• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Can someone explain the whole Arya and Littlefinger plot? What is in the letter and why would LF want Arya to read it? Thanks!

LF realized that Arya is a thread, so he's trying to turn Arya against Sansa instead of him in hopes that Sansa and her allies turn against Arya to get her out of the picture. He doesn't believe that Arya could harm Sansa, nor he wants her to, but is plotting to catch her red handed so Sansa exiles her or something along those lines.

You saw Essos, does it look like a place Westerosi armies could conquer? Besides their own armies and mercenary groups, they have wild people like the Dothraki, magic dude's like that faceless men. An invading Westerosi force would be smashed and thrown back into the sea.

You mean the Dothraki horde they just brought over from Essos? The one magic dude, compared to Dany and her Dragons, Meli and her smoke children, Frankenmountain. Plenty of sell swords, reviving, mercenaries and armies in Westeros too you know.

From the looks of the map, Westeros is far more compact where as Essos has a lot of more open areas. The biggest plot of land is called the Dothraki sea...who do they kneel to?

LF realized that Arya is a thread, so he's trying to turn Arya against Sansa instead of him in hopes that Sansa and her allies turn against Arya to get her out of the picture. He doesn't believe that Arya could harm Sansa, nor he wants her to, but is plotting to catch her red handed so Sansa exiles her or something along those lines.
What is nuts is that Little Finger's plan hinges on Arya not trusting him and stalking him...and why on earth would she not trust him? Have they shared any animosity? Or screentime at all? Why would Arya be this way against LF in the first place for LF to think this would work? Or am I forgetting a scene between them, or Arya and Sansa about him?

Blue Lou

Thinking about it more this morning: the magnificent seven's plan is incredibly stupid:

Go North of the wall, on a suicide mission, with the king of the north himself (delegate much?), to capture a white walker alive, to bring it down to King's Landing somehow, to convince Cersei of all people to suspend war and mutual defend the realm.

So that's it, huh? They're some kind of Suicide squad?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
alright, i'll not spoiler those for future reference. i forgot the leaks are out there.

i'm getting the feeling that there is dissension among Dany's council and Dany wasn't wrong about Tryion having a soft spot for some of his former allies. I wonder if maybe he's going to do something that gets him in trouble, especially if they actually are planting seeds for a Dany heel turn

I don't see a Dany heel turn in the least. Those guys had it coming in a way that Rickard and Brandon Stark didn't.

I think Varys was being paranoid simply because he doesn't like the idea of burning people.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Thinking about it more this morning: the magnificent seven's plan is incredibly stupid:

Go North of the wall, on a suicide mission, with the king of the north himself (delegate much?), to capture a white walker alive, to bring it down to King's Landing somehow, to convince Cersei of all people to suspend war and mutual defend the realm.
Is not like they don't know that, Tormund himself says so lol

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I posted in the last thread that I think Thoros will die just to make Jon and Beric's mortality more important, now their deaths will actually be 'real' and Jorah will die to help Jon and Dany become closer now that she lost someone as important to her as anyone else in the world. There were some glanes Jon made that solidified this happening for me in this episode.

I think everyone else survives.

Gendry can't die right as he is brought back, that would be pretty dumb on their part to bring back a fan favorite and then murder him.

Jon is end-game, he makes it to the final episode.

Beric has a badass flaming sword, he is too useful for fighting the White Walkers and provides amazing visuals.

The Hound has to re-unite with Arya at some point. He can't die until that happens.

Tormund is too important to the Widling storyline, that kinda goes to the wayside without him.

Symphonia

Banned
I see a lot of people comparing Dany to her father. You’re wrong. The Mad King burned every living soul regardless of allegiance. Dany gave both the Tarly’s a chance to bend the knee, and they refused. That makes them the enemy. You’d be a fool to let your enemies live.

I posted in the last thread that I think Thoros will die just to make Jon and Beric's mortality more important, now their deaths will actually be 'real' and Jorah will die to help Jon and Dany become closer now that she lost someone as important to her as anyone else in the world. There were some glanes Jon made that solidified this happening for me in this episode.

I think you're completely right. I also get a vibe from Jon that he will live throughout whole show, but will turn down being anyone of import. He still feels like a walking dead man who wants to return to the afterlife.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I see a lot of people comparing Dany to her father. You're wrong. The Mad King burned every living soul regardless of allegiance. Dany gave both the Tarly's a chance to bend the knee, and they refused. That makes them the enemy. You'd be a fool to let your enemies live.

It was an overreaction on Varys' part, but I don't think it was so much that Varys was concerned that Dany was reminding him of the Mad King.

It was more that the Dickon fire brought back bad memories of his youth.

Hyun Sai

Gendry can't die right as he is brought back, that would be pretty dumb on their part to bring back a fan favorite and then murder him.

Jon is end-game, he makes it to the final episode.

Beric has a badass flaming sword, he is too useful for fighting the White Walkers and provides amazing visuals.

The Hound has to re-unite with Arya at some point. He can't die until that happens.

Tormund is too important to the Widling storyline, that kinda goes to the wayside without him.

For the same reason you applied to Gendry, they can't kill Jorah in the episode following his return. I have also a feeling he may follow his father step after all.

Sendero

My take for next chapter:

DYING
-Beric is gone for sure. He has no defined end-game and has been revived so many times, that he is barely human. If his sword is the Lightbringer from the prophecy Melissandre recalls, then he needs to pass it.
-Jorah finally returned to Daenerys. And got a hug and an almost absent goodbye stare . But now that Jon and Tyrion are giving good advise to her, what purpose is left for him? Unless of course, Jon x Dany does not happen and somehow end up becoming enemies instead. His arc is odd, though. You would expect the disease angle would play a part in the story somehow (perhaps the cure for White walkers or anti conversion defense?). But him returning as zombie, would be a major derail moment for Daenerys for sure.

UNSURE
-Thoros is a drunk fallen priest. But if Beric dies, he will be the leader of the Brotherhood. And he might be needed for more Light god shenanigans. But then again, we know that Melissandre will come back later on. And there is still that prodigious archer if a leader is needed, I guess. 50/50
-The Hound. He, like Beric and Thoros, have received visions about the great war. So, unless his purpose was just to guide them to Eastwatch, he is still needed. On the other hand, he is old and not fast enough (and think he had an injury in his leg). But there is Clegane bowl. Perhaps he is revived by Thoros? But would it be enough time for that?

SURVIVE
-Thormund is the only named Wildling left. He is their leader as well. Would they stick with Jon without him? Someone has to be there to guide them back after all is done.
-Gendry didn't reappear to be killed in the next chapter. He is young and the last named Baratheon. Likely the only one that can make proper dragonglass weaponry. And it was casually hinted that he will be needed to take care of Longclaw (so, he knows about Valyrian steel?). And there is the Arya's angle. Finally, Melissandre didn't foretell his demise. Nah.
-Jon, for reasons.

But imagine for a second that despite being liked by everyone, being a main POV and having a clear path to success, he were the only one that does not make it (sacrificing to achieve the goal)?.

How massively entertaining would that be?
The sheer impact on internet would be a sight to behold.

Nameless

Wait, Gendry is a fan favourite?

This is a long time coming

master-mott.gif

JonnyKong

Just to be 100% sure, did Tyrion definitely recognise Jamie in last week's battle? From a distance he might have just been another random fighter to Tyrion.

I'm trying to think of why Tyrion wouldn't have tried to look for him after seeing him jump in the water.

Angry Grimace

Jorah and Hound are dead.

Book it.

There's no way they spent like 5 episodes on Jorah's greyscale and cure just to off him immediately. I think Jorah is going to make it to the finish line. Alive.

You mean the Dothraki horde they just brought over from Essos? The one magic dude, compared to Dany and her Dragons, Meli and her smoke children, Frankenmountain. Plenty of sell swords, reviving, mercenaries and armies in Westeros too you know.

From the looks of the map, Westeros is far more compact where as Essos has a lot of more open areas. The biggest plot of land is called the Dothraki sea...who do they kneel to?

Dany's Dothraki aren't all the Dothraki.

It's Faceless Men, not Faceless Man, even if we only saw Jaqen and the Waif.

Melisandre is herself from Essos.

There obviously aren't any mercenary armies in Westeros, or Cersei wouldn't be talking about hiring one from Essos (where there are many).

aBarreras

Just to be 100% sure, did Tyrion definitely recognise Jamie in last week's battle? From a distance he might have just been another random fighter to Tyrion.

I'm trying to think of why Tyrion wouldn't have tried to look for him after seeing him jump in the water.

he said "flee you fucking idiot" he knew it was jaime

Einchy

For the same reason you applied to Gendry, they can't kill Jorah in the episode following his return. I have also a feeling he may follow his father step after all.

I think it's a bit different for us as an audience because we've seen him over the years, so while his return and then death would be tragic for Dany, Gendry's would just be blueballs.

wandering

Banned

There's more than one magic dude, dude.

I guess I need to stay away from the ASoIAF subreddit. They're revealing so many more problems with the show that I hadn't even seen (not book related).

Kind of tried to turn my brain off this episode, so the only real problem I acknowledged was with Bronn and Jaime surviving. I didn't even think about the fact that Tyrion and Davos managed to row up onto King's Landing in the middle of the day without running into any problems. Or that Dany isn't just using one of her dragons to fly over the wall, pick up a wight, and drop it off at King's Landing.

Tyrion did recognize him, but he wasn't exactly in a position to go looking for him and save him.

This was handled poorly though, and it's kind of funny that he just assumes Jaime survived, and that it's not weird to anybody that he's now meeting him under King's Landing like Dany didn't just defeat him and take everybody who survived the battle.

pestul

There's no way they spent like 5 episodes on Jorah's greyscale and cure just to off him immediately. I think Jorah is going to make it to the finish line. Alive.
I hope so too, but that last shot they had of him looking back at Dany before he got on the boat.. conflicted thoughts.

Anyone think that Jaime is gong to overhear Cersei talking to Qyburn about her 'faked' pregnancy? I got that impression when Jaime asked why he was there. Jaime getting in on the Little Finger plotting.

Einchy

I guess I need to stay away from the ASoIAF subreddit. They're revealing so many more problems with the show that I hadn't even seen (not book related).

Kind of tried to turn my brain off this episode, so the only real problem I acknowledged was with Bronn and Jaime surviving. I didn't even think about the fact that Tyrion and Davos managed to row up onto King's Landing in the middle of the day without running into any problems. Or that Dany isn't just using one of her dragons to fly over the wall, pick up a wight, and drop it off at King's Landing.

This is just "why don't the eagles just fly Frodo" level of nitpicking. When you start trying to nitpick every single second of the show, you will be able to. You could do that to every show ever made and you could definitely do that to every episode of this show, too.

I don't get why people watch media in this fashion.

Dany's Dothraki aren't all the Dothraki.

It's Faceless Men, not Faceless Man, even if we only saw Jaqen and the Waif.

Melisandre is herself from Essos.

There obviously aren't any mercenary armies in Westeros, or Cersei wouldn't be talking about hiring one from Essos (where there are many).

I didn't say anything about the faceless men, whats you're point?.

Even if they aren't all the Dothraki, so what?

Meli is in Essos, again, so what?

Merceneries from Essos, if Cersei can hire them, then so can Dany, and Jon, and other houses like Pyke and Tarly.

So what exactly is stopping them from migrating to Essos to avoid the WW invasion?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

I thought you were asking why somebody hadn't already invaded Essos to take it over. Yeah no, if the group in Westeros went to Essos to flee the White Walkers it would be a no contest due to dragons alone. But then again, they really wouldn't need to invade considering Dany already has the Queen's Bay (that's what they're calling it now right?) on her side. I've always held the belief that Dany being in Slaver's Bay for 4 seasons might have payoff near the end of the show. They lose Westeros but they gain a home where Dany had already built up a following, supporters, and a safe refuge.

Top Bottom