• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

If true, they better have the alternative endings as special features.

They probably will, just due to the cost of filming and editing all that. I wish they wouldn't though. It just leads to fans claiming that their preferred alternate ending is the "true" ending and that D and D/HBO just chose the wrong one.

dLMN8R

Shooting alternate endings doesn't mean that they're going to do full production of multiple endings. The latter would be much more expensive. So while they may show up in a Making Of documentary, I wouldn't expect to see anything like a fully produced alternate ending with full CG and everything else.

Shooting alternate endings doesn't mean that they're going to do full production of multiple endings. The latter would be much more expensive. So while they may show up in a Making Of documentary, I wouldn't expect to see anything like a fully produced alternate ending with full CG and everything else.

I don't think the ending would be a series of CG heavy scenes. I think whatever is planned will be at least 15 minutes worth of character interactions.

Conquest & Rebellion: An Animated History of the Seven Kingdoms — Cast members Pilou Asbæk (Euron Greyjoy), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Littlefinger), Conleth Hill (Varys), Harry Lloyd (Viserys Targaryen), and Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) narrate an animated series focusing on Aegon Targaryen’s attempts to conquer the Seven Kingdoms, written by show writer Dave Hill.

Haven't heard from him in a while. In the show at least.

I'm still salty that Best Buy stopped making their exclusive House sigil slipcovers last year.

mm04

Haven't heard from him in a while. In the show at least.

I'm still salty that Best Buy stopped making their exclusive House sigil slipcovers last year.

He was pretty good on Manhattan. Of course, I didn't recognize him at first without the silver blonde wig. That show had so much promise. Ugh that it got canceled.

They probably will, just due to the cost of filming and editing all that. I wish they wouldn't though. It just leads to fans claiming that their preferred alternate ending is the "true" ending and that D and D/HBO just chose the wrong one.

Doesn't matter, with so many theories floating around and only so many possibilities, we probably already have a general idea of what the ending will be. So even if we only saw one version, one true ending, then people would still claim that this theory was better or this person should or shouldn't have died etc etc. I just hope we get GRRM's intended ending as it was when they started the show and not something they felt was better along the way for whatever reason.

Hydrus

Day 19 without GoT:
ynvpdy1wpylz.jpg

Today I ordered season 1 of the steelbook bluray. I know it probably isn't wise to start collecting them now, with the series reaching it's end and a potential series box collection dropping after S8 ends, but I simply can't wait 1.5 -2 years for that. I need to rewatch Thrones in the best quality now!!

Surfinn

Day 19 without GoT:

Today I ordered season 1 of the steelbook bluray. I know it probably isn't wise to start collecting them now, with the series reaching it's end and a potential series box collection dropping after S8 ends, but I simply can't wait 1.5 -2 years for that. I need to rewatch Thrones in the best quality now!!
Haha.

I hope you do one of these everyday until the end of my days

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
While you guys do a rewatch, I'm reading the books. A little over halfway through the third book. Shit is so good.

Just finished S4 rewatch, looking forward to 5 since I've probably only watched it 3 times I think. The final 3 episodes of S4 are probably the strongest sequence of episodes in the entire series. Just so damn good.

Join the right thread next season!

Hey you, stop trying to poach our most active poster.

vsMIC

rewatched the entire series over the last four weeks, only season 7 final left.

it felt much more natural when i remembered, the teleporting was already present in s1.

the foreshadowing in early seasons was so great, did not catch all of it at the time.

boring sequences got a lot more weight as well, like the brotherhood line, which i did not like back then.

but the many recasts were distracting.

While you guys do a rewatch, I'm reading the books. A little over halfway through the third book. Shit is so good.
Waiting until book 6 comes, and I'll steamroll through them in two months. So around mid 2019 is when I'm assuming to get the books. :S
Just finished S4 rewatch, looking forward to 5 since I've probably only watched it 3 times I think. The final 3 episodes of S4 are probably the strongest sequence of episodes in the entire series. Just so damn good.

True. But s6 ep9 and 10 are my favorite B2B episodes in any tv show I've ever seen.

Einchy

Last time I read a book was in high school. These things are sooooooo long but so good that I don't mind.

I had always been wanted to finish the whole show before getting into the books but the shorter season left me needing more GoT and I didn't wanna do a fourth or so rewatch, especially when I had just rewatched season 5 and 6 while 7 aired. I also ended up watching 7 three times over.

I'm bummed that now I'll be waiting for the book not just as a person who loves Game of Thrones but as an actual reader.

Yeah, I'm on S4 right now. I had forgotten how good this season was. Every season so far has been phenomenal, really. S1 is still probably my favourite, but they're all amazing :>

Hydrus

Day 21 without GoT:
7ibyg7vtdfmz.gif

Today is a shitty day. Not only is there no episode 10 of season 7, but they fucked up my shipment of season 1 steelbook bluray and I wont get it until next week. I will still continue my episode 2 rewatch tonight, but it wont be as great now :( And if anyone still wants to follow along with the weekly/ year long rewatch, here's the schedule. Today is EP 2 The Kingsroad:

RDreamer

Watched S1E2 today. Fuck I miss Robert and Ned. Such amazing characters. They're both well cast and acted.

Also, I've said this from the beginning, but on rewatch it's reminding me: Jon not being Ned's kid is such a ridiculously easy thing to spot early on. It's obvious. Practically this entire episode spelled that out. Ned is annoyed and neglects to talk about things with Robert directly after telling Jon he'd talk about his mother. Ned's reaction when Robert talks about "what they did to [his] sister" is also telling. Robert hints that Ned's honor really wouldn't have let that happen either. You also get a hint as to why Ned would have to hide it: Robert wants to kill every last Targaryen. Even if you don't know it's Lyanna at this point you should know there's something important and secret happening with Jon's parentage.

On my first watch after seeing nothing about the books and going on no forums at all I had an inkling about the truth that Lyanna and Rhaegar were Jon's parents.

Nymeria being sent away was sad as hell. Possibly sadder now knowing their next meeting will come so long after and there will be almost nothing left there.

Einchy

It's said that GRRM told Sean Bean about Jon so his performance would reflect that secret, and you can totally see it in that Robert scene. However, I've never seen the interview so I'm not sure if it's a BS story or if it actually happened.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's said that GRRM told Sean Bean about Jon so his performance would reflect that secret, and you can totally see it in that Robert scene. However, I've never seen the interview so I'm not sure if it's a BS story or if it actually happened.

It probably did. Rowling did the same thing with Alan Rickman and Snape's secret. It's pretty much the only way to ensure that the subtext he probably wrote in the books comes through on the screen.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
But this is the right thread, that other one is full of terrors.
The Night is Dark and full of Terrors my sweet summer child.
Hey you, stop trying to poach our most active poster.
They are mine now! I’m digging my claws in and not taking them out!
Wouldn't need GRRM to tell him. At that point D&D knew, too. They would have certainly told him that.
Yup, that’s how they got the show in the first place.

zeemumu

He IS a great character. Just not as complex as people are making him out to be. There are better, more fleshed out characters, so that's why I don't get the "he's the best character on GoT" sentiment.

I don't think they're arguing that Tywin is a bad character. I think they're arguing that whatever personal growth he's supposed to go through, he's gone through it well after the series started. His ways are set and he now acts to a mentor to characters whose personalities aren't so solidified, as Olenna did to Margaery

I just realised there's almost no difference between the morals, values and culture of the Ironmen and the "FreeFolk". Culturally, theyre almost identical, only one has a sub-section of cannibals, wargs and Giants and the other doesnt.
The mindset to rape and pillage everything around them is the same.

Every time I watch Season 5 I like it more than I did during each previous viewing. But man it has some absolutely garbage moments.

Like the part where Tyrion is bound and gagged on the boat and keeps annoying Jorah to release his gag so he could talk, finally he does, but Tyrion's hands could reach his mouth and there was absolutely nothing preventing him from removing it himself.

It's moments like that and this with the Sand Snakes, and there are several of them, that make it my least favorite season.

Barriston being written out like a chump still annoys me.

Cringe ass moments where Grey Worm tells Missandei that he's glad he was cut and taken into slavery because he wouldn't have met her otherwise, and he was scared that he almost died, not because he fears death but because he was afraid he would never see her again. Just, horribly forced trash.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Every time I watch Season 5 I like it more than I did during each previous viewing. But man it has some absolutely garbage moments.

Like the part where Tyrion is bound and gagged on the boat and keeps annoying Jorah to release his gag so he could talk, finally he does, but Tyrion's hands could reach his mouth and there was absolutely nothing preventing him from removing it himself.

It's moments like that and this with the Sand Snakes, and there are several of them, that make it my least favorite season.

Barriston being written out like a chump still annoys me.

Cringe ass moments where Grey Worm tells Missandei that he's glad he was cut and taken into slavery because he wouldn't have met her otherwise, and he was scared that he almost died, not because he fears death but because he was afraid he would never see her again. Just, horribly forced trash.
Baristan being taken out like a chump is the point. He’s this noble knight who is also a boss swordsman, but he gets taken out by random dudes in a back alley. The idea is that not everyone dies a noble death that they are worthy of. And Grey Worm and Missandei needed fleshed out, so they aren’t just brown people serving the White Queen.

I think the first half of Season 5 is fine and quite well done. I think that the second half could have been better. Dorne was inconsequential since Myrcella dies anyway and they still go to war.

Littlefinger not bringing the Vale until Season 6. Brienne not suffering any consequences by killing Stannis instead of rescuing Sansa.

Baristan being taken out like a chump is the point. He’s this noble knight who is also a boss swordsman, but he gets taken out by random dudes in a back alley. The idea is that not everyone dies a noble death that they are worthy of. And Grey Worm and Missandei needed fleshed out, so they aren’t just brown people serving the White Queen.

I think the first half of Season 5 is fine and quite well done. I think that the second half could have been better. Dorne was inconsequential since Myrcella dies anyway and they still go to war.

Littlefinger not bringing the Vale until Season 6. Brienne not suffering any consequences by killing Stannis instead of rescuing Sansa.
For me in hindsight which is rather important, one thing they should have done is sped Danny's storyline in season 6. Get her ass on the sea by episode 6 and have land in episode 9. Then have her sort out the shit we get in episode 1 and 2 by the finale. Leaves a few more things for breathing for s7.

I have no issues with how Barristan was taken out, I just hate it, lol.

But the Grey Worm and Missandei stuff I mentioned is terrible. I love their characters, love their relationship because it feels very genuine for the most part. Don't make this about race, that's just ridiculous, because it has nothing to do with that. The actual writing is shit, think about it, I'm glad they cut my dick off, I'm glad they cut my balls off, I'm glad they took my name, my family, my freedom away from me because it led me to you. They could have done a far better job "fleshing out" these characters than that.

Top Bottom