under a rock not to pick up on this, though. Even if you didn't put 2 and 2 together, the litany of people talking about their incestius shipping should've clued you in long ago.
Yes... casually.

Casual watching is not reading message boards about shipping characters. My point still holds lol. There's maybe 1 scene in all of the show that would hint at it without any outside knowledge of fan debates that would hint at it, 2 if I'm being generous. And in a show like this, one or 2 scenes are easy to miss.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is what spoilers steal from people

god its so beautiful haha

wait is that the Theondisappoint guy?
Exactly. Moments like these are filled with hella tension on this show because you never know whether or not the characters are gonna make it. ESPECIALLY since there's rarely any clutch saves. And yea that's him.

Volimar

The succession scene did seem superfluous considering the pace of these episodes. Time could have been better spent elsewhere.

Einchy

Yes... casually.

Casual watching is not reading message boards about shipping characters. My point still holds lol. There's maybe 1 scene in all of the show that would hint at it without any outside knowledge of fan debates that would hint at it, 2 if I'm being generous. And in a show like this, one or 2 scenes are easy to miss.

Are casual viewers not going on Twitter or Facebook? Who are these people who pay for HBO but never look at the internet? Even my sister who is the most casual of casual viewers, who I have to explain most plot details to, had seen incest talk on her Facebook and was wondering wtf that was about since Jon was a Stark. Then she knew once we watched season 6.

However, just in the show, Lyanna being kidnapped by Rhaegar had been brought up a bunch of times.

I really don't think we need a bunch of obvious dialogue drawing attention to the dragonglass weapons. What would be good is just to have a better look at them and have better directed action. That aside, I think the real missed opportunity is that they have Gendry, who is a blacksmith, who was recruited into the story for ????????? reasons, and instead of having him put his blacksmith experience to good logical use they used him as a bonus party member and a messenger boy. Why? Once he arrived at Dragonstone, there should have been a makeshift forge where they were already using the mined dragonglass to make weapons, and Gendry should help out there. He can still join the mission after, but that would have shown that there is serious thought put into the planning of the mission and also naturally lead the audience to understand that the party is going to be well armed.
I missed this earlier, but yes. Completely agreed. I am praying they don't miss the opportunity and still get Gendry to cook some stuff up. Hell...maybe he figures out how to make Valyrian steel? Though now that I think about it, maybe with Sam's help from the books and his awesome smithing skills...that's how he cooks it up?

Volimar

Are casual viewers not going on Twitter or Facebook? Who are these people who pay for HBO but never look at the internet? Even my sister who is the most casual of casual viewers, who I have to explain most plot details to, had seen incest talk on her Facebook and was wondering wtf that was about since Jon was a Stark. Then she knew once we watched season 6.

My Amish watch group is completely lost.

Einchy

The succession scene did seem superfluous considering the pace of these episodes. Time could have been better spent elsewhere.

All the stuff beyond the Wall was fantastic but I do think we cut back a bit too much to Winterfell and Dragonstone. These big battles work better if we just stay with them, like if Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and others.

NimbusD

However, just in the show, Lyanna being kidnapped by Rhaegar had been brought up a bunch of times.
Yeah I dunno, agree to disagree. I'm not saying it's a spoiler or anything like that, just I can very much see how a casual viewer wouldn't put those pieces together.

Which is interesting, when they finally say it out loud in the show I bet you it'll be revealed like it's a huge revelation, lol.

Einchy

Saw this on Reddit.
HBO Now/Go continues to be shit.
Code:
[IMG]https://i.redd.it/876rfexqo4hz.png[/IMG]

It's honestly how bad they're about this with their shows, the thumbnail has spoiled a bunch of things while I watch The Sopranos. Also, it's the worst player ever.
I missed this earlier, but yes. Completely agreed. I am praying they don't miss the opportunity and still get Gendry to cook some stuff up. Hell...maybe he figures out how to make Valyrian steel? Though now that I think about it, maybe with Sam's help from the books and his awesome smithing skills...that's how he cooks it up?

My theory is that Valyrian Steel is made by forging Dragonglass with dragonfire.

Posted?

The director of Thor 2 The Dark World and Terminator Genisys fucking OWNED GAF's shitty hot takes: http://www.newsweek.com/game-thrones-season-7-pace-criticism-director-alan-taylor-653038

Suck it haters, etc.

Lol.

The problem is not the airspeed of the raven. It's the whole dues ex machina nature of the situation. The moment Gendry escapes and runs to the wall (another ugh) you know Dragons are coming as they've contrived a situation to stop the army of the dead for a while. You can see the general end game before it happens. That is not compelling storytelling.

It may have been entertaining on a smash and burn things level but it was not the smart storytelling the series has become known for. They almost seem to know it and twist it by reanimating the dragon, but you knew that was going to happen the moment it died on the field. Then they do another dues ex with Benjen. Oh and then they just need to kill one guy to end the entire army? Now we can see the general outline of the final endgame too. Bet it'll be dramatic!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Saw this on Reddit.
Code:

It's honestly how bad they're about this with their shows, the thumbnail has spoiled a bunch of things while I watch The Sopranos. Also, it's the worst player ever.

My theory is that Valyrian Steel is made by forging Dragonglass with dragonfire.
They usually wait an hour to put that up so yea anyone not on the ball is pretty fucked.

Saw this on Reddit.
Code:

Wow. How the fuck do they keep doing that?! HBO Go ruined the "loot train" or whatever attack. I stayed spoiler free all week, loaded it up, and an Anatomy thing was right at the main screen that showed Dany on Drogon attacking the wagons. Good lord. I clicked through it as fast as I could so my girlfriend didn't see, so at least she was surprised.

The problem is not the airspeed of the raven. It's the whole dues ex machina nature of the situation. The moment Gendry escapes and runs to the wall (another ugh) you know Dragons are coming as they've contrived a situation to stop the army of the dead for a while. You can see the general end game before it happens. That is not compelling storytelling.

It may have been entertaining on a smash and burn things level but it was not the smart storytelling the series has become known for. They almost seem to know it and twist it by reanimating the dragon, but you knew that was going to happen the moment it died on the field. Then they do another dues ex with Benjen. Oh and then they just need to kill one guy to end the entire army? Now we can see the general outline of the final endgame too. Bet it'll be dramatic!
Yeah. You're right there. Mix this with the fact that people were getting spoiled all week, and that any one can put 1+1 together to understand if you're getting spoiled on YouTube, you're getting spoiled over a death...and we're left with "there must be a twist here since we know what is coming." So the twist turned into an obvious "Someone is dying." And dragons were way high up on that list. While I enjoyed this episode, there was just about nothing surprising to it.

See this is a great idea.

how fucked up would it be if Jon is at a crossroads next season, and he's urging all of his Northern people to flee to Dragonstone as it's the safest place they can be with all the obsidian. And they refuse. And then Jon has to choose between staying at Winterfell, or going to Dragonstone.

(this is assuming after he finds out about his parents, so he has to choose between his mother's side of the family or his father's)

Top Bottom