• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Sack: The Youtube Retro Show Where Sega and Nintendo Fans Review Games

GuyKazama

Just announced on twitter that they will be back next month!

@GameSack

Game Sack will return Sunday April 3 with new episodes every other week. This is one day before our 5-year anniversary.

Raitaro

Woohoo!

Not to jinx it but why this sudden change of heart? Did they comment on this anywhere?

Not that I'm complaining of course. Very glad to see them return as my Sundays have not been the same.

As I recall, they never quit, they just went on hiatus. They needed a break.

I hope they go back to the twice-a-month schedule. I hated it when they started doing weekly content. That was just getting tiring and you can tell it made an impact on their quality. Which was still high quality, mind you, but it just didn't have the same creative zing as before.

NekoFever

God, watching that video reminded me how great that generation was. I was into games in a big way back then and still saw stuff that I'd never even considered playing.

I'm watching it right now, THIS IS AWESOME!!!! These parodies are spot on and it really pokes fun at some of the worst in these cheezy YouTube retro gaming shows.

It's odd that during the AVGN segment the gameplay was having interlacing issues. Joe is really experienced in this sort of thing so it's surprising that he would leave that in there. I wonder if it was deliberate since AVGN did had a problem with that in the past.

I'm watching it right now, THIS IS AWESOME!!!! These parodies are spot on and it really pokes fun at some of the worst in these cheezy YouTube retro gaming shows.

These guys are probably all friends with each other. It's probably why they can get away with poking fun of them in the first place. Aren't they all from Seattle or some place? Also, Metal Jesus and Mark from CGR are awesome dudes with great channels.

lazygecko

Just throw in a "15 Shocking Facts About currently hyped videogame You Probably Didn't Know (That Will Blow Your Mind)" list garbage video and it's complete.

Palom

It's odd that during the AVGN segment the gameplay was having interlacing issues. Joe is really experienced in this sort of thing so it's surprising that he would leave that in there. I wonder if it was deliberate since AVGN did had a problem with that in the past.
I'm pretty sure that was intentional, because most of what James and Mike capture is through composite.

I'm pretty sure that was intentional, because most of what James and Mike capture is through composite.

Yeah, but it's not like all composite footage has that. He's poking fun at the fact that most early amateur YouTube retrogamers don't understand that the solution is extremely simple. Most editing programs (every one I've ever used) let you deinterlace on the spot. Also, on a lot of them you don't see the shaky effect while editing, it's only after the video is exported. So if it's there that means the creator isn't experienced and probably didn't even check his video before posting.

Yeah, this was pretty funny stuff. All of them are reasonably accurate, though the AVGN part was probably my favorite.

These guys are probably all friends with each other. It's probably why they can get away with poking fun of them in the first place. Aren't they all from Seattle or some place?
Most of them probably are (at least online) friends, yeah, but they definitely aren't all from Seattle, that's only Metal Jesus and the friends of his who appear on his show. Game Sack is in Colorado, CGR Pittsburgh, AVGN... somewhere else in Pennsylvania I believe?...

Raitaro

Game Sack- Let's make a YouTube show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIhH-_BXPr8

Joe does an interesting AVGN

Bit late to the party this time but this latest video has to be one of the best gaming related parodies I've seen on Youtube.

Not only did they film their sketches in the actual sets of the ones they parody, which considering how some might not live close to each other or even be on speaking terms amongst each other (perhaps?) is quite a feat already, but they even got the individual camera angles, visual style, style of narration and mannerisms / quirks down to a tee. Very impressive!

I definitely want to see them do a follow-up to this and cover people like JonTron (with random singing), AlphaOmegaSin (metal + anger), Angry Joe (more anger + dress ups), Game Grumps (unique humor + singing), Continueshow (visual humor and dick jokes) and perhaps someone like SomecallmeJohnny (dry humor + thoroughness) or Guru Larry (for a British look on old games) and Jim Sterling (...dictator-style?) as well. Or heck, why not parody Giant Bomb's Jeff and Brad or Vinnie as well while we're at it?

Anyway, even as a one off, this was great stuff from the Sacks and I'm still very happy to see regular videos coming again!

Dremark

Banned
Was he ever?

Even from the beginning he was the Go-Bot of YouTube.

He used to be one of the highest subscriber accounts on YouTube iirc. They promoted his earlier videos and he blew up for a while, I think that's a big part of why people were so hateful toward him as he basically got the spot James should have.

He used to be one of the highest subscriber accounts on YouTube iirc. They promoted his earlier videos and he blew up for a while, I think that's a big part of why people were so hateful toward him as he basically got the spot James should have.

I think YouTube highlighted The Irate Gamer over James because AVGN was just too vulgar to be featured on their front page. I'm sure that people at YouTube knew that James was a big hit, but had problems with his low brow comedy style and his heavy use of explicit language. The Irate Gamer was AVGN light, a show that was done in a similar style but also much cleaner for their featured page.

These guys are interesting, but just not enough that it puts me right to sleep.

I mean it in the most positive way possible as it's been my goto videos right before bed time. I think it might be dave's voice.

Great episode! Surprised they liked PlayStation All Stars as much as Smash. I hated that game so much. Delighted with their love of 3D Dot Game Heroes, though. Such an underrated gem.

Top Bottom