• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Oct WiiU Info (NSMBU/NintendoLand) [Don't Post Scans, Even Digital Ones]

Alex

Man, if that's the case... :(

That's basically what Super Mario World did, but then again Super Mario World had it's own aesthetic and assets. This sounds different, however, I mean they did mention already that the desert one had melting food items.

A big new set of level themes and a new soundtrack would make me very happy, and that's a little sad. :lol

Triton55

Is the part about Metroid Blast possibly featuring other machines for the Game Pad player speculation? Because I can't think of any other kinds of ships that could be drawn from the Metroid series.

GimMick

- dozens of levels across one world map, like Super Mario World
- map can be panned around and explored at any time
- game features an auto-scrolling, Boost Rush mode for more of a challenge

- multiple branching paths that let you pick which way to go
- this is much more than the tradition level choosing, which usually gives you only two paths to choose from
- mid-world fortresses guarded by Boom-Boom
- end-level castles guarded by Koopalings

Game Informer spotted 7 worlds: Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters (tropical), Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert (complete with melting desserts), areas similar to Forest of Illusion and Sky World and a world surround by a tornado
227839420.gif

They are heading into a more interesting direction with the 2D games, again.

SykoTech

Super Mario World is the best 2D Mario. The more hints they take from that game the better.

Too bad they didn't take hints from World's aesthetics or music. But I guess expecting a good art style or soundtrack from a NSMB game is a mistake at this point.

Teknoman

I really do enjoy and adore Super Mario World, I can't wait for NSMBU to come out. I'm excited and satisfied with the direction of this game.

totowhoa

Banned
NSMBU already has a few things I've been wanting from the series -- much better world map, more alternate routes, and some new and interesting world themes. Hopefully they work in some new enemy designs and I'll be extremely pleased with the package, sans the art/music issues that won't be changing.

I'll take Boost Rush and probably enjoy it as well, but it's not something I was really looking for in my Mario, and I'm kind of curious how it will work if there are any levels that require you to stop, have to change to vertical platforming, or have to ride on platforms... To remedy this, I'd imagine that auto-scroll for Boost Rush varies in speed, maintains a relatively low constant speed, or perhaps the mode is only available on certain levels.

Super Mario World is the best 2D Mario. The more hints they take from that game the better.

Too bad they didn't take hints from World's aesthetics or music. But I guess expecting a good art style or soundtrack from a NSMB game is a mistake at this point.

SMW didn't have enough high intensity platforming.

It's fine if they keep the explorable world map, but I hope they also keep the option to instantly jump from one world to another.

This game is one step closer to the first excellent 2D Mario game in forever.

Now all that's needed is an upgrade in the music, which still sounds pretty terrible.

DeMeester

I hope they bring back the colored exclamation mark switches and switch palaces from SMW. And I hope they keep the levels as long as SMW and not like some of the levels in NSMB2.

RagnarokX

So all it took to give the plains, desert, ice world, sky world, a forest tropes more variety was to give them goofy food-related names.

Remember those ice cream levels in vanilla dome, the rolling donuts of donut plains, and the not-mud chocolate of choco mountain?

So all it took to give the plains, desert, ice world, sky world, a forest tropes more variety was to give them goofy food-related names.

Remember those ice cream levels in vanilla dome, the rolling donuts of donut plains, and the not-mud chocolate of choco mountain?

You mean Chocolate Island, Choco Mountain is a Mario Kart 64 racetrack.
They did say though that the cake desert has melting desserts in the background, so who knows?

Nope but layer cake desert has melting desserts and I didnt even see it yet! HYPE!

Penguin

Updated the Metroid Blast info with some info on controllers/stages including the fact that you'll have Samus' trademark grapple

- one player flies Samus' ship using the GamePad and screen
- 4 Wii MotionPlus players (plus Nunchuk) try to shoot down the ship
- no radar available
- includes a lava-filled Norfair map
- this map features a mechanical Kraid that players can grapple up

Shit, almost read the descriptions of the different worlds. Can't be spoiling myself, but the bits I read sound nice. Will buy digital copy so it's always available without hassle.

totowhoa

Banned
Updated the Metroid Blast info with some info on controllers/stages including the fact that you'll have Samus' trademark grapple

- one player flies Samus' ship using the GamePad and screen
- 4 Wii MotionPlus players (plus Nunchuk) try to shoot down the ship
- no radar available
- includes a lava-filled Norfair map
- this map features a mechanical Kraid that players can grapple up

Do we know if any other mini-games require the MotionPlus add-on? I've got two controllers equipped with it (each from game bundles), but my other two are without :( I can only think of one friend who has the add-on as well.

If I'm in a position to have people to play it with I might actually get Nintendo land.

Yeah I'll definitely be picking it up since I enjoyed Wii Sports for the first year quite a bit with friends. I'm kind of worried that some of these games just won't play as well with only two or three people... it definitely seems like 3 - 5 will be required for most of them, which is a bummer. I won't have a problem getting 4 or 5 people together at times, but I enjoyed always being able to play Wii Sports with just one or two others. I'm really hoping it's a pack-in for this reason... I won't shell out 40 - 60 bucks for a game I won't be able to have much fun with unless I have a full group of people

Penguin

If I'm in a position to have people to play it with I might actually get Nintendo land.

If... NintendoLand has online... with Metroid Blast.. I'd be there Day one. :(

Though Balloon Trip Breeze at least kind of hints at online leaderboards with Miiverse, but this is Nintendo.

Do we know if any other mini-games require the MotionPlus add-on? I've got two controllers equipped with it (each from game bundles), but my other two are without :( I can only think of one friend who has the add-on as well.

Ideally it should vary, from what I've played of Luigi's Mansion/Animal Crossing, those don't require motion controls at all.. so in theory should work with standard Wiimotes

Ridley327

I'd have to think that the Zelda game requires it, as it looks like the sword mechanics are directly out of Skyward Sword.

I really wish the nintendoland theme park was more than just a tiny little hub. It should be more open IMO. Still going to be fun regardless though

The only negative on Mario is that Boom Boom is just going to be recycled 7x. They should try and make some interesting boss fights like in Yoshi's Island or Galaxy. Such a wasted opportunity.

And my hopes for Nintendo Land sky rocketed. It was already the third game I plan to get with the Wii U and one of the only games I followed this year. I know each of the games are going to be on par with the simplicity of Wii Sport's games, but I'd really like to see Metroid Blaster become a standalone game if its well done; maybe I'm too optimistic, but it seems like a possibility. Lets hope for a sequel to Nintendo Land: Nintendo World (or better yet, an actual amusement park).

Penguin

The only negative on Mario is that Boom Boom is just going to be recycled 7x. They should try and make some interesting boss fights like in Yoshi's Island or Galaxy. Such a wasted opportunity.

Perhaps they'll mix it up a bit.. lady Boom Boom (who's name escapes me), Reznor and Boom Boom.

Gilby

Honestly, even though I only have 1 motion+ wiimote, I hope the WiiU requires it for all WiiU wiimote games. It's just so much better for motion control, and having the old wiimote will split the userbase, and developers won't support 'mote+ as much.

clemenx

Banned

Yeah. I was excited about Reznor being used in NSMB2 but smh at what they actually did.

I really want to hear more about NSMBU's new features.

I mean, the list sounds like New Super Mario World. That isn't an unimpressive prospect, but once again they seem to be prioritising imitation over innovation. Yeah its going to be fun to play through proven mechanics again like a sprawling world map, etc.

But remembering back in the day, the jump from Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. 3 was phenomenal. Maps, powerups, multi-directional levels, new creatures, loads of new mechanics, music, art, everything was colossal.

The jump from Super Mario World to Super Mario World 2 was guided by a smorgasbord of new ideas, mechanics, the best 2D hand-drawn visuals the industry had at the time, and loads of new enemies, characters, themes, and features, and the result was a masterpiece that sprang from the mechanics of its predecessor and resulted in a completely new experience.

The jump from those games to this is jarring. Nintendo have become very comfortable with imitating their classics, rather than trying to take 2D gaming to the next plateau. They've also become too comfortable with a poor art style and unsavory music.

I'll play this, but I'll be enjoying the familiar, rather than awed by new. Nostalgic fun, rather than the push for new ideas that the company was famous for.

Wasn't naming Yoshi's Island SMW2 all NOA's fault? In Japan it was just called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island; it was never meant to be a direct sequel when it was being produced from the looks of it. It's like saying Super Mario Bros. USA was in fact intended to be a true sequel to Super Mario Bros. when it was first being made.

I do understand your sentiments though. I think the reason there is less "taking 2D to the next level" is that projects cost a hell of a lot more and take a lot more time to produce. They need to ensure each game sells. Nintendo is not the only company which has done constant sequels with little change to the methodology of the game. There are not many games nowadays whose sequels are absolutely drastic changes from the original.

All those metroid bits sound good but once again, i have no one to play with :(

Online online online, does it need to be said 646568677656555787787 times :p

Hyped for new super mario brothers wii u, hopefully its longer the NSMB2

totowhoa

Banned
Ideally it should vary, from what I've played of Luigi's Mansion/Animal Crossing, those don't require motion controls at all.. so in theory should work with standard Wiimotes

I'd have to think that the Zelda game requires it, as it looks like the sword mechanics are directly out of Skyward Sword.

Thanks. Hopefully they phase out the sale of non-MP controllers altogether soon if they haven't already. And bring the price down while they're at it (the tech is getting pretty old now anyway, and it looks like it's here to stay for another 5 years or so). I think I'd prefer if they kept the ratio of games that don't require MP support around 2:1. I definitely want it there, but not it too high of a quantity.

Edit:

Honestly, even though I only have 1 motion+ wiimote, I hope the WiiU requires it for all WiiU wiimote games. It's just so much better for motion control, and having the old wiimote will split the userbase, and developers won't support 'mote+ as much.

I'm torn between the issue, because I feel the same as you, really. The problem is that among my friends, my house is generally the place to game since I have every system, lots of controllers/accessories, etc. and I really don't want the burden of buying more MP add-ons is all ;) Especially if there's a game or two in the launch window that's going to make me want to dish out the cash for a second GamePad... ugh, I'll probably put that off for a bit, actually.

NSMB U sounds tired. So now they're imitating SMW instead of SMB3. Hooray?

I'd prefer less emphasis on exploration, especially given the terrible placement of secrets in NSMB2. Platforming is more fun than exploration.

totowhoa

Banned
NSMB U sounds tired. So now they're imitating SMW instead of SMB3. Hooray?

I'd prefer less emphasis on exploration, especially given the terrible placement of secrets in NSMB2. Platforming is more fun than exploration.

While I haven't played NSMB2, these two things certainly aren't mutually exclusive. And if NSMB2 was lackluster in regard to exploration, hopefully the execution is improved in this version. The information above is touting non-gameplay features for the most part, all of which sound great. Platforming is certainly more fun than exploration, but exploration enhances the overall package. I think everybody here wants a solid platformer that improves upon NSMBW and 3DL (edit: and NSMB2, as I said I didn't play it), each of which were marred by a more simplistic early game when it came to the platforming.

ZeroGravity

New Super Mario World sounds great. SMB3 is by far my favorite 2D Mario but they've kind of tapped that well dry. At least I hope this shuts people up a bit about "all the NSMB games are the same."

Top Bottom