• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Sack: The Youtube Retro Show Where Sega and Nintendo Fans Review Games

I am not normally one to moan, or be the person in the YouTube comments kicking off that they didn't pick this game or that.

But Galaxy 1 and 2? Sonic Adventure 1 and 2? What about Banjo, Croc, Spyro, and many other 'early' 3D platformers.

I am sure a second video will follow up with some more obscure games, that I'd why I love GameSack. Seeing games that I barely remember or never got to experience

No episode this week as the guys are both sick. Joe looks terrible going by the video on the channel earlier...hope they get better over the coming days.

Alcool313

I am a fan of the show, but this latest episode worries me about their thoroughness. In Hook you can definitely run, and I believe that it is necessary for some of the later stages.

I felt like I must have been crazy while watching the video, but nope I looked up other LPs and you see them running all over the place. Pretty disappointing that the biggest gripe with the game (mentioned several times) was simply due to player ignorance.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
GAME MUSIC SACK – IS SOME VIDEO GAME MUSIC GUILTY OF PLAGIARISM?
Welcome to a new series only on Final Bosses about videogame music. In this episode we take a look at some game music and compare it to some REAL music (yes, there are those who contend that videogame music doesn’t count as “real” music). Obviously many of these tunes are rip-offs of real music, some were inspired by, others are definitely only coincidental. What do YOU think?

http://finalbosses.com/game-music-sack-is-some-video-game-music-plagiarized/

entremet

Video Pinball

Episode 151 - We're both big fans of video pinball. Are you? Video pinball has the capability of doing things that no real pinball table could ever dream of doing. But is that always a good thing?

The Sonic Spinball impressions were very similar to mine.

Game was terrible for most Sonic fans at the time--Sega needed a Sonic game for the holidays, so they put this out quickly.

But after all these years, the game wasn't all that bad. Not getting a mainline Sonic did make it worse at the time.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My friend asked them to do a Video Pinball episode at TooManyGames, nice to see they complied. This was a great episode, Time Cruise is one of the more underrated games in the genre (especially considering it shares the system with the Crush games).

Video Pinball

The Sonic Spinball impressions were very similar to mine.

Game was terrible for most Sonic fans at the time--Sega needed a Sonic game for the holidays, so they put this out quickly.

But after all these years, the game wasn't all that bad. Not getting a mainline Sonic did make it worse at the time.

He butchered Crue Ball though : (

Raitaro

GAME MUSIC SACK – IS SOME VIDEO GAME MUSIC GUILTY OF PLAGIARISM?
Welcome to a new series only on Final Bosses about videogame music. In this episode we take a look at some game music and compare it to some REAL music (yes, there are those who contend that videogame music doesn’t count as “real” music). Obviously many of these tunes are rip-offs of real music, some were inspired by, others are definitely only coincidental. What do YOU think?

http://finalbosses.com/game-music-sack-is-some-video-game-music-plagiarized/

This is a very good watch and listen imo. Some real eye-opening stuff in some cases, like the Zelda one.

Gorthaur

Banned
Thank you for posting this. I just discovered a GREAT channel. I only watched a couple of videos and I already love the show.

Thanks again.

Teknoman

Seems like the guys are tired. The show is going on hiatus and they don't know how long it'll be gone. https://m.facebook.com/GameSack/posts/1102756746404022

I think the view count is dropping because of the subject matter of some of the shows. Going back to covering certain genres for a system (RPGs for Genesis, Platformers for Playstation, etc) would probably work in their favor, especially since those seem like their most watched uploads. Either that or similar series vs.

Fox Mulder

enjoy a break and come back if they still feel like doing it. I've enjoyed their videos, but stuff like wrestling games that neither of them really seem interested in isn't a great watch.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sucks about the break, but I kind of sensed it. I'm assuming both of them hold down full time jobs and pumping out a video every week with their production quality has to be alot to take on. I think if they switched to highlighting a single game per episode, or one each that share a similar theme, it would cut the production time significantly. It has to be demoralizing for them to put in a ton of work per episode and see a let's player barely do anything an get 100x the views.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is understandable and hey if they don't need to be tied down to making Game Sack as their actual job then taking a break is the best thing.

It did feel like they were just hitting there stride, hopefully some time off will do them well. Perhaps not reading the comments section of their videos too. They are talented, and have a lot to offer. There is no gaming show i've learned more from than them.

I think going down to two episodes a month might be the best idea.

From their FB

"A lot of people are suggesting that we do more system episodes and that our regular non-system episodes are "stale" We get this a lot. Do you guys only like it when we do system episodes? Do you guys know what kind of effort those take? Not only do we need the system but we need tons of games for it. And there's always thousands of comments about "OMG you talk about ____ system but you didn't mention ____ game? OMG u guyz r fagz lol u suk." And what happens when we run out of systems? You guys gonna bail on us? Our audience is very demoralizing. Also I can talk about hardware stuff and comparisons all day. Dave's not a hardware guy. What do I give him to talk about?"
Well, ya, people like quality content and the breakdown systems are their best episodes. I loved Game Sack when they started out. Now Joe's acting like 1989 Crazy Eddie slashing prices on TV yelling all the time, kind of annoying and unnecessary. Dave is always just along for the ride adds almost nothing to the show. And what is it with people getting bent out of shape with youtube comments? If it bothers them so much disable them. Half the time they are responding to assholes just trying to get their attention. Or leave it and just ignore it. Take a page from CGR, I have never seen him respond on a comment board before.

What a bummer that they're gonna be taking a break. They were like easy listening for me, usually what I would watch in bed before going to sleep- calm voices, nothing to actiony.

I get that they're not super critical, but they were obviously passionate and it was cool to see all of the history they own.

Koshiro

Well, ya, people like quality content and the breakdown systems are their best episodes. I loved Game Sack when they started out. Now Joe's acting like 1989 Crazy Eddie slashing prices on TV yelling all the time, kind of annoying and unnecessary. Dave is always just along for the ride adds almost nothing to the show. And what is it with people getting bent out of shape with youtube comments? If it bothers them so much disable them. Half the time they are responding to assholes just trying to get their attention. Or leave it and just ignore it. Take a page from CGR, I have never seen him respond on a comment board before.
There's definitely a danger involved when interacting with the public at large, especially one with such anonymity. But I do think they've just burnt out. A new episode every week seemed like an enormous undertaking to me, not sure how they were managing that. Once a fortnight seems best given the quality of their shows. Maybe just ignore the comments and view count too.

Hopefully they come beck feeling more positive. The trolls are always the loudest on the internet, even though the numbers are obviously with those that enjoy the show.

djtiesto

The fact they were making 25+ minute videos every week on a consistent basis was nothing short of a miracle (says someone who waits 5+ months on a new Chrontendo episode).

I can't say I fault them for burning out due to their schedule. It also seemed like they were stretching on video topics lately... did we really need a second Kart Racers episode (most of the games on that looked lame except the SD Gundam racing game :p)? I'm hoping they get the much needed rest they deserve and then go for a biweekly schedule.

There's still so many topics I'd love to see covered. "Left In Japan" is always good, platform-specific genres (PS1 RPGs would rock), and system episodes for FM-TOWNS Marty, Lynx, Game Gear, etc.

Renovation was always such a B- tier publisher. Their games always ranged from OK to pretty good. But every once in a while they did release the odd gem. Great video.

djtiesto

I was a big fan of Wolf Team/Telenet Japan/RIOT. Released a lot of fun games that were kinda scrappy but unique in terms of aesthetics and visuals. Also Wolf Team were the ancestors of my favorite video game company too. This is the kinda stuff I love seeing from the Sack... I assume that the part 2 Renovation video will be their last one before the hiatus?

If you're a fan of the Game Sack format (minimal critique/analysis over high quality RGB game captures), Assembler Games' Yakumo posted a new episode of Retro Core. This episode is based on the Super Famicom's import-friendly (though not necessarily wallet-friendly) titles. Check it out at the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KubCWU9UXT8

Top Bottom