• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Vashetti

Banned
Though technically it didn't become "undead" until after it had already crossed the wall, so maybe it was set-up like a time bomb using magic. Though, that magic still shouldn't be in effect once it hits the wall.

You know what, let's just go with plot hole.

It was undead, Sam remarked how it was strange how the bodies didn't smell and weren't decomposing.

I did not take a look at the leaks, but still was hoping for a zombie dragon. I first got the idea when seeing the primary promo poster for this season showing off one of the dragons chilling on the wall. All you need is some imagination!

There wasn't a promo poster of that.

Harmen

I find it hard to believe that people are giving even a slight consideration to the Bran is the Night King theory. It's the dumbest thing I've heard in reference to this show.

I thought this "theory" was about Bran(don) the Builder, after which current day Bran is named. Still wouldn't make sense but at least it is not as wild as the timetravel theories.

Atomic Odin

I never once got the impression that season 1-4 was just filler or moved too slow.

Season 7 is just ridiculous. I don't agree with the idea that "it's coming to an end and so therefore you have to throw away good pacing". It's dumb. And it's inconsistent with both the series in general and also the rest of the pacing for this season: Euron was everywhere in the first couple of episodes and then just disappeared; we've ignored the sand snakes; we ignored Yara; we ignored Greyworm and the unsullied.

And then we have just dumb, dumb fucking storylines. The whole plan to capture the wight and bring it to Cersei is just really bad, like they needed a highlight for the season, but didn't want to plan out the details. It would've even been better if they sent the wight to the Maesters, and try to work that angle against Cersei. In fact, the whole situation could be resolved in a day if Dany just attacks King's Landing - it's a problem they created for themselves that could still be fixed really easily. And then Theon just disappears after Dany returns, even though he said he wanted to talk to her about his sister. And then there are a million scenes of dialogue they just ignored: Gendry being with Arya for a year, Sam healing Jorah, Jon working with Aemmon, the Hound being with Arya for a really long time, etc. Like why does Gendry care so much about two men (his dad and Ned) who he never really knew, but doesn't tell Jon that Arya was a good friend? This is a bad season.

Edit: I think the last episode was well handled though, even if the plan itself was a mistake.

You make some very good points regarding missed convos. I'm really disappointed Jon didn't made a single mention of maester Aemon to Dany. Or Hound not speaking of Arya.

It was undead, Sam remarked how it was strange how the bodies didn't smell and weren't decomposing.

There wasn't a promo poster of that.

But that "undead" was hauled across by other people through the wall when it was unconscious-ish, how is the magic supposed to work in that situation?

FiggyCal

Banned
I thought this "theory" was about Bran(don) the Builder, after which current day Bran is named. Still wouldn't make sense but at least it is not as wild as the timetravel theories.

I don't think so. That's why we have so many dumb side-by-side comparisons about how much the Night King looks like Bran.

Steejee

I never once got the impression that season 1-4 was just filler or moved too slow.

Season 7 is just ridiculous. I don't agree with the idea that "it's coming to an end and so therefore you have to throw away good pacing". It's dumb. And it's inconsistent with both the series in general and also the rest of the pacing for this season: Euron was everywhere in the first couple of episodes and then just disappeared; we've ignored the sand snakes; we ignored Yara; we ignored Greyworm and the unsullied.

And then we have just dumb, dumb fucking storylines. The whole plan to capture the wight and bring it to Cersei is just really bad, like they needed a highlight for the season, but didn't want to plan out the details. It would've even been better if they sent the wight to the Maesters, and try to work that angle against Cersei. In fact, the whole situation could be resolved in a day if Dany just attacks King's Landing - it's a problem they created for themselves that could still be fixed really easily. And then Theon just disappears after Dany returns, even though he said he wanted to talk to her about his sister. And then there are a million scenes of dialogue they just ignored: Gendry being with Arya for a year, Sam healing Jorah, Jon working with Aemmon, the Hound being with Arya for a really long time, etc. Like why does Gendry care so much about two men (his dad and Ned) who he never really knew, but doesn't tell Jon that Arya was a good friend for the better part of like 2 seasons? This is a bad season.

Edit: I think the last episode was well handled though, even if the plan itself was a mistake.

The one reason I sorta give the plan a pass is that it's not just Cersei they're presenting the wight to, they want basically everyone they can grab with any power at that meeting. If all of the Lords that still support Cersei see the wight, it's a lot different than if she's the only one that does. The whole point was to make it impossible for her to ignore, and if her supporters suddenly see proof of what's coming, she would have a hard time arguing that it's ignorable.

FiggyCal

Banned
The one reason I sorta give the plan a pass is that it's not just Cersei they're presenting the wight to, they want basically everyone they can grab with any power at that meeting. If all of the Lords that still support Cersei see the wight, it's a lot different than if she's the only one that does. The whole point was to make it impossible for her to ignore, and if her supporters suddenly see proof of what's coming, she would have a hard time arguing that it's ignorable.
That's fair and actually when you put it that way, I see the merit in it. That's specifically not what Tyrion had in mind, but I can kind of let it slide.

Next ep:

9otepqug9vgz.jpg

Btw. what about that rumor of
seeing the wedding of Regar and Lyanna
next ep? Where do people get that from?

pringles

S 1-4 weren't too slow, but consider the difference in the story. A ton of characters have been removed from the show, way fewer have been introduced along the way, and many storyline as starting to fold unto eachother. Euron is not an important character that should be getting tons of character development, more than anything he's just a wildcard that was designed to throw a wrench into Dany's plans to overtake KL. We've ignored the sand snakes because they're boring and dead. We've ignored Yara because she's likely dead or being tortured. We've ignored Greyworm because he's boring as fuck and there's not much drama to be found in the unsullied holding Casterly Rock.

I

And then we have just dumb, dumb fucking storylines. The whole plan to capture the wight and bring it to Cersei is just really bad, like they needed a highlight for the season, but didn't want to plan out the details. It would've even been better if they sent the wight to the Maesters, and try to work that angle against Cersei. In fact, the whole situation could be resolved in a day if Dany just attacks King's Landing - it's a problem they created for themselves that could still be fixed really easily.
The maesters don't fucking care and Cersei certainly wouldn't listen to them. Have you paid any attention at all to Cersei's character these last 7 seasons?
Dany "just attacking" KL has been adressed many times. She doesn't want to be a ruler that burns down cities. Not to mention Qyburn's scorpions could wreak havoc against her dragons unless she has massive ground support, support which she in large part lost when Euron took out the Greyjoy fleet and the Tyrell/Dorne alliance, with the north being focused on the WW threat.
And then Theon just disappears after Dany returns, even though he said he wanted to talk to her about his sister. And then there are a million scenes of dialogue they just ignored: Gendry being with Arya for a year, Sam healing Jorah, Jon working with Aemmon, the Hound being with Arya for a really long time, etc. This is a bad season.
While I agree with some of that, sadly some stuff has to be sacrificed to get this level of action and visuals. They don't have unlimited time and budget. Gendry saying "hey I met your sister years ago, she was cool" and Jon going "ok" wouldn't add much. Would Dany know who Aemon was or care that Jon met him? What's The Hound gonna say about Arya? "I was going to sell her"? I'm not sure it's necessary to have a lot of time spent on basically telling the viewers "hey remember that these characters have a connection from seasons prior".

labx

Banned
Ok. Like I said it in other threads, last scene from the season: The Night King riding Viserion spiting some sort of magic fire melting the wall. The army of the dead walking towards south and Dani and Jon having sex, because this season is a fan fiction.

FiggyCal

Banned
The maesters don't fucking care and Cersei certainly wouldn't listen to them. Have you paid any attention at all to Cersei's character these last 7 seasons?
Dany "just attacking" KL has been adressed many times. She doesn't want to be a ruler that burns down cities. Not to mention Qyburn's scorpions could wreak havoc against her dragons unless she has massive ground support, support which she in large part lost when Euron took out the Greyjoy fleet and the Tyrell/Dorne alliance, with the north being focused on the WW threat.

Well Jon doesn't know the Maesters don't care. I was saying that by sending it to the Maesters it would convince, perhaps, Cersei's allies. Not Cersei herself. I think that's a lost cause.

And the whole Qyburn/Scorpion thing is Dany's own doing. She should not listen to Tyrion. It's only a problem now because she gave time for it to be a problem. Had she just attacked King's Landing in the first place, this would not have been an issue. The whole reason she gave about not attacking was also kind of bogus for reasons I don't really want to get into right now.

Edit: Also to your point later on: we've had 2 episodes of Jon meeting someone and going: "I knew your father", or "I met you at winterfell", in lieu of things that actually have some weight to it. Aside from Jorah talking about the sword. I thought that was a good scene. The way you resolve this issue is by slowing down and having your characters talk, rather than moving from action piece to action piece with some light dialogue.

Harmen

I don't think so. That's why we have so many dumb side-by-side comparisons about how much the Night King looks like Bran.

Yeah, you are right. Googling it, both seem to be fan theories. Also a lot of Bran=Bran theories.

Oh well, at this point I have no idea where Bran's story is headed. Despite me not buying these theories, fantasy tropes have learned me that it is not unlikely that Bran has some connection/influence to/over the past. I don't think they introduced the mental time travel (?) stuff for nothing (see Hodor's story).

I think you can totally convince Cersei the White Walkers are real, and there's only like a 70% chance she'll try to ally with them to exterminate the realms of man in a fit of bitterness and pique!

Worth.

And then we have just dumb, dumb fucking storylines. The whole plan to capture the wight and bring it to Cersei is just really bad, like they needed a highlight for the season, but didn't want to plan out the details. It would've even been better if they sent the wight to the Maesters, and try to work that angle against Cersei. In fact, the whole situation could be resolved in a day if Dany just attacks King's Landing - it's a problem they created for themselves that could still be fixed really easily. And then Theon just disappears after Dany returns, even though he said he wanted to talk to her about his sister. And then there are a million scenes of dialogue they just ignored: Gendry being with Arya for a year, Sam healing Jorah, Jon working with Aemmon, the Hound being with Arya for a really long time, etc. Like why does Gendry care so much about two men (his dad and Ned) who he never really knew, but doesn't tell Jon that Arya was a good friend for the better part of like 2 seasons? This is a bad season.

Not that I disagree with you but the pacing of the previous seasons and some of the books is insufferable IMO. At least when it comes to how I consume media. Way too much time was spent on things that ended not mattering. There were a lot of threads and story points that were pointless when it comes to the show (I haven't read all books so that might not be the case). This story could have been shown on 3, 4 motion films and not much in terms of impact would have been lost. Lot of movies have done much more with much less.

Right now all they need to show is the giant battle between humanity, the white walkers, show who dies, and who survives. That's it. So I am thankful I am getting even more story than that, even if the pacing isn't consistent with what has come before.

As for the stupid plans, yeah the writers could have done a lot better. Maybe they did, but the execution failed. But the one thing we needed from the last episode was to know that the Night King has an ice dragon, and we got it.

Camwi

I don't know, at what point does a corpse become undead? They seem to be brainless creatures that are beyond the ability to pretend to be dead until the right moment to strike.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't know, at what point does a corpse become undead? They seem to be brainless creatures that are beyond the ability to pretend to be dead until the right moment to strike.

They had already been 'touched' or raised, bodies don't just rise up of their own accord.

Ok. Like I said it in other threads, last scene from the season: The Night King riding Viserion spiting some sort of magic fire melting the wall. The army of the dead walking towards south and Dani and Jon having sex, because this season is a fan fiction.

Why does this have to be fan fic? GRRM is just some glorified edgelord writer anyway. Its fucking hard to keep up constant pain and suffering and still tie up loose ends. Logical endings are not bad.

Sheroking

Certainly long stretches of Seasons 1-3 and 5 moved at a slow enough pace to draw some criticism for doing so. The truth of the matter is George was a plodding writer and that there was no good reason for an adaptation like this to take the same time getting Dany away from Essos or Jon away from the Night's Watch, etc, etc.

But because the first five seasons and change are based on what's been written in the novels, they hit the major story beats at about the same point if one book=one season.

So when they decided they had like 25 episodes left (before Season 6), things had to move. I've only really had a big problem with that in the latest episode. Episodes 1 and 2 were not really that fast paced, and while 3-5 had major things happen in them, they weren't compacting 2-3 episodes of story together. Possibly the stretch of writing from Jon leaving for Eastwatch to Dany saving them was WAY too much, way too fast.

Was this posted? Is this shopped?

20953863_1133602543406466_7002411024086442435_n.jpg

It's not photoshopped, but it's just a shadow.

Just loaded up the episode again.

Camwi

They had already been 'touched' or raised, bodies don't just rise up of their own accord.

I realize that, that's why I put out the idea of them being "time bombs", touched by the White Walkers to a point somewhere in between being dead and fully undead, in an attempt to get around the whole "magic wall stopping the undead" thing.

I'm just trying to fill in a plot hole is all.

Vashetti

Banned
Was this posted? Is this shopped?

20953863_1133602543406466_7002411024086442435_n.jpg

Alan Taylor (director of the ep) has had his say on this

“That is so funny, somebody else mentioned that to me and I haven’t got a clue what they’re talking about,” he said in an interview with Insider. “I can say that there was no intention for that to be the case.”

Interviewer Kim Renfro suggested that Longclaw was slightly frosted over, and when Jon emerged from the lake, it was splashed with water and washed away the frost, and Taylor seemed to agree.

“I think that’s a very good theory and I’m gonna go with that one until I look at it more closely and see if I can figure out what’s going on,” he said. “But I spoke to somebody earlier and he was convinced it was a really loaded symbolic moment of Longclaw.”

http://watchersonthewall.com/beyond...ted-timeline-longclaws-eyes-and-dany-and-jon/

tl;dr: no significance or intention whatsoever

Sheroking

I found this article regarding the Stark sisters and the problems with their storyline interesting.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/game-...roblem/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't agree with them. Weirdly, this storyline may be the most classic Game of Thrones thing the show is currently doing: Subverting expectations with something that is more foreboding and unpleasant than you would expect from a TV show.

They claim that the sisterly relationship has been a miss because D&D are having difficulty writing women as whole people. I would counter that Sansa and Arya are NOT whole people, intentionally. That they've earned this dissonance and conflict over seasons and seasons of character development, even if it doesn't portray either as the kind of person some fans may want them to be.

Sansa was mentored in some respect by both Cersei and Littlefinger. She "learned to play the game" in Kings Landing and has had many moments of questionable morality. This is evident in 4x08, when she callously manipulates the leaders of the Vale to save Littlefinger, and in about a dozen little character moments since. Her instinct to pursue power and influence has been on display for fans to speculate for well over a year now, and questions of her loyalty to Jon have been posed by fans since 6x10 aired. Her many abuses don't necessarily make her a beleaguered hero, and possibly the point of her suffering at the hands of Joffrey and Ramsay was steeling her for her own questionable morality and actions in the future.

Arya, meanwhile, has seen her own fair of shit and has been intentionally dehumanized as a character. Her conflict throughout Seasons 5 and 6 was the conflicting urges to become "no one", purge emotion and bring brutal death to her enemies while wanting to hold onto some small part of who she was. We see that she still cares about her family, her home and her friends - but not as completely as a normal person would. This is evident in her cold reunion with Hot Pie.

So when a girl who was trained to see through bullshit sees her least favorite family member mentally betraying her favorite family member, it's perfectly reasonable that her familial bonds wouldn't be a big source of conflict for her. She would easily throw out Sansa for Jon, as she would throw out The Hound or Hot Pie for her revenge.

TL;DR: Sansa is almost definitely twisted by her own ambition and Arya is only as good as her target is bad. They've earned the conflict and it's attitude, even if it's not what fans wanted or expected.

- 10.2M viewers for the first run airing on Sunday, which is the 2nd highest ever for a GoT episode

TVbtN said:
”Game of Thrones" came down a little from the previous week's series highs but was still the biggest thing on TV Sunday by far. It drew a 4.7 in adults 18-49 (vs. 5.0 the prior week) and 10.24 million viewers (down from 10.72 million).
More details from EW on this season:
If you include repeats and streaming, ”Beyond the Wall" is already up to 14.2 million viewers across all platforms. And GoT episodes from earlier in this season are averaging around 29 million viewers once all forms of viewing are counted — and that's only in the United States; the show is a major hit overseas as well.

You guys don't understand. Now that Longclaw has Awakened, it is finally the plot-convenient MacGuffin weapon that can defeat the White Walkers!

... wait.

LakeEarth

Yeah the main plot of last episode definitely should've been split into two parts. Them sitting in the dark around a flaming sword, just talking, was sorely missing because as others have pointed out, many of them were meeting for the first time and had lots to talk about. Also, a full episode wait would've made the whole time passing issue more palatable.

Top Bottom