• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Sack: The Youtube Retro Show Where Sega and Nintendo Fans Review Games

Phediuk

Dave's "politically incorrect" jokes in the latest episode made me really uncomfortable. The Sarkeesian thing, jesus, could that have been any more tone-deaf? And then in the comments, he went out of his way to defend his jokes as "sticking it to complainers". Like, really?

I enjoy the actual reviews, but good god, can Dave never bring up social justice-related things again, please?

Cheerilee

What the shit is wrong with Dave? Did he think his jab at Sarkesian was funny? He really is useless. Shame the show isn't Joe only.

I really don't think it was a jab.

- Anita Sarkeesian is widely known for taking videogames to task regarding their treatment of women.
- Caveman Games includes a "wife throwing" minigame, which was pretty absurd even for the time it was made.
- Dave says it's okay, because "she deserved it", right Sarkeesian?

This would be a jab at AS if she had ever said anything to that effect. Like someone taking shots at Whoopi Goldberg during the Bill Cosby thing for her previous "rape-rape" comments. As far as I'm aware, AS has said nothing of the kind. It's entirely the opposite. That suggests that Dave is being completely ridiculous. He's adopting a ridiculous position, and claiming that his position is so sane that even AS would agree with him. It's a measure of how ridiculous he's being. He's acting like a parody character, and taking a shot at the game, not Sarkeesian.

Yeah, I think that was the intent, but the joke isn't funny, for sure. Regardless, from what he said later in the video, I don't know if Dave understands why people would care about such things -- I mean, consider what he said about liking the culturally-insensitive depictions in games like Punch-Out.

That's a joke in the same vein. Who in their right mind says things like "I like having some racism in my videogames"?

It falls flat because all of their jokes fall flat.

entremet

What the shit is wrong with Dave? Did he think his jab at Sarkesian was funny? He really is useless. Shame the show isn't Joe only.
Meh. I like Sarkessian, but if they want to make jokes, let them make jokes. It's their show.

It's not the serious.

Dicer

Banned

It was a flat offhanded thing, like every other bit of game sack "comedy"

if it offends you , time to find something else to watch, because they aren't going to stop.

I really don't think it was a jab.

- Anita Sarkeesian is widely known for taking videogames to task regarding their treatment of women.
- Caveman Games includes a "wife throwing" minigame, which was pretty absurd even for the time it was made.
- Dave says it's okay, because "she deserved it", right Sarkeesian?

This would be a jab at AS if she had ever said anything to that effect. Like someone taking shots at Whoopi Goldberg during the Bill Cosby thing for her previous "rape-rape" comments. As far as I'm aware, AS has said nothing of the kind. It's entirely the opposite. That suggests that Dave is being completely ridiculous. He's adopting a ridiculous position, and claiming that his position is so sane that even AS would agree with him. It's a measure of how ridiculous he's being. He's acting like a parody character, and taking a shot at the game, not Sarkeesian.

That's a joke in the same vein. Who in their right mind says things like "I like having some racism in my videogames"?

It falls flat because all of their jokes fall flat.
While what you say here is reasonable, I do think there's a bit more behind it. The basic idea is that being "PC" is bad because some people just can't understand the concept that other people might see things differently from how they do, so if I find it funny or okay who cares how objectionable it is? It's a common trend of thought, sadly, particularly among conservatives. I hope he was just joking with all of it, but I'm not convinced.

See:

Dave's "politically incorrect" jokes in the latest episode made me really uncomfortable. The Sarkeesian thing, jesus, could that have been any more tone-deaf? And then in the comments, he went out of his way to defend his jokes as "sticking it to complainers". Like, really?

I enjoy the actual reviews, but good god, can Dave never bring up social justice-related things again, please?

Agreed. I do think it's worth mentioning that Dave didn't exactly say that Caveman games was any good, though, so I don't think he was praising the game for having that in it... but there's no such defense for his comments later on about objectionable stereotypes in Punch-Out (if you believe he meant them, but he sounded sincere), and regardless, the joke definitely was tone-deaf.

jholmes

Man, I thought this thread was going to be full of posts about how inexcusable it was to leave out Mega Man Soccer.

Oh well :(

tsumineko

Their often sexist and racist jokes are the reason I stopped watching their videos.

ghibli99

Maybe I'm just blind, but I rarely notice any of these racist/sexist jokes that supposedly happen "often", although I'm sure some will point out every example. Love their channel, and I'm glad that they just goof on each other and stick to the games themselves, not the drama and politics surrounding them.

GamerJM

Banned
Maybe I'm just blind, but I rarely notice any of these racist/sexist jokes that supposedly happen "often", although I'm sure some will point out every example. Love their channel, and I'm glad that they just goof on each other and stick to the games themselves, not the drama and politics surrounding them.

Their jokes happen frequently enough for me to notice them but not frequently enough for it to put me off of their show entirely. It really is bothersome, though, and it's mostly come up recently from what I could tell. I'd really love it if they just realized that it's bad.

Eila

I remember playing the shit out of the Mario Kart DD demo disc. I'm pretty sure it also had some Star Wars demo, though. Maybe mine is older.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I honestly had no idea the CD32 ever got released, but I guess it didn't come out in the US. Looks like one of the less appealing systems they've covered (though no where near as bad as the CD-I!). Graphics in a lot of these games look like early Genesis, embarrassing for a "32 bit" system. And the majority of games look way too Euro-platformer-y for me - sprawling level designs, tons of collectibles, lots of blind jumps, goofy character art. Was there any nostalgia for this system at all?

I honestly had no idea the CD32 ever got released, but I guess it didn't come out in the US. Looks like one of the less appealing systems they've covered (though no where near as bad as the CD-I!). Graphics in a lot of these games look like early Genesis, embarrassing for a "32 bit" system. And the majority of games look way too Euro-platformer-y for me - sprawling level designs, tons of collectibles, lots of blind jumps, goofy character art. Was there any nostalgia for this system at all?
A lot of European gamers certainly have strong nostalgic feelings for the Amiga in general, but the CD32? I'm sure there are some... but only in Europe, and many fewer than for the Amiga computers.

Usually when they cover a more obscure system Ifind myself wanting to get one because there's a few games they showed that I really want to play. The Amiga CD 32 episode was the first episode I can remember where that didn't happen. Not that all of the games looked bad, but I was just completely uninterested in all of them.

Eila

Dave enjoyed Castlevania Judgement
jkTBZrs.png

Timu

Game Sack should do more review episodes between game franchises, like compare Contra to Metal Slug and such.

This show is really good. Reminds me of the shows they used to show on G4 back in the day. It is a shame they're friends with AlphaOmegaSin though. Fuck that guy.

Tarin02543

I remember a amiga cd32 demo stand next to the super Nintendo demo stands back around 92/93. I was totally sold to Nintendo (couldn't afford it though).

The demo guy gave my parents and myself a demo of the cd32 system, showing the video playback and some games. I remember feeling bad for the guy as his stand was totally abandoned with the kids next to him playing all the snes games

Wow, I had no idea how asinine Nintendo came off during the Night Trap controversy. Nintendo getting labeled as a "kiddie" company gets often argued as trolling in internet forums, but this video shows they gladly embraced it as a means to get a competitive edge against Sega during those senate hearings. How pathetic.

Howard Lincoln also made claims that Night Trap would never meet Nintendo's strict guidelines. Which was untrue since Night Trap was originally one of the games that was planned for the Nintendo Playstation CD add-on. One of the developers of the game commented that it was originally slated for Nintendo's CD add on before the unit was canceled. After that, Sega picked it up for the Sega CD add on and published it for that.

Mercutio

Wow, I had no idea how asinine Nintendo came off during the Night Trap controversy. Nintendo getting labeled as a "kiddie" company gets often argued as trolling in internet forums, but this video shows they gladly embraced it as a means to get a competitive edge against Sega during those senate hearings. How pathetic.

Howard Lincoln was a lawyer first, and nearly everything else second. Interesting guy, but some of his tactics have had interesting longterm consequences.

Top Bottom