• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameInformer] Six Fun (Side-) Activities in Mass Effect: Andromeda

Mozendo

Loyalty missions are great and I loved them in ME1 (Although I think it was just Garrus) and ME2
Using the Mako in ME1 was great, the issue was how garbage the planets were. Going up a mountain stops being fun fast add that when there's nothing to do except just drive.
Taking out hostile bases seems okay, just don't do what ME1 with them.

The Mass Effect trilogy is one of my top 5 all time....why am I struggling to get hyped for this one? Is it the lack of buildup? Am I the only one feeling like this?

I'm sure once we see more gameplay trailers and get more news about the specifics mechanics and charactersmore people will get hyped. Articles rarely get me hyped :S

Fou-Lu

The complaints in ME threads always weird me out. People are so bothered by things that they have very little info about and jump to conclusions very quickly. I guess it's the same as Nintendo game or Final Fantasy threads.

Personally I think it's sounding so far so good.

Mind you, scanning is pretty much my favourite part of Metroid Prime so what do I know?

The complaints in ME threads always weird me out. People are so bothered by things that they have very little info about and jump to conclusions very quickly. I guess it's the same as Nintendo game or Final Fantasy threads.

Personally I think it's sounding so far so good.

Same here...just got done with the article and it has me pretty hyped. All I'm hearing is great stuff, can't wait for gameplay...so close!

akumu

"Epic" optional fights doesn't sound very enticing. Though, invading enemy bases and loyalty missions are sounding pretty fun!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The complaints stem from GAF being allergic to Dragon Age: Inquisition and many of Andromeda's core pillars seemingly echoing it. One of these listed side activities, based on the wording, may as well be telling me to set up forward camps across Thedas. I think I'm going to really enjoy this game, although if its critical path is somewhat thin (like Inquisition's was) I'm going to end up stressing over the same feeling that a good game could have been great with some scale-back on the optional content and considerably more focus on the mandatory.

Unfortunately, that's precisely where I think we'll wind up, and that's going to frustrate people. Now, obviously, I wield no crystal ball and Andromeda could disprove me. I'd be thrilled if it has meatier main narrative content. I do think the setting is intriguing and I love the overarching lore and commitment to highly chatty squadmates -- that'll go a long way with me regardless. I could also be mistaken that I'll even enjoy the game in the first place, although I'm a relatively lenient guy when it comes to my favorite franchises and I utterly adore space, so I'd be surprised.

But I feel like this is where the wind is blowing. Michael Gamble ain't wrong, I'm sure, in saying this is nothing quite like a 1:1 "Inquisition in Space." But seeing these systems listed, tracking them with the leaks, and not hearing any gloat over more [incoming highly subjective word choice] "meaningful" (ie conversation-based narratively poignant) side content outside of loyalty missions? Yeah, I'm feeling like it'll be something like Inquisition in Space, and I think a lot of folks around here are going to feel burned if so.

spekkeh

Banned
Yay for loyalty missions. I hope the rest of those items are so incredibly optional I don't even notice them.

Re: DAI, I think it's not just the comparisons with Inquisition that annoys people. In general a lot of people are tired of the open world trend. Whenever Mass Effect fans heard 'open world' they might have imagined something like Mass Effect 2, but with even more interesting squadmates to meet, waifu/husbandos to woo, and interesting locations to see/save. But you can never scale up something as auteured as Mass Effect 2 to more locations and characters. Scaling up means more templates, more repetitions, more bar filling. Instead of more complex and surprising worlds and characterizations, we get more rote and superficial. In fact, I would argue going semi-open world made DA:I an altogether different type of RPG, a style of RPG that doesn't necessarily speak to the people who like ME2. So whenever we/I see bullet points like these, we fear it's a different kind of game than what we've come to like with Mass Effect.

XHKlAHo.png

I'm in day one. I just don't get why Bioware doesn't get this. Or maybe they do, but they're corralled by EA.

Lt-47

I'd say it's looking for something new, which you haven't seen before. A good example of proper exploration - albeit on a much smaller scale of course - would be TW3. What this list tells me is that no matter where I will fly I will do these six points over and over again. This is hardly exploration.

That's pretty vague. The Witcher 3 open world consist of standard side quest, killing elite version of each monster and and hundred of sea cache/treasure chest/village to "liberate"/ monster nest/bandit camp. By the time you clear White Orchard you've basically seen all the activity and gameplay mechanic of the game.
I really don't see how Witcher 3 sounds better and less formulaic than Andromeda (or any other open world for that matter) if you only look at the list of activity. I only see a difference between the W3 and other game if I look at the quantity and quality of said content

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Honestly, while I get why people correlate Andromeda to Inquisition (namely sharing a developer), the reactionary dismissal of so much of this game based on supposed Inquisition parallels has become incredibly tiring and stifling to any actual discussion.

BioWare didn't invent open worlds or open hubs with Inquisition. They've been utilised for decades before and after Inquisition by a multitude of developers including BioWare themselves. Context and quality of content matters so, so much more than any simple dot point brief of features can articulate.

Inquisition did a shitty job at a number of systems relative to the open hubs. Andromeda's core design team had little-to-nothing to do with any of these. The core design team leading the project is completely different.

The article is weak and the marketing for this game has so far been awful. Nevertheless, let's actually look at the six points noted in the article and try to distance ourselves from ridiculous reactionary emotional responses.

Loyalty Missions: A piece of Mass Effect 2 that are widely cited as the best parts. Similarish moments like shooting cans with Garrus in Mass Effect 3 have been explicitly cited as influence on Andromeda. Something obviously to look forward to.
Navigating with the Nomad: Mass Effect 1 had vehicle exploration on almost every single hub in some capacity. Numerous games have utilised vehicle/mount exploration. Inquisition did it shitly. There is literally no other correlation here and by all accounts driving a vehicle in part supervised by the Need for Speed team should warrant interest.
Tracking down Drop Zones: I get it, Inquisition flashbacks. But every fucking open world game has similar stuff. Again, context and execution. At worst it's trivial.
Taking out Enemy Bases: Inquisition had fuck all like this. Half bases maybe? Inquisition was exceptionally sterile in terms of established dungeons/bases on any map. In games that do feature dungeons or enemy bases they're usually welcomed. Hell, the first Mass Effect had enemy bases, dungeons, caves, establishments, etc on planets. The article talks about these bases balancing both scripted (aka: scenario driven) and agency based elements (eg: alarms) into conquering them.
Epic Optional Fights: A staple of basically every CRPG dating back to the 90s, with real time combat system that if previous Mass Effect games are anything to go by (especially Mass Effect 3, which is specifically cited as a combat influence) exceptionally fun to experience. Morrowind had exactly this. It wasn't an issue then and it isn't an issue now.
Scanning: Inquisition didn't have scanning. It had a shitty ping based radar. It was not scanning. It provided no info. It just highlighted items to interact with. Metroid Prime had scanning, and evidently Andromeda's draws parrellels. You know what I thought was neat in the Mass Effect trilogy? The codex; discovering things and having new lexicon entries that detailed my exploration of the world. Metroid Prime trilogy; scanning system was used for literally the same thing, exploring and detailing and discovering your world. Andromeda's scanning is exactly this and, for a game about exploring a mysterious new galaxy, it sounds like a perfect fit. Again, no correlation to any game system in Inquisition.

It seems to me the problem is two fold. In part, the lack of a proper gameplay demonstration can be blamed entirely on EA and BioWare and I really, truly feel this is hugely detrimental to marking this game. I have no fucking idea what these teams think they're doing. On one hand they're stating that Andromeda is a totally fresh, unique experience based in the Mass Effect universe but free of the trilogy baggage, emphasising a glorious new story and adventure welcoming both veterans and newcomers. Yet the marketing, media, previews, and details so far are fragmented, unfocused, tonally scattered, and sell no particular coherent vision or vertical slice, leaving most people just kinda confused and mixed on what exactly the game's hook and execution will be. Like they're stating it's free of the trilogy, yet trying to the ride of the coattails of association with the trilogy's hype and franchise branding to alone interest people. It needs a long, coherent trailer firmly establishing the premise and plot almost as if this is the first Mass Effect ever. And it needs a proper lengthy gameplay demo showcasing exactly what Andromeda is all about.

The other half is that folk are just so instinctively entrenched in Inquisition association that it seems no matter what we hear it must be, at all times, linked to Inquisition. Even if it's only marginally relevant, and in some cases not at all; yep, Inquisition, failure disaster shit game guaranteed. Sure, there will be crossovers. Hell even with my disgusting lust for all things Mass Effect I'm not entirely convinced Andromeda wont share some design baggage. But shit; Inquisition was one game of numerous, many of its faults not in the least bit due to singular design concepts but instead their execution. Can we at least wait until we see Andromeda in motion, a proper gameplay session, until we assume that "driving the Nomad" for some dumb fucking reason equates to wandering the Hinterlands on an obnoxiously slow moosehorse?

Dalibor68

Banned
Loyalty Missions: A piece of Mass Effect 2 that are widely cited as the best parts. Similarish moments like shooting cans with Garrus in Mass Effect 3 have been explicitly cited as influence on Andromeda. Something obviously to look forward to.

Just picking this out because from what I've read they said loyalty missions are much more optional and "lowkey" in that they only offer character background, but those missions don't have any impactful choices/no influence on the critical path at all.

“The big difference between this and ME2, where you did a loyalty mission and that all impacted the ending, is that they’re much more optional in this case,” Walters says. “If you don’t want to engage with them, you don’t have to. If you want engage with them after the critical path is done, you can do that.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...missions-return-in-mass-effect-andromeda.aspx

patapuf

Just picking this out because from what I've read they said loyalty missions are much more optional and "lowkey" in that they only offer character background, but those missions don't have any impactful choices/no influence on the critical path at all.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...missions-return-in-mass-effect-andromeda.aspx

As long as they are well written i don't really care if the missions influence the critical path or not. By now I've accepted that Biowares choice systems are more flavor than mechanic and that's fine as long as they execute it well.

I'm more worried about how they'll handle the critical path than whether we'll have a bunch of likeable allies. They've usually been pretty good about that.

Lt-47

They always were optional like any squad mate sidequest in Dragon Age. They only call them loyaly misson because of ME2 legacy.
I don't think ME2 loyalty mission were great because they changed the ending. They were just well done mission that expanded on you squad mate personal story. Shooting bottle with Garrus, one of the most original moments in ME3 is useless if you only care about main plot consequences but that not why it's still remembered

Sanctuary

I was thinking more like the Thresher Maws.

DA:I reference.

Anyway, the new companions make it seem like they are trying really hard to make this game like the first Mass Effect in a lot of ways, and that includes the bad. The initial game had a terrible party selection, but you only really knew that in hindsight after the sequels. Now though, it seems again to be: Boring human, boring human, Asari, Krogan and then probably another unannanounced alien. "Fan" pandering much?

Honestly, while I get why people correlate Andromeda to Inquisition (namely sharing a developer), the reactionary dismissal of so much of this game based on supposed Inquisition parallels has become incredibly tiring and stifling to any actual discussion.

BioWare didn't invent open worlds or open hubs with Inquisition. They've been utilised for decades before and after Inquisition by a multitude of developers including BioWare themselves. Context and quality of content matters so, so much more than any simple dot point brief of features can articulate.

Inquisition did a shitty job at a number of systems relative to the open hubs. Andromeda's core design team had little-to-nothing to do with any of these. The core design team leading the project is completely different.

Well someone is certainly going to be eating a lot of crow once the game finally arrives. Hopefully it's the detractors. Although I do find it really odd that you'd think Bioware has learned much of anything, since they've been riding trends since ME3. Doesn't matter much that the development teams are separate if they are all getting pressured by EA in some form. Whether or not that's true, they obviously did try to make two games that they thought would be huge with the large base of players currently invested in the latest fads, instead of, you know, doing their own thing.

A-V-B

The complaints stem from GAF being allergic to Dragon Age: Inquisition and many of Andromeda's core pillars seemingly echoing it. One of these listed side activities, based on the wording, may as well be telling me to set up forward camps across Thedas. I think I'm going to really enjoy this game, although if its critical path is somewhat thin (like Inquisition's was) I'm going to end up stressing over the same feeling that a good game could have been great with some scale-back on the optional content and considerably more focus on the mandatory.

Unfortunately, that's precisely where I think we'll wind up, and that's going to frustrate people. Now, obviously, I wield no crystal ball and Andromeda could disprove me. I'd be thrilled if it has meatier main narrative content. I do think the setting is intriguing and I love the overarching lore and commitment to highly chatty squadmates -- that'll go a long way with me regardless. I could also be mistaken that I'll even enjoy the game in the first place, although I'm a relatively lenient guy when it comes to my favorite franchises and I utterly adore space, so I'd be surprised.

But I feel like this is where the wind is blowing. Michael Gamble ain't wrong, I'm sure, in saying this is nothing quite like a 1:1 "Inquisition in Space." But seeing these systems listed, tracking them with the leaks, and not hearing any gloat over more [incoming highly subjective word choice] "meaningful" (ie conversation-based narratively poignant) side content outside of loyalty missions? Yeah, I'm feeling like it'll be something like Inquisition in Space, and I think a lot of folks around here are going to feel burned if so.

This is a very realistic outlook.

Yay for loyalty missions. I hope the rest of those items are so incredibly optional I don't even notice them.

Re: DAI, I think it's not just the comparisons with Inquisition that annoys people. In general a lot of people are tired of the open world trend. Whenever Mass Effect fans heard 'open world' they might have imagined something like Mass Effect 2, but with even more interesting squadmates to meet, waifu/husbandos to woo, and interesting locations to see/save. But you can never scale up something as auteured as Mass Effect 2 to more locations and characters. Scaling up means more templates, more repetitions, more bar filling. Instead of more complex and surprising worlds and characterizations, we get more rote and superficial. In fact, I would argue going semi-open world made DA:I an altogether different type of RPG, a style of RPG that doesn't necessarily speak to the people who like ME2. So whenever we/I see bullet points like these, we fear it's a different kind of game than what we've come to like with Mass Effect.

I'm in day one. I just don't get why Bioware doesn't get this. Or maybe they do, but they're corralled by EA.

And this is very true.

It probably won't be a shitty game, but it might be like Mirror's Edge Catalyst in that it's a game with some really good ideas and a few scattered moments of greatness waiting to break out of its confused mold and become consistently great in a sequel. Catalyst will never have a sequel, but Andromeda might. Let's just hope they don't go the same route they did with ME2 by erasing features wholesale when improvement is an option.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't wait for the gameplay trailer(and I assume, details afterwards) next week so that people finally have an idea about how the game actually look & plays and shut up (or worst case scenario, continue, sigh) about "oh noes, Inquisition in space".

It should also be noted that they said Loyalty Missions will be "more optional" and grant more background knowledge about your squadmate instead of having bigger consequences or influencing the critical path.

Yup, in general the vibe I'm getting from a lot of the pre-release talk almost seems like they're leaning away from any heavy choice/consequence talk. Now maybe that's just so they don't burn people like they kind of did with the talk about that stuff in ME1-3. But relegating things like the Loyalty missions to basically "optional" content doesn't really fill me with confidence that any of the companions will have super compelling backstory or divergent paths to take if they're making companion quests only optional. I guess making them possibly optional wouldn't be a huge shift from past BioWare games, especially if certain companions are optional, but after some of the cost cutting practices of DAI, I'm a bit wary.

Top Bottom