• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Rant: Watch Dogs 2 Is "Always-Online" [Update: does not require internet]

Disgraced

Yeah. This mad dash to "expose" games before official releases is tired. Whatever they decide to do with their game will have reasons to support it.
I hate this BS. So many people want to complain that they are willing to basically make stuff up.
I apologize for spreading false info but this wasn't my intent. This news went around in another WD thread and while I suspected it wasn't legit, it is very possible so I bit the bullet and made a thread about it. I love Watch Dogs, and if an online-connection was required I'd be bummed out because A. my Internet-connection isn't very consistent B. I don't pay for Xbox Gold (my plat of choice). If it was totally true I figured other fans would've liked to know.

Whatever. Something to get outraged about I guess.

Well yeah

Why should I have to have an internet connection up 24/7 to enjoy a single player story?

I turned off invasions on watch dogs by playing offline, don't want or need to deal with that stuff

BTW I realize op has been updated my response is more about this awful comment and always online games in general, NOT watch dogs 2

Yo. I wrote the Game Rant article. Just want to give context into what I wrote. This is from the official Ubisoft announcement page:

"Watch Dogs 2 is a connected experience (though you won’t need an internet connection to play). We’ve taken everything you’ve liked from the original and expanded upon it to create a more seamless and complete online experience. From revamped PvP modes to introducing Co-Op play, as a DedSec hacker you’re never alone."

http://watchdogs.ubisoft.com/watchdogs/en-US/news/152-253290-16/watch-dogs-2-reveal-release-date

So a non-story...

EYEL1NER

Glad to see that update. I played the first game almost completely offline while working in a remote location. When I got back home and played a bit of it online, the only difference that made an impact I noticed was invasions and I didn't care for those. At this time, I CAN be online at all times, but I dont care for the requirement and prefer to have the option to play offline if I had to.

shanafan

Honest question, do some people keep their current gen consoles (Xbox One, PS4) offline? What would be a reason to have your console offline?

Jedi2016

I don't care if it's connected, as long as they don't shove it down your throat like last time. I couldn't go more than a couple minutes in the original without a pop-up telling me about some online challenge that I couldn't give two shits about. If they plan to do that kind of crap again, that's fine, but let us opt-out, for fuck's sake.

EYEL1NER

Honest question, do some people keep their current gen consoles (Xbox One, PS4) offline? What would be a reason to have your console offline?
Living in a location without stable internet connection. I just wrapped up three years living/working in a remote location in the Arctic. Two years ago when I came home to see my family, I left my 360 that I had been hauling back and forth and bought an Xbone to take with me. I was offline 99% of the time and would only connect to the Internet sporadically to download a small game patch or system update, or to sync the achievements (if I received a message saying that the space dedicated to achievements was nearing full). If I was still working at that location, this game would not be on my list to buy except for at a sub-$20 price or used, so that I could play it during the couple weeks here and there that I would be at home.

Top Bottom