• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameInformer] Six Fun (Side-) Activities in Mass Effect: Andromeda

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hope the Nomad retains some of the physics of the mako combined with ME1 style hilly and rocky terrain. That was one of the most fun optional parts of ME1.

Scanning is considered "fun"?
Even after reading the description I'm not sensing very much "fun" for this side mission.

Bioware pls.

Literal Side-Missions. From the title, I thought there would have been actual little activities that you could do in the world. Like an extended arcade area similar to Citadel that you could play in...or alien fishing.

Sanctuary

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ities-to-pursue-in-mass-effect-andromeda.aspx

It seems the sidestuff in ME:A will consist of:

1) Loyalty Missions
2) Navigating with the Nomad
3) Tracking Down Drop Zones
4) Taking Out Enemy Bases
5) Epic Optional Fights
6) Scanning

If you check out the article, they have a description of each of those activities. So what do you think? Does it sound like a list of fun activities, or does it seem like it's falling into the same trap as with DA:I?

All of those can end up being very "okay" to "good" or they can all simply be "Inquisition". Point #2 should specifically have much better planets to traverse than the original game did, or it will be anything but "fun". Point #3 just sounds like more minimap marker explosions waiting to happen.

Using this tech, you can reveal all the points of interest on the map.

/sigh

The scanning. That sounds slightly like NMS. Nothing else does.

Have you played Mass Effect?

Epic Optional Fights? lol

Space dragons.

Sounds pretty cool, curious about the size of the dungeons and colonies you come across. The Krogan thing and having chains of interesting things to do seems pretty interesting.

Henrar

I start to believe that Bioware learned nothing from DA:I. I just hope there aren't any "power points" in this game.

dr_rus

What's does exploration as a gameplay features entails ? If it's running/driving around unknown pretty place you'll have plenty of that like in most Bioware game (and every single open world ever)

I'd say it's looking for something new, which you haven't seen before. A good example of proper exploration - albeit on a much smaller scale of course - would be TW3. What this list tells me is that no matter where I will fly I will do these six points over and over again. This is hardly exploration.

Scanning? Here's hoping I won't need to scan hundreds of things for some little reward or something. This isn't sounding too hot right now to me I guess I'll wait for some full gameplay that shows the exploration plus some side missions to get a proper idea.

Bubble

Neo Member
I hope at the very least that these side-activities will have some story/narrative behind them. And no, telling the story through some letter/note is not what I'm asking for. Show, don't tell. You learn this in middle school.

Almost all the side-quests in Inquisition didn't have any narrative to them or through some form of letters/notes, so maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic here. At the very least I can trust Andromeda to have great combat, so there's that.

Blobbers

Speaking of squadmates, this quote is still my least favorite anything to come out of the mass effect marketing

Mac Walters on Pee Bee
While she’s super smart, she isn’t so keen on formalities or social niceties, which can make her come off as very blunt and forward. “Her mind goes quickly as does her mouth,” Walters says laughing. “It’s hard keeping up with her.” In fact when she meets you, she just goes up and tackles Ryder.

Dalibor68

Banned
Indeed. We should only have characters with flaws I'm comfortable with like killing a lot of people.

Yeah I also had to roll my eyes at that. The more differing characters the better and people have negative attributes as well, that just makes it even more interesting rather than having 08/15 characters that all just focus and revolve around you. Which reminds me that it would be really cool if your squadmates could hate/kill/love each other.

Zolo

LMAO. Apparently, in the Playstation Official Magazine, they called Jacob 'Jacob Black' instead of 'Jacob Taylor' in their timeline with a summary of Mass Effect: Galaxy.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So it's Dragon Age Inquisition with a new coat of paint, as we were all expecting.

Until I'm shown otherwise, I will assume that the 'exploration' in this game will involve searching for tiny spots where you can press A and then read a box of text.

CGwizz

These look really boring.... damn.

2 wasted on boring humans
1 krogan that we dont know
1 asari that looks great
1 from a new specie

and one more from another race i hope...

quarian i bet are not in the game then we have turian and salarian left and i bet there is only 6 squadmates, last game we didnt had a salarian squadmate so i bet the last one is salarian and this is BS cause i need a substitute to Garrus my favourite character in mass effect :(

If we dont have a Turian male ( not a weird female turian pls ) i will be pissed...

Zolo

If we dont have a Turian male ( not a weird female turian pls ) i will be pissed...

We usually get 8 or 9 party members. Guessing at least one will be a female version of an alien species (outside of Asari). Probably no more humans.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
In fairness, I'm willing to give Cora and Liam a fair shake. Mind you, I've never really found it particularly boring to have some human squadmates by my side, but I can see why folks sometimes feel that way. All these fictional alien races -- people want 'em! Plus, the series track record with humans ain't the best. But I do appreciate one or two fellows of my own sentient race offering their perspective with references to our history and predilections. That may just be the Star Trek diehard in me talking, though. :p

We usually get 8 or 9 party members. Guessing at least one will be a female version of an alien species (outside of Asari). Probably no more humans.

Methinks we're getting six this time -- tied with ME1 for a relatively slim roster. My rationale here is that the leaks cited seven but BioWare claims one of their concepts was cut. Now, this is no 1:1 ordeal; anything could have changed. Maybe we're back at seven. Maybe the leak was (somehow) mistaken despite being on-point about so much else. But yeah. I'm thinking six.

Not particularly impressed with the list if I'm honest. Can't shake the feeling this gsme is really going to disappoint.. Will have to wait and see of course.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
1) Loyalty Missions
5) Epic Optional Fights
Cool.

Since when driving a vehicle started to become a side activity?

6) Scanning
Get out of here.

Juuuust like in every recently made FC game. I mean, it's fun and all to use stealth and take out enemy bases and strongholds using sniper rifle and animals in cages (for example)... but ME is not about stealth and using animals against enemies. Anyway, I'm sure that all of this "Taking out enemy base" in MEA will get old really qick.

So only 2 actually fun things to do in the game besides story missions? Yeah, not fucking much.

Apollo-13-Houston-We-Have-a-Problem-Tom-Hanks.gif

Bubble

Neo Member
Man, I generally like the human companions in Mass Effect, so the hate they receive is crazy. Like I get that people would rather have aliens in their squad, but I generally like most of them. The only human that is actually really bad is Jacob, but the rest are either great/good (Kasumi, Miranda, James, Jack, Zaeed) or meh, don't care about them (Kaiden & Ashley).

So unless Cora and Liam are Jacob-tier of bad, I'm probably gonna like them too.

CGwizz

Someone summons Shinobi for him to tell us if we get more than 6 squadmates, i need a turian for my team ...

Jigorath

Banned
It seems the sidestuff in ME:A will consist of:

1) Loyalty Missions
5) Epic Optional Fights
6) Scanning

1) Great
2) Blah
3) Sounds like filler
4) Also sounds like filler
5) Could be interesting
6) lol

Sounds a lot like the original Mass Effect trilogy, besides optional bosses and taking down enemy bases. That latter one makes me think of Far Cry...

Certain camps acted as enemy bases in DAI, and then you had the capturing of the Keeps. I thought Keep capturing was one of the coolest parts of DAI. There was always a story tied to it, pretty decently difficult fights at least on nightmare difficulty, and a pretty nice home away from home once captured.

Wish there were more Keeps in DAI personally. I wouldn't mind a similar gameplay function at all in MEA.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Scanning is fine as long as it's quick and provides interesting tidbits. People fucking loved scanning in Metroid. Don't see why it can't be made interesting here.

The Mass Effect trilogy is one of my top 5 all time....why am I struggling to get hyped for this one? Is it the lack of buildup? Am I the only one feeling like this?

Yui

So the first 4 squadmates are the exact same races as in the previous games? And they said the cast would be a bit smaller?
Maybe it was silly of me to hope for a mainly new new crew, but that's kinda disappointing.

Not feeling optimistic on the characters. After really liking the casts in ME2 and DAO, Bioware has fallen off hard for me. Peebee seems emblematic of everything I've disliked about the characters in their last few games.

Most of this side content sounds a bit meh too, but if planets end up looking alien and interesting, I think I'd enjoy tooling around them and fighting spice worms.

People keep writing this. The Hinterlands wasn't the problem, it was the entire structure of Inquisition. Every area was just as boring when you weren't going through the main quest.

They got some things right like "The Still Ruins" in the Western Approach, quests with meaning. It's just the ratio of these kind of quests compared to the fetch stuff was way off. I wonder if it was a resources/time issue or a design choice...I would hope the former.

Really hoping they learned that lesson from DAI and apply it greatly to MEA. More side quests that actually make you feel something and think. I'm optimistic for now.

Stiler

These sound like they'll get super repetitive super quick.

Why does EVERY PLANET have to have "an enemy base" on it? Do they not grasp that variety is what would make these more "fun?"

When you land on a new planet you shouldn't have "expectations" of what you'll find there.

By saying that every planet will usually have "this" and you'll "do this and that" it makes it sound like they simply took a bunch of things and copy + pasted them, which leads to repetition which to many players is freaking boring and saps the fun out of "exploring."

What makes "exploring" fun for most people is the unknown and finding unique/different things, seeing something and discovering the "undiscovered."

The last thing you want is "deja vu" when you are exploring in an rpg, a feeling of "I've already seen/done this before."

Give me quality things to find, unique things, faaaaar more important then quantity when it comes to this kind of thing. I'd much prefer fewer things to "find" but having EACH of them be unique/special then having a ton of the same things to discover over and over.

Top Bottom