• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Wait, if WW can't cross the wall, why are they so concerned with them in the first place? I mean, it's a raw deal for the wildlings I guess, but the rest of the kingdoms should be safe. They can just surround the wall with flames and keep the wights out, too. But now the WW have a friggin' ice dragon that would make for a real good battering ram...

The fact that the wall must be manned suggests that the White Walkers can destroy the magic that prevents them from crissing it somehow. Likely by using the Wights, since they can cross the wall.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a chance to catch the latest episode. Really great stuff, but I hated how obvious it was that the undead army were going to turn one of the dragons.

They seem to be operating under the assumption that The Wall is going to fail, which isn't a terrible plan. Plus Jon has already seen a Wight beyond the wall.

I mean, from a logistical perspective, when winter comes there will presumably be super casual ice bridges that form to allow them to bypass the wall on foot, considering it doesn't cover the ocean.

From an in-setting perspective, they seem to be working under the assumption the Night King has or can find a way to destroy the Wall.

Yeah, it's smart to still plan for worst case scenario anyway, but if that's really the case, then they over-panicked and basically gave the enemy their vehicle through the wall.

And given that 7 good men with dragonglass weapons can hold off a fairly substantial chunk of wights anyway, the army of the dead don't seem especially worrisome. Only the WWs are the intimidating threat, and if they can't cross the magic line, then just make funny faces at them all day and wait till summer comes around again.

Sephzilla

This, ffs why people keep thinking a bite can trasnforme a guy into a wight? How the fuck these guys commenting for the IGNs and other shows dont know this shit when they say they are super fans.

1) Dial down your hostility a little

2) The way the show has presented them, usually if you get killed by a White Walker you become one. I never said that the Wight would get loose in Kings Landing and start biting people to turn them into White Walkers, but rather that the Night King's necromancy might reach to wherever there is a Wight since they have a kind of hivemind connection. So while the White Walkers don't operate under the "bite = transformed" operation, they still at a base level operate just like a zombie hoard.

This, ffs why people keep thinking a bite can trasnforme a guy into a wight? How the fuck these guys commenting for the IGNs and other shows dont know this shit when they say they are super fans.

People have the attention span and memory of a tadpole. Look at half the post in this thread. Most of the questions could be answered by just paying fucking attention to the show. Thats why the previously on's are horrible because they have to remind people with bad memories what came before, and it spoils whats going to be in the episode for those of us who watch attentively.

And given that 7 good men with dragonglass weapons can hold off a fairly substantial chunk of wights anyway, the army of the dead don't seem especially worrisome. Only the WWs are the intimidating threat, and if they can't cross the magic line, then just make funny faces at them all day and wait till summer comes around again.

Maybe even take pot-shots at them with obsidian arrows.

They do have a logistical advantage in that if it ever comes to open-field warfare they can raise literally every soldier lost by the opposing force into their army. Also, their ability to incorporate animals into their horde is pretty terrifying if they ever reach someplace with more vibrant wildlife.

(And also raises the question of why they don't literally have all the polar bears already, but my head canon is that they've been at war with the polar bears for thousands of years and have basically given up. Fuck it, we'll just take the Seven Kingdoms guys, let these bears have the icecaps.)

zoukka

Well that was the silliest episode yet. For some reason the dead cannot pass a one meter crack in ice (even though we later see them happily swimming and marching in the water), a guy can run from Jon to the wall, a raven can fly to Dragonstone and a Dragon can fly back to Jon in time to rescue them from doom all in a single day. And of course it took exactly that same time for the 1 meter crack in ice to freeze over... and a stone thrown by Jon's buddy for a dead bro to realize this... even though they don't seem to think independently.

You couldn't make this shit more stupid even if you tried.

OrionX

I find it amusing that Tyrion keeps warning Dany about putting herself in dangerous situations while he encourages her to meet with Cersei. I'm already stressed the hell out waiting for whatever shit she's gonna pull. lol

Yeah, it's smart to still plan for worst case scenario anyway, but if that's really the case, then they over-panicked and basically gave the enemy their vehicle through the wall.

It was more than 7 men, all of the survivors of the Battle of the Lake are top fighters in Westeros, and they had the benefit of the island shape forcing the Wights into a bit of a choke, making their numbers less effecient.

In an open field, the Wights would have overwhelmed them inmediately.

1) Dial down your hostility a little

2) The way the show has presented them, usually if you get killed by a White Walker you become one. I never said that the Wight would get loose in Kings Landing and start biting people to turn them into White Walkers, but rather that the Night King's necromancy might reach to wherever there is a Wight since they have a kind of hivemind connection. So while the White Walkers don't operate under the "bite = transformed" operation, they still at a base level operate just like a zombie hoard.

They don't operate in hivemind. The White Walkers can issue orders telepathically but they must see what's happening to do so.

The example being they specifically show the captured Wight giving out a very specific type of screech before the others came. That would not have been necessary if there was hive mind connectivity.

I would venture as far as saying White Walker commands can be relayed without speaking but likely need line-of-sight to work.

MazeHaze

Banned
The One and Done™;246717742 said:
HBO GO is fine. Not sure about NOW
Yeah fuck them. They did this same shit last year. I was binge watching the whole series for the first time, only problem is every time you open the HBO now app, it would take you to the most recent season, with the episode description under the title. So I opened the app one day to see "Season 6 episode 1:. Jon Snow is dead..."

I was SO pissed. I wrote an angry complaint to HBO. Only time in my life I've done that.

Kalentan

I'm for sure in the camp that this whole thing up North was a trap.

I mean it makes sense. We learn that if you kill the White Walker that 'turned' (or at least attached) to the undead around them, that the undead just well drop dead.

However that one didn't die. My idea is that the Night King put one of his Undead with the other White Walker and so on the chance that the White Walker is killed, it won't die and can call out for help.

Guessing this idea or thought has already been brought up?

Guevara

I'm sure this is really obvious, but I now expect:

1. Killing the Night King would kill his entire army (or, the vast majority). We saw this when Jon killed the White Walker and 9/10 of his wights fell.
  2. However, the Night King can see the future, therefore it will be impossible for most people to surprise him
Who can surprise the Night King, or who can operate out of the time stream? I think only one character: Bran.

The following scene is foreshadowing:

Baelish prides himself on thinking of every possible situation, and therefore never being surprised. But Bran is able to surprise him, by bringing up an impossible bit of knowledge ("Chaos is a ladder")

boxter432

lnqlkj7wo9hz.jpg

Amazing. Just wish it was wider so I could use it as my wallpaper.

Thoros should be on the ground frozen and dead. He never fought a human wight :(

According to this article, Lena Headey, Emelia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Peter Dinklage, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau make 500K an episode.

Interesting read on the other wages too. Comedy stars make way more than drama stars.

They got those raises last year, many feel its part of the reason for the condensed seasons since they are paid per episode.

Also HBO is usually cheap when it comes to paying actors, so they are making way more then what HBO has historically paid out. You also cant compare network star salaries to premium cable salaries.

Sheroking

They got those raises last year, many feel its part of the reason for the condensed seasons since they are paid per episode.

Also HBO is usually cheap when it comes to paying actors, so they are making way more then what HBO has historically paid out. You also cant compare network star salaries to premium cable salaries.

This is a production cost thing, not a network/cable thing. All else being equal, a hit multi-cam sitcom will pay more for than a single cam, for example. Game of Thrones is possibly the biggest drama in TV history, but it's also easily the most expensive. They don't have the profit margin of a show like Friends, so the actors can't come out and demand like 20 million a year.

Those salaries are a drop in the bucket. Remember, HBO wanted more episodes.

nubbe

having subscribers pay for 3 months instead of 2 with the ratings the show has make more sense with 10 episodes

and ratings will be higher in 2 years

Markoman

Great episode and bad episode.
The good stuff: screen play, the funny dialogues, tension
The bad stuff: Arya, Sansa, plot +lack of logic, pacing/time

If this series ends with Jon + Dany = Love I'm going to take a huge
turd on everyone defending this kitsch. Boy, when Jon said "Dany" it was "Twilight" kind of bad. And this is coming from someone saying that Lost was more about the journey, so I could forgive the controversial ending.

Zombie dragon was so obvious I don't even feel clever about it.
Guys freezing on a rock with a guy who has a flame sword, ok I guess it works like in Souls games.
Zombie scooba divers putting a huge chain on a sunken dragon. Cause yeah...every Zombie army carries a huge chain around....

GoT Official Twitter confirmed that "The Dragon and the Wolf" will have a running time of 79 minutes, 43 seconds. Making it the longest episode in GoT history.

blackw0lf

One good thing I can say about these past couple of seasons is that I'm not too concerned anymore that the show is spoiling future books, since I can't imagine many of this stupid developments would happen in the books.

And most of the other cool developments, "Hold the Door" aside, were pretty predictable so even if it's in the books don't feel like it's spoiling much.

Sheroking

If this series ends with Jon + Dany = Love I'm going to take a huge
turd on everyone defending this kitsch. Boy, when Jon said "Dany" it was "Twilight" kind of bad. And this is coming from someone saying that Lost was more about the journey, so I could forgive the controversial ending.

The franchise is called "A Song of Ice and Fire". People figured this shit out over 20 years before Jon and Dany met on the show.

One good thing I can say about these past couple of seasons is that I'm not too concerned anymore that the show is spoiling future books, since I can't imagine many of this stupid developments would happen in the books.

How can you spoil that which does not exist? He's never finishing the series

Elandyll

Banned
The hyperbole is strong with this one
Just for Markoman, I hope the last ep is 1h and 15min of flirting and love making between Dany and Jon :) (and 5 min to show the undead to Cercei)

Given the ep title (Dragon & The Wolf), I'd say there is potential.

Maffis

My intelligence feels challenged after this episode.

So many stuff that baffles me. The whole thing with Arya and Sansa feels so out of character. The constant teleporting around the world makes Westeros seem to be the same size as my hometown. And then the throwaway of cool characters like Benjen. Why even have the dude cast again after all these years?

Sheroking

My intelligence feels challenged after this episode.

So many stuff that baffles me. The whole thing with Arya and Sansa feels so out of character. The constant teleporting around the world makes Westeros seem to be the same size as my hometown. And then the throwaway of cool characters like Benjen. Why even have the dude cast again after all these years?

The Arya/Sansa stuff is completely earned IMO, as I posted about in this thread. Nothing out of character about it.

Somebody actually did the math on the episode, and it actually works RE: Travel. This was the first time I was bothered by "teleporting", as until know we could just assume a certain amount of time has passed off screen in that particular storyline. This is the one bit that a timeline.

I also think this undersells the Dragon's flight speed.

Ladekabel

Where was it implied/said that the Night King can see the future? I thought the only thing he has going for him is seeing Bran when he looks into the past or is controlling something.

Jon saying 'Dany' was hella jarring to be honest. Forced like their whole romance subplot.

JonXGendry is the romance that was promised.

Edit - With regards to the maths. They assume that the squad didn't travel far, although the many travel scenes (we got some woo) cut between the winterfell scenes and bizarre pacing this seasons made it appear they'd travelled for much longer. We also have to allow for Gendry to be Mo farah x Usain Bolt, despite being in a conditions alien to him and having no food or water.

Do you guys think Dorne plays any part in future? Or will we see Elaria anymore?

She's dead. Dorne and Highgarden are non-factors now.

Top Bottom