• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

aBarreras

I didn't say anything about the faceless men, whats you're point?.

Even if they aren't all the Dothraki, so what?

Meli is in Essos, again, so what?

Merceneries from Essos, if Cersei can hire them, then so can Dany, and Jon, and other houses like Pyke and Tarly.

So what exactly is stopping them from migrating to Essos to avoid the WW invasion?

come the fuck on, do you really think the White Walkers will stop at Westeros?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Honestly, why does anyone even live in Westeros? If I was them, I'd sail straight to Braavos the second I got the chance. Those dudes seem to have their shit together pretty well.

What is nuts is that Little Finger's plan hinges on Arya not trusting him and stalking him...and why on earth would she not trust him? Have they shared any animosity? Or screentime at all? Why would Arya be this way against LF in the first place for LF to think this would work? Or am I forgetting a scene between them, or Arya and Sansa about him?
LF betrayed Ned, right?

Sendero

I guess I need to stay away from the ASoIAF subreddit. They're revealing so many more problems with the show that I hadn't even seen (not book related).

I didn't even think about the fact that Tyrion and Davos managed to row up onto King's Landing in the middle of the day without running into any problems. Or that Dany isn't just using one of her dragons to fly over the wall, pick up a wight, and drop it off at King's Landing.
Those are not problems. Davos is an ex-pirate scoundrel. Smuggling and getting past enemy lines undetected is his thing. Remember why he is called the Onion Knight? The show went to lengths to show he has done this multiple times. And that since years have passed, no one really remembers him.

Dany taking alone their most powerful asset right in front of an unknown but magically powered enemy is downright stupid. No one would agreed with that.

This is just "why don't the eagles just fly Frodo" level of nitpicking. When you start trying to nitpick every single second of the show, you will be able to. You could do that to every show ever made and you could definitely do that to every episode of this show, too.

I don't get why people watch media in this fashion.
Agreed. The Jamie/Bronn scene is a good example of legit nitpicking because there is a direct disconnect between the end of previous episode and opening of most recent. Calling out things like Dany not flying her dragon up there or them rowing a boat in plain sight is just looking for things to pick apart, but in reality there is nothing there. Dany didn't offer to do so because her character didn't offer to do so. Why? You as a viewer can put it together. And why in plain light could they row up? Because as Davos said, that spot is hardly patrolled. And one tiny boat coming up to a beach spot near KL, I imagine, isn't a huge deal. Maybe I am wrong, but these are things we can work out ourselves. None of what they do, or rather don't do, creates a heavy disconnect like the Jamie and Bronn bit.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
come the fuck on, do you really think the White Walkers will stop at Westeros?
In 6 season we've spent in Essos, have you once heard anyone talk about winter at all? They mention that Westeros gets long summers and long winters, there's even snow in the northern regions. Yet no one in Essos seems to give two shits about winter, snow, or white walkers. If the White Walkers could freeze the sea, they wouldn't even need the wall to fall. What's the point of the wall if they can freeze the water on its edge?

If they can freeze a sea to get to Essos, they can sure as shit freeze the water near Eastwatch. So why's the wall such a focal point in keeping them out?

Neece

Honestly, why does anyone even live in Westeros? If I was them, I'd sail straight to Braavos the second I got the chance. Those dudes seem to have their shit together pretty well.

You mean the highborn of Westeros or the common folk?

If you're talking about highborn, life is pretty good for them. The common folk does the bulk of the labor and they just sit back and play politics and hunt. I mean, did you see the Tarly family castle?

The common folk are probably too poor to get a ride to Braavos, and even if they did manage to get over there, they would still be poor with likely no skills or literacy to help them get any good employment aside from being a fisherman or helping with merchant sailors, and even then those jobs probably go Bravossi or people known to the ship captains.

They'd have to be a exceptional individual to rise up the ranks of social mobility, like Varys.

who in their right mind will think that? i meaaaaaan. damn people, think

It could a magic reason. If they were created by the children of the forest to retake the continent from foreign invaders, maybe either their power or ambition stops at the edge of Westeros. I don't think it is the later, since they turned against their creators and the powers that made them come to be, so rules or pacts alone wont stop them, but if there is any magic in it I could see someone arguing it.

Heshinsi

It could a magic reason. If they were created by the children of the forest to retake the continent from foreign invaders, maybe either their power or ambition stops at the edge of Westeros. I don't think it is the later, since they turned against their creators and the powers that made to come to be, so rules or packs alone wont stop them, but if there is any magic in it I could see someone arguing it.

Or logic. If I have the power to freeze massive bodies of water to cross continents, why would water near the shoreline stop me from walking around a wall?

rudger

Maybe I'm having a brain fart. But what happened to Rickon. I started rewatching a totally forgot he also had visions like Bran. I can't imagine that was all for nothing.

Hyun Sai

In 6 season we've spent in Essos, have you once heard anyone talk about winter at all? They mention that Westeros gets long summers and long winters, there's even snow in the northern regions. Yet no one in Essos seems to give two shits about winter, snow, or white walkers. If the White Walkers could freeze the sea, they wouldn't even need the wall to fall. What's the point of the wall if they can freeze the water on its edge?

If they can freeze a sea to get to Essos, they can sure as shit freeze the water near Eastwatch. So why's the wall such a focal point in keeping them out?

This. And for the "why westeros people don't migrate in Essos", yeah, that's just another big war incoming.

aBarreras

just because Essos are ignorant to what is winter or the white walkers doesnt make them immune to it.

also why would they need to "freeze" the sea to reach other continents

a916

So, we all expect the wall to fall right... do we think it happens next week or this season?

Or does it happen right at the very end of this season and the entire last season is about them marching across Westeros?

Heshinsi

The wall's got magic runes and shit
And? No one said the water has magic spells. Create a path around the wall through the sea and get around it. If they can truly freeze the narrow sea, they have the power to make an ice path through the seas at Hardhome, and walk their way around East watch.

void666

Banned
Thoros and Beric are unimportant and are there just to drag the hound to the wall.

Beric and Thoros are going to die.

The sea itself might freeze. Not by the hand of the NK though.

The difference between those winters and this one, is that they were regular winters that came for long periods of time but weren't because of a WW invasion, which hasn't happened for thousands of years.

The current summer I think they said was like 10 years long or so at the start of the series. Regular winters, no matter the length might not do much to Essos, but an WW invasion has to be different, that's when the snow is 10 feet deep, ice spiders etc etc as per old nan.

Just saying, you're getting too worked up over casual banter about a TV show. There are organizations of warlocks, shadowbinders, and Faceless Men. That was my entire point.

And I'm saying there's plenty of that in Westeros as well. Worked up because people are just jumping in half way into the discussion without knowing what we're talking about, yeah, it's annoying.

Heshinsi

just because Essos are ignorant to what is winter or the white walkers doesnt make them immune to it.

also why would they need to "freeze" the sea to reach other continents

Because Westeros is bordered by ocean on both sides :/

How would they get to Essos? On boats? Lol

Hyun Sai

And? No one said the water has magic spells. Create a path around the wall through the sea and get around it. If they can truly freeze the narrow sea, they have the power to make an ice path through the seas at Hardhome, and walk their way around East watch.

Even then, they never thought of using or building boats either. So sea water must be a big problem for them.

Neece

They haven't talked about winter in Essos, but they have talked about the long night, and the prince that was promised prophecies. So it feels like if the long night returns, it could spread begin spreading across the world. Like maybe once all of Westeros is frozen, it eventually freezes the seas allowing them to travel into Essos.

JonnyKong

It's not really fair to criticise us folk who are "nitpicking", we are all still enjoying the show (I assume), but when things start happening because they're convenient to moving the plot along rather than being realistic, it lessens the quality and is quite noticeable.

wandering

Banned
The sea itself might freeze. Not by the hand of the NK though.

The difference between those winters and this one, is that they were regular winters that came for long periods of time but weren't because of a WW invasion, which hasn't happened for thousands of years.

The current summer I think they said was like 10 years long or so at the start of the series. Regular winters, no matter the length might not do much to Essos, but an WW invasion has to be different, that's when the snow is 10 feet deep, ice spiders etc etc as per old nan.

And I'm saying there's plenty of that in Westeros as well. Worked up because people are just jumping in half way into the discussion without knowing what we're talking about, yeah, it's annoying.

Bruh I knew full well what you were talking about. I don't need to write out a full treatise on the viability of migrating to Essos to make a short correction on a gaming forum.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Predictions for Sunday:

I think Dany will be the hero and fly in with her dragons to save them when they inevitably get overwhelmed and surrounded by the army of the dead.

I think they'll get their wight, but the Night King will take down one of Dany's dragons.

As for who lives/dies, no idea, but I think Jorah will give his life to save someone. Possibly Dany if she does fly over there. That look back to her when they were leaving on the boat was too foreboding....

It's not really fair to criticise us folk who are "nitpicking", we are all still enjoying the show (I assume), but when things start happening because they're convenient to moving the plot along rather than being realistic, it lessens the quality and is quite noticeable.
But we're being told to just stop watching the show though, or that it's all fine, because this is a fantasy show with dragons and magic and it's not supposed to be realistic.

Heshinsi

So the winter that's coming is magical in nature, because that's the only explanation that would work for a whole ocean that runs north to south to freeze. The Arctic Ocean freezes (well not as much) due to being situatuated in the northern pole. The Atlantic gets cold in the winter in the northern hemisphere, but would never freeze over, unless conditions get to the point where life can not be sustained on earth due to how cold it is. No naturally occurring winter is going to freeze over the Narrow Sea, unless magic is behind it.

If it gets so cold that winter can naturally freeze over the Narrow Sea, than the people in Westeros have a bigger problem than the Night King and his army. There's no way living creatures could survive temperatures that low to facilitate those conditions, not to mention the fact that they are medieval in tech.

Ravelle

aaaaaaaand? i think the fucking night king is intelligent enough to use boats or something.

you seem to treat them as if they were just fucking zombies, they arent o_O

Yeah, zombies don't really gloat.

giphy.gif

They also have some sort of outpost for themselves and a bunch of council of sort what we've seen when they turned that baby.

The common folks are kinda zombies though since they're being controlled by the Night King.

Timbuktu

Because Westeros is bordered by ocean on both sides :/

How would they get to Essos? On boats? Lol

You would think if the WW could build a navy, they would have done so by now. They have a lot more trees than Euron to build with, that's for sure. I just take it that there is some magic in the winter that means the WW can only get to where the winter gets to. So if Essos doesn't have winter, then maybe they can't get there. Also, I assumed that they are connected to the children of the forest so much that leaving westeros's lands isn't an option for them.

To be honest, I'm not sure if we know enough about WW or Essos to speculate. The story obviously has a westeros centric world view. So obviously everyone wants to immigrate there even though it's a shithole.

Predictions for Sunday:

I think Dany will be the hero and fly in with her dragons to save them when they inevitably get overwhelmed and surrounded by the army of the dead.

I think they'll get their wight, but the Night King will take down one of Dany's dragons.

As for who lives/dies, no idea, but I think Jorah will give his life to save someone. Possibly Dany if she does fly over there. That look back to her when they were leaving on the boat was too foreboding....
I don't know if this will happen, but I like it. Jon could jump on a dragon too.

Guevara

I'm worried we'll never get satisfactory explanations of what the Night King, children of the forest, three eyed raven, etc. even are.

I want way more on the mystical side, but they're running out of time.

aBarreras

You would think if the WW could build a navy, they would have done so by now. They have a lot more trees than Euron to build with, that's for sure. I just take it that there is some magic in the winter that means the WW can only get to where the winter gets to. So if Essos doesn't have winter, then maybe they can't get there. Also, I assumed that they are connected to the children of the forest so much that leaving westeros's lands isn't an option for them.

To be honest, I'm not sure if we know enough about WW or Essos to speculate. The story obviously has a westeros centric world view. So obviously everyone wants to immigrate there even though it's a shithole.

i mean, they killed Leaf last season, and didnt give a fuck that she was a children of the forest

Hyun Sai

So the winter that's coming is magical in nature, because that's the only explanation that would work for a whole ocean that runs north to south to freeze. The Arctic Ocean freezes (well not as much) due to being situatuated in the northern pole. The Atlantic gets cold in the winter, but would never freeze over, unless conditions get to the point where life can not be sustained on earth due to how cold it is. No naturally occurring winter is going to freeze over the Narrow Sea, unless magic is behind it.

But the winter ALREADY happened in the past anyway. It never freezed the water, or Essos people would have known that for long.

I'm worried we'll never get satisfactory explanations of what the Night King, children of the forest, three eyed raven, etc. even are.

I want way more on the mystical side, but they're running out of time.

I feel the COTF and White Walkers have already been explained sufficiently for the TV show. Obviously there's still more that needs to be said about the Three-eyed Raven.

Heshinsi

Yeah, zombies don't really gloat.

giphy.gif

They also have some sort of outpost for themselves and a bunch of council of sort what we've seen when they turned that baby.

The common folks are kinda zombies though since they're being controlled by the Night King.

The White Walkers aren't zombies, we know that already :)

Maybe I'm having a brain fart. But what happened to Rickon. I started rewatching a totally forgot he also had visions like Bran. I can't imagine that was all for nothing.

Ramsay released him at the battle of the bastards, he ran towards Jon Snow, then Ramsay shot and killed him with an arrow.

Top Bottom