• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamePro PLAIGARIZES IGN's review of Water Warfare (Wii)

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/999/999933p1.html
Daemon Hatfield said:
On tap in this super soaker is a robust feature set including both single- and multiplayer modes. There is plenty to do here, even if you plan to wage war by yourself. The 40 single-player missions offer a variety of objectives and boss battles. If you just want to skirmish you can play against up to seven bots with three difficulty levels. As for multiplayer, two players can go at it in split screen or you can play with a total of eight via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Online, you can play against just your friends, play a friendly game against random strangers, or participate in a ranked match. While waiting in a lobby there is a handful of messages to send to your opponents/team mates. The four maps each come in a large and small variation.

You'll find all the usual FPS weapons here (pistols, machine guns, shotguns, rocket launchers…), but loaded with agua instead of bullets. Scattered around each map are also fun items like a raincoat that makes you temporarily water resistant and a towel to dry yourself off.

http://gparcade.blogfaction.com/article/109005/wiiware-review-water-warfare/
Andrew Ramsey said:
Featuring over 40 single player missions for you to get soaked in, Water Warfare offers up a lot of content. In the single player missions you will have a variety of objective and boss battles. If you just want to skirmish you can play against up to seven bots with three difficulty levels. Two players can go at it in split screen or you can play with a total of eight via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. You can play with strangers or just play a good old fashioned rank match on one of the 4 maps made. Team games include Battle Royale where the last person standing wins, Death Match is the standard FPS free-for-all, but should be called Wet Match, first player to 10 knockouts wins. Treasure Chest you have to find the opposing team's chest and bring it back to your base. In assault you capture the flag, which I figured would be called capture the flag. Base you take control of bases and score 100 points to win. Finally in point rally you need to put your gun away and race through checkpoints.

Weapon wise you’re given the standard array of weapons, pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and rocket launchers all filled with lovely H2O. The weapons control ok but feel like squirt guns that have no kick to them. Also perks are scattered throughout the map like a raincoat that makes you temporarily water resistant and a towel to dry yourself off.

Shows off the level of professionalism in videogame "journalism" (lol)

UPDATE - http://gparcade.blogfaction.com/article/109120/review-similiarities-explanation/

Crap imitating Crap, everyone goes home unscathed.

Also, do you think that maybe when two publications are just listing features, they might both simply be pulling from a press release?

Jetku

are we sure that they both didn't just reword some portions of the fact sheet included with the review copy..?

ultron87

At first I thought you were just making a comment about the sameness of a lot of game reviews.

Then I noticed that exact sentences were copied in places. Tsk tsk tsk.

Crisis

Banned
Guys that is almost certainly from a PR fact sheet they put with the game. They list things like "This game has 40 weapons and 11 levels" in bullet points so that the reviewer can stress that in whatever review they write and in the preview. So both companies probably plagiarized the PR sheet. :lol

JDSN

Banned
Jetku said:
are we sure that they both didn't just reword some portions of the fact sheet included with the review copy..?

Thats it, i mean, isnt that how people does E3 impressions and reviews?

Firestorm

Or they both wrote off the same press release. Yay video game reviews on IGN and GamePro.

Edit That is not gamepro. That's a user blog.
Do some research before making these types of topics.

Ulairi

Banned
it's not word for word, it's just bad copy. And there is no such thing as games journalism, they are critics not journalists.

elohel

badrockjones said:
More like LAMEPRO amirite?

yeah sorry, that joke is terrible

soooorite

does gamepro still use those warheads look-a-like review graphics?

and yeah how are they still around? lol

Firestorm said:
Or they both wrote off the same press release. Yay video game reviews on IGN and GamePro.

Edit That is not gamepro. That's a user blog.
Do some research before making these types of topics.
Andrew Ramsey is a writer for Game Pro Arcade.

I guess that's a good point that they both plagiarized (thanks Machine) the press release, maybe a mod could change the title?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Everyone should just go to whattheyplay for reviews of these kinds of games anyway. John Davidson loves these things and has a deeper appreciation of them than these hardlycore "journalists."

Firestorm

nincompoop said:
Andrew Ramsey is a writer for Game Pro Arcade.

I guess that's a good point that they both plagiarized (thanks Machine) the press release, maybe a mod could change the title?
GamePro Arcade is a blog site hosted on GamePro. This is not a paid game reviewer.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I immediately thought of the PR sheet when I read both reviews. They tell you nothing at all about how the game plays. No one can be bothered to play it.

Except, Scrubking. He says this game is awesome.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
057-03.gif

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Pretty much this. You've simply pointed out two lazy reviews, not one.
Is this confirmed? We have about half the thread claiming this, with nobody pointing to any source material. I just did a Google search on several of the identical phrases and they ONLY occurred on IGN and GamePro, with one other site that simply pasted one of the reviews in its entirety. I see no reason to believe either was taken from a press release. The quotes don't even read like fact sheet quotes.

It seems weird that people are chiding the OP on this without producing any evidence of their own. Maybe there was some Hudson release that never got posted on any site on the entire internet and was just sent directly to the press (but wasn't sent to, for example, me), and if so, someone should actually produce it.

LiK

Chris Remo said:
Is this confirmed? We have about half the thread claiming this, with nobody pointing to any source material. I just did a Google search on several of the identical phrases and they ONLY occurred on IGN and GamePro, with one other site that simply pasted one of the reviews in its entirety.

It seems weird that people are chiding the OP on this without producing any evidence of their own.

i simply pointed out that copying the PR was a possibility. everyone else is taking it as fact. ;)

Firestorm said:
GamePro Arcade is a blog site hosted on GamePro. This is not a paid game reviewer.
It just uses a blog format, as far as I can tell the writers are still employed by GamePro. It's not as if anybody can start a blog there and write a review to be published on GamePro's website.

LiK said:
i simply pointed out that copying the PR was a possibility. everyone else is taking it as fact. ;)
I'm not criticizing you in particular, I just think it's odd that it has morphed from being a possibility to being an assumption, without anyone bothering to look it up, which takes two seconds on the internet.

jarosh

Chris Remo said:
Is this confirmed? We have about half the thread claiming this, with nobody pointing to any source material. I just did a Google search on several of the identical phrases and they ONLY occurred on IGN and GamePro, with one other site that simply pasted one of the reviews in its entirety. I see no reason to believe either was taken from a press release. The quotes don't even read like fact sheet quotes.

It seems weird that people are chiding the OP on this without producing any evidence of their own. Maybe there was some Hudson release that never got posted on any site on the entire internet and was just sent directly to the press (but wasn't sent to, for example, me), and if so, someone should actually produce it.
here's the actual press release: http://wii.ign.com/articles/965/965231p1.html

yep, the phrases from the reviews are nowhere to be found

LiK

Chris Remo said:
I'm not criticizing you in particular, I just think it's odd that it has morphed from being a possibility to being an assumption, without anyone bothering to look it up, which takes two seconds on the internet.

ah yes, the internet...

jarosh said:
here's the actual press release: http://wii.ign.com/articles/965/965231p1.html

yep, the phrases from the reviews are nowhere to be found

well, there it is. time to crack that whip, IGN.

Chris Remo said:
this is a topic pretty near and dear to my heart as i've been plagiarized back in the day (and decided it was something to advertise), but frankly, i'm not content to even rule out coincidence here. you're talking half a sentence in each paragraph.

there's a LOT of original content for something supposedly plagiarized.

BTW, the source I originally saw this posted on claims that both reviews' description of one of the online modes is inaccurate, as is the number of missions listed. So that makes it less likely that they copied from a P.R.

jarosh

plagiarize said:
this is a topic pretty near and dear to my heart as i've been plagiarized back in the day (and decided it was something to advertise), but frankly, i'm not content to even rule out coincidence here. you're talking half a sentence in each paragraph.

eh, this seems like one hell of a coincidence.

ftk6l4.gif

black stuff is identical. how likely is it that someone would word these sentences almost EXACTLY the same, talking about the same game, within a matter of days?

maybe there's some secret pr fact sheet that was handed out to reviewers that we don't know about, but otherwise i think the case is pretty clear.

plagiarize said:

The chances of these sentences showing up in identical form without plagiarism involved is, essentially, zero:

If you just want to skirmish you can play against up to seven bots with three difficulty levels.
Two players can go at it in split screen or you can play with a total of eight via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
There is absolutely no chance those were independently written. Each of those collections of words appears in both reviews verbatim.

This sentence is nearly identical; the majority of it is word for word:
Scattered around each map are also fun items like a raincoat that makes you temporarily water resistant and a towel to dry yourself off.
vs.
Also perks are scattered throughout the map like a raincoat that makes you temporarily water resistant and a towel to dry yourself off.

Yeah, it does look like he plagiarised Hatfield's review. I don't think this guy is a professional reviewer though.

This looks to be his blog: http://gparcade.blogfaction.com/profile/evildeathsyth/

I now have been writing about games since I was about 8 or 9 years old. It of course started on message boards then moved onto blogs and now it has moved onto websites that I myself have made as well as other sites. I am an aspiring gaming journalist, who is trying to get his name out there to the public. I will do my best to serve fans of gaming all the info that they need to fuel the addiction that I myself am guilty of having!

I don't think he's really writing directly for GamePro.

JSnake

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Yeah, it does look like he plagiarised Hatfield's review. I don't think this guy is a professional reviewer though.

This looks to be his blog: http://gparcade.blogfaction.com/profile/evildeathsyth/

I don't think he's really writing directly for GamePro.

"I will do my best to serve fans of gaming all the info that they need to fuel the addiction that I myself am guilty of having!"

Yeah good luck to him if he constructs sentences like that one on a regular basis.

Top Bottom