• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Sack: The Youtube Retro Show Where Sega and Nintendo Fans Review Games

Danji

Found out about Game Sack when Joe Redifer came on as an editor on The Video Game Years (a show I also work on over at Retroware TV.) It surprised me that he's the same guy who made songs at OC Remix all those years ago.

I'm a huge fan of Game Sack and have seen every episode. Where a lot of shows play at pretentious intellectual investigations of extremely popular video games I find myself learning more from shows like Game Sack because they cover a lot of games I've never seen before. This is infinitely more interesting than hearing a person's ramblings on Mario 64.

It is very well executed, even more so than other shows that are far more popular.

You get videos of considerable lenght, well shot and produced, good video feed, games are played in the original machines...

BUT...

The discussion and analisis is super superfical. You don't really get anything out of this 2 gentleman opinions. It's basically boiled down to Gamepro game analysis of the early 90's or schoolyard videogame talk.

Don't mean to be offensive to these 2 guys as there's obviously a lot hard work invested in making the segments, but is just the way they are presented to me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Actually, I rather like Joe's commentary since he tends to be super technical about things, it is actually quite the learning experience, Dave I find less interesting.

Best gaming show on YT. Very well done, in depth and they seem to know what they're talking about, but sometimes I find them way too nerdy and cringeworthy at times.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They work best when they're riffing on eachother, so it's kind of disappointing they split up the reviews. I'd love to see them lessen the number of games covered and have them both do the same games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
They work best when they're riffing on eachother, so it's kind of disappointing they split up the reviews. I'd love to see them lessen the number of games covered and have them both do the same games.

Sometimes this occurs.

jholmes

The Data East episode was great. There's so much crap on YouTube and it's awesome to find videos that actually teach you something instead of trying to impress you about Doki Doki Panic or whatever.

Flink

Everyone should donate to their Patreon so we can have blu rays!

http://www.patreon.com/GameSack?u=180904

:)

Actually, I rather like Joe's commentary since he tends to be super technical about things, it is actually quite the learning experience, Dave I find less interesting.

I love them both - Dave is just a silly man who likes him some games, and his silly commentary is refreshing compared to the serious business a lot of game reviewers try to strive for. Joe is a great mix of both.

Jams775

I love gamesack. It's the kind of show I wish made up G4 back in the day. Could you imagine if this show plus other shows like Angry Video Game Nerd, Metaljesusrocks, Pat the NES punk, Lazy Game Reviews, etc were what made up a gaming channel? I have a bunch of these subscribed and honestly they're why I don't need a tv subscription anymore. You can find and sub to enough of them where they can take up all you watching time for the week easily.

It's kind of cringe-worthy to hear them say (in the 32X Video): 'I don't understand the appeal of Mortal Kombat 2' and 'I never really liked any version of Doom'.

Okay.. I know everyone has opinions, but this is odd to me. It's hard for me to watch an enthusiast show that is down on so many things. Weird to see old men still perpetuate the old Sega/Nintendo war, even though I assume they are just acting.. I hope.

Kanyon

These guys and Classic Game Room are my goto channels for retro reviews on YouTube. Game Sack really know their shit and really enjoy the in depth videos they do.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Data East video was awesome, I'd love to see them go into the libraries of other prolific companies of that era... on their FB page I suggested they should do videos on Hudson Soft and Irem.

I really dig these guys. Good production, and give the games enough time to cover the pros and cons in more than a surface description. Generally, at least in the past year, focus more on the lesser known games when covering a system/developer.

Phediuk

Okay, I just watched the second chances video, and I don't know what Joe's talking about with the PS1 version of Doom being too dark. The color palette isn't as bright as the PC version, but it's nowhere near as dim for me as it is in their video. Totally playable, and an excellent port on the whole. I am convinced that they've just set their monitor/TV way too dark for the game.

Also, the Final Fantasy 7 segment was kind of embarrassing. I'm not a huge fan of the game either, but it looks like Joe only got about 10% of the way through, and couldn't get past one of the early-game bosses. He didn't seem to understand any of the gameplay systems and didn't seem aware of any of the methods to speed up battles.

I thought these two segments were unusually poor by Gamesack standards.

huxley00

I never watch youtube channels/series...this was too hard to resist though. I watched the Sega CD one, it was awesome. They brought up so many games that I played as a kid (Vay, Dark Wizard, etc.) that I haven't thought about in a long time. Thanks for the heads up OP.

ys45

Yup I'm subscribed to this channel it was recommended to me a year ago by a fellow gaffer.
I also highly recommend them, very informative videos .

entremet

I remember when I found about this channel I marathoned all the videos twice some thrice in a week.

I really like Joe's retro game room. Nice and cozy.

Their room tour video made me hella jealous.

Darkroronoa

I watch them sometimes, they are really good, they do lenghty and high quality videos, just sometimes they are maybe a bit longer that i would like, but thats me.
I like them.

Mzo

Favorite SNES controller spotted. Asciipad modded with NA purple/lavender buttons.

lol I noticed that, too. Think I left a comment about it at the time.

Game Sack is great! Joe's production values are through the roof. I'm not big on the fanboy personas, Joe's kind of an ornery bastard and, for the most part, I'm sick of hearing for the most part for the most part.

Very few other people on YT that are somehow seen as experts or authorities have half the background, experience, and knowledge these guys have.

SpotAnime

Yup, Game Sack is a ton of fun. Game footage is great but what makes the show is the likeability of the two hosts. Makes me long for the days I spend hanging and playing games with friends.

ssjChris

Neo Member
I got into these guys when I was looking for work last summer. Kind of kept me out of the unemployed depression and I spent a lot of hours learning about random games and consoles.

I really enjoy what they do because not only did they live during the times that most of these consoles were out, but they are also able to give their honest opinions about them. Nothing about it feels forced (except a dumb joke here and there but it's all in good fun) and they are very informative.

Not to mention that I admire on how long the guys have known each other and they have a crazy amount of footage of stuff they did in the past. I just find it fascinating because I grew up in the early 90's and I never knew/got to see many of the consoles that they talk about.

I also just got into Generation-16 for the guy that mentioned it earlier. It's not Game Sack, but it's taught me a lot about Sega's history with the Master System/Genesis.

Great video. They went a little more mainstream this time and didn't highlight as many obscure obscure characters as I was hoping for (well, there were still a few surprises in there). But It's Game Sack, so they are likely revisit this topic again.

Also, I don't really agree that Tomb Raider would've sold as well with a male protagonist. Sure you can point to Uncharted, but I think things were a little different in 1996. Lara Croft as a character actually overshadowed the games she were in.

A new episode every second week just isn't enough.

Haunted

So one's a Sega fanboy, the other is a Nintendo fanboy. And they're friends since the 80s.

impossible

Seriously though, this seems pretty legit.

cantona222

These guys know how to make videos. The production value is awesome. Also the topics are interesting. I've bee a subscriber to their YouTube channel for more than a year.

SpotAnime

These guys are making an appearance at a local gaming show in June (Too Many Games in Philly). Their appearance is the main reason I'm going (like Retronauts last year).

I think they just celebrated a big YouTube milestone, didn't they? Good on them. Great show.

lazygecko

These guys know how to make videos. The production value is awesome. Also the topics are interesting. I've bee a subscriber to their YouTube channel for more than a year.

It helps that Joe has been a professional in video production since before the show started. IIRC that's also the case with Classic Game Room.

Top Bottom