• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog (French, PS4 Pro reveal date leak) feeds the NX rumor mill

Doesn't FFXV run already at 720p resolution on Xbox One? So NX having same resolution screen but decent amount less power would make FFXV port pretty much impossible.
If they were making a port, Square-Enix can tone down other aspects of the game to make it run. It's unlikely a situation like the Wii U when they CPU gave devs plenty of issues before they can think about the GPU.

J@hranimo

Banned

Papacheeks

Banned
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/62928-j-ai-quelque-chose-a-vous-dire-sur-la-nintendo-nx-ses-premie [fr]

So this is very heavily using "should be" and "might be", but it's worth a translation:

- He says he's only sharing stuff multiple sources have confirmed
- "Sure about 20 games in development"
- Their sources are currently developing on the platform and have devkits
- "You'll be able to verify these leaks very soon" but not aware of the actual reveal date
- Nintendo hasn't shared all of the NX "gimmicks" with their dev yet
- Hybrid confirmed but not the only "surprise"
- He's been confirmed there are detachable controllers
- No real dock where you plug the handheld, but a wireless 'dongle' upscaling for the TV
- Handheld game is the same as the "docked" game
- Games look good on the handheld screen (780 - 900p), about PS4 level
- Ports should be easy despite the different architecture
- Very positive feedback on the dev tools
- Breath of the Wild looks nicer on NX (duh)
- Smartphone connectivity maybe possible
- VR not out of the question but first tests aren't satisfying.
- Lots of remasters planned (Skyward Sword, MK8, Splatoon, Smash, N64 and Wii games)
-FFX V and FFVII Remake are coming to NX
- Platinum Games and Capcom are in
- Ubisoft in (BG&E 2 discussed but not confirmed, Splinter Cell and a Yoshi / Rabbid Rabbits crossover being discussed too)

Thought tabata made is clear we wouldn't see FF XV on NX?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I know what you're saying but if and it's a very big if they have a hit on their hands like the Wii was then price might not be too much of a factor.

I remember the Wii and Wii Fit board bundles were flying off the shelves as well as a shit load of accessories and it didn't work out cheap, and Nintendo were coming from a gamecube and that was anything but popular and premium

I guess what I'm getting at is while price will definitely have a big effect, the flipside is if the console offers no incentive for buyers to buy it then it won't sell even if it's cheap, and if it has something really desirable then people will pay the money for it.

Take the Wii U for example that could have been half the price it was, and while it would have sold more, other factors would have still caused it to be a flop.

Wii was $250 at launch. Besides the wow factor of Wii Sports, the price put it in the impulse buying territory for a lot of people. Wii Board came only later when Wii was already a huge success.

It's much easier to see expensive accessories on top of a well selling product.

Papacheeks

Banned
No current plans for NX yeah.

Then again Ubisoft told us they were working on BG&E2 for years before admitting it was in pre-production.

What is the truth anymore.

lol, yea I hear you there. You wonder if the build they showed around 2009 for ps3/xb360 was totally scrapped and rebuilt after they made rayman origins/legends.

GameBlog isn't too trustworthy though it sounds about right.
They also said NX was going to be PS4 pro level before backing down to this
Don't see FFXV being ported to it unless it turns out really well and magically end up running well on Xbox One.
Yoshi x Rabbids sounds too weird to be true
They said it would be between ps4 and ps4 pro. Not same level as pro.

Oregano

Won't you rather want to announce the bad news earliest possible and then cover it with hype rather than let it steal the show?

This is not about somebody like me who would probably buy it anyhow, this is about mass market success. After you positioned yourself at the lower segment of the market for more than 10 years, it's difficult to go premium again. Just look at Google with the Pixel. The strongest reactions were about the price.

I dunno, the thinking might be that with a shorter reveal->release cycle the more hard-core fans will be a lot louder.

I imagine it could/would backfire though.

jmizzal

It was a investors briefing from some stock trading company.

It said some financial things, expressed worries about Nintendo, and the NX system, and then they said ( coming next week)

Not maybe or probably, just bluntly said "next week"

Probably based on the date of the investors meeting.

The investors meeting isnt next week tho, its the week after, so something prob happening next week

Lijik

Yoshi and Rabbids crossover sounds so completely bizarre I want it to be true just to see how they even handle it

OCD Guy

Wii was $250 at launch. Besides the wow factor of Wii Sports, the price put it in the impulse buying territory for a lot of people. Wii Board came only later when Wii was already a huge success.

It's much easier to see expensive accessories on top of a well selling product.

True but I was just trying to say that people are predicting doom on a price that firstly isn't even necessarily true and we don't even know what the product is.

As I said the Wii U could have been half the price and I don't think it would have made it a success.

If the product is desirable it will sell well. I think the Wii would probably have sold well even if it was more expensive (within reason of course).

Infact I still remember the days of the Wii, game stores were selling ridiculously priced bundles, so you couldn't buy just the console on it's own, and due to the demand people were paying the prices.

There was also a massive market of scalpers and again the consoles were selling regardless of the price. Everyone wanted one, everyone was talking about it, it was the in thing.

To give you an idea how bad it is there are shops in the UK (no doubt in the US too) where you can reserve items online to pick up in store, the service is free, but the Wii was so popular that people were selling the reservations for large amounts of money. Wii fever was crazy.

Now I'm not saying NX will be like that, but it's not impossible. No one expected the Wii success coming off of the gamecube.

Thats what i meant. They probably know that they MUST say something before the meeting. So they say the reveal is next week.

They don't *have* to say anything about NX before the 26th.

They do have to say something about NX alongside the Q2 results, even if it's just a reveal date. Well, probably. If it's not delayed.

ggx2ac

Should we make a new thread on the Macquarie report or will too many people have anxiety attacks reading "NX coming next week"?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Should we make a new thread on the Macquarie report or will too many people have anxiety attacks reading "NX coming next week"?
You could word it "Speculation: Analyst firm Macquarie saying NX (news) coming next week". Should be sufficient enough to prevent utter confusion/panic.

Isn't the price vs. power a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation? Yes, $250 is more attractive to a mass audience than $300, but at that point you're most likely going to run into an underpowered narrative. I know it matters less because it's primarily a handheld, but as Nintendo's only machine the third-party problem is going to come up. Perhaps it's destined to come up either way, but the question becomes is the extra power afforded by the extra $50 from $250 to $300 worth it?

Btw, I think $350 is pushing DOA, and also it's very possible this newest source is wrong and the MVC "cheaper than the majority are expecting" report is more accurate.

Isn't the price vs. power a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation? Yes, $250 is more attractive to a mass audience than $300, but at that point you're most likely going to run into an underpowered narrative. I know it matters less because it's primarily a handheld, but as Nintendo's only machine the third-party problem is going to come up. Perhaps it's destined to come up either way, but the question becomes is the extra power afforded by the extra $50 from $250 to $300 worth it?

Btw, I think $350 is pushing DOA, and also it's very possible this newest source is wrong and the MVC "cheaper than the majority are expecting" report is more accurate.

820-900p handheld with PS4 level specs is worth the $350 value, especially if there are enough games at launch.

Hermii

They still basically had to do that for the 3DS games. Even N64->DS games had a lot of changes. Though calling a new 2017 version of Super Mario 64 a "remaster" is stretching the term like taffy.
It's still much easier to make an n64 game look good on a 240p screen than 720p/ 1080p.

stilgar

Considering in the last few years we've seen new versions of OOT, MM, WW, and TP, why is Skyward Sword surprising?

It may be my personal taste speaking, but I've got the feeling it wouldn't drive anybody to buy it again.

OOT, MM = You bet
WW, TP = Sure
Skyward Sword? erf

820-900p handheld with PS4 level specs is worth the $350 value, especially if there are enough games at launch.

Not for GAF. For GAF it should be:
4k gaming, 60 fps, more powerful than the scorpio, free online, battery life of 12+ hours, every game ever released on a Nintendo platform on the VC (for free of course), 60 games at launch, four new games packed in at launch at a price of 149 dollar because Nintendo.

foxbeldin

4k gaming, 60 fps, more powerful than the scorpio, free online, battery life of 12+ hours, every game ever released on a Nintendo platform on the VC (for free of course), 60 games at launch, four new games packed in at launch at a price of 149 dollar because Nintendo.

Where do i buy this?

Hermii

Even then, it would be a tough sell for a lot of gaffers :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

And you can blame that on gaffers or you can think more and ask yourself who's to blame that Nintendo created this image for themselves. If there's anybody to blame at all. When you promote yourself as an affordable family friendly brand for more than 10 years you can't suddenly become premium without a hell of an effort. As I stated earlier, even the almighty Google has an issue now with its Pixel phone because his they positioned the previous Nexus range.

Add to that the lack of western third parties (which is part of the brand now) and you have the full image why most of the people will expect a cheap Nintendo device.

Nintendo did not point to the price as the reason of failure and it honestly wasn't.

Market positioning and branding were it's issues.
In retrospect Wii should've launched at $300-350. Wii U just wasn't as attractive a concept and couldn't demand it.
It's still much easier to make an n64 game look good on a 240p screen than 720p/ 1080p.
But it's irrelevant. Graphically, Ocarina of Time 3D is a different beast than original Ocarina of Time. If it was made for a different system it would've been made to the specifications of that system, and again it wouldn't matter what the N64 version looks like.

Eolz

When is FF7 coming lol

Is it not ps4 exclusive for a bit?

It's a timed exclusive from what I remember yes. Not an exclusive though (nor a console exclusive like some other games).
S-E will want maximum profit on this one, can't really blame them.

And you can blame that on gaffers or you can think more and ask yourself who's to blame that Nintendo created this image for themselves. If there's anybody to blame at all. When you promote yourself as an affordable family friendly brand for more than 10 years you can't suddenly become premium without a hell of an effort. As I stated earlier, even the almighty Google has an issue now with its Pixel phone because his they positioned the previous Nexus range.

Add to that the lack of western third parties (which is part of the brand now) and you have the full image why most of the people will expect a cheap Nintendo device.

then I'll blame it on gaffers

Maiar_m

I dont think PS4 specs on a handheld is possible at 350$, unless Nintendo is willing to take a big loss per unit.
Not to defend that source, but to clarify what may have been lost in my hasty translation: That specific rumor doesn't tout PS4 specs, but graphics visually close to the quality of PS4's on the smaller screen.

A bit like how vita makes games look awesome when they're actually not all that high res.

Top Bottom