• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

televator

How do the ravens work anyway? How do ravens at Eastwatch know where Dragonstone is? I mean it's not some piddly little continent like Europe we're talking about, Westeros is fucking huge isn't it? That's like a full on migration flight for birds.

That's what I was thinking. Like how did the raven know it had an express urgent message? I mean I'm sure birds take a break once in a while? They stop by their favorite bird bath get some water and "awww yiisss mothafucken breadcrumbs" along the way. Last episode's raven though was like "Activate booster rockets. Dragonstone or die trying."

All of this. Good article.

If you're disappointed with this season and not super hopeful for the rest of the series let me hear you say YE-AH!

(This captures how I get about this episode pretty well.)

yeah there are a lot of good points in that article. this episode could have been much better if some of the events were just rearranged.

first off, why did they make Gendry seem like a doofus? he ain't one. "your lips are moving and you're complaining about something. that's whinging." and then, what, the brotherhood are supposed to be in the right in this situation? if i were gendry i would've been like "listen to me you big fuck, they didn't kill me because ser davos smuggled me out of the damn jail cell! otherwise, YES, she would've killed the shit out of me you motherfuckers! so fuck you!" i'll get back to Gendry later.

second off, I get that there were a bunch of important conversations that had to take place, I get that, but never should there have been a moment where the tension is just killed off so much. it should've never stopped snowing. it didn't have to be a blizzard the whole time - for instance, when the zombie polar bear showed up, and they killed it, at that point maybe the blizzard could've chilled down to the snowstorm that I linked, idk if in this episode the snow was CGI or not,

but all the shit should've hit the fan once the polar bear showed up. it comes in, kills a guide, and then kills Thoros. He should've just died there. ALL of the important convos, should've happened before the zombie polar bear shows up. it's a blizzard, the zombie bear comes, attacks and kills a scout and Thoros, and is taken down by dragonglass (btw why didn't the zombie drop dead once it was lit up?), after that point the blizzard tames to a regular snowstorm so that they can see, and they see that the rest of the dead are not far, so they do what they have to do - get their one zombie prisoner and then move their asses onto the lake.

the whole "send Gendry back to Eastwatch" was bullshit. Come on... they shouldn't have made Gendry a doofus and they shouldn't have had Gendry leave the squad. He should've been there, with the posse the whole time and in between cutting to Dany & Tyrion, they should've just shown a scene of her being so damn worried that she just goes "ok i can't take it anymore. something doesn't feel right, i'm going to to the north myself and i'm bringing my dragons with me" (of course, played out in a more eloquent way) and then we could've avoided another stupid plot point of fast travel/teleportation and instant messenger ravens, AND we would get more of Gendry kicking ass since he'd stay with the team.

i'm kinda torn about the whole "dumb cunt" thing with the hound. on the one hand it was cool when he knocked the zombie's jaw off but on the other hand, again i don't like how they killed tension by having a segment of the team on an island as a "safe zone" for time to pass in the episode. at best they should've been depicted as being there for like, 20 to 40 minutes and then Jon makes everyone fall back, feel hopeless until the dragons come.

i'm not even gonna get into the whole stupid Winterfell drama. The only reason I don't mind it is because I like the chemistry (even if it is an animosity) that the Stark actresses have together. I liked Sansa's portrayal this episode, the way she talked about Jon & the North when she was alone with Petyr but I feel like she should've been able to at least suspect that it was he who was responsible for having that letter reach Arya's hands. And it's indefensible how Bran is not in this episode; he's definitely going to be in the season finale so his absence was just to not interrupt the buildup of this stupid drama. Sansa's the only Stark who's not annoying to watch. Arya and Bran? smh. At least Arya's acting is better.

And there wasn't even any King's Landing in this episode, was there? Or maybe there was and I'm mistaken

edit: and the last big issue for me was how Viserion got killed. If the Night king is superhuman enough to throw a javelin with significantly more velocity than Qyburn's scorpio then he's so OP that he doesn't even need to worry about fighting humans on his own. Even though Jon has killed multiple white walkers. What they should've shown in my opinion, was him doing something similar to what Jaime did, except come out successful from it. Charge at Viserion on his zombie horse at the edge of the frozen lake, then either jump off the zombie and throw the spear & cut to a summersault after Viserion is hit, or throw the spear on the horse. I think that would've been much better than the throw. The only thing I can see how this wouldn't work is that it would be "out of character" for the Night king to behave like that when normally he acts calmly and not rash - but, we don't really know much or anything about this character and what he's physically capable of so a charge and leap off wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility in my opinion.

MoeDabs

CVZjxplVAAAPlXN.png

VS

Doesnt seem like a reflection. Maybe Bran warging?

I mean it could be something crazy like that. But why and what purpose?

Fanuilos

That's what I was thinking. Like how did the raven know it had an express urgent message? I mean I'm sure birds take a break once in a while? They stop by their favorite bird bath get some water and "awww yiisss mothafucken breadcrumbs" along the way. Last episode's raven though was like "Activate booster rockets. Dragonstone or die trying."

You're not wrong, but the show has been doing this the whole time. Back in season one Robb goes from getting the letter from Sansa asking him to come to Kings Landing to calling all the bannermen of the North to Winterfell to forming his army and marching south in one episode.

lol not to mention it's probably been years since Eastwatch has needed its Dragonstone raven. He was probably living the easy life in his cage, getting fat and lazy and forgetting the direction.

Just about, yeah.

"Most ravens are trained to fly to a specific castle, but some few can be taught to fly between two castles and are therefore greatly prized. Once in a very great while, a raven can learn the names of three or four or even five castles, and fly to each upon command. Birds as clever as that come along only once in a hundred years."
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Raven

All right, I'll buy that... for now.

Goodstyle

Guys, the only way for the show not to be a standard fantasy is to have Cersei still on the throne when the series ends. It has to be done. She's the only one who's still playing the Game of Thrones, while everyone else is committed to vanquishing some great evil.

also can the whole fan theory of the 3 headed dragon being dany/jon/tyrion being the riders be put to rest now that one of the dragons is a zombie?

I now watch this show for nostalgia, a few actors, and because it's the Avatar of TV shows. Biggest budget ever, cultural sensation, etc.The writing and story are bad. There's no getting around that anymore. I enjoy it for what it is.

Zetta

I don't understand how this mission falls on Jon for being dumb, this falls on Tyrion so much. Hell I don't even think Jon wants to do this for Cersei but more so that Dany will help with the NK, he wanted to go to Eastwatch to fight them off. Concerning Arya I'm still on the "She and Sansa are working LF" boat, well hoping otherwise this is horrible.

I don't understand how this mission falls on Jon for being dumb, this falls on Tyrion so much. Hell I don't even think Jon wants to do this for Cersei but more so that Dany will help with the NK, he wanted to go to Eastwatch to fight them off.
This whole suicide mission was Tyrion's idea. When he looked back at Dany in the council room he looked apathetic to letting Jon go there.

Why is Jon at fault here?

duckroll

This whole suicide mission was Tyrion's idea. When he looked back at Dany in the council room he looked apathetic to letting Jon go there.

Why is Jon at fault here?

Tyrion's stupid idea is to bring a wight back as "proof" for Cersei. Jon's stupid idea is that he should lead the mission himself and not bring any dragonglass with him. Instead he adds a lvl1 character to the party armed with a warhammer.

Guys, the only way for the show not to be a standard fantasy is to have Cersei still on the throne when the series ends. It has to be done. She's the only one who's still playing the Game of Thrones, while everyone else is committed to vanquishing some great evil.

Im going with the theory that the Maesters of the Citadel find a way to banish magic from Westeros.

Is it significant that Viserion was personally reanimated by the Night King? Does it make him somewhat more powerful than an unthinking Wight?

Yes I think so. That polar bear seemed larger and more fierce than a normal bear. Also those wights were pretty fast so I think Viserion will be stronger bigger and faster than Drogon when we see him again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Tyrion's stupid idea is to bring a wight back as "proof" for Cersei. Jon's stupid idea is that he should lead the mission himself and not bring any dragonglass with him. Instead he adds a lvl1 character to the party armed with a warhammer.

They actually did have dragonglass, someone brings out a dagger to kill the polar bear and then almost all of them bring out their dragonglass weapon when they're getting rushed.

duckroll

Why does bran have a gigantic stick up his ass? The last TER was cool and looked like a normal person?

Because he's Bran Stark.

peReEdc.jpg

They actually did have dragonglass, someone brings out a dagger to kill the polar bear and then almost all of them bring out their dragonglass weapon when they're getting rushed.

Really? I couldn't really tell the way the action was directed, but that's cool I guess.

Ferrio

Banned
Bringing the zombie back doesn't feel as stupid if you think of it as convincing everyone else but Cersei. How will everyone else react if Cersei just ignores the threat even though there's proof. I know I'd want to change allegiance quick.

Zetta

Jon's reason for going is a valid one since aside from the wilderlings he has the most experience. Also like Davos says the wilderlings were not going to listen to Jorah or anyone else for that matter so he had no choice tbh. I don't see the problem with bringing Gendry, can always use a warhammer.

It's too bad they don't have cameras. Just take a picture of the white walkers and run back. Or if this were a comedy, you have one of the wildings dress up as a white walker. Get the makeup going and such. Queue the Benny Hilly music when Cersei starts stabbing and burning him to test if he is undead.

duckroll

Bringing the zombie back doesn't feel as stupid if you think of it as convincing everyone else but Cersei. How will everyone else react if Cersei just ignores the threat even though there's proof. I know I'd want to change allegiance quick.

How will everyone else react if Cersei blows up the main church in the middle of the city, killing hundreds of people and all her political rivals including the beloved young queen of the people and the High Sparrow whose grip on the city was ironclad?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Really? I couldn't really tell the way the action was directed, but that's cool I guess.

Tormund had this cool...axe? Not sure what you'd call it.
dLoglkC.png

While Jorah was using this short sword thing and dagger.
KEQlAa2.png

At some point The Hound drops Gendry's hammer and takes this thing out. He also has a dagger in his left hand but it takes it out too quickly, couldn't get a clear shot of it.
vKkZRXo.png

Ferrio

Banned
How will everyone else react if Cersei blows up the main church in the middle of the city, killing hundreds of people and all her political rivals including the beloved young queen of the people and the High Sparrow whose grip on the city was ironclad?

Got me there.

jett

D-Member

This is where D&D really failed. Should've showed a teensy bit of city turmoil at least. But no, things are just breezy at King's Landing.

Why does bran have a gigantic stick up his ass? The last TER was cool and looked like a normal person?

I'm fairly certain the prior Three-Eyed Raven was a badass dude of many accomplishments before becoming Dr. Manhattan. Unfortunately, Bran's greatest accomplishment before becoming One With Nothing was being 50% resistant to falling damage.

Goodstyle

This is where D&D really failed. Should've showed a teensy bit of city turmoil at least. But no, things are just breezy at King's Landing.

There should have been a mini arc of Cersei crushing a rebellion using Qyburn's birds and her Kingsguard. We're supposed to believe that people follow her out of fear, but all we have is people telling us that with little showing. The only thing we got was the Mountain killing some guy for talking shit about her in S6, but that's not enough screentime. I thought we'd get more of that in S7, but apparently not.

Reason #45643 why this season should have been 10 episodes.

hobozero

I thought the action was really well directed - the shifts between very intimate and wide shots of destruction. Plus the dragonfire meets frozen lake effects.

Of course, it was bound to be an incredible episode, full of emotion and epic battles, it was directed by Alan Taylor! Who also directed:

Thor_-_The_Dark_World_poster.jpg

I'm so sorry.

duckroll

At some point The Hound drops Gendry's hammer and takes this thing out. He also has a dagger in his left hand but it takes it out too quickly, couldn't get a clear shot of it.

Those look so cool in still screens. Wish we got a better look at them during the actual fight. The production design in the show is definitely A+, and the stunt guys put in a ton of work too. The season deserved better directors.

adj_noun

The Great Sept of Baelor was poisoned by its enemies.

Hey, how do you know Viserion was killed and not Rhaegal. I'm not doubting it but it's never mentioned which dragon was killed. Never paid attention to their colors other than Drogon being black.

y2dvd

The thing about what makes this whole "fetch a wight" quest silly is Cersei has a freakin zombie warrior already. Why wouldn't Cersei think that Dany had her own necromancer to revive this wight they are providing as proof? Again, the most logical thing would be to convince Cersei to send some damn scouts and report back the white walkers.

dLoglkC.png

KEQlAa2.png

vKkZRXo.png

People shouldn't have to guess. A quick line from anyone saying: "Let them come, we have dragon glass and valyrian steel"

Done.

Top Bottom