• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameBlog Rumor] - Developers disclosing problems with Xbox One drivers [Updated]

Pain

Banned
Sony fan boys like to get their feathers ruffled, anything other than 1080 60fps has to be the Xbox fault even when first party titles are not all managing that perfectly, and frame rate issues are still being reported from eurogamer, cillax its unlikely that any dev would make a change if the difference was that slight especially if it was expected to be resolved by a driver update.

Its interesting to note however report seems to suggest the issue is that of drivers not of power...... If the Xbox had good drivers it would be as powerful (delivering the same) as the ps4, so where is the 50% pixel advantage if this is a software story?

if it is a temp driver issue and now updates are free why bother altering one to please the other when you know a fix is coming soon and a silent patch can be rolled out, only DF is going to see the difference between 900 and 1080 prior patch anyhow. Plus leaving it needing the patch helps to emphasise the issue to Microsoft so they pull their finger out.
You won't last long here.

I love these "microsoft will work on it" posts, I especially love the Assumption that the PS4 tools will not be improved in the same time frame...

Oh, no doubt Sony will improve as well. But if its artificially dragged backwards, it can only result in good things as the low man on the totem gets his shit together.

A 4 man rowing team has 3 super studs and a 100 pound weakling. You get that wimp pushing some weights and the whole thing gets better. Same situation pretty much. :)

Skeff

*Raises hand*
Question!

So far all "sources" say it's the drivers. Drivers can be fixed. Why is everyone getting ruffled for the first wave of games? All the multiplat ones are games split between four systems.

Drivers are never "fixed" they are improved, constantly. If the xb1 drivers are improved in the next 3 months do you think PS4 drivers will remain the same? They are always improving.

and it's a combination of drivers and raw power...

Oh, no doubt Sony will improve as well. But if its artificially dragged backwards, it can only result in good things as the low man on the totem gets his shit together.

A 4 man rowing team has 3 super studs and a 100 pound weakling. You get that wimp pushing some weights and the whole thing gets better. Same situation pretty much. :)

But we're not talking about 4 man rowing, we're closer to the high jump, Sony and Microsoft can both jump over at 1m 31cm but Sony can't jump any higher because no one will move the bar up to 1m 84cm because Microsoft is only just hitting 1m 31cm

In fact its so similar I think this article is just a regurgitation of the Edge article.

I found the slight clarification that the sources are a big french and a big American publisher to be of note

However several gaffers have stated gamingblog.fr is now not a very good journalism site and some consider it the french tabloid of video games

As per anything YMMV

BUT I do think this adds weight to the Xbox One driver maturity issue being real WHICH WAS MEANT TO BE THE FOCAL POINT OF THIS THREAD

(didn't mean the last part at you cassidy, just people in general)

vcc

So to avoid pissing off Micorsoft they gimp the PS4 version to achieve parity?
Wouldn't that piss off Sony?

There's no point on achieving parity. These consoles need to be used to their fullest potential as long as that doesn't mean huge increases on dec time. You can't show favoritism. Most of us are buying PS4 for its power advantage.

TO THE DEVS: if you gimp your PS4 game and I find out about it, I won't buy it.

It'd be nearly impossible to actually achieve artificial parity. If they lock the image quality and resolution the frame rate will differ unless they aim so low that both platforms are overkill for game then they will look noticeably worse than their competitors. at best it means MS pays for extra dev time to make the XB1 version look closer and the PS4 version won't be as optimized.

MS may be more touchy about that subject but at some point it's going to get more costly to try this and if launch looks like the 3:1 disaster it rumoured to be from pre-order numbers, their leverage will quickly evaporate.

Laughing_Man__

Neo Member
Drivers are never "fixed" they are improved, constantly. If the xb1 drivers are improved in the next 3 months do you think PS4 drivers will remain the same? They are always improving.

and it's a combination of drivers and raw power...
That's what I meant sorry. Who's to say this is not some rehash of what Edge said? It contains nearly the exact same info. Who's also to say that the drivers are all ready out there?

frizby

Assuming this is credible, which I'm not, I have two questions:

1. Why would any large publisher worry about offending MS? If anything, I would think that developers/publishers have more leverage than hardware companies, as the last thing MS would ever want to do is give Sony an exclusive on a big franchise from a big publisher. What are they going to do, boycott Ubusoft or EA? Please.
  2. Wouldn't a publisher's bigger concern be the games they are competing against on each respective platform? If they gimp Battlefield on PS4, for instance, wouldn't they worry more about losing sales to Killzone or CoD?

How so? Devs seem to be struggling a bit with the new consoles. Even if the architecture is based on x86. Devs are still dealing with an extremely underpowered CPU compared to to PC's. While the consoles do offer ways around it, I imagine it takes some time to get used to it.

the CPU has nothing to do with the resolution, it's entirely GPU limited. some people here seem to blame CPU when they get the chance because it was designed for "notebooks" when in reality it's more than capable.

Anonumos

Banned
So if it was true (with some developers) back then... now just because it's a different article (but touching on the same subject), the YOSP tweet is no longer accurate?

Really? is this the best argument you could come up with?

yosp is talking about EDGE article, which mention forcing parity for political reason, And more importantly yosp is replying to a tweet that has "castrate PS4 build".

And what does 10 days change?

A competitor says something vague and FUDish about its competition and you eat it up like dogs? If Penelo tweeted something like " we've heard some people prefer Xbox one's environment" it would be just as stupid to believe.

I don't doubt MS is having driver issues. I do doubt devs are "castrating" ps4 versions to not piss off MS.

spannicus

Oh the drama. Is this still based on rumors or have we moved to anything resembling fact?

No fact pure speculation and some non discript shit from yoshida.....say them names son say them names. More fuel for the console war fire. Who will be the first to lose their life to this silly war of plastic and numbers?

The Flash

Banned
I found the slight clarification that the sources are a big french and a big American publisher to be of note

However several gaffers have stated gamingblog.fr is now not a very good journalism site and some consider it the french tabloid of video games

As per anything YMMV

BUT I do think this adds weight to the Xbox One driver maturity issue being real WHICH WAS MEANT TO BE THE FOCAL POINT OF THIS THREAD

(didn't mean the last part at you cassidy, just people in general)

Don't worry about it man. A lot of people here hate Microsoft and need to vent their anger.

avaya

1. Why would any large publisher worry about offending MS? If anything, I would think that developers/publishers have more leverage than hardware companies, as the last thing MS would ever want to do is give Sony an exclusive on a big franchise from a big publisher. What are they going to do, boycott Ubusoft or EA? Please.
  2. Wouldn't a publisher's bigger concern be the games they are competing against on each respective platform? If they gimp Battlefield on PS4, for instance, wouldn't they worry more about losing sales to Killzone or CoD?

In the case of EA they are getting paid....

Kuro

A competitor says something vague and FUDish about its competition and you eat it up like dogs? If Penelo tweeted something like " we've heard some people prefer Xbox one's environment" it would be just as stupid to believe.

I don't doubt MS is having driver issues. I do doubt devs are "castrating" ps4 versions to not piss off MS.

Don't compare Shu to Mr. We invented DirectX Penello.

Oh the drama. Is this still based on rumors or have we moved to anything resembling fact?

Forced Parity is a rumor based on author of articles speculation

BUT I consider this to be further confirmation of the Xbox One Drivers

I seriously feel like I need to reply to everyone who takes the forced parity thing as fact because I never meant to convey that in my OP

It was another interesting bit of the article not it's main purpose

USC-fan

Banned
Pretty easy to see what they will do. Get xbone version to run at 1600x900 at 30 fps. then lock the ps4 version at 1600x900 at 30 fps.

Just find it hard to believe they would do this.

To the posters that say this isnt "fact." there is enough smoke to be concern. We need to make this clear we wont be okay with this. I dont see how anyone could support this.

They would gimp the graphics but for most, so what? Not like they really know about this sort of stuff. No one would trade BF4 for Killzone.

Who knows on your first part

a916

Honestly, we won't know about that forced parity until we can actually compare multi-platform games and until we get heavy hitters on both sides making exclusives (Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica vs 343 Studios as an example)

If I were in charge of a development team I would tell Microsoft to fuck off. Don't ask people to downgrade their product because of your design philosophy and incompetence.

I would suggest people take the time to differentiate unsubstantiated rumors and speculation from confirmed reports. Flying off the handle for every nugget of 'leaked' info, especially when it's once or twice translated from the original report, is not grounds for childish outbursts. As fuel for system wars bullshit, it amounts to little more than WMDs in Iraq, So calm. The fuck. Down.

Thanks for the title change (I assume that was you?)

I apologize for causing such an embarrassing sh*tstorm

Seriously the driver issue was to be the main discussion

I don't know how else to convey that

vcc

Exactly. Sony monopoly for the win.

You realize that console gaming would not be where it is today without MS right?

You could say that for all the large players in the history of gaming. Atari, Nintendo, Sega, MS, Sony, SNK, Capcom, SQEN, EA, Ubisoft etc.. but a lot of MS business decisions since the 360 launch is probably game for the industry. blowing money on timed exclusives, blowing money courting casuals, and marginalizing small studios.

jaypah

Forced Parity is a rumor based on author of articles speculation

BUT I consider this to be further confirmation of the Xbox One Drivers

I seriously feel like I need to reply to everyone who takes the forced parity thing as fact because I never meant to convey that in my OP

It was another interesting bit of the article not it's main purpose

So the new rumor (which is the same as the old rumor) lends credence to the original rumor? How are we supposed to know if this isn't just a regurgitation of the original rumor? I dig your intentions but seems like a potential blowup over nothing. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on 3rd party developments and if we make enough noise we'll maybe get some answers so I'm not trying to put down your thread.

Stoffinator

If MS rushed the Xbox just to be out with the PS4 then they deserve to be left out by lots of gamers. I mean seriously, Is there any brain out there who can see that this isn't a finished product??
10 years of waiting and this is what we get. Gonna buy it thou but it really hurts me as a gamer. I mean maybe in 2-3 years from now the tablet will exceed both ps4 and x1. Crap

This makes no sense to me. You feel its a rushed product and they deserve to be left behind by gamers, yet you are still going to buy one? So you don't think its really rushed or why would you buy one?

Chobel

A competitor says something vague and FUDish about its competition and you eat it up like dogs?

I won't call it FUD but I see your point. yosp can't be trusted 100%.

Fuck, Argument from authority, I shouldn't have fell for it.

Ding-Ding

While it maybe the case early on, cant see it lasting.

While 3rd parties will be looking at the console manufacturers war, they will mainly be influenced by other 3rd parties. All it will take is one 3rd party to push the PS4 and the others will start to follow as they are to scared in losing out in the 3rd party war.

Finalizer

Political reasons... what would Microsoft do to them? Yell at them? ban them from releasing their games on xbox lol.

That's what I'm wondering as well. I just can't buy into the idea that publishers and developers would somehow be afraid of offending MS. The most I can think of is that they might want to ensure MS' willingness into forming partnerships down the line, and playing along with something like this is their way of not burning bridges, but I struggle to really buy into that given how this generation has gone with the PS360 multiplats, or PS2/GC/Xbox games before that. I can't really see MS getting so bent out of shape over resolution differences, unless they really fear the potential for differences in multiplats could be even greater than that.

kiguel182

I would suggest people take the time to differentiate unsubstantiated rumors and speculation from confirmed reports. Flying off the handle for every nugget of 'leaked' info, especially when it's once or twice translated from the original report, is not grounds for childish outbursts. As fuel for system wars bullshit, it amounts to little more than WMDs in Iraq, So calm. The fuck. Down.

Didn't want to sound childish but I can see how my last remark might have took it too far, it wasn't my intention so I apologize.

Exactly. Sony monopoly for the win.

You realize that console gaming would not be where it is today without MS right?

Two things:

1. Xbox team that delivered the Xbox and 360 is not the same team that's been in charge the last few years and conceived the cluster fuck that is the Xbone

2. No one ever said anything about a Sony Monopoly. But Microsoft actions and decisions have continued to try and drive the industry into a anti-consumer direction. They are a terrible influence on the industry.

Rad-

Forced parity by MS is most likely BS. Forced parity by publishers is no doubt a real thing however as that makes sense financially. If you make one version much weaker than the other, sales will drop.

But we're not talking about 4 man rowing, we're closer to the high jump, Sony and Microsoft can both jump over at 1m 31cm but Sony can't jump any higher because no one will move the bar up to 1m 84cm because Microsoft is only just hitting 1m 31cm

Good analogy, I get your significance of the numbers. Although both those heights are really really low compared to the Nigerian team jumping 4m70cm. :) In the grand scheme, the diference between the two low heights really isn't that much. At least for me, sitting up the grandstands, to probably notice.

frizby

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

Microsoft's continued presence and influence is bad for the industry.

I dislike MS as much as anybody, but let's be honest here.

MS revolutionized online play on consoles as well as online storefronts, and led Sony throughout this generation. MS also built a really nice console this generation (early quality issues notwithstanding) and had arguably the best controller of this generation. I think a lot of the improvements from PS3 to PS4 can be attributed directly to the 360.

MS have added value to the industry, but if you're saying they stopped adding value around 2008 or so, I'm fully on board. :)

If this does happen, any game affected by these bolocktics will simple be downgraded to a rental thus you don't get my money. Fun times.

So the new rumor (which is the same as the old rumor) lends credence to the original rumor? How are we supposed to know if this isn't just a regurgitation of the original rumor? I dig your intentions but seems like a potential blowup over nothing. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on 3rd party developments and if we make enough noise we'll maybe get some answers so I'm not trying to put down your thread.

I honestly just wanted people to discuss the maturity of the XB1 SDK

Obviously thought there'd be some discussion of the forced parity but never thought it'd be like this

Personally I don't consider the Xbox One driver issue to be rumor based on what confirmation we have

Especially considering CBOAT's comment

I don't know anymore man I just don't know

I am a Sony fan more than anything and I think Gaf may be getting too much for me

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't get the "don't wanna piss off Microsoft" part. Because by gimping the PS4 version wouldn't 3rd party devs royally piss off Sony, you know the company which will eat a few billion $ to get those superior specs in their machines. So why would those devs be afraid to piss off MS and not Sony.

Top Bottom