• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

TLZ

Banned
It's a technical feat it even runs on Wii U. From the footage I've seen people aren't missing out on much if they don't fork out for a Switch just to play Zelda. Wii U version may not be the definitive version but it looks pretty impressive.

Yea I'll be playing it soon on my Wii u and will see how it fairs.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
IGN said that they had to go to the hospital with 3rd degree burns after using the Switch for 10 minutes.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Are the color differences in these shots due to the resolution?

There's a multitude of reasons from the time of day to the quality of the encode to my pictures only being 720p. I only did it as no one else has shown any comparisons. I'm sure someone will do a better job of it :p

Considering what Nintendo have said I think the differences between the Wii U version and the docked Switch version will be resolution, draw distance and framerate. I think most of the assets will be identical.

okay that is truly unfortunate

note that they first marketed this as a WiiU game

and is the WiiU's first official Zelda (I am sorry a remastered isn't a new game)

I had hoped it would at least not be too bad

who knows maybe the footage will try and convince me other wise

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Looks like different lighting. Is that the case or is it because of timing differences / because you're looking at the sky in the Switch version? Also, seeing both, is there much less shimmering in the Switch version? I feel that's probably the worst effect I saw in the Wii U video but am trying to avoid seeing as much content as possible.

[edit] Nevermind, for some reason I thought you actually had access to the games yourself instead of just seeing video. But can you or anyone who's seen much video of both answer those?

I think the lighting is the same across both versions of the game. In the screen grab I took it looks like the foliage could be more detailed (better shaders) on the Switch version but it could just be the time of day and the way the light is hitting the bushes because of the way the camera is positioned. It's very hard to tell from Youtube videos because of the low bitrate. I mostly done it just for fun as no one had posted comparison shots yet.

Hopefully Digital Foundry have a video comparing both available before launch. If Richard or dark10x need my pro comparison expertise I'm available for the low rate of $1000 per hour!

renzolama

The way Nintendo has managed to shift this public narrative from "We never gave you the console exclusive Zelda game you bought a Wii U for originally" to "Look at how lucky you are that you got this Switch game on Wii U" is impressive. All of the technical wizardry claims for "getting it to run on the Wii U" are icing on the cake. Crankiness aside, I've never considered Zelda games as having great performance anyway so the video differences don't bother me much...I assume I'll get used to the variable framerate after a few minutes and ignore it.

I mean I just watched a guy play around on a copy and it didn't have any of these issues so

Gamekult is basically hyperbolic gaf posts + the sensationalism of Polygon but in french, don't worry about it

So what you're saying is:

Wii U performance = Ocarina of Time.

Switch performance = Ocarina of Time 3D.

Plain wrong, PAL and NTSC OOT would be a better comparison and even then the differences probably wouldn't be as big as that

I think the lighting is the same across both versions of the game. In the screen grab I took it looks like the foliage could be more detailed (better shaders) on the Switch version but it could just be the time of day and the way the light is hitting the bushes because of the way the camera is positioned. It's very hard to tell from Youtube videos because of the low bitrate. I mostly done it just for fun as no one had posted comparison shots yet.

Thanks - if the shimmering is in both versions, then I'll probably stick with the Wii U. For the foliage, I wonder if just the resolution bump makes the difference.

shounenka

Watch the actual footage. The initial post almost compelled me to cancel my Wii U version and reserve the Switch one. Glad I didn't bother.

Besides, with Mario Maker still in heavy rotation, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta unfinished and Bayonetta 2 still untouched, my Wii U needs another 6 or so months of luv. (Not to mention the fact that I don't feel like rebuying a Pro Controller)

Switch can wait till the Splatoon 2 test fire before i take it out the box.

Makes me wonder how it would have turned out if they weren't forced to develop it for two platforms instead of one. It must have had some effect, even if they can't admit as much. At the very least we'd have been playing it since 2016 and maybe have some actual gamepad features :(

Still, it actually looks pretty decent judging from the videos. I'm sure the Switch will have an advantage, but it's hardly a generational gap we're talking here.

renzolama

I'm only partially joking when I say that it looks comparable to about half of the open world games released on PC over the past couple years running on top tier hardware. Those big frustrum swing framerate drops are pretty common in open world games, though at least on PC the hardware tends to cache the assets to cut down on it over the course of a session.

Seriously Nintendo?

Do people have to come out of the woodwork to make drivebys like this for every Nintendo thread now?

It's like was already said: ps3/ps4 cross gen games were ugly too.

Somehow there weren't people in every ps4 game thread complaining about how the ps3 versions of advanced warfare, shadow of Mordor, black ops 3, and and mgs5 don't run or look very good.

Kuro

By the way guys, Gamekult guys are known for being haters. The same editor pretty much said Horizon was a Ubisoft game (in a bad way).

I would wait for other opinions on this matter before making a decision.

Yeah he sounds like he's full of shit after seeing leaked Wii U gameplay. The game looks almost the same as Switch minus lower res and the framerate looked only slightly worse than some of the same drops Switch was getting.

RPGCrazied

Rewatching that video on my TV instead of my PC monitor looks a tad better. Just hope the fps can keep up throughout the game.

dose

In french here.

Rough translation courtesy of Coffinhal:

Strictly talking about the tutorial area :
Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops
Visual issues with cutscenes and when getting out of the inventory
Too many actions (using a power+rotating the camera = "framerate death")
5 sec loading time when you get back to the Home menu
He installed every patch available
The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is
Which is which? So the WiiU version has these issues I imagine?
Edit: I see it is, but the OP makes no mention of this.

Koobion

I'm just happy it's on the system at all. Hopefully nothing was compromised from a content standpoint, for hardware reasons.

Top Bottom