• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
IGN said the switch got disturbingly hot after playing Zelda.

In handheld mode or docked?

EDIT: Apparently, it was in docked mode and not "disturbingly" so. Thanks to the people who clarified.

jmga

Unless Cemu has a way to overclock the virtual CPU (I honestly don't know I haven't looked into it for a while) the frame rate will be the same as the WiiU.

Assuming it even runs at all day one.

CEMU isn't cycle accurate, it's mostly high level emulation.

You can play games at 4K with high-res postprocessing and better shadows right now.

Oregano

I imagine it was built for WiiU.

Jose definitely didn't say it was "disturbingly" hot on NVC. He said it was hot but not like you couldn't touch it.

Yeah, that's an equal comparison as the PS3 was discontinued after 4 years and Sony/SE didn't face much backlash for the constant delays.
Yeah, ok.

sanstesy

Switch version has also quite an aliasing and quite a number of framerate drops. Also both have low res textures. As I said, a nice comparative analysis with direct captures and videos is much better than a translated series of tweets.

Okay, again - he is just saying it's even worse in the Wii U version. And I don't see any mention of texture differences.

Are you okay?

geordiemp

The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is

So this is saying the Switch is bad frame rate.

So I am confused, which version has worse frame rate, Switch or WiiU ?

Some posts are acting like its other way around and WiiU is worse ?

hughesta

Banned
So this is saying the Switch is bad frame rate.

So I am confused, which version has worse frame rate, Switch or WiiU ?

Some posts are acting like its other way around and WiiU is worse ?
Wii U is dramatically worse. Switch has minor issues in the opening areas.

I don't buy that at all.
It would explain why Nintendo kept insisting the game would be ready for 2016 until the April 2016 announcement of its NX release and delay to 2017. I guess it depends on whether or not the Switch was ever planned to release last year.

If the Switch was always planned for a 2017 release and Nintendo was adamant about Zelda releasing in 2016, then I think it would be safe to assume that Zelda was planned to release as a Wii U exclusive until early last year.

Hazu

By the way guys, Gamekult guys are known for being haters. The same editor pretty much said Horizon was a Ubisoft game (in a bad way).

I would wait for other opinions on this matter before making a decision.

well, at least i can keep my switch pre-order then, was really hestitating! Would still be nice if nintendo would let us choose to run the game in 720P on TV mode, like the handled mode... the framerate stability is more important than the resolution for me!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Those require separate patches built for each individual game though.

Those "patches" are actually some text files with settings. Once you saw one you can create for any game if you don't want to download. And those "patches" come with every version by default.

PrimeBeef

The last time we saw gamepad integration was 2014. The game mysteriously resurfaced with all gamepad features dropped, makes me wonder when the Switch version started development and whether the Wii U was the native platform in later stages of development.

Spring of 2016. Aonuma has said this in many interviews already.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This game is going to look and run amazing on the Wii U emulator 4-5 years from now.

Rodin

Strictly talking about the tutorial area :
This should be highlighted because according to previews and edge's review, the plateau is the worst performing area in the game. Frame rate might be better in other areas even on Wii U.

If you're talking about what Otero said in the latest voice chat, he said that it was pretty warm after 5-6 hours straight of docked gameplay, not that it's "disturbingly hot after playing". But yeah, play 6 hours straight on a tablet and it will get warm, shouldn't be surprising.

By the way, multiple people said that since you use the JoyCon to hold it, you don't really feel it considering the heat is more towards the center of the console (which you don't touch).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Those require separate patches built for each individual game though.
Technically true, but they are stupidly simple to make, and anyone can do it. Takes like one minute to bump the game's resolution to anything you want, you just edit a simple text file with some obvious values.

That said, Zelda HD remaster runs pretty bad on Cemu, so I don't have much hope for this either.

PrimeBeef

By the way guys, Gamekult guys are known for being haters. The same editor pretty much said Horizon was a Ubisoft game (in a bad way).

We have. If Edge thought the frame rate drops were enough to hinder game play in either version, neither would have gotten a 10.

bachikarn

And this is exactly why even Nintendo could use PS4+ level power even with a non realistic art style. Clearly, Nintendo's ambition was more than the Wii U and probably the Switch.

bomblord1

Banned
Those "patches" are actually some text files with settings. Once you saw one you can create for any game if you don't want to download. And those "patches" come with every version by default.

Then why has everything I've read say that the emulator doesn't support arbitrary resolutions?
I remember reading a fairly detailed post on how it's impossible to just upscale a game in that emulator and that things had to be done on a per game basis.

If it's just as simple as setting rendering resolution = 1920x1080 in a text file that would invalidate the entire thing.

I always liked the slowdown in Ocarina... made it feel epic.

But more seriously, I am not surprised that there are performance issues on the Wii U version - the game looks extremely ambitious for the hardware. I am still grabbing for the Wii U though, can't justify the price of the Switch for one game (until Xenoblade 2 comes out).

gloone

The framerate on the Wii U version is just fine. It has some problems with blury textures for things more than 20 feet or so away from Link.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm fine with this, I'm not getting a Switch right away, I don't care. And people here are saying the frame rate is alright.

I hope Nintendo cancels the Wii U version, purely out of spite for folks like you.

Nah, complainers gonna complain. I expected this since we guessed it was coming cross-gen when NX was announced in 2015.

Inadequate fan? Could be...

Though it might be fine. You'd be surprised how hot PS4 gets normally, but you wouldn't notice because you don't touch it, whereas you might with Switch.

Derkon

I dunno, Edge seemed to only have issues with the framerate during big weather effects and that they had no issues "when it mattered". The video linked above doesn't seem that bad at all, nothing dramatic to me at least.

Coffinhal

Or known to be tough when they need to be.

Also juding a game in a review is not the same as strickly writing on the technical issues (subjective vs objective).

I would wait for other reports on the matter too, but framerate drops are not an opinion but a fact (even in a post-Truth era)

Technically true, but they are stupidly simple to make, and anyone can do it. Takes like one minute to bump the game's resolution to anything you want, you just edit a simple text file with some obvious values.

That said, Zelda HD remaster runs pretty bad on Cemu, so I don't have much hope for this either.

except they're not, they gave 7/10 for horizon! when you consider their notation system is in no way a bad score

for gamekult a 6/10 game is still a good game worth playing! People call them hater or blasé because they don't score game as high as other websites (for exemple, they never gave a game a 10/10, NEVER, that's just their vision), but once you read the full review, you know immediatly that they're very passionate, but tough

i don't always agree with them of course, but they're not hater regardless

jmga

Then why has everything I've read say that the emulator doesn't support arbitrary resolutions?
I remember reading a fairly detailed post on how it's impossible to just upscale a game in that emulator and that things had to be done on a per game basis.

You don't have a menu like most emulators in which you can select the internal resolution, you only need to know the native resolution of the game and overwrite it in a txt like this:
[TextureRedefine]
width = 1280
height = 720
overwriteWidth = 3840
overwriteHeight = 2160

That should work for any game rendering at 720p, you can select the target resolution you want, you can also render below the native resolution.

Top Bottom