• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

Chindogg

Black Screen Records announced an Earthworm Jim Anthology.

EWJ_Front_Colored_NoSleeve.png

TannerDemoz

Help:

Can anyone recommend me good soundtracks that also come with some amazing artwork?

I was blown away by the SOR stuff by Data Discs. More of that please up on the wall!

Spwn

Help:

Can anyone recommend me good soundtracks that also come with some amazing artwork?

I was blown away by the SOR stuff by Data Discs. More of that please up on the wall!

Castlevania IV from Mondo

All Data Discs releases and Snatcher come to mind.

crimnos

Help:

DD is probably top of the pile, but the Ninja Gaiden soundtracks have great (original) artwork, interesting booklets with photography of the artists, and pretty solid construction. I'm incredibly happy with them. Volume 2 has a stronger cover to hang as artwork, but the interior of Volume 1 sure scratches that nostalgia itch. Here's the interior of volume 1 with a hint of Volume 2's cover:

jksTBY8.jpg

BTails

Mondo just got back to me, and they've already ordered a replacement Super Castlevania IV for me. Great customer service, as usual from them.

Can't wait to listen, the art certainly looks better in person than the original pictures, especially the LP labels, which look great.

Spwn

I'd grab that EWJ vinyl if the creator wasn't a garbage human. Oh well.

I was expecting someone to be the first to post this comment. While you are entitled to choose not to support this release due TenNapel's worldviews, it should be noted that Black Screen has already licensed the soundtrack. If any of that money is going to TenNapel, it has already gone to him. Also the number one priority of this release should be the celebration of the work of Tommy Tallarico on the soundtrack of the game.

JEKKI

maaaaaan you know what I really freakin hate??

Let me tell you what I hate:

Arizona.

it is the worst state ever! It's so hot; it's way too spread out for its own good, like in Phoenix it takes at least 20 minutes to drive from any one point to another, and that is without traffic!!

everybody there can afford not only a house, but damn beautiful houses too! like seriously!

it's the worst place ever!

Also, I found this randomly in the wild at one of their used record stores:

sZuS3Akl.jpg

I take back any bad thing I have ever said about Arizona.

it is the greatest state ever, and I cannot wait to go back and visit!

maaaaaan you know what I really freakin hate??

Let me tell you what I hate:

Arizona.

it is the worst state ever! It's so hot; it's way too spread out for its own good, like in Phoenix it takes at least 20 minutes to drive from any one point to another, and that is without traffic!!

everybody there can afford not only a house, but damn beautiful houses too! like seriously!

it's the worst place ever!

Also, I found this randomly in the wild at one of their used record stores:

sZuS3Akl.jpg

I take back any bad thing I have ever said about Arizona.

it is the greatest state ever, and I cannot wait to go back and visit!

Cool find. Anamanaguchi is usually ear torture to me, but that Dragon's Den track from the game is fire!

sugarless

Borrowed a friend's Data Discs Streets of Rage to listen to, so great! I can see myself investing in Yuzo Koshiro's work. Loved the segments on him in Diggin' in the Carts too.

But slightly OT question here for VinylGAF from a newbie: I just got started on vinyl and picked up what seemed to be a good starter turntable from a reliable brand (it's the Audio Technica AT-LP60) for a price that I can justify as a first purchase (£99).

I've listened to it this past few days and the music sounds great, including albums I'm familiar with so I'd know if it was sounding bad. But then when I started googling for "new vinyl collector 101" type stuff I came across a list of turntables to avoid on Reddit and it included mine. But the list of reasons was this insanely detailed stuff about counterweights and cartridges that not only did I not understand but I truly don't have time to get involved so deeply. I'm hoping this was just truly obsessive audiophile stuff for heavy users who listen all day every day that I don't need to worry about just yet for a "my first player" type of thing. I just want to spin a disc of an evening a few nights a week to relax, and maybe more at the weekend while I'm home in the daytime.

Should I return this and get the one they recommend (AT-LP120 which is over twice the price) or not worry about it if it seems to sound good to me? I'm tending towards the latter unless you guys think this is truly something not worth keeping because e.g. it would end up damaging my records and such over the medium to long term.

rpbtz

Borrowed a friend's Data Discs Streets of Rage to listen to, so great! I can see myself investing in Yuzo Koshiro's work. Loved the segments on him in Diggin' in the Carts too.

But slightly OT question here for VinylGAF from a newbie: I just got started on vinyl and picked up what seemed to be a good starter turntable from a reliable brand (it's the Audio Technica AT-LP60) for a price that I can justify as a first purchase (£99).

I've listened to it this past few days and the music sounds great, including albums I'm familiar with so I'd know if it was sounding bad. But then when I started googling for "new vinyl collector 101" type stuff I came across a list of turntables to avoid on Reddit and it included mine. But the list of reasons was this insanely detailed stuff about counterweights and cartridges that not only did I not understand but I truly don't have time to get involved so deeply. I'm hoping this was just truly obsessive audiophile stuff for heavy users who listen all day every day that I don't need to worry about just yet for a "my first player" type of thing. I just want to spin a disc of an evening a few nights a week to relax, and maybe more at the weekend while I'm home in the daytime.

Should I return this and get the one they recommend (AT-LP120 which is over twice the price) or not worry about it if it seems to sound good to me? I'm tending towards the latter unless you guys think this is truly something not worth keeping because e.g. it would end up damaging my records and such over the medium to long term.

Ultimately, you'll want to enjoy yourself, and if you're happy and not having issues with your current table, you should be able to continue with it just okay.
However, if you are enjoying the hobby and feel like you might be in for this in the long run, I'd still recommend getting the LP120 as it's an improvement on the LP60 in all ways + it allows for a degree of customization if you want to get all nerdy about records later (something not possible with the LP60).

The issue with the LP60 is a generally cheap construction that is plagued with a lot of inconsistency from table to table. The weight that's tracking the grooves on your records is set from the factory, but is among these inconsistencies and will differ from LP60 to LP60.

The problem with the missing counterweight is that you are unable to readjust the tracking force if the factory settings are much too high or too low. This means that some LP60's are prone to the tonearm skipping (too little force) or excessive groove wear (too much force - essentially it wears out your records faster).

Hope this helps and sort of makes sense :)

sugarless

Hope this helps and sort of makes sense :)

Thank you, it really does! I got the table on Amazon so I can probably take advantage of their generous return policy to say it has issues and do an exchange for the better table. It's more than I wanted to spend but it's clearly a fraction of what some of the really high-end gear costs so not too bad.

If you are planning to play $30+ video game releases (or just new records in general) then it really is advisible to drop the extra money and get a lp120 or an uturn orbit. Everything rpbtz said is true and I'll add that the lp60's build quality issues can also cause heavier (180 grams or more) records to skip while playing. It's a fairly well documented issue online so it's likely you'll eventually run into it. There's no easy fix for the problem so it happening to even a few records it can sour your experience of the medium.

Sadly there's no good super cheap entry level options to play records. To get a competent player you are looking at around $200 and they're no where near what people would consider audiophile but for someone who just wants a nice setup to enter in the hobby you can't go wrong with either.

sugarless

If you are planning to play $30+ video game releases (or just new records in general) then it really is advisible to drop the extra money and get a lp120 or an uturn orbit. Everything rpbtz said is true and I'll add that the lp60's build quality issues can also cause heavier (180 grams or more) records to skip while playing. It's a fairly well documented issue online so it's likely you'll eventually run into it. There's no easy fix for the problem so it happening to even a few records it can sour your experience of the medium.

Sadly there's no good super cheap entry level options to play records. To get a competent player you are looking at around $200 and they're no where near what people would consider audiophile but for someone who just wants a nice setup to enter in the hobby you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the additional info. I just ordered the LP120 and arranged the return of the LP60. Fortunately given it's Amazon they are pretty much no-quibble if you say you weren't happy with the item performance, and they're even getting it picked up, so it worked out nicely as a learning experience. I just wish I'd done the research properly first but oh well!

Thanks for the additional info. I just ordered the LP120 and arranged the return of the LP60. Fortunately given it's Amazon they are pretty much no-quibble if you say you weren't happy with the item performance, and they're even getting it picked up, so it worked out nicely as a learning experience. I just wish I'd done the research properly first but oh well!

Glad it worked out. The lp60 is pushed so hard in stores that and had great reviews online that its easy to believe it's worth a purchase. The lp120 will definitely serve you much better. I would just check to make sure your plate isn't bent when the turntable finally arrives. It's a rare but known quality control issue but thankfully it's easy enough to get replaced if you need to.

OnPoint

I was expecting someone to be the first to post this comment. While you are entitled to choose not to support this release due TenNapel's worldviews, it should be noted that Black Screen has already licensed the soundtrack. If any of that money is going to TenNapel, it has already gone to him. Also the number one priority of this release should be the celebration of the work of Tommy Tallarico on the soundtrack of the game.

Sometimes the association of one rotten person can color a whole project. We all know what one bad apple can do to a bunch, no? I don't see any issue with someone not wanting to support the EWJ brand due to this, but I also don't see any issue with someone who can divorce the two.

rpbtz

kubus

I'm actually in the exact boat as sugarless (except I got a Crosley instead of the LP60) and I was about to ask a similar question so your (and rpbtz's) post have also been incredibly helpful to my situation! So thank you :)

Could you perhaps elaborate what you meant with the above bolded part? Are newer records more prone to damage because they tend to be heavier or something? I am not going to be collecting (very) old records, just in for newer (game) releases, so I'm wondering if that's something to consider when picking my TT.

The LP120 really seems to be one of the most recommended beginner's turntables... Too bad I don't really like the look of it (a bit metallicy/shiny imo). On the other hand, the House of Marley Stir it Up looks absolutely amazing but Reddit recently removed it from their recommended turntables list because of some reported problems. Now I'm conflicted :p. Sadly the U-turn doesn't seem to be available in the Netherlands :(

Champloo4

I think I am finally going to order the Starbound vinyl from The Yetee.
Question for you guys, how are they with shipping? Any horror stories, or should everything show up in one piece.

rpbtz

I'm actually in the exact boat as sugarless (except I got a Crosley instead of the LP60) and I was about to ask a similar question so your (and rpbtz's) post have also been incredibly helpful to my situation! So thank you :)

Could you perhaps elaborate what you meant with the above bolded part? Are newer records more prone to damage because they tend to be heavier or something? I am not going to be collecting (very) old records, just in for newer (game) releases, so I'm wondering if that's something to consider when picking my TT.

The LP120 really seems to be one of the most recommended beginner's turntables... Too bad I don't really like the look of it (a bit metallicy/shiny imo). On the other hand, the House of Marley Stir it Up looks absolutely amazing but Reddit recently removed it from their recommended turntables list because of some reported problems. Now I'm conflicted :p. Sadly the U-turn doesn't seem to be available in the Netherlands :(

Not the same guy, but I think I know what he means (and I agree). There's two things - First, newer records are often 180g and cheap turntables are known to have issues tracking these heavier records. Second, $30+ is quite expensive for records, but that's how many VGM titles are priced, so it can quickly turn into an extra expensive hobby if you play records on equipment that might damage or wear them out faster than usual.

Take a look at the entry-level tables from well-established brands like Pro-Ject and Rega, there should be some in the LP120 price range. Keep in mind that the LP120 has a built-in phono stage (phono preamp), which isn't included in most tables. So you'll need to buy one separately if you don't have a receiver with one built in.

I think I am finally going to order the Starbound vinyl from The Yetee.
Question for you guys, how are they with shipping? Any horror stories, or should everything show up in one piece.

Have all VGM titles they've put out so far and never had issues with them shipping internationally. All arrived in fine condition.

rpbtz

No clue. The linked tweet is literally the only info we have right now.

Personally, I'm still waiting for their Bayou Billy 7".

They revealed the repress a little while back. It's expected to release around the end of this year. Pretty sure this will be the only variant.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
Speaking of The Yetee, Ninja Senki is starting to ship now. Got an email confirmation about an hour ago.

I was wondering how these aren't sold out yet? Its a real small run of 250... The games great as well, just played some of it last night, its freakin hard though.

Top Bottom