• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only three episodes into Season 2 but I'm enjoying it so far. Season 1 was pretty amazing (I just finished it days ago) so I guess S2 has a lot to live up to, but as soon as I go into this thread I see posts like "Season 2 was garbage" and the like. I hate when that happens.

Seems pretty good so far. Where does it go wrong for people? I'm just as invested in the story as ever.

Also, Peter Dinklage continues to be my favorite thing about the show.

(I haven't read and probably won't read the books)

If you haven't read the books, the season will come across as great to excellent TV.

If you have read the books, the season will leave you a bit disappointed with the liberties taken in characters and their story archs. Obviously, the hyperbole gets harsher the more you're invested in the books.

So... enjoy!

Davey Cakes

This is why. You don't have those expectations. It seems to have soured a lot of the book fans. But the show is great when you don't try to compare and just watch it for the fun entertaining show it is.
I could have guessed. Heh.

I just don't read books anymore. And I know how book->film adaptations are with people. There was a lot of bitching about the Harry Potter and LotR movies in comparison to the books. I never finished the former series (watched up the the fourth movie) but I did watch the LotR trilogy and enjoyed it regardless of how it compares to the books.

As a side point, shows like Game of Thrones remind me why I don't really care to watch movies anymore. GoT is more compelling to me than most fantasy movies I've ever seen.

Being a lover of "good TV" I'm glad that Season 2 is up to snuff for people like me. I'll continue watching with confidence.

I could have guessed. Heh.

I just don't read books anymore. And I know how book->film adaptations are with people. There was a lot of bitching about the Harry Potter and LotR movies in comparison to the books. I never finished the former series (watched up the the fourth movie) but I did watch the LotR trilogy and enjoyed it regardless of how it compares to the books.

As a side point, shows like Game of Thrones remind me why I don't really care to watch movies anymore. GoT is more compelling to me than most fantasy movies I've ever seen.

Being a lover of "good TV" I'm glad that Season 2 is up to snuff for people like me. I'll continue watching with confidence.

Yeah, I didn't read LOTR so I had zero expectations and I loved it. I worshipped Harry Potter, but I also really liked the movies as another forum for the stories. I haven't read these books, but I know all the major plot points, so I don't really care how they've changed it. Adaptations are just hard to pull off and some sacrifices need to be made. The good thing is GRRM seems to like what they doing with his material so at least there is that. Also, the show is a huge hit so the normal fans continue to embrace it as well. Season 2 had missteps but overall was an outstanding show.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Here's the pic, had to take it quickly with my phone.

bf90fdac.jpg

If you haven't read the books, the season will come across as great to excellent TV.

This is exactly how it felt the first time I watched the series, oblivious to the books. After season 1, I started to read the ASOIF books and there's just this feeling that the tv series isn't on par(?) with the scale of the books but its understandable because of the its budget. But on the other hand I enjoyed reading the books overall and can't get enough of it

Roders5

You lucky son of a gun, meeting Peter Dinklage. I'm all jealous right now

Wray

really? they're going to let the season go two eps past that shit?

ok then...

Seems like a solid move imo. I see it happening like this...

Ep8 - RW
Ep9 - RW Aftermath + Ygritte's Death
Ep10 - Purple Wedding + Undead Cat Reveal

Plus a big conclusion to Dany's Astapor or Yunkai arc in there somewhere.

Stretches out the big moments over three episodes without fucking up the pacing and leaves plenty of big SoS stuff for S4.

RW is episode 8 from what we know so far.

ASOS
From what we know? It's a guess, unless you know something that the rest of us don't. It could very well be right, but it could be episode 9 as well, or possibly even 10 (less likely). The only thing we know is that RW is not in episode 7, but that it is in this season. I kind of hope it's 8 now because MacLaren is directing that episode though. Her work on Breaking Bad is very good.

^^That would be interesting. Not how I've planned out the season in my head, but that would be pretty awesome.

Amir0x

Banned

Ep8 - RW

Stretches out the big moments over three episodes without fucking up the pacing and leaves plenty of big SoS stuff for S4.

what dude, noooo way. don't forget there is an entire season more of Storm of Swords shit, since it was split into two seasons

they're not going to ejaculate their load on all that shit in one season

EktorPR

Am I the only one that loved Nutter's "A Man Without Honor" (ep. 27)? Only "Blackwater" stands beside that episode last season, in my opinion.

Aside, I've been listening to Djawadi's Season 2 score and I can't believe how much better it is compared to Season 1's. Fully formed themes that go places you didn't know you'd love, but you do. It's really fantastic.

Wray

what dude, noooo way. don't forget there is an entire season more of Storm of Swords shit, since it was split into two seasons

they're not going to ejaculate their load on all that shit in one season

You're assuming they are not going to move up Dance/Feast stuff into S4. Remember they are adapting the series as a whole. Besides, there is still plenty of big shit left in SoS for S4
(Red Viper vs Mountain, Only Cat, Tywin vs Tyrion)
. I did a post like this before outlining things they can easily move up and how to pace S4. I shall try to find it.

edit - found it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39698337&postcount=16701

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I couldn't believe my luck last night, I was driving up the road where I live in Belfast and I stop to let this guy walk across. Turns out it's Peter Dinklage, so I jump out of my car & ask him for a photo. He said no problem and we had a quick chat, he's over here filming season 3 obviously. Only famous person I've ever met and just happens to be one of my favourite actors from my favourite series.
A Lannister always pays his debts.

Kwhit10

Ep8 - RW

ASOS S3+S4 speculation
I definitely see the show dragging out Jon and Ygrittes story. I bet S3 will be entirely Jon's time with the wildlings and Mance; with his escape from them with the help of Bran/Summer being at the end of S3. S4 could be his preparations at the wall and at the end of S4 (or closer to the middle) would be the battle with the wildings and Ygrittes death. They will really want to drag that out.

You're assuming they are not going to move up Dance/Feast stuff into S4. Remember they are adapting the series as a whole. Besides, there is still plenty of big shit left in SoS for S4
. I did a post like this before outlining things they can easily move up and how to pace S4. I shall try to find it.

edit - found it

Season 4 would also have
the battle at the wall
, which could take up an entire episode as well as all that dany shit. Even with two seasons they're going to have a tough time fitting all of this in.

RaidenZR

Ep8 - RW

What is this? You're just making stuff up from speculation. There's nothing that supports this.
Also you're front-loading the 3rd season in this proposal, which benefits no one. I'm not sure why everyone's in such a rush to plow through the material.
Isn't it obvious that the show is at its worst when it's rushing to cover plot point-to-plot-point. I felt the beginning of Season 2 was this and then some. The first couple of episodes, for sure.

Let's not forget the show creators are obviously making their own pacing (if season 2 was any indication) and establishing, uh, slightly different motivations for some characters. There's no real guarantee they won't truncate or lengthen any given plot thread from the books. They've also shown they like to toss in their own fabricated scenes as well, so there's that to consider.

Also, I'm not sure where all of the
"OMG, you can't have the season with ONLY the Red Wedding!!!!1! Everyone will stop watching the show!" notions comes from. What is this based on? Everyone seems to be touting this belief like the mass of viewership will just check out of this show on the following season- which is just unfounded. If anything history has proven when these kinds of shakeups happen, it generates buzz and spreads more interest. People will lose characters they love, but this story isn't about any one character. The general watchers will want to see what can happen next.

What is this? You're just making stuff up from speculation. There's nothing that supports this.
Also you're front-loading the 3rd season in this proposal, which benefits no one. I'm not sure why everyone's in such a rush to plow through the material.
Isn't it obvious that the show is at its worst when it's rushing to cover plot point-to-plot-point. I felt the beginning of Season 2 was this and then some. The first couple of episodes, for sure.

Let's not forget the show creators are obviously making their own pacing (if season 2 was any indication) and establishing, uh, slightly different motivations for some characters. There's no real guarantee they won't truncate or lengthen any given plot thread from the books. They've also shown they like to toss in their own fabricated scenes as well, so there's that to consider.

Also, I'm not sure where all of the
"OMG, you can't have the season with ONLY the Red Wedding!!!!1! Everyone will stop watching the show!" notions comes from. What is this based on? Everyone seems to be touting this belief like the mass of viewership will just check out of this show on the following season- which is just unfounded. If anything history has proven when these kinds of shakeups happen, it generates buzz and spreads more interest. People will lose characters they love, but this story isn't about any one character. The general watchers will want to see what can happen next.

I think he was just speculating for fun.

I think that people aren't allowing for the myriad of added scenes (stuff that doesnt happen in the book) which will fill up time.

ASOS
plus the red wedding will be such a shock to the mainstream tv audiences that overloading their senses won't do anybody any good

bone_and_sinew

aGOT and aSOS
If people were shocked and disturbed by Ned Stark's beheading, I cannot fucking wait until their reaction to the Red Wedding. I'm almost looking forward to that as much as the Red Wedding itself.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

edit - found it

You still haven't cited anything for your claim that it will be in Episode 8. I haven't seen any indication of that whatsoever.

Iksenpets

Banned
Isn't 8 the episode that GRRM is writing? Because I'm pretty sure SoS
he's specifically said that he's not writing the RW because the showrunners want that one for themselves. If the RW is this season, its almost definitely in ep9.

bone_and_sinew

aSoS
Yeah I thought Red Wedding would be the 9th episode since HBO traditionally tends to blow their loads in the episodes before season finales and well, there is no bigger one than that.

Wray

ASOS S3+S4 speculation
I definitely see the show dragging out Jon and Ygrittes story. I bet S3 will be entirely Jon's time with the wildlings and Mance; with his escape from them with the help of Bran/Summer being at the end of S3. S4 could be his preparations at the wall and at the end of S4 (or closer to the middle) would be the battle with the wildings and Ygrittes death. They will really want to drag that out.

The actress that plays Ygritte stated she is only signed on through S3. Besides, it wouldn't make any sense budget wise to bring her back for an episode or two of S4. This is a show that constantly has to make room for new characters coming in.

You still haven't cited anything for your claim that it will be in Episode 8. I haven't seen any indication of that whatsoever.

Ep7 is going to contain the events leading up the Red Wedding based on the title, and we know the RW isnt going to be in that episode itself according to GRRM himself. It's woefully obvious its going to happen in Ep8 by this point unless they take a week break from that entire storyline all together. The outline I posted makes perfect sense from a tv plotting and story arc pov.

Feel free to bump this next May if I'm wrong.

Isn't 8 the episode that GRRM is writing? Because I'm pretty sure SoS
he's specifically said that he's not writing the RW because the showrunners want that one for themselves. If the RW is this season, its almost definitely in ep9.

GRRM is writing the 7th episode of the season.

Feel free to bump this next May if I'm wrong.

If i remember I certainly will...

I will tell you, season 3 would be to epic for 10 episodes if they went by your speculation... I mean, what does that leave for Season 4? Where does Dany and Jaime/Brienne fit into all of that epicness? Their stuff can't carry season 4 by themselves.

This is why. You don't have those expectations. It seems to have soured a lot of the book fans. But the show is great when you don't try to compare and just watch it for the fun entertaining show it is.

Not really. Reading the books or not reading them doesn't make problems with direction and writing disappear. There are plenty of people who view the show as a c-level HBO title

Wray

If i remember I certainly will...

I will tell you, season 3 would be to epic for 10 episodes if they went by your speculation... I mean, what does that leave for Season 4? Where does Dany and Jaime/Brienne fit into all of that epicness? Their stuff can't carry season 4 by themselves.

Dany's plotline is entirely unrelated to any other plotline in book 3 and can end anywhere.

Jaime doesn't get to Kings Landing until after Joffrey is dead anyway. I would imagine his S3 arc could end with him saving Brienne in Harrenhal, and then him returning to KL to start S4.

And there are plenty of epic things from SoS that would still happen in S4. (The Major Wall Battle, Stannis arriving, Jon becoming Lord Commander, Only Cat, Viper vs Mountain, Dany sacking Meereen, Tyrion vs Tywin) and that doesnt even count things they can move up from Feast and Dance.

season 3 spoiler
I assumed Riverun.

You might be right. Spent like 2 minutes trying to come up with some alternatives and Riverrun never even crossed my mind. I also read the wiki article, and it turns out the Castle is an apartment complex. I envy the people that can call that castle their home. There is still a couple of units left for sale including the old keep. Perfect chance for any member of rich irishGAF who wants their own castle!

Edit: Found some prices! £190,000 for the cheapest unit is not too bad, but I guess the location is far from optimal.

EktorPR

Not really. Reading the books or not reading them doesn't make problems with direction and writing disappear. There are plenty of people who view the show as a c-level HBO title

While the show certainly has direction and writing problems, I don't see how those downgrade the show to "c-level" HBO fare. It still has plenty of redeeming qualities... Competent acting (ranging from serviceable to fantastic), gorgeous art direction, a fitting and memorable score, and a sense of scale only "Rome" (with a higher budget) achieved back in its day.

Davey Cakes

Really? Wow. In terms of HBO shows I've only fully watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Larry Sanders Show, The Sopranos, and Deadwood, but GoT seems pretty much up to par with these and other great shows in general. I'm already liking it more than The Sopranos after 14 eps. Can't decide if it's up to Deadwood's level yet, though.

People have their opinions.

And there are plenty of epic things from SoS that would still happen in S4. (The Major Wall Battle)

But you had mentioned
Ygrittes death
which if i recall correctly, takes place AFTER the fact, unless I am confusing the timing of it, which is why i brought it up.

Iksenpets

Banned
But you had mentioned
Ygrittes death
which if i recall correctly, takes place AFTER the fact, unless I am confusing the timing of it, which is why i brought it up.

SoS major spoilers
Ygritte dies before the main battle at the wall. She's part of the Magnar of Thenn's party that tries to take Castle Black from the south and open the gate for Mance shortly after Jon arrives back at the Wall. She dies when Jon and the Watch defeat them and foil that plan. Only after that does the real battle begin with Mance trying to take the gate by force from the North with pure numbers and giants and mammoths and whatnot.

If Ygritte needs to die before the end of season 3 they'll either need to change the circumstances (having Ygritte die in the scuffle with Jon and Summer could maybe work?) or basically have Jon's plot in season 4 be nothing but the battle and his subsequent election as LC, which would require stretching that battle over a lot of episodes while still keeping it interesting.

Sure, but they are the minority, and even the disappointed ones will still keep watching and making sure I live a comfortable life.

If Ygritte needs to die before the end of season 3 they'll either need to change the circumstances(having Ygritte die in the scuffle with Jon and Summer could maybe work?) or basically have Jon's plot in season 4 be nothing but the battle and his subsequent election as LC, which would require stretching that battle over a lot of episodes while still keeping it interesting.

Ahh ok so i was confusing the two battles, but this simply brings up what I was talking about before... again, there just isn't a whole lot compelling without really dragging things out and as such other stuff will just get lost in the shuffle.

Ahh ok so i was confusing the two battles, but this simply brings up what I was talking about before... again, there just isn't a whole lot compelling without really dragging things out and as such other stuff will just get lost in the shuffle.

You should probarly spoiler tag your quote, since it contain quite a bit of stuff that are important to the tv-show watchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom