• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
lolwut? You can finish Dark Souls within a day if you know where you're going. If not a week of trial and error maybe. It's a pretty short game once you get everything together and/or read the wiki's and spoiler yourself. A year is more than generous for the online play for the PC version and double so before the community nose-dives possibly with DaS2 releasing in a year.

I'm really not that great at the game, obviously. Because I'm 12 hours in and still at the Undead Burg. I can't beat
Tarus Demon
. So instead I've been grinding and leveling my character to a point where maybe I can. Unfortunately I don't have the time to play games everyday so I don't know that a year is enough time for me.

As for the PS3 version it was only 15 bucks and if I want to experience the online aspect of the game it seems as if I'll need it.

I guess I didn't realize how concerned you were about my money.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I own these games. What will happen to them?

Provided that when AoE Online is saying that GFWL is shutting down July 1, 2014, the following will happen:

- All online functionality will instantly break for all of those games.
- Provided that activation servers are also discontinued, it will no longer be possible to activate the games that require activation and thus they will be removed from purchase everywhere and everyone who owns the games physically or digitally and has not activated them will not be able to do so.
- Provided that user logins are also discontinued, it will no longer be possible to login to games--this poses a problem for any game that ties user saves exclusively to user profiles.

- Any game that patches out GFWL will not have these issues
- You will of course have the option of cracking the game, or if you choose to take it, downloading a pirate version -- provided you feel you are justified in doing so based on the fact that you have purchased the game and can no longer play it.

Although you've quoted my list, you added World of Goo for some reason. World of Goo is GFWL on the GFWL Marketplace but not elsewhere. It isn't on my list because it is available elsewhere sans-GFWL. If you bought it on Steam, you do not have a GFWL copy.

Ushae

Banned
I dunno guys, this seems an interesting move. Gabe is watching, Jason did after just recently join. Is the timing a coincidence? I think not.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
Are you kidding me? Is this why Red Faction: Guerrilla was 3.99 on Steam this week?

And I subsequently bought it....because my 3rd fucking XB360 RROD'd a month ago, and I'm done monkeying around with this shitty console.

D-e-f-

Banned
It was published by THQ and developed by Volution. The former is dead and the latter no longer holds the rights to the game. Red Faction is one of the IPs that went unsold in the auction.

If I'm correct, GFWL is required to play the game at all.

Red Faction, along with Darksiders and a bunch of other remaining THQ IP was acquired by Nordic Games.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/22/42...q-ip-auction-darksiders-red-faction-homeworld

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...r-plans-for-darksiders-red-faction-franchises

Papytendo

Reposting for new page:

This is a list of all of the GFWL games, given a marking of either:
Code:
[B](Defunct)[/B] - the dev and or publisher is defunct
[B](Fate Unknown)[/B] - no word given on what will happen to the game
[B](Full Workaround)[/B] - if there is a workaround where the game can fully function without GFWL
[B](Half Workaround)[/B] - there is a workaround where the game can work in single player without GFWL
[B](In patching)[/B] - the dev has been confirmed to be working on patching out GFWL
[B](Nothing)[/B] - the dev or publisher confirmed they are doing nothing to patch out the GFWL even if no workarounds exist, this game will die with GFWL
[B](Patched out)[/B] -GFWL has been successfully patched out by the dev
[B](Suspicion of patching)[/B] - the dev has been rumored/evidence points to GFWL being patched out.

Code:
[B]List of GFWL games:[/B]
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon – Enhanced Edition [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
AFL Live [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Age of Empires Online [B](Nothing)[/B] 
Batman: Arkham Asylum [B](Suspicion of patching)[/B]
Batman: Arkham Asylum – Game of the Year Edition [B](Suspicion of patching)[/B]
Batman: Arkham City [B](Suspicion of patching)[/B]
Battle vs. Chess [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Battlestations: Pacific [B](Defunct)[/B]/
BioShock 2 [B](Suspicion of patching)[/B]
Blacklight: Tango Down [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Bulletstorm [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
CarneyVale: Showtime [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Crash Time 4: The Syndicate [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Dark Void [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Dead Rising 2 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
DiRT 2 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Dirt 3 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
F1 2010 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
F1 2011 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Fable III [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Fallout 3 [B](Full Workaround)[/B]
FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
FUEL [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Gears of War for Windows [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Gotham City Impostors [B](Patched out)[/B]
Grand Theft Auto IV [B](Half Workaround)[/B]
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City [B](Half Workaround)[/B]
Halo 2 for Windows Vista [B](Suspicion of patching)[/B]
Hour of Victory [B](Defunct)[/B]
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet [B](In patching)[/B]
Iron Brigade [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights [B](Defunct)[/B]
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Legend of the Galactic Heroes [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Lost Planet 2 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Mahjong Wisdom [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Microsoft Flight [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Ms. Splosion Man [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Operation Flashpoint: Red River [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Osmos [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Quantum of Solace [B](Activision no longer owns the 007 license, it's safe to assume this isn't happening)[/B]
Red Faction: Guerrilla [B](Defunct)[/B]
Resident Evil 5 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Rugby League Live [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Section 8 [B](Defunct)[/B]
Section 8: Prejudice [B](Defunct)[/B]
Shadowrun [B](Defunct)[/B]
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes [B](Defunct)[/B]
Stormrise [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Street Fighter IV [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Street Fighter X Tekken [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
The Club [B](Defunct)[/B]
Tinker [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Toy Soldiers [B](Patched out)[/B]
Tron: Evolution [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Universe at War: Earth Assault [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Vancouver 2010 [B](Defunct)[/B]
Virtua Tennis 4 [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Viva Piñata for Windows [B](Defunct)[/B]
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
Where’s Waldo? The Fantastic Journey [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]
World of Goo [B](Fate Unknown)[/B]

A side note, I am not aware if all of these games have a workaround or not. I just listed the ones I knew about.

Vormund

SSFIV AE is getting a Steamworks upgrade if you upgrade to Ultra SFIV, not sure that qualifies for your list though...

Nikodemos

Small note: while THQ is indeed dead, the Dawn of War franchise is now property of Sega, who can ask Relic to issue a patch removing GFWL.

The bigger issue here, which isn't talked about that much, is that some of these games would, once a patch comes out, become effectively DRM-free (if there was a version which used GFWL exclusively). This doesn't exactly sit very well with some in the biznis.

D-e-f-

Banned
adding steamworks to a game is a good way to rejuvenate sales, I can see a lot of companies doing it(Rockstar and Bethesda in particular).

one would hope they agree ... my habit of amassing a huge backlog for a rainy day and just playing any old game years and years after release is not compatible with this GFWL BS.

They better patch Dark Souls to coincide with Dark Souls II's launch. It's the difference between me buying both in addition to buying DSII ps3, or buying only DSII ps3.

Dave Long

Banned
Microsoft has left so many games to die this way. There's still no way to get the patch for Rise of Legends and the game is a mess without the patches. They shut down the servers and never released the patch separately. :(

Small note: while THQ is indeed dead, the Dawn of War franchise is now property of Sega, who can ask Relic to issue a patch removing GFWL.

The bigger issue here, which isn't talked about that much, is that some of these games would, once a patch comes out, become effectively DRM-free (if there was a version which used GFWL exclusively). This doesn't exactly sit very well with some in the biznis.

Hopefully they do something similar to what they did with Company of Heroes, and patch in Steamworks instead of Quazel (i think it was). They even removed all traces of THQ from the game and replaced it with Sega :)

Tim Schafer's tweet regarding GFWL and Iron Brigade

PfDFitG.png

Crawl

What if you own vanilla SF IV on Steam, are they just removing the gfwl or do i have to buy ultra/hyper edition to get the steamworks features?

EDIT: We should start making noise and @ing people on twitter and social media to current title holders of games we want to continue to play and find out their official stance and keep a running list of the current progress on each specific GFWL title.

Find out from nordic what they are doing with red faction, find out what will happen to Dark Souls & past capcom games like Lost planet's and RE's etc...

D-e-f-

Banned
What if you own vanilla SF IV on Steam, are they just removing the gfwl or do i have to buy ultra/hyper edition to get the steamworks features?

EDIT: We should start making noise and @ing people on twitter and social media to current title holders of games we want to continue to play and find out their official stance and keep a running list of the current progress on each specific GFWL title.

Find out from nordic what they are doing with red faction, find out what will happen to Dark Souls & past capcom games like Lost planet's and RE's etc...

https://twitter.com/NordicGamesAT
gogo, my tweet is already flowing through the airwaves

Hopefully they do something similar to what they did with Company of Heroes, and patch in Steamworks instead of Quazel (i think it was). They even removed all traces of THQ from the game and replaced it with Sega :)

Sega seems especially pleased with their PC game sales and their long term potential so I think there's a good chance.

chupon

I got a pretty standard response from Rockstar

--

Thank you for contacting R* Games Support and for your question.

Although there is no information to release on this topic, we appreciate the fact that you are interested in our games and recommend staying tuned to @RockstarGames on Twitter and http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire.

gabbo

I got a pretty standard response from Rockstar

--

Thank you for contacting R* Games Support and for your question.

Although there is no information to release on this topic, we appreciate the fact that you are interested in our games and recommend staying tuned to @RockstarGames on Twitter and http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire.

Pretty sure that's the standard line you'd get from any publisher on the issue.

I'm sure that Rockstar will see this as a golden opportunity to sell a new GTAIV package, with the expansion and the same DRM scheme as Max Payne 3 has. :)

Hatten

With the former Steam honcho leaving valve and joining msft this is an obvious giveaway of what's going to happen next...

Basically they are ditching gfwl because its brand appeal is actually negative and it's easier from a marketing standpoint to sell the new platform being build right now under a new name.

"Xbox for Windows"?

Sullichin

Pretty sure that's the standard line you'd get from any publisher on the issue.
Yep, seems that way -
I asked Namco about what will happen to Dark Souls PC / its multiplayer on Twitter, and surprisingly got a response:

We haven't heard anything official from Microsoft yet, but we'll try to keep everyone updated.

That's not informative at all, but hopefully it's a good sign. At least they aren't ignoring the people who asked.

Grief.exe

With the former Steam honcho leaving valve and joining msft this is an obvious giveaway of what's going to happen next...

Basically they are ditching gfwl because its brand appeal is actually negative and it's easier from a marketing standpoint to sell the new platform being build right now under a new name.

"Xbox for Windows"?

The shut down of GFWL happened well before Jason joined Microsoft. Its just only become public knowledge recently.

I thought the GFWL is not and will not be cross compatible with the steam version.

It won't be compatible, but you can upgrade your SFIV to Ultra.

Doing so will remove the original SFIV entry from your library, and replace it with the Ultra entry.

gabbo

Yep, seems that way -
I asked Namco about what will happen to Dark Souls PC / its multiplayer on Twitter, and surprisingly got a response:

That's not informative at all, but hopefully it's a good sign. At least they aren't ignoring the people who asked.

That's rather surprising, and makes me want someone to get a hold of Capcom to see what, if anything, they have planned for their older titles. I don't know their usual MO, so I'm keeping hope.

vg260

ComboFiend at Capcom acknowledged they are aware, and looking into solutions, but have no info to share yet.

Crawl

ComboFiend at Capcom acknowledged they are aware, and looking into solutions, but have no info to share yet.

Good stuff, please keep us posted. Anyone get any response from namco bandai on Dark Souls or Codemasters on Dirt games with GFWL?

vg260

Exact Quotes about Capcom games on Unity:
Question primarily referenced SFxT:
ComboFiend said:
These are great questions and we're currently looking into solutions. When we are 100% sure on what those solutions are, we will advise. Until then, we ask for your patience and do know that you guys haven't been forgotten.

When asked about USFIV:
ComboFiend said:
Hey guys, we understand your concerns. We are looking into what options are available to take care of users that purchased SFIV on GFWL, but will announce what will happen once we have something 100% confirmed. Until then, please be patient and do know that resolving this is of the utmost importance to us.

Linkyn

Ah, the horror that GFWL is. I learned to hate this service the minute I installed my first game that supported it. Burn in hell, you despicable abomination.

Now if only Ubisoft followed suit...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
They care enough to do a proper lead platform PC version of Dark Souls II.

It also looks like they are going back and porting older games over like Enslaved as well. I'm pretty certain they've seen the light and see the PC as a very viable market now.

Top Bottom