• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Don't Finish Games - Raptr 360 Completion Stats

shintoki said:
I'm not seeing any 40 hour epics people keep talking about up there. The majority would be around 10 hours, quite a few look to be around 4-6 hours. And only few would pass 20.

Even with how "Busy" most people like to make their life out to be. You should still be able to get through a title every 2 weeks or so.

The average person is not going to beat Mass Effect 1/2, Fallout 3/NV, Assassin's Creed 1/2, GTA 4, or RDR in less than 20 hours, nor would they beat any of the shooters up their in less than 10. On top of that, any game with multi is going to more popular online than off (based on player counts), so the SP is often put on hold for weeks at a time while they spend dozens of hours on the multiplayer.

Kusagari said:
I'm honestly shocked at the CoD numbers. Especially that it's higher than Halo and Gears.

Is there a CoD equivalent to being stuck in room with 4 Theron Guards or 6 Elites with nothing but a pistol, 2 grenades, and half a clip of rifle ammo? I can think of tons of places in games that I've beaten that I've had to restart at a checkpoint 20+ times; I don't think most "normal" people have that kind of patience.

I just cant do that. It would bother me that I didnt know the end or what new skills could come into play. The only game I never finished was The Force Unleashed because I hated the controls, a lot.

John said:
these numbers are a lot higher than i'd expect tbh

People who have done studies on this using broader achievement data have generally come away with much lower rates. These are elevated due to self-selection.

Drkirby said:
But this one suggests the whole thing may just be bugged:

Good catch. That Vesperia list makes no sense.

shintoki said:
I'm not seeing any 40 hour epics people keep talking about up there.

Fallout 3 is definitely a 40+ hour game, but otherwise you're right; I can't think of anything else on that list that would go much over 20 in a normal playthrough.

Gowans

The Faceless Master said:
it's not exactly a series known for it's single player... i mean, i only finished the first BC's single player almost 2 years after i first got the game.
Yeah thats why I'd expect Bad Company's stats to be so low.
Thought it would be similar for CoD like Super Mackem said but then again that never had the same multi only roots.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've finished every game on that list that I've played. I obviously am either Dr. Videogames, or everyone else has a terrible attention span.

RustyO

I'm both:

a) Not surprised
b) Surprised the numbers are so high. (Makes sense given the source though)

Out of that list, I own 17
(well, 16, got rid of RE5 soon as I finished it :lol )
and have manged to finish 6 of them.

For me personally, I think part of the reasons are limited time / I get a bit bored easily enough / I hate long intros/tutorials (no patience to spend two hours learning how to play), and get bored of repetitive game mechanics / repetition / fetch quests / backtracking etc

Alan Wake : I'm a writer!

Assassins Creed : Check, but it was quite a chore.

Assassins Creed 2 : Got to the second city... got bored I think?

Braid : Forgot where I got up to... world 3? And I own three copies...

Castle Crashers : Check

CoD4 Modern Warfare : Got bored about some point where you need to protect a tank... I'm not a big FPSer

Dead Rising : Finished it multiple times with different endings.

Dead Space : Got to the greenhouse bit? Got bored, stopped playing it and never restarted...

Fallout 3 : I go through phases of this, currently wandering around aimlessly clearing the wasteland and finding bobbleheads. I'm also a little bit overpowered as I was trying to avoid the main questline as I heard it finished at the end, but GotY fixed that, but, I don't know.

Gears of War : Got to last level with one flatmate, went out to see a girl, came back to find other flatmate had taken over my game and they had both finished it.

Gears of War 2 : Haven't even started it.

Grand Theft Auto IV : Probably less then an hour all up since day one purchase?

Mass Effect : Have barely even started on this.

Mass Effect 2 : Haven't even started it.

Red Dead Redemption : Cruising around the north somewhere, met the writer and got bored...

Resident Evil 5 : Unfortunately, yes.

Shadow Complex : Check

spons

Gold Member
I'm stuck at the end of Final Fantasy 13 which suddenly got hard as nails after 40 hours of linear auto battle. Might just watch the ending on youtube.

Pooya

Degen said:
http://raptr.com/game/PS3/Final_Fantasy_13/achievements
http://raptr.com/game/360/Final_Fantasy_XIII/achievements

360 owners are lazy.

I mean look at that. PS3 owners are so awesome that they didn't even all have to start chapter 12 (instrument of faith) to beat chapter 13 (instrument of change). Pure dedication.

On 360, 40% got the loremaster (Discerned the full attributes of 100 enemies. ) but only ~14% have finished the first chapter, it's impossible. These stats are worthless.
Also more people have the limit breaker achievement than those who have beaten the first chapter.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
miladesn said:

On 360, 40% got the loremaster (Discerned the full attributes of 100 enemies. ) but only ~14% have finished the first chapter, it's impossible. These stats are worthless.
Also more people have the limit breaker achievement than those who have beaten the first chapter.
Clearly it means, PS3 owners are just more weeaboo animu fans who kept telling themselves It gets better.

It never got better *Cries*

charlequin said:
Fallout 3 is definitely a 40+ hour game, but otherwise you're right; I can't think of anything else on that list that would go much over 20 in a normal playthrough.
If your just looking to beat the title, Even 40 hour could be high balling it. Outside of GTAIV and F3, mostly everything else is looking be under 20 hours with the normal play through. That isn't including all off missions or collect-a-thons, which most people do seem to ignore going by the same info from the site.

I just don't particularly understand the excuse of not having enough time to play these long epics, when really most of them are far from it. You can average an 30-45 minutes a day, and complete most in 2-3 weeks

Anything above a 20% completion rate is great, so I'm amazed some of the games are over 50%, that is really incredible. The large majority of people do not finish games and these stats tell you, especially Red Dead Redemption, that we need shorter games, we really do. Which is why Call of Duty is great.

Otacon

wow
i am honestly shocked at the replies in this thread
i would have never thought how many gaffers are not finishing their games
seems most are more collectors who simply buy the games and just take a quick look than passionate gamers who enjoy the work that has been put into this "product", the gameplay, story and most importantly FUN it brings
guys, do not buy so many games, if you actually do not play them! 0:)
for me, not finishing a game is like the maximum punishment i can give it
and i actually feel bad in the rare cases i do NOT finish one of my games
regardless how "bad" they are
the percentage of my misses is pretty low, but even most of my "miss-purchases" are getting played until i see the credits roll (RE5, Fable III, RDR, Bayonetta - the last 2 were not bad but just not up to my expectations and i had to force myself to finish them)
even the absolute worst games that just not click with me get a second or even third chance after a few weeks or even months
only after several tries of convincing myself that i truly cannot and will never finish this game i am done with it forever (Madworld, ZOE2, Red Faction: Guerrila)
on top of my head i finished all my ps3 (disc) games - which should be like 15 (?)
from the 60 360 games i own, the only ones that i have to finished are actually games that have no ending (geometry wars) or are fucking hard and my skill is not enough to advance (splosion man, meat boy, trials) - but i still play them regularly
what i do not really understand how these low finish percentages match with the achievement whorism that many players seem to be infected with
most of my friends play their games until 1000G
i never bothered with achievements at all but yes, i see it as the final goal to finish my games
seeing the many posts in the goty thread makes me optimistic that i am actually not in the minority

edit: my personal reason for completing all my games might be due to the fact that i do not play online multiplayer at all...

acm2000

of those, ive done:

CoD:MW2
ME2
CoD:MW
GoW2
AC2
H3
H:R
GoW
ME
H:ODST
FO3
AC
DS
DiRT2
AW
GTA4
BF:BC2
Splosion Man
Trials HD
BF:BC
RDR

i try to finish every game i get, otherwise whats the point in getting them in the first place, and i usually only have one game at a time, so focus on that solely.

AniHawk

I've never gotten a platinum trophy or 1000 achievement points on any game, but I've seen most of them to the end.

Gowans007 said:
I showed the stat % for the achievement gained for completing the main story/final story objective in the games.

Dead Rising
Survive 72hours - 26.18%

Completing 72 hour mode in DR is not the main story / final story objective.

It's the 'gamble your 360 RRODing' achievement.

I'm surprised it's that high.

human5892 said:
I'm honestly surprised by this. One of my biggest reasons for playing games is to reach the 'end'. I assumed most others were the same way.
I generally play games to have fun, if they aren't fun or at some stop being fun I stop playing them. I used to always play to the end as a kid but I think that was more a rationalization for why I was playing a terrible game that also happened to be one of only 2 I'd get that year.

Well anyways, I've played the following:

CoD4 Modern Warfare, Halo 3, Resident Evil 5, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Dead Rising

I have beaten the following:

I got at least got 5 hours into the following (in SP):

Fallout3

Well people just putting the disc in and getting some achievements on a profile doesn't always mean that they bought it. Could have rented, borrowed, bought and returned it and hated it or something.

yes these are AAA games but lots of people hate things for a lot of stupid reasons.

RustyO

MrNyarlathotep said:
Completing 72 hour mode in DR is not the main story / final story objective.

It's the 'gamble your 360 RRODing' achievement.

I'm surprised it's that high.

72 Hour mode is the basic ending in Dead Rising, i.e. survive for three days one way or the other.

Really, the final story objective is
overtime mode

Your thinking of the 7 Day survivor mode, thats the RROD material and why I've never got round to finding a spare 14 hours to do it in.... :lol

Stink

I play a lot of games that I don't finish because I like to try everything but rarely feel that a game is worth persevering with after an hour or so.

Magni

Games not finished:

Mass Effect 2 (started two days ago)

Castle Crashers (need to finish one day)

Dead Rising (save system put me off, haven't been back to it in years due to other games)

Red Dead Redemption (bought for Christmas, waiting to finish ME 2 before playing it.)

List of other 360 games I've started that I haven't finished the main story of:

FM3 (58% done, 53 hours in, still playing)

Perfect Dark (need to get back to playing it, only done the first mission I think)

Mirror's Edge (lent it to my brother before finishing it, need to get back to playing it)

Batman: AA (technically GFWL, have barely played it =/ )

FarCry 2 (need to get back to it, have barely touched it despite buying it day 1)

The Orange Box (have yet to play HL 2 or the Episodes (have never played the Episodes on any format =/ ))

FarCry: Instincts: Predator (wonder if I'll ever finish this one)

Civilization Revolution (barely played =/ )

I finish the vast majority of my games though, planning to crack down on this list throughout 2011.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Otacon said:
wow
i am honestly shocked at the replies in this thread
i would have never thought how many gaffers are not finishing their games
seems most are more collectors who simply buy the games and just take a quick look than passionate gamers who enjoy the work that has been put into this "product", the gameplay, story and most importantly FUN it brings
edit: my personal reason for completing all my games might be due to the fact that i do not play online multiplayer at all...
The fuck? I love games and I enjoy trying many of them. I do not have the time to finish them all. Also, I love MP games and I really get into some of them like Halo Reach and SC2.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
These are all the games I own or have owned at one point (Didn't count games I played that I didn't own)

Mass Effect 2

CoD4 Modern Warfare

Gears of War 2

Halo 3

Halo Reach

Shadow Complex

Gears of War

Castle Crashers

Mass Effect

Halo ODST

Fallout 3

Bayonetta

Dead Space

Devil May Cry 4

Alan Wake

Grand Theft Auto IV

Dead Rising

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

'Splosion Man

Trials HD

Red Dead Redemption

And these are all the ones I have completed.

CoD4 Modern Warfare

Gears of War 2

Halo 3

Halo Reach

Shadow Complex

Gears of War

Castle Crashers

Mass Effect

Dead Space

Grand Theft Auto IV

Dead Rising

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Trials HD

Red Dead Redemption

ME2, ALan Wake and 'Splosion Man I have only recently picked up so still going through them (Only finished RDR on Mon night) but games like DMC4 I traded in after an hours play, Bayonetta doesn't have the pull for me to keep playing and Fallout 3 I just get side tracked from the goal at hand.

Not surprised at Trials stats, the Extreme tracks take a lot of patience and I am kinda surprised about RDR, although the Mexico missions do drag on so I can understand some people getting bored. Hell, I thought the game was over when John Marsden (Only read if you completed it)
was reunited with his family. I thought the family missions were going to just go on and on, then when I did progress and John died I thought I had completed it. There wasn't anything on the map to say where to go next, if my mate didn't tell me there was another mission the game would've sat unfinished on my shelf

kerrak

Let me express myself "poetically":

Probability of finishing a game = Pf

Rate from 0 to 10:
Quality of core mechanics or gameplay = Qm
Quality of presentation (graphics/sound/music/level design/art) = Qp
Degree of variation in mechanics, levels, art, etc... = V
Expected quality of next game waiting to be played = Eq
Number of days until acquisition of said next game = T

Average in hours:
Length of the main story = Lm
Length of the side quests/free roaming = Ls

Serious formula:
Pf = (0,25 * average(Qm;Qp;V)/30 + 0,75 * Min(Qm;Qp;V)/10) ^ (1/((Lm+1,5*Ls)/30))) * (1 - (1-T/10 * Eq/10))

This is the reason why i enjoy lots of games but i don't finish them all.

i have absolutely no guilt or hesistation about not 'finishing' a game even if it has a storyline.

i'll only play it through to completion if it remains worth my time. if it has a dreary last boss fight, i won't bother.

it's my money, it's my time. i rate games based on how much fun i got out of them, not whether i stuck around long enough to finish them. i got nowhere near 'finishing' Fallout 3, but i still poured fourty something hours into it and loved it, for example.

jorma

is now taking requests
I'm not shocked about RDR, i only got across the river before i sort of fell out of love with the game.

i'm seriously impressed by the Braid completion rate though.

And i agree with all the people saying these numbers were higher than expected.

Morokh

When I see low numbers like this for story intensive games like Mass Effect it is quite surprising :eek:

But for games like Fallout 3 where there is a billion things you can do in the game that don't affect the main 'mission' it's not that shocking (and i'd bet stats on PC for Fallout would be wayyyy slower because of modding :D )

For multiplayer games like Castle Crashers & Halo well multiplayer is king so the 'not completing the final mission' criteria is someway a weird way to see if the game is played or not.

nli10

miladesn said:

raptr only starts counting from when you sign up. It's a good metric for games after that point, but terrible for those in the middle. You are likely to get the ach. for finishing the game as your last ach in some games, but not in others - RDR with all it's post game DLC will mean people signing up AFTER they finished the single player.

It's a good exercise in comparison of similar games released at the same time, and it's effective as raptr keeps counting even if you haven't used the service since you signed up (like me) but offline ach. and ones from before you sign up don't seem to count.

True Achievements has a smaller sample size and doesn't claim to track people's time played but does go back to rescan cards for existing ach.

They have 57% of players getting the "into the sunset" ach. on RDR (last but one mission that feels like the end)
and 51% getting the "nurture or nature" ach. for the mission that makes the credits roll.

This is distorted by the nature of the site which is all about getting ach. but suggests that few clued up gamers missed the actual end of the game.

For comparison 32% of this site's players got FF13's Instrument of Change and
80% got mass effect's "Mission Accomplished" showing the higher percentages for this sub-set of the gaming community.

People who care about ach. enough to (free) register get more ach. than Raptr users.

V_Arnold

A lot of these games in the list are played to have fun with them, not played to complete them.

Some people really need to get their perspectives up to the 2010 level. If you are having fun with a game, who cares if you completed it or not? Or if you are caught up in multiplayer or some sidequest/minigame? If the game is a linear story-oriented game, that simply means people do not have the neccessary attention span for that type of game, or that a new game came out which was more interesting at that moment. No need to be so dramatic about it.

Gamers finish games that they want to finish.

nli10

V_Arnold said:
A lot of these games in the list are played to have fun with them, not played to complete them.

Some people really need to get their perspectives up to the 2010 level. If you are having fun with a game, who cares if you completed it or not? Or if you are caught up in multiplayer or some sidequest/minigame? If the game is a linear story-oriented game, that simply means people do not have the neccessary attention span for that type of game, or that a new game came out which was more interesting at that moment. No need to be so dramatic about it.

Gamers finish games that they want to finish.

The developers care. If they put 50% of their effort into a part of the game only 5% find they have wasted their time and could expand the part that more people saw. I know it's never this extreme (and that in RDRs case the more avid gamers found the end and the casuals just enjoyed the experience without the story) but I think large games that work like a box of toy cars and allow us to build our own experiences are the best way that gaming can head.

I don't feel like I have to beat a game, either. I want my moneys worth and I would like to beat games but if they become boring I have no problem "putting them on probation" and soon quitting. PSN games are a little different, I usually try to beat those. I don't feel obligated to a videogame, especially when it stops being fun. Sly 2 is on probation now.

If the story or gameplay really begins to suck than I don't care about the ending. Maybe I'll wikipedia it if I'm curious but usually its a clean breakup.

Raiden

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
Games are long and boring. And even when they are short they are still boring ( God of War 3). There is only a tiny, tiny number of games where i had fun from beginning to end. Now that i started renting some games through blockbuster, i don't feel compelled to finish it before selling it, i just return it and try something else. I made it through about 40 minutes of Mafia 2 before deciding " this is really boring, i do not feel like playing more".

EDIT: And yeah 50%+ or even 40% seems decently high.

Okay good for you, you know, maybe you should just move on to something else? Because honestly gaming doesnt seem for you anymore.

Lince

Banned
Mass Effect 2
Complete Final Story Mission - 65.8%

that's roughly 34% of players who didn't get to the "awesome" final boss encounter, I wish I hadn't completed it either. That laughable shit killed the game for me.

Legendary Warrior said:
I can see why people wouldn't finish RDR or Fallout 3.
I found out most of my friends just run around the GTA world and cause trouble, barely doing missions when I tried to discuss GTA4 with them. I never realized this. I suppose it could be a similar situation with RDR.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I quit playing games before I finish them all of the time. The main reason is that videogames have by far the worst pacing out of any entertainment medium, particularly story-centric games.

Top Bottom