• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Sack: The Youtube Retro Show Where Sega and Nintendo Fans Review Games

Vlaphor

I think it's funny that he says he doesn't want to softmod his Wii, when there really isn't any downside to doing it. Hell, I waited until I was a couple of years into my 360 to softmod my Xbox (didn't want to risk online), but I softmodded my Wii as soon as the option became available (never played a single Wii game online).

I think it's funny that he says he doesn't want to softmod his Wii, when there really isn't any downside to doing it. Hell, I waited until I was a couple of years into my 360 to softmod my Xbox (didn't want to risk online), but I softmodded my Wii as soon as the option became available (never played a single Wii game online).

I feel like it was a sort of "wink wink, nudge nudge" way to mention that Mario Kart Arcade GP is playable on Wii hardware without sounding too shady, haha.

I didn't know we had a Game Sack thread.

Easily my favourite show on YouTube. Just two dudes talking about games with phenominal production values. I look forward to every episode.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I like game sack but their writing feels like a 12 year old me writing a shit essay.

I can't pinpoint why though, someone lend me a hand
Yeah, I totally agree. The commentary is really weak, especially compared to someone like Jeremy Parish. It's stuff like "the graphics were really good, and the music was okay".

On the other hand, they cover really interesting games grouped into really interesting themes (whereas Parish covers the same games over and over, or focuses on relatively boring stuff like cataloguing the original Game Boy). Both the gameplay footage they select and the overall production values are excellent, too.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They talk about Kart racer and they bring up Crash Nitro Kart instead of Crash Team Racing.

Though I do agree with on it being a shameless copy of Diddy Kong Racing.

I was surprised they went with Nitro Kart instead of CTR - although this did have me nearly buy the Xbox version of NK on ebay. I found a PS2 copy though, so why bother going through all that just for slightly better graphics?

fvng

Yeah, I totally agree. The commentary is really weak, especially compared to someone like Jeremy Parish. It's stuff like "the graphics were really good, and the music was okay".

On the other hand, they cover really interesting games grouped into really interesting themes (whereas Parish covers the same games over and over, or focuses on relatively boring stuff like cataloguing the original Game Boy). Both the gameplay footage they select and the overall production values are excellent, too.

lol yes exactly. you nailed it

Jaeger

I enjoy their eps that focus on obscure and rare consoles. X68000 was good. Same for the PC-FX and Sega CD.

Didn't realise Game Sack had a Petreon page.
I've just become their 179th patron :)
Hopefully more support can come their way and the show goes from strength to strength.
Every episode is a gem, and I love the after credits sequences!

"Make-up and shoes... Damn you Dave!" :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got to see them at TooManyGames and even asked a few questions to them! Was so surreal just seeing them walking around but I was too shy to ask for a pic with them ^^;

Eila

I was surprised they went with Nitro Kart instead of CTR - although this did have me nearly buy the Xbox version of NK on ebay. I found a PS2 copy though, so why bother going through all that just for slightly better graphics?

Ask everyone who ever bought a HD remaster.
I really enjoy Game sack. As it's been said the analysis is light, but it's just enjoyable to watch,. for some reason.

ghibli99

While the spoken content is light, that's part of the charm for me. Their videos would be about 4x longer if they put in as much detail as some YTers, and it reminds me of how I talk (not write) about games with my friends... if someone walks by my desk and asks me, say, what I think about Her Story, I'd respond with, "Eh, it's a cool idea with good acting/writing, but it wasn't really my thing." Game Sack isn't *that* short with their assessments, but again, the vibe they give off (which I think is intentional) is two friends just casually talking about games.

I will agree with some criticisms I've read that when they cover Japanese titles, I get sick of hearing, "The whole game's in Japanese, so I didn't understand anything," comments. A little internet research goes a long way in those cases in giving a better basis for coverage vs. sounding ignorant. :)

Great channel. I also like these guys 'cause they're from Colorado and come from back in the day when there was still a generous amount of mom and pops game stores around. They have a good throwback conversation about them in the modified Genesis soundchip episode.

Watching some of the older episodes over lunchtime today.
Lots of great content, Joe and Dave just keep knocking it out of the park week after week!

What the shit is wrong with Dave? Did he think his jab at Sarkesian was funny? He really is useless. Shame the show isn't Joe only.
They're definitely both fuckboys a when it comes to socially aware or activist games critics tho. I recall Joe going in on one of their live panels.

Mercutio

They're definitely both fuckboys a when it comes to socially aware or activist games critics tho. I recall Joe going in on one of their live panels.

I remember him knocking Michelle Obama out of nowhere in another episode? I mean, if he was clever about it (or at all) and it had anything to do with what he was doing? I dunno. I won't stop watching, but man, just shut the fuck up about that stuff, Dave.

Umibozu

I'm a little dissappointed that they didn't go more into detail with Pigskin, but they didn't seem to have spent much time with the game either.

Vlaphor

What the shit is wrong with Dave? Did he think his jab at Sarkesian was funny? He really is useless. Shame the show isn't Joe only.

I think it's less that and more of how a game about throwing your wife would be considered in this current climate. It came off cringeworthy as it was poorly done and out of nowhere

Mercutio

I'm a little dissappointed that they didn't go more into detail with Pigskin, but they didn't seem to have spent much time with the game either.

I got the feeling they weren't really into any of the games in this episode... They have just kind of run out of systems to talk about.

Havoc2049

It's comedy. Their shows have a little social and political satire thrown in here and there. No reason to take it too seriously.

Have they ever done a show dedicated to Castlevania? I know Dave has an amazing Castlevania collection.

aadiboy

I watched the Ys video and thought it was pretty good. I went into it knowing nothing about the series and now I know a little about the different versions of each game. I feel like more games series with a million different versions of each entry should get videos like this.

As soon as he said it I cringed. I assume what he was trying to do and present it as a "you'd never get away with this now" sort of thing, but it just came off as a direct attack rather than satirical or even witty.

Eila

I knew when this thread was bumped it would be about Dave's joke.
My favorite videos are definitely the ones dedicated to consoles and also the left in Japan series.

Kanyon

Love the Game Sack videos, really in-depth and fascinating stuff that's introduced me to a few hidden gems but have to agree with some posters here. Some of the "jokes" fall really flat and I might sound a bit like an old man, but I could do without the social / political satire in my video game videos. Stick to what you know and try to do it well, and everything else falls into place.

lord_lad

Banned
Love the Game Sack videos, really in-depth and fascinating stuff that's introduced me to a few hidden gems but have to agree with some posters here. Some of the "jokes" fall really flat and I might sound a bit like an old man, but I could do without the social / political satire in my video game videos. Stick to what you know and try to do it well, and everything else falls into place.

some of the jokes are flat and they knew it. The 'flat jokes' are supposed to be the joke itself. They self-referenced alot of times regarding it...like how 'flat' their tone is and how they are like reading from a script.

I normally don't get angry about these kinds of things, because people on YouTube always tend to repeat the same shit again and again, but what the hell...

... No Windjammers???

I like the video game years, but it has too much Pat the NES Punk. He's obnoxious IMO.

... He's thr culprit of the video game years existing...

Also on the bad jokes: that's part of the charm. The jokes they make are always flat, unfunny and done on purpose to be that way. So you know it's just a bad pun/1 liner, not something to be all offended about it.

They probably do it to make people jump on it, really.

Or, just become the internet, get your pitchforks, go on reddit and mob them out of the stuff they do for you for free.

And then buy yourself a trophy.

I think it's less that and more of how a game about throwing your wife would be considered in this current climate. It came off cringeworthy as it was poorly done and out of nowhere

Yeah, I think that was the intent, but the joke isn't funny, for sure. Regardless, from what he said later in the video, I don't know if Dave understands why people would care about such things -- I mean, consider what he said about liking the culturally-insensitive depictions in games like Punch-Out.

I got the feeling they weren't really into any of the games in this episode... They have just kind of run out of systems to talk about.

Really? Joe clearly liked the NBA Jam games and Super Baseball 2020, and Dave Punch Out, at minimum.

Well they've just announced on their Facebook page that they're going weekly, so I don't think that's the case! New episodes EVERY Sunday from now on.

entremet

I normally don't get angry about these kinds of things, because people on YouTube always tend to repeat the same shit again and again, but what the hell...

... No Windjammers???

They went over Windjammers in another episode.

They're not big into redoing content like that.

Check out the mega episode summary list linked in each video. It has a spreadsheet with all the games they've covered and which episode. It's very informative.

Top Bottom