• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameloft's shameless ripoffs - how do they get away with this? [Impressions Thread]

Kuran

Banned
DoctorWho said:

Thats the problem, there will always be people who don't care if this crap has no soul or originality.. they just want to pretend to play StarCraft on their iPhone's.

Dabanton

Kuran said:
Thats the problem, there will always be people who don't care if this crap has no soul or originality.. they just want to pretend to play StarCraft on their iPhone's.

Seriously who is it hurting?

Kuran said:

It's better than no StarCraft on iPhone at all. I'll take what I can get.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kuran said:

Well, it's not really a problem, more like an opportunity. There's a sizable iOS market that wants to play games. Some companies realize this, and others ignore it.

NeonZ said:
Huh... it sounds like they haven't changed at all then, just lost the licenses.
No, they have. SC and PoP were 2d platformers and R6 was like a real time X-Com. They were games that didn't clearly rip off their design from anything else on the market and had their own gameplay concepts that captured the essences of those series perfectly in an entirely different genre. Not the same at all as their current direction.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd kill for that Final Fantasy game clone on PSN.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
You have to give them some props for what they've done. People are constantly complaining for a game that they like to be ported but never happens - i.e. Starcraft, Pokemon, Uncharted, Halo, etc. They shamelessly cloned these games and brought them onto the most unlikely of platforms that probably would normally never see games like these.

While part of me looks at these games and laughs at how ridiculous they are, another part of me is happy that there is a Diablo equivalent on the iPhone and very much wants to play a Pokemon clone since I no longer own a DS.

Mako_Drug

IPoopStandingUp said:
You have to give them some props for what they've done. People are constantly complaining for a game that they like to be ported but never happens - i.e. Starcraft, Pokemon, Uncharted, Halo, etc. They shamelessly cloned these games and brought them onto the most unlikely of platforms that probably would normally never see games like these.

While part of me looks at these games and laughs at how ridiculous they are, another part of me is happy that there is a Diablo equivalent on the iPhone and very much wants to play a Pokemon clone since I no longer own a DS.

I agree however they completely lack the creativity to make an interesting rip off. The Starcraft one looks like a bad version of the original as does the pokemon etc etc. You can tell just from the lame ass names that they put as little thought into it as humanly possible.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Mako_Drug said:
I agree however they completely lack the creativity to make an interesting rip off. The Starcraft one looks like a bad version of the original as does the pokemon etc etc. You can tell just from the lame ass names that they put as little thought into it as humanly possible.
"Starfront" is such an absolutely hilarious name.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
you know what this is? Gameloft isn't ripping anything off - its a beautifully crafted satire on consumerism and the intellectual vacuum of modern gaming.

'The Consortium' in StarFront isn't a generic take on space marines. Its an indictment of the banality of modern game design, clearly illustrating how original games these days are themselves generic rehashes of what has come before. And simulatenously a social commentary on how commoditised entertainment media has become.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yup, count me in the "Gameloft doing no wrong, just good business" camp. I do admit they're sorta trolling bigger companies, but that's part of their charm I guess, haha.

dankir

I have some friends who worked at Gameloft Montreal. They had a really big book which specifics exactly how much they actually have to modify art assets, character models etc until they are safe from being sued.

They're slick I'll tell you that much. But yeah they literally take the real game assets and just change them enough so their asses are safe.

CozMick said:
"Rip offs" on a platform that doesn't include the original is fine by me.
I do enjoy Gameloft games, but they're like the kid who cheated off of everyone else in school who now has grown up to become a CEO of a huge company. Potential to become someone who has power to call shots, create trends and shape the industry. Why would he change and what could they do to the industry, good and bad?

Unlike the ripoff movie companies, Gameloft has the power to be taken seriously in the industry mainstream and they are good at what they do. They are already on consoles, phones and even invading the indie game scene. To me, for them to make an indie game is even more shady. It's like a snake that leaves it's prey after it kills. There is nothing to be gained but blocking someone else's success and (in the snake's case) just plain evil.

GeoramA

Signed up for PS+ today and I downloaded the Hero of Sparta mini. Obvious GoW ripoff, but I'm actually having fun with it.

dream

I wonder how they'd react if someone ripped off, say, Rainbow Six or a non-side scrolling Assassin's Creed.

I know this is kind of an old thread, and maybe this has been mentioned, but remember when everyone hated PopCap a few years ago because they "shamelessly stole" ideas? Now they're a darling because they happened to do a hell of a job on those games and came up with a few of their own.

I'll be waiting patiently for this to happen to Gameloft.

I just looking forward to see what games they rip-off next. At least they saw an oppurtunity to make console-centric games avaiable on mobile platforms. Maybe publishers can get off of their butts and do likewise.

I do wonder if EA didn't bring Dead Space to the Ipad, if Gameloft would have copied it.

thehillissilent said:
I just looking forward to see what games they rip-off next. At least they saw an oppurtunity to make console-centric games avaiable on mobile platforms. Maybe publishers can get off of their butts and do likewise.

I do wonder if EA didn't bring Dead Space to the Ipad, if Gameloft would have copied it.
Oh, without a doubt.

Probably the sole reason EA did it.

It would have been called Dead Orbit and the main character would have been a space janitor.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This thread is a fucking roller-coaster

First the shameless > then ugh it sickens me crowd > the lol's > the defense force > Gameloft is OK > Good Business > Day 1/Will Kill for said knock-off

Anything that becomes popular gets a knock-off/imitation

Movies (Go to Netflix, see how many B/C/D-List movies available to see, not all 10,00+ movies Netflix brags about are AAA movies from Hollywood)
Shows (Same thing as movies)
Candy (There's the pricey, and then the cheap, sometime the cheap, get more cheaper from imitation @_@)
Perfumes (Go to any 99 cents/Dollar store)
Food (Originators, then the food becomes commercial)
Game Systems
Hand-Held Game Systems....etc.
Now games are the next logical step

If there's money to be made, and if the original don't want to do it, someone else will surely come in and take their place

Not Gameloft's fault, they fill a need. EA always going on about looking for avenues for revenue, 1 is staring them in the face, but they think it's below them. While others are just making money and and bankrolling off it.

I want to see a Mass Effect knock-off
Maybe a DMC clone...oh wait Capcom already has started working on that one with NT, DmC

Minsc

Gold Member
Dark Octave said:
Oh, without a doubt.

Probably the sole reason EA did it.

It would have been called Dead Orbit and the main character would have been a space janitor.

181426-rwilco1_large.gif

Only if he looks like that.

After playing and completing Nova on my phone I'm very happy they made it. For $7 I got a mobile version of Halo with very high production values and a multiplayer component. The effort involved in making a game like this is substantial. I appreciate how similar yet how different the armour, enemies, and weapons are. Obvious steals like the brutes, hand gun, holographic AI, and some levels are embarrassing though.

I'm in the middle of playing Nova 2 and it is pretty interesting how it has become less like Halo and more like it's own game. The talent at the studio to produce games like these with all the visual design is impressive. I'd rather see them make something a little more unique or original as they obviously have the ability to do so.

It is a tough thing making a sci fi game that isn't a rip off. Halo and Killzone both are rip offs of various source material. Halo rips Aliens substantially. The Killzone armor is a big rip off as well. We give passes to those games as they were big title releases that took formulas and gave them more identity. Also, stealing from movies to make games seems better than stealing from games to make games.

That Starcraft rip looks pretty great and the Warhammer Starcraft thing is well worn territory. I think I would be less irritated by it if it was called Planetary Assault or something and the human army looked more like regular soldiers. Actually, if they really wanted irony and build their own brand they would gave made Nova Wars instead :)

They get away with it cause people buy them and there's very little competition on iphone that can rival their game quality. Whatever that means. I used to work for them and yes, originality is not their strong suit.

Opiate

This is almost the definition of an under-served market. The larger scale publishers are ignoring customers' needs by not putting their major games on the iOS platform, so someone is essentially capitalizing on their missed opportunity and doing it for them. In proxy form, of course.

Let me put it another way: if all the original games were on the iOS for a competitive price, they would destroy GameLoft in a heartbeat. If Halo iOS, Starcrat iOS, Soul Calibur iOS, etc. were all ported over and made as fully functional, competent products, their brand recognition alone would demolish these GameLoft alikes just like they do on consoles.

All publishers would have to do is compete at all. But they are not willing or able to do so, so GameLoft's knockoff products win by default.

I see no problem here.

wwm0nkey said:
Yes but this is just shameless, like they are not even trying to hide it at all.
So? I'll let Capcom, Sony, square, and the rest of the developers worry about that. I'm a consumer, not a content holder cheerleader. My only goal is to get the best content for the cheapest price. If all of these developers want to cash in, make them make an iPhone/Andoid game and let gameloft die a slow death.

Afrikan

its crazy how they can release so many different types of games... I know they are just copying the concepts and all, but how do they do it with so many genre of games.

do they have talent people who are diverse, or do they outsource most of the work?

Opiate

Let's use a retail example so you can see my point. Let's imagine that, I don't know, most major TV manufacturers decided not to ship their TVs to Wal Mart. Wal Mart, like iOS, is explosively popular.

The result of this would be that small startup TV manufacturing companies would spring up, because Wal Mart is a huge seller of new TVs and this would leave a massive untapped market for new guys to exploit.

If these new companies were forced to compete head on with Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/etc., they'd likely be crushed immediately, but in our scenario these major manufacturers have decided to leave a gaping hole in the competitive market for new entrants to rush through. Even if the new firms' products are completely lacking in any innovation and are, essentially, mediocre Sony ripoffs, the sheer fact that they have Wal Mart to themselves would foster rapid growth.

And that's the situation with GameLoft. Don't want them to rip off your products? Bring a competent, price competitive version of your AAA franchise to iOS, and it will crush the rip off versions. Problem solved.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Opiate said:
This is almost the definition of an underserved market. The big publishers aren't serving customers well enough by putting their games on the iOS platform: so someone is essentially capitalizing on their missed opportunity.

Let me put it another way: if all the original games were on the iOS for a competitive price, they would destroy GameLoft in a heartbeat. All publishers would have to do is compete. But they are not willing or able to do so, so Game Loft wins by default.

I see no problem here.
The problem I see is that it is likely to put off original publishers/developers as well as for developers of original content in the genres. An original FPS on iOS has to compete with Nova while having to put much more effort into developing original game design, art design etc. This is a much bigger problem on the app store due to its nature.
I look forward to the release of Hova 3, a knock-off of the knock-off.

Minsc

Gold Member
poppabk said:
The problem I see is that it is likely to put off original publishers/developers as well as for developers of original content in the genres. An original FPS on iOS has to compete with Nova while having to put much more effort into developing original game design, art design etc. This is a much bigger problem on the app store due to its nature.
I look forward to the release of Hova 3, a knock-off of the knock-off.

What if because of Nova, there's an audience of 1.5 million FPS people on iOS, instead of 300,000 before. Say Nova brought 1.2 million people to enjoy FPS on the iOS devices. Sure the numbers are totally off, but point being, now, because of Nova, you have 1.5 million people looking to buy FPS on iOS instead of 300,000, before Nova came out. Maybe they want Nova 2 instead of your FPS, but if your FPS is as good as Nova was, then a decent number should be interested in trying it out.

Donos

How long are the FF ripoff and the Zelda one ? Anyone tried them ?

Also the (technical) execution of the ripoffs is always really good for smartphones.
Why don't the "real" developers/publishers release their games for iOs/Android ? The low price ? Or do they fear for their brand name ?
I agree with opiate. A Starcraft on iOs would sell tons more than Starfront. But there isn't one. Also there aren't many "good" RTS for iOs. Same with Shooters.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Minsc said:
What if because of Nova, there's an audience of 1.5 million FPS people on iOS, instead of 300,000 before. Say Nova brought 1.2 million people to enjoy FPS on the iOS devices. Sure the numbers are totally off, but point being, now, because of Nova, you have 1.5 million people looking to buy FPS on iOS instead of 300,000, before Nova came out. Maybe they want Nova 2 instead of your FPS, but if your FPS is as good as Nova was, then a decent number should be interested in trying it out.
But you aren't competing with Nova you are competing with Halo. Your new FPS has to gain mindshare in a small window of opportunity, and its competing against a game that is very similar to one of the premier names in the genre. Their game looks like Halo, your game looks like your game, guess which one is going to get get lost in the shuffle on the app store.

Takao

Banned
Ushojax said:
There's actually some good monster designs in there. For $5 I think it looks pretty good.

I own it. It is pretty bad. The movement of the character feels like someone mapped a d-pad to an analog stick, just that you're using an actual d-pad...

FoneBone

Donos said:
Why don't the "real" developers/publishers release their games for iOs/Android ? The low price ? Or do they fear for their brand name ?
For the 500th time, I just don't think the money justifies it for the AAA studios. They don't want to outsource their brands, and don't want to invest in creating their own iOS team. And of course there's the tech bias that adversely affects Western studios' attitudes towards handhelds in general.

Desi

Ninja Scooter said:
I dont' see anything wrong with it. They are basically the "Shasta" of videogames

mountain-rush.jpg

Pretty much any popular product is going to have it's shameless imitators. (have you ever been in a 99-Cent store? That's pretty much all they sell) It's like generic off- brand videogames.
just came in to say. Shasta is one of my favorite soda brands. There orange, pineapple, and strawberry kiwi flavors are on point.

Dabanton said:
also lol at the Youtube video comments.

Are those Epic Games staff members asking for them to use a new engine? Gameloft is not going to pay licensing fees to Epic for everyone of their titles. I'm surprised Nova 2 runs so well on my old 3G!

bengraven

Sean said:
Gangstar: Miami Vindication for iPad (aka GTA Vice City)
mzl.jricgetc.480x480-75.jpg

Modern Combat (aka CoD Modern Warfare)
mzl.crmjylnz.320x480-75.jpg

Okay.

These are both blatant rip offs of game maps, down to geometry.

The road that you start GTA: VC on, where the first hotel is.

And that's a map from the 360 version of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat.

Top Bottom