• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

BraXzy

I gotta call absolute bullshit on people predicting a zombie ice dragon in this (and previous threads). These and other 'predictions' which people seem to be treating as a given certainty (like the Jamie killing Cersei thing) are so dubious. Ah well, too late to complain I guess since it's been something everyone's been discussing for the past two seasons.

I haven't gone near a single leak and I had my suspicions that the White Walkers would get one somehow for at least a year based on them raising the dead. The way it happened was impossible to predict though.

pringles

It's a shame that all the characters now have plot armour to an extent. It sucks seeing your favourites go but it did add dread to every close moment. I suppose now with all the major players well and truly established, and no new characters really introduced and fleshed out in the last season or two, there's no one left to feed to the hounds.

I do hope we get some unexpected bits yet though.
The groundwork they've done in the past 6 seasons is what makes all these big action setpieces work so well. If you truly sit there thinking no one is going to die you're.. better at predicting the show than I am. I was fearful for everyone in that group. I thought Tormund was a goner. I was sad to see Thoros and Viserion gone. For a moment I even thought it was possible Jon was actually going to die or get captured.
These episodes have been super tense to me.

Plot hole.
Except there was a wight on the southern side of the wall in like.. season 1.

Thought Bran broke the magic crossing the wall? It's just an ordinary wall of ice now?
I don't think that was ever more than speculation.

Camwi

The Night King is going to use the dragon that got turned to burn a hole in the Wall, isn't he?

Absolutely. I originally thought it'd turn into a frost dragon, but yeah, makes more sense as the only possible way for them to get through the physicality and the magic of the wall is through dragon fire.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
whats is this theory about bran being the night king? I'm seeing people put their faces together and say they look the same.

Stupid theory imo. That would imply that Bran went into the past physically(and not just as an invisible observer visiting with his mind), got stuck there, and stupidly decided to go to the Children of the Forest knowing what would happen.

Woz

Jon is a terrible ruler in the first place, great fighter and general but dumb tactician and has literally fucked up so bad that his own men including a little kid stabbed him to death.

(Some) of his own men killed him because they felt he betrayed the Nightwacht making truce with the wildlings, not because he fucked up something (what?).

Vashetti

Banned

Perhaps it's the Walkers themselves and the Night King that can't cross then.

But they established through Benjen in S6 that there is magic in the Wall preventing them from crossing.

Sephzilla

My guess is that the White Walkers have always been able to cross the wall. They simply haven't yet because they wanted to build their forces and wait for someone to do something stupid (like practically hand over a dragon, for instance). And since the Night King clearly has some supernatural elements to him, like being able to see the Three Eyed Raven, then maybe he has a little bit of ability to see future events or something.

This would help explain why the Wight they captured can cross the wall and how that other Wight showed up in Castle Black.

y2dvd

The Mountain isn't a zombie, nor do I think anyone but Qyburn really knows the deal with him. Scouts wouldn't convince Cersei. It'd be like expecting Trump to believe the word of environmental scientists and top advisors on global warming, when you know damn well he's not going to believe in it until Trump Tower is getting flooded by sea level rise.

Whatever The Mountain technically is, it wouldn't be too surprising if someone else was able to do it. And why wouldn't Cersei believe her own scouts? Presumably, they informed her of Bronn meeting with Tyrion and Tyrion meeting with Jaime. She has capable scouts. Why would one wight that Cersei has never seen before convince her of the threat when she could send her own people to confirm? The current setup is even riskier to her, agreeing to meet with the enemies and be shown this proof of white walkers.

It's the dumbest plan and I don't know why anyone keeps defending it.

FiggyCal

Banned
My guess is that the White Walkers have always been able to cross the wall. They simply haven't yet because they wanted to build their forces and wait for someone to do something stupid (like practically hand over a dragon, for instance). And since the Night King clearly has some supernatural elements to him, like being able to see the Three Eyed Raven, then maybe he has a little bit of ability to see future events or something.

This would help explain why the Wight they captured can cross the wall and how that other Wight showed up in Castle Black.
The thing is that the wights weren't able to get into the cave where the three eyed raven was. They exploded as soon as they stepped foot in it (until Bran fucked up). Maybe that's why Jon Snow and company are going around by sea? To avoid the wall's magic. But that doesn't explain why a wight was able to get past the Wall in season 1.

Sephzilla

Whatever The Mountain technically is, it wouldn't be too surprising if someone else was able to do it. And why wouldn't Cersei believe her own scouts? Presumably, they informed her of Bronn meeting with Tyrion and Tyrion meeting with Jaime. She has capable scouts. Why would one wight that Cersei has never seen before convince her of the threat when she could send her own people to confirm? The current setup is even riskier to her, agreeing to meet with the enemies and be shown this proof of white walkers.

Because she's nuts

Goodstyle

Two of them already died and Mom and Dad as well. Jon already died and was literally brought back to life. There is no reason for Sansa or Arya to die. Bran is the new three eyed raven, if he dies then his whole story is pointless. The whole Stark family has been a tragedy and the remaining ones alive are seeking justice.

Then whats the point of this show? Have Cersi sit on the throne and the same shit that happens for hundreds of years continue?

I understand we are reaching the end of this show and people are hoping for more surprises this show is known for doing, but if the past few seasons have proved anything, its that things are ending up they way it supposed to be. Just look at this past episode: Dany saves Jon and friends. Benjin saves Jon. Jon doesnt die again, even though he probably could of been killed off multiple times by now. It doesnt have to be the Jon Dany, and friends live happliy ever after, but it also shouldnt have to not be that either.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because even though the Stark family has been through a lot of tragedy, that still shouldn't mean they should all live. And they aren't all seeking justice. Jon wants to save the world, Sansa wants power, Arya wants revenge. A character like Arya absolutely should die, since her whole character Arc revolves around death.

The main issue I have with your logic too is that it can apply to all sorts of things. "Why have X die if they already did all this?" can be said of every good person who's died so far on this show.

We'll see how things shake out, but if you believe none of the heroes will be dying towards the end in S8, I think you will be disappointed.

Also, for the record, I do think Cersei winning in the end would make for a better ending. She contrasts so well with the heroes of the story because she's the only one focused on playing the game. If she sees the wight walkers, she won't see them as some special existential threat. They'll just be more enemies that are between her and the throne. A character like that winning out would be like siding with cold reality against the high fantasy of the series end game.

"When you play the game of thrones you win or you die, there is no middle ground", Cersei is the only one who understands this and she should win because of that. It'd be a nice chilling ending for a show that's always been about backstabbing and power grabbing. In the end, the most conniving and privileged schemer won, what did you expect?

I thought the Fern Gully Kids used bombs to blow up those wights.

Magic dragon breath burns down the wall, lets the White Walkers through. Or something something Bran.

The annoying thing about the now invincible Starks is not that they don't die, it's that you know they can't die because of their plot armour and yet the writers keep throwing them into faux fatal situations.

FiggyCal

Banned

Magic dragon breath burns down the wall, lets the White Walkers through. Or something something Bran.

The annoying thing about the now invincible Starks is not that they don't die, it's that you know they can't die because of their plot armour and yet the writers keep throwing them into faux fatal situations.

Yes that happened also. But after they fell back, a few skeletons ran in and exploded after a few feet.
https://youtu.be/lrN5WSHtlkI

JakeD

it's unlikely but not the most ridiculous theory:

-Hold The Door and Ned at the tower showed that bran is more than just an invisible spectator,
-they changed the actor and the new one looks more like Bran
-current Bran has become more detached and lacks any emotion, like the NK is depicted

its however possible the last 2 are coincidences, and the Ned incident was just foreshadowing for Hold The Door

Gobias

Banned
Cersei killing everyone and keeping the cycle going is kind of the ending I'm hoping for now. The biggest thing missing this season is political intrigue in King's Landing. There should be so much fallout from her blowing everyone up but the show put that aside because it doesn't care about that stuff anymore.

They already showed how the Night King was made. Poison Ivy stuck some dragonglass in a First Man.
Cersei killing everyone and keeping the cycle going is kind of the ending I'm hoping for now. The biggest thing missing this season is political intrigue in King's Landing. There should be so much fallout from her blowing everyone up but the show put that aside because it doesn't care about that stuff anymore.
There's really no one left there but Cersei.

Sephzilla

The reason there's no political intrigue left anymore is because Cersei nuked everyone left that was a rival to her.

Melon Husk

Fast forward through everything. Oh well. I appreciate the action it but had three episodes' worth of it. Character development is suffering from writing and the time alotted to it.
My reaction whenever someone died

101550.jpg

Yeah that was both hilarious and confusing because I feel like if the extras weren't dying, they weren't on screen at all.

Plus I'm like 90% sure it was the same extra that died like 3 different times lmao

They piccolos? Where did they come from? Why didn't Jon message his sisters about his plans? Were they on a field trip, how could Gendry just run back to the wall? Why did Gendry collapse at the gate when he was fine just a few miles back? Has Arya been carrying rubber masks in her bag all this time? Does she clean them regularly with a brush and soap? So many questions.

Window

I find it hard to believe that people are giving even a slight consideration to the Bran is the Night King theory. It's the dumbest thing I've heard in reference to this show.

FiggyCal

Banned
Speaking of which. I think that's the same whitewalker that's been killed 3(?) times now.

I find it hard to believe that people are giving even a slight consideration to the Bran is the Night King theory. It's the dumbest thing I've heard in reference to this show.

I think so too. We saw the first whitewalker being created thousands of years ago. It doesn't even make sense with Bran's limited time travel powers.

Sephzilla

Yeah, that theory makes zero sense to me. The Night King being a zombified time traveling Joffrey makes about as much sense

I would assume if you were going to do the "Bran is the Night King" theory it would have to come part and parcel with some sort of Lich King scenario where the Night King was created to control the White Walkers, and Bran becoming the Night King is the theoretical solution to the problem.

That said, speaking as someone who quit WoW immediately after beating the Icecrown Citadel raid: I sure fucking hope they can do better than that.

Gobias

Banned
They already showed how the Night King was made. Poison Ivy stuck some dragonglass in a First Man.
There's really no one left there but Cersei.

The reason there's no political intrigue left anymore is because Cersei nuked everyone left that was a rival to her.

Fair enough, but I would rather have time spent on developing the new small council, or Cersei having to deal with the common people, then with shit like Euron. Or if you're gonna bring Gendry back maybe keep him there instead of a pointless trek to the North. Something.

The Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger/DAKINGINDANORF mess is supposed to be the new political part of the show.

And yeah it's a piss-poor replacement, but there were some pretty shitty walks through the Betrayal Garden and go-nowhere bumblings with the Sept if you cast your mind back. The political side of the show has always been a slow burn with lots of misses mixed in with a few heavy hits.

Acorn

No kidding.

Jon Snow is the biggest offender, they are ruining his character by having him get saved time and time again.

My guess is that the White Walkers have always been able to cross the wall.

It might be as simple as wights can cross the wall in certain limited circumstances, but the Night King/White Walkers can't at all.

Benjen appears to be much closer to the type of beings the Night King and the white walkers are, if he can't get through the wall because of spells, it seems logical that is true with the Night King.

pringles

Fair enough, but I would rather have time spent on developing the new small council, or Cersei having to deal with the common people. Or if you're gonna bring Gendry back maybe keep him there instead of a pointless trek to the North. Something.
What new small council? What dealing with the common people? At what point in the last 7 seasons did Cersei care about the common people? And how much do you think the common people would revolt against a leader that basically dropped a nuke on the city?

Big difference believing in meetings down south and believing some random scout coming back from the north talking about an army of the dead and how she should stop fighting Dany because of it. Maybe if it was Jaime. Not that I think Cersei will just buy it even if they bring her that wight, but it's at least hard, visual evidence. Like Dany says in this episode, you have to see it for yourself to believe it. I don't know what other plan would be better.

Hindl

giphy.gif

This is my problem with the show now. It's fine if you have characters that you need to survive to the end. But there was so much dumb shit last episode where people responded "Well Jon has plot armor what do you expect". But that's not the right answer to getting out of these problems. The answer is to not write your characters into these ridiculous situations where the only way out is to go "he's important he can't die" in the first place

Camwi

The groundwork they've done in the past 6 seasons is what makes all these big action setpieces work so well. If you truly sit there thinking no one is going to die you're.. better at predicting the show than I am. I was fearful for everyone in that group. I thought Tormund was a goner. I was sad to see Thoros and Viserion gone. For a moment I even thought it was possible Jon was actually going to die or get captured.
These episodes have been super tense to me.

I don't think that was ever more than speculation.

Though technically it didn't become "undead" until after it had already crossed the wall, so maybe it was set-up like a time bomb using magic. Though, that magic still shouldn't be in effect once it hits the wall.

You know what, let's just go with plot hole.

Tuck

Game Of Thrones Season 1-5 : Episodes A,B,C,D "Fuck You HBO...nothing happened during these episodes , its just filler stuff !!"

Game Of Thrones Season 7 : Episodes E,F,G : "Fuck You HBO... Everything is being rushed !! "

Welcome to the Internet in 2017...sad but true
I don't see how that's contradictory.

Gin-Shiio

I gotta call absolute bullshit on people predicting a zombie ice dragon in this (and previous threads). These and other 'predictions' which people seem to be treating as a given certainty (like the Jamie killing Cersei thing) are so dubious. Ah well, too late to complain I guess since it's been something everyone's been discussing for the past two seasons.

I did not take a look at the leaks, but still was hoping for a zombie dragon. I first got the idea when seeing the primary promo poster for this season showing off one of the dragons chilling on the wall. All you need is some imagination!

FiggyCal

Banned
I never once got the impression that season 1-4 was just filler or moved too slow.

Season 7 is just ridiculous. I don't agree with the idea that "it's coming to an end and so therefore you have to throw away good pacing". It's dumb. And it's inconsistent with both the series in general and also the rest of the pacing for this season: Euron was everywhere in the first couple of episodes and then just disappeared; we've ignored the sand snakes; we ignored Yara; we ignored Greyworm and the unsullied.

And then we have just dumb, dumb fucking storylines. The whole plan to capture the wight and bring it to Cersei is just really bad, like they needed a highlight for the season, but didn't want to plan out the details. It would've even been better if they sent the wight to the Maesters, and try to work that angle against Cersei. In fact, the whole situation could be resolved in a day if Dany just attacks King's Landing - it's a problem they created for themselves that could still be fixed really easily. And then Theon just disappears after Dany returns, even though he said he wanted to talk to her about his sister. And then there are a million scenes of dialogue they just ignored: Gendry being with Arya for a year, Sam healing Jorah, Jon working with Aemmon, the Hound being with Arya for a really long time, etc. Like why does Gendry care so much about two men (his dad and Ned) who he never really knew, but doesn't tell Jon that Arya was a good friend for the better part of like 2 seasons? This is a bad season.

Edit: I think the last episode was well handled though, even if the plan itself was a mistake.

Top Bottom