• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers with limited time: how are you managing the year 2017?

Crixus

The Morrowind expansion for ESO is my only solid target this year (besides the rumored new Assassin's Creed). I thought I would be excited for more games this year, but Syberia 3, Mass Effect Andromeda and Sea Of Thieves have dropped off my radar.

danthefan

Sadly, by just not playing a load of games that have come out recently.

I would like to play all these but haven't, and I'm almost certainly forgetting some:

Dark Souls 3
FFXV
Nioh
Nier Automata
Yakuza 0
Dishono(u)red 2
Deus Ex: MD

I've ordered Horizon and it's in the post, and I'm going to get Persona 5. I'll pick up the rest in sales in the coming months/years.

OP, basically you need to stop yourself from buying games when you're already in the middle of another one. It's not like those other games are going to go anywhere, and you're do a disservice to the experience by getting halfway through and then starting something else. At least with Yakuza 0 it's worth it to go back and finish the main story, even if you don't do any other side content.

But to your larger point, yeah, it's tough. I'm working my ass off along with side projects, and trying to fit in open world games to my schedule is not working out very well. I'm basically trying to finish up all the Yakuza 0 content before Persona 5 comes out. The latest No Man's Sky update is throwing a wrench in that plan because it's the kind of game you can spend 3 hours without realizing it (to be fair, so is Yakuza).

MAX PAYMENT

Digital only.

I only buy and play games I KNOW I won't sell.
The games that fall into my iffy category, I pick up digitally on sale months down the road.

It's not hard to just play games at your own pace. You don't have to play every brand new game the millisecond it releases. I never understood that mentality.

I might get Nier or Zelda or Horizon later this year, but no rush! I tend to stick to playing smaller titles anyway. Didn't stop me from doing 100% in DQ8 earlier this year though! (Great game)

Koozek

Quit my job, broke up with my gf, and moved somewhere else so I don't have to deal with anyone. Really enjoying NieR right now and can't wait to play Zelda soon.

KZObsessed

Bought and played Horizon Zero Dawn for 70 hours. Skipped everything else. I'll just spread the others throughout the rest of the year. No need to buy them all straight away. The usual holiday "blockbusters" don't really interest me, so the last half of the year shouldn't be as busy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought horizon, two days later I bought a switch. I haven't touched the switch.

But I tend to only dip in and out of games, and waste my free time just browsing or watching crap on TV. Horizon consumed every free moment from release until yesterday when I platinumed it. Same thing happened with the souls games. So if the right game comes along I'll make time for it, otherwise I'll skim the surface and move on. I guess that's why I like shorter, more linear games these days

JEKKI

I play one game every 2-4 months... last year it was SMT Apocolypse; beat it and started FFXV in Jan, beat that earlier in March and have been playing Arkham Knight which should be done once Persona 5 comes out.

after P5 I'll catch up with Yakuza 0 and Nier, as long as I finish before Black Friday.

then once Black Friday comes around I'm hoping to pick up Horizon Zero and RE7 for cheap.

I have quite a lot of free time & still wouldn't be able to keep up with all the games I want soo I don't even try.
Mass Effect is the only game from the first few months of this year that I'm buying at release, all the others will have to wait - some I'll get later this year, some might be in a year or 2 or 3 etc.

I don't mind being behind, I'll just buy the games when I want to play them&have time for them.

george_us

Poorly lol. Haven't been sleeping much because games like Yakuza 0 and Nier: Automata are keeping me up. I haven't been hooked like that in a long ass time, especially Nier. Hell I even found my stride playing Horizon and I'm enjoying that as well despite some things that irritate me. Then there's Mass Effect Andromeda, which I'm secretly hoping turns out to be dog shit since Persona 5 is right around the corner and is probably going to further consume me.

Been mostly avoiding games this year up until Zelda since my wallet couldn't handle anything after preordering the Switch and accessories. And now that I finished that, I'm trying to go back and play catch-up​ with some of the stuff I missed. I'm on Horizon Zero Dawn right now, but it's not sticking with me like I expected it to. May end up jumping ship for Nioh or something while I wait for P5 to come out.

Nothing is forcing you to play them right away you know.

Games don't go anywhere.

All I've beaten this year are Halo 4, and El Sheddai by playing on weekends, the former via coop with my cousin, and latter by passing the controller every death/level.

Very few games that I really care about. I restricted what I would play so much that I am not playing anything until Persona 5 comes out. Maybe Diablo 3 in the meantime, but I have moved on.

This year I will be living by "no new purchase (singular) until I complete the last one. At least I have accepted that I can't play everything that I'd like and given up on certain genres.

Not Drake

During January and February I didn't buy a single game and played just the stuff I had in my backlog. I only finished 4 games during these two months, but I'm very proud of that. Since the beginning of March I'm working my way through Horizon which should be enough until the 2nd week of April. I'll see what I'm gonna do then. I want to play Persona and Nier, but I still have a massive backlog on me. Less time to play is a pain, but I learned to enjoy every little hour of it.

psychotron

It has not been easy. I can only play two hours a night most days, because of work and my kids. I beat RE7, but Nioh, Horizon and FFXV are in progress. I beat Nier once but I'm attempting to do all routes, wrapping up route B tonight I hope.

Samikaze

I'm in the same boat as the OP, but I don't watch TV, so that opens times for games. I get 1-2 hours a day, but that's split between myself and my GF playing.

My day(s) off are usually spent out catching up on errands, doing schoolwork, or spending time with family.

Lately I've lucked out in that my GF is volunteering at a Women's Shelter and that leaves me free for 8-10 hours on my day off. Which I split between housework and gaming.

So far I've beaten:
Nier: Automata
Inside
Witcher 3's Blood & Wine DLC

Everything else is on my backlog

I just don't force myself to complete a game if I'm getting tired of it.

This is a mindset I'm trying to adopt. I used to be so dedicated in completing games to 100% even games I weren't crazy for. It's also a matter of finding time to play. I have this very delicate schedule of work, internet/computer, and TV that hasn't given me a lot of time for video games. It's all about the family I live with (sister and uncle) where it's hard to coordinate the time properly. I used to be able to chip away at 3DS games by playing them on my hour lunch break at work, but my new boss who wants to cut corners with hours and labor give me work shifts that only give me 30 minute lunch breaks that barely give me time to eat let alone game.

I've made peace with my unplayed PS3 library. I figure I'll just play that on PC/PS4 when the time comes. I'm hoping to MAKE TIME when I get a Switch and play Zelda. I've been playing a bunch of little, small scale games lately, so something big like that should really jumpstart my time again.

Ennosuke

I did not buy Gravity Rush 2 amd the Last Guardian. I will play them for sure, but since I bought big games on launch day, such as Yakuza 0, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda and BotW, I am still too busy. At least I finished Yakuza, but in the meantime I re-discovered my love for bloodborne. Oh and soon I will be on vacation and when I return Zelda is waiting for me. To sum up, those Games will keep me busy until mid/end of summer, but this is actually fine. I will find my time to finish them, but as stupid as it sounds it is going to be a challenge with limited time. But I love all those games I have mentioned and it is fun coming home from work and being able to play those games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
one at a time, and playing a lot of small 1-3 hour games

JJShadow

I'm managing it surprisingly well. I realised that by having only 2 hours per day to play it was impossible to play all the titles I was interesting in, so I gave priority to a few of them and so far I have completed all the games I have bought since January:

- Last Guardian (12 hours)
- Yakuza 0 (50 hours)
- Nioh (45 hours)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (45 hours, Platinum included)

Now I'm halfway through Nier Automata and with a bit of luck I'll be able to finish it before Mass Effect

Only 2017 game I've played and beat so far is GR2. I'm focusing on my backlog.

Beat these in 2017:

TLoU: Remastered
God of War 3
Metroid: Zero Mission

I'm playing through 3D Dot Game Heroes and trying to finish Revelations 2 now. I plan on finishing them, Tales of the Borderlands and Gungnir by June.

Pretty poorly. I bought Mass Effect, but I don't think I'm even going to bother with it atm. I'd also love to get Nier: Automata, but I probably wouldn't play it either. Right now I'm trying to play BotW, however most of the time I just end up playing BF1 or Hearthstone. :\

I also forgot about Ghost Recon, I only have like four hours in it, lol.

jdfly82

Neo Member
Only have time for Zelda right now

Everything else is on hold

Gotta have your priorities

This right here. I have Dishonored 2, Nier automata, and horizon sitting on my shelf unopened. I literally don't need to buy another game this year in all honesty, but of course I will.

OldMan

Banned
Unfortunately skipped a lot of really good games man that's why I only go for the heavy hitters, certified classics like Uncharted 4, or Breath of the Wild.

renzolama

Trello kanban backlog - yeah, I'm a little bit crazy

gldow8Y.png

Ventara

Buy everything and play nothing. Just post on Gaf. So same as usual.

Jokes aside, I've only played Zelda so far. Was playing Uncharted 4 and FF15 at the beginning of the year. After I'm done with Zelda, it's back to last year again with the Last Guardian. Once I'm done that, I'll move on to something from this year again. Either DQ8 or Persona 5, if just to change things up from open-world and story-driven adventure games. Me thinks it would be too soon to play another open-world game like Horizon/Gravity Rush 2/Yakuza 0, though Y0 is pretty different.

Edit: I've skipped Nioh and Nier: Automata, though I DEFINITELY plan to get them later this year.

Sizzel

This year is great for sure. I beat RE7 since it was short . I have NioH on backlog I am working on Zelda , I am waiting on NIer and will pick it up probably when it is like 10-20 on PC. I am probably going to wait on ME:A since it has all the appearance of being forgettable anyway. I am trading my BotW for my cousins copy of Horizon when we are done, but he also has a chockful life. I feel guilty , but my take is that if I don't play or get to a game- I really didn't want to play it and if I feel anyway about it it is because I feel like I am losing a part of my life/identity. The plus side is it is because I actually have a life to attend to. Idk. I am attempting to get Zelda done by summer. P5 , rdr2, Mario...I might have to delay something until 2018.

sw26

I'm buying a whole lot less than I have done historically and working through games at my own pace.

Case in point, I bought Yakuza 0 about a month ago (first game purchase of the year) and have put about 15 hours into it so far and am loving it.

By the time I finish it the Yakuza 1 remake will probably be out and I'll be jumping on that.

hzsn724

Resident Evil 7 was great. Beat that and now all I care about is Zelda. Too many games not worth my time these days.

batrush

Disaster here. I'm mostly replaying old games (due to boost mode) when I've sealed 2017 purchases such as Nioh still on the shelf. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be anything else interesting releasing until Fall. Already played Persona 5 last year.

Gonna try get Biohazard out of the way since I hear it's short, and try to finish up Nier and Danganronpa 3 after that. Zelda I'll try to tackle on my commutes.

Tevious

I mostly just play on weekends. So far this year I played The Last Guardian over a weekend, I've been playing Nioh, but put it on hold for Zelda: BOTW. I should be done with that by this weekend and then I have Dark Souls 3 DLC next week. Once I finish DS3, I'll go back to Nioh. Putting other games like Horrizon on hold for a while.

Bl@de

I don't buy every game and just wait until I have the time. No problem to play those games in 2018/2019.

I bought and finished RE7 and the next game I will buy is Persona 5. Sure, can't play it all but It's great to know that there are so many awesome titles available. And by the time I buy them, they will be cheaper and fully patched.

RaffAO

Arbitrarily stick to one platform. Nothing stopping me buying a PS4 except that I already have plenty to do and play.

Nestunt

Stopped caring if I am not playing THE LATEST.

I have a mental list of games that caught my eye and buy one after I finished other. I don't really care anymore if I can only play Horizon or Nier in 6 months.

Those games will be there.

play games one at a time....there's no reason to rush through games on their launch week for no apparent reason....

nobody is rushing you so just play the games at your own pace.

Dio

Banned
I come home and play video games as soon as I get off work, even working 60 plus hour work weeks.

Since I usually get home at some ungodly hour or sleep during the day because of night shifts, the time I have to myself does not really coincide with other people's schedules.

I managed to finish Nioh and Ratchet and Clank ps4 so far this year. Currently playing Nier Automata and will play Yakuza 0 next, then Persona 5.

Danielsan

Bought Resident Evil 7. Finished it. Bought a Switch with Breath of the Wild. 50+ hours in. Still playing it, but a bit burned out. So finishing up another game in the mean time (Axiom Verge).

Skipped Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, Gravity Rush 2 and Hollow Knight for now.
Next game I'm picking up is Persona 5. After that I'll probably circle back to either Nier or Horizon.

ffvorax

I just play one game at time (one on home console and one on portable).

When I finish it and I'm satisfied, I buy a new one on the list that I care most in that moment.

-> save money, play just what I prefer in that particular moment.

exception -> Persona 5 that is already preordered... Can't wait! :O

Currently playing: No Man Sky PS4 - Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice 3DS

Yes these are old games, but my backlog is huge... I'm still not considering all 2017 games... :p lol

sasliquid

Was only playing 2016 games till this month. Just finished Horizon and was planning to take Friday off for mass effect. Taking a few days in April off for Persona and Neir. Still trying to make time for Nioh and RE7 (need VR first) and Zelda (need Switch first) before end of the year

Top Bottom