• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

zLQmg.jpg
472db.gif

Haven't you done enough???

Just kidding.

I haven't had time to read through this thread to absorb the full sweep of issues you guys are discussing. Yesterday, I was focused on our own readers' questions about why we hadn't covered the Florence story and on this thread's discussion of Kotaku. Chatting here helped me understand how much broader the concerns were, which is what I'll be looking into, hopefully without just rehashing the same-old, same-old from other stories about games journalism I and others have done over the years. I've already done pieces about issues with reviews and I've never been compelled strongly about suspicions about reporters and critics being on the take probably in part because I've had the benefit of working at and for outlets (MTV, Kotaku, the NY Times) which are far better insulated from many of the compromising pitfalls (to mix metaphors) than most. Still, it seems there must be new ground to cover here after all, despite my initial skepticism, otherwise this thread wouldn't have gone on so long.

So, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll be able to handle it.

You clearly still haven't read this thread or even the highlighted posts in the OP. This isnt about critics "on the take." If you do cover it, maybe you should strongly consider having an outside writer do it for you. I am not trying to be a dick, but you have been posting in this thread for sometime and you still want to reduce it to a simplistic issue of writers "on the take." That seems to require some willful ignorance of the topics being discussed.

Totilo: start with these posts. Maybe you will get an idea of what this thread is about now:

Articles/videos
Wings over Sealand articles (second article has summary) 1 2
Rab Florence (the guy who started all this) criticizing games writing since 2008
John Walker's (Rock Paper Shotgun) blog (start with Games Journalists, And The Perception Of Corruption)
TotalBiscuit
Jim Sterling
Penny-Arcade
Gamasutra
Forbes
Worthplaying
GiantBomb
Old Gamasutra article on the influence of PR
Jason Lauritzen editorial and GAF post

Forum posts etc
Shawn Elliot - 1 (aegies is Arthur Gies of polygon.com) 2 3 4 5 6 on the psychology of PR etc
and some more Arthur Gies - 1 2 3 4 5 and some replies 1 2 3
Jeff Green on the way it actually works
ShockingAlberto on his view as a former games writer
Jason Schreier (Kotaku) - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 reply
N'Gai Croal initial reaction on Twitter
Chris Schilling (freelance) likes both people involved and so doesn't want to write about it
Danny O'Dwyer (Gamespot UK) on why his site won't cover this (audience is not interested) - 1 2 3
Examples of various press kits
The 3DS comes to GiantBomb
GillianSeed79 and firehawk12 on how journalist do criticize their peers
pastapadre on being shunned by the industry
An old episode of CGW Radio discussing Gerstmann-gate
Stephen Totilo (Kotaku) doesn't think this is an important story (has possibly changed his mind about that part, read post 9). Wants to focus on good games journalism, this prompted a pretty funny picture and a comment about it, then Stephen Totilo enters the thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Weekend Confirmed
Syriel on his experiences of PR
Jeff Gerstmann short comment on swag
Snowden's Secret comments on gaming press reactions
Christian Donlan and Simon Parkin of Eurogamer want to change how they do things

Xanathus

I don't even know why you guys seem to be trying to convince Totilo of... whatever you're trying to convince him to do. It's like a farmer asking the fox politely to stop stealing his chickens.

Marcel

I don't even know why you guys seem to be trying to convince Totilo of... whatever you're trying to convince him to do. It's like a farmer asking the fox politely to stop stealing his chickens.

Yeah. If you think Kotaku or any similar outlet that propagates this problem is going to cover this issue fairly and intelligently, then I have a exclusive preview of a bridge to show you.

RedFalcon

Neo Member

Choice quote from that article (as most of it is just a recap of the events so far):

Where Florence said that PR and journalists were too cozy, I would have said that the balance of power is too far in favour of the PR fraternity. There’s no problem with journalists and PR people being friendly but it should be the PR people who are trying to keep professional favour, not the press. The friendship isn’t necessarily an issue but the balance of power certainly is.

While there is a balance of power element (companies give exclusive and early access to games), that's really focusing on a limb instead of the root of the problem.

Again, you don't have to accept that advance copy of a game. You don't have to go to some exclusive preview event. You don't have to be super chummy with PR/development/publishers so you can keep your foot in the door for that potential job on the other side of the aisle.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
4) Metacritic's influence on the industry is stronger than many think. Why do you see so many sites run the same review for multiple versions (PS3, X360, etc.)? Because MC doesn't like it when separate, platform specific reviews are written by the same person. It's fine if the review text and the score are the same, but if the review text and score are different MC thinks that's a bad thing. From a media perspective this presents a conundrum for all but the biggest outlets. After all it's easy enough to have a single staff member play though a single game on multiple platforms and then write up the differences in separate reviews. Having three different people write up three different reviews not only takes up 3x the resources, but it also doesn't ensure a direct comparison. The fact that MC's editors are trying to exert this sort of control over how other outlets produce their coverage is scary.

The idiocy of this is overwhelming. How the "industry" let shit like this happen is mindboggling.

Stuart444

What a hilariously funny image I now have...

Anyway while I am skeptical of whatever Kotaku might write on this issue, I will remain skeptical until they put something up rather than say "Nah, they won't post anything of value or cover this fairly" or anything.

Give them a chance and all that.

They are not going to change anything. And this is true for whatever country , japan with famitsu reviews, hong kong with their magazine with PlayStation bias (when i last read them as the start of last gen) , Singapore games magazines too( actually reader benefit as games on cover or are highly rated mostly have free giveaways for reader).

Unlike the others industries, games industries does not care about journalist integrity. This is because they(as in the boss behind the main editor aka the big bosses) do not see video game as a valid media , purely as a entertainment news source.As long as the magazines/website /etc can provide entertainment to the reader and generate income , the big bosses will not care.
They are no bad consequences(mostly) if they continue their way anyway, do you think that the people will want better Journalism will affect their bottom line? Those who care does not generate income for the big bosses anyway as they will not go near these sites.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/zLQmg.jpg

wow

Like I said: Kotaku is shit and they have "more important things" like FF7 hentai in Japan to worry about instead of shining a mirror on themselves and the industry at large.

What a complete joke of a website.

Marcel

What a hilariously funny image I now have...

Anyway while I am skeptical of whatever Kotaku might write on this issue, I will remain skeptical until they put something up rather than say "Nah, they won't post anything of value or cover this fairly" or anything.

Give them a chance and all that.

The community convincing Kotaku to do the story is going to merely be capitulation on the part of Totilo for not covering it in the first place because at this point he does look foolish for ignoring it. As much as many people here and otherwise think it's important, I'm afraid Totilo is probably right about his -actual- audience. Have you read or experienced anything from Kotaku's commentariat? Their reactions to a story about LGBT issues? (http://kotaku.com/5854012/this-gaymers-story) Kirk Hamilton had to actually write an article defending their awful commenters to save face.

I don't have future sight, but ask yourself, do you really think Kotaku, one of the biggest money rakers from the status quo, is going to indict casual conflict of interest and general grey area pall over the enthusiast press? And will their sometimes bigoted, sometimes uninformed audience even care?

I just want to say going along with Shawn Elliot's last post about the importance of gaming forums doing this sort of questioning, that the work of compiling important posts in this thread into a succinct index the way Ledsen's post has (though many others contributed to that indexing) is invaluable.

DGRE

Banned
I've already said it once, but the games industry is hardly the only one with these kinds of situations.

Do you guys think Engadget buys every piece of hardware they review/preview?

This is the hobby we care about so we're invested in how the attached press handles themselves, but try to remember that this isn't a unique malady among enthusiast press.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
"Microsoft PR literally bought that article: if they hadn't sent that to Kotaku the unboxing would have never happened. This piece is an infomercial.

This whole ordeal has revealed that the PR/journalist symbiosis is worse than we thought--the press doesn't even realize they are being manipulated. If Microsoft came to Totilo and said "Make a video advertising Halo 4" he would have been incensed. Instead they give him freebies knowing how he's going to react."

You're right that if they hadn't send the console we would not have done the unboxing. It wouldn't have been worth the budget or minimal time it took to make this video to get our own. But we also wouldn't have had the special edition console and game a couple of weeks before the game was officially out. So my judgment there is that there are a decent amount of people who would be interested in seeing the thing, sizing up whether it's something they want--particularly with the limited edition game, since those are often bundled with extras that can be of questionable quality. I've found that readers like having some extra info about what's in a special edition to see if it's worth it and prefer to have that info in advance. It's not that different than the purpose reviews serve for some readers, since some readers just want to read a review as shopping advice rather than as the critical assessment of a piece of art.

We actually don't post anything about the vast majority of things we're sent, so it's not as simple as "Company A can send Expensive Thing X and be sure Kotaku will post about it." But you're right to be watchful about that and it, of course, is something I think about any time we have the opportunity to post about something that came in the mail.

PR is always trying to do their job of getting their positive spin out on a game. Sometimes that dovetails with what we want to publish, sometimes it clashes directly with it. For example, sticking with Halo 4, PR freaked out a week or two ago when we ran a video of the intro of the game, embedded from YouTube, with a description of what was in the video. Again, our judgment at the site was that readers would like to know the intro is viewable and check it out. PR tried to convince me this violated the NDA we signed tied to reviewing the game and made it clear that they wanted even the text description we had of the trailer removed. But it didn't violate the NDA and we kept the description up. I mention that not to make you a fan of unboxings but to share my perspective that, in my experience, there is much more of a push-pull that doesn't come close to always aligning with PR/publisher interests. I can't speak for other outlets, but that's been my experience where I've worked.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
"Microsoft PR literally bought that article: if they hadn't sent that to Kotaku the unboxing would have never happened. This piece is an infomercial.

This whole ordeal has revealed that the PR/journalist symbiosis is worse than we thought--the press doesn't even realize they are being manipulated. If Microsoft came to Totilo and said "Make a video advertising Halo 4" he would have been incensed. Instead they give him freebies knowing how he's going to react."

Of course that was bought and paid for by Microsoft.. do they even try to hide that?

Honestly, attacking the un-boxing video does nothing to prove your point, because it's a perfectly harmless piece that shows people what's in the box from a different perspective than a straight PR release on MS's site.

..and if you watched it they actually weren't all that excited for the limited edition. If MS was trying to buy an infomercial hard selling the editions, they didn't get their money's worth.

..but the whole argument about the un-boxing doesn't show there is any bias in reviews.. which honestly this whole thing really seems to be about for some of biggest posters in this thread.

I've already said it once, but the games industry is hardly the only one with these kinds of situations.

Do you guys think Engadget buys every piece of hardware they review/preview?

This is the hobby we care about so we're invested in how the attached press handles themselves, but try to remember that this isn't a unique malady among enthusiast press.

You are correct and we SHOULD take this kind of hard look at all the media we consume. The media is no longer striving for Edward R. Murrows ideal of information free of compromise from either side (corporate or consumer influence). It is up to the audience to start demanding it since all media outlets now see themsleves as businesses first and foremost.

Since we are invested in this hobby and on a gaming forum, we explore this aspect of it here. But a lot of the questions being asked and skills being developed here have application elsewhere.

Agkel

I just want to say thanks to Ledsen for keeping up, with summarized post of the important quotes, helps me keep up with whats going on!

Shinta

Banned
For example, sticking with Halo 4, PR freaked out a week or two ago when we ran a video of the intro of the game, embedded from YouTube, with a description of what was in the video. Again, our judgment at the site was that readers would like to know the intro is viewable and check it out. PR tried to convince me this violated the NDA we signed tied to reviewing the game and made it clear that they wanted even the text description we had of the trailer removed. But it didn't violate the NDA and we kept the description up. I mention that not to make you a fan of unboxings but to share my perspective that, in my experience, there is much more of a push-pull that doesn't come close to always aligning with PR/publisher interests. I can't speak for other outlets, but that's been my experience where I've worked.

I have a bit of a spin-off question, Totilo. Do you see any major differences between the aggressiveness, and intrusiveness of PR from western game companies and eastern game companies?

I think the thing that really sticks out most about your anecdote is just the relentless insertion of PR opinion into the editorial process, and how aggressive they can be. Do all game companies do this relatively equally?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Choice quote from that article (as most of it is just a recap of the events so far):

While there is a balance of power element (companies give exclusive and early access to games), that's really focusing on a limb instead of the root of the problem.

Again, you don't have to accept that advance copy of a game. You don't have to go to some exclusive preview event. You don't have to be super chummy with PR/development/publishers so you can keep your foot in the door for that potential job on the other side of the aisle.

Yeah, because reviews that come out AFTER release are so useful to Day 1 buyers.

That's going to result in even WORSE reviews as they will be rushed to get out as fast as possible.

snap0212

You're right that if they hadn't send the console we would not have done the unboxing. It wouldn't have been worth the budget or minimal time it took to make this video to get our own. But we also wouldn't have had the special edition console and game a couple of weeks before the game was officially out. So my judgment there is that there are a decent amount of people who would be interested in seeing the thing, sizing up whether it's something they want--particularly with the limited edition game, since those are often bundled with extras that can be of questionable quality. I've found that readers like having some extra info about what's in a special edition to see if it's worth it and prefer to have that info in advance. It's not that different than the purpose reviews serve for some readers, since some readers just want to read a review as shopping advice rather than as the critical assessment of a piece of art.
Microsoft sent you that package because they wanted/hoped to get some coverage of their game this late in the PR cycle. Yes, there might be reasons why covering it is interesting to your readers, but let's not forget that the one and only reason why Microsoft sent you this is to achieve a specific goal (I've mentioned it earlier: Nice huge boxes naturally get more attention, etc). Bluntly said; they play you like puppets. Not necessarily evil or bad for your users in this case, but that's what it is and absolutely nothing else.

Stet

Banned

We actually don't post anything about the vast majority of things we're sent, so it's not as simple as "Company A can send Expensive Thing X and be sure Kotaku will post about it." But you're right to be watchful about that and it, of course, is something I think about any time we have the opportunity to post about something that came in the mail.

PR is always trying to do their job of getting their positive spin out on a game. Sometimes that dovetails with what we want to publish, sometimes it clashes directly with it. For example, sticking with Halo 4, PR freaked out a week or two ago when we ran a video of the intro of the game, embedded from YouTube, with a description of what was in the video. Again, our judgment at the site was that readers would like to know the intro is viewable and check it out. PR tried to convince me this violated the NDA we signed tied to reviewing the game and made it clear that they wanted even the text description we had of the trailer removed. But it didn't violate the NDA and we kept the description up. I mention that not to make you a fan of unboxings but to share my perspective that, in my experience, there is much more of a push-pull that doesn't come close to always aligning with PR/publisher interests. I can't speak for other outlets, but that's been my experience where I've worked.

Maybe if a company sends you something, you should specifically not post about it to send them a message. Then again, at that point everyone would be sending you guys everything so you'd simply stop posting in general.

Yeah, because reviews that come out AFTER release are so useful to Day 1 buyers.

That's going to result in even WORSE reviews as they will be rushed to get out as fast as possible.

Maybe you shouldnt be perpetuating a hype machine that actively encourages readers to buy things "day one" any way. If that is game writing's primary function than it really is just an extension of PR.

Have you ever stopped to think that the perpetuation of this "gotta have it day one" concept stems directly from the PR-Media machine? I have a lot of friends who like videogames but have never been a "hardcore gamer" like I am. They dont read tons of magazines and websites. They buy a lot of games for full price but rarely do I hear them clamoring for release dates amd they never preorder or stand in lines outside of stores.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Honestly, attacking the un-boxing video does nothing to prove your point, because it's a perfectly harmless piece that shows people what's in the box from a different perspective than a straight PR release on MS's site.

It's almost as if you're not paying attention to the actual issues being discussed.

Shadow780

Bluntly said; they play you like puppets. Not necessarily evil or bad for your users in this case, but that's what it is and absolutely nothing else.

Well I don't see Kotaku got played in the sense that they weren't aware of MS's intentions. Everybody got what they wanted: MS gets coverage, Kotaku get clicks, readers get information. Obviously there should be a larger point of discussion on this kind of practice in the first place.

What stops Microsoft/Xbox posting their own video on youtube showing the unboxing?

I dont even understand what the fuck is useful about this. The box lists its contents. Everybody knows what a 360 is and how it works. The only purpose of showing unboxings is to build anticipating and create allure. In other words, marketing.

Next time I buy fast food maybe I should youtube my "unboxing."

The very fact that a lot of readers apparently dont realize that unboxings are nothing more than marketing just highlights part of the problem.

If you want to do a hardware review, do a hardware review. But that is not what unboxings are. They are just consumer porn.

That would be advertising so you have your guard up.

That is why they need Kotaku.

Also when Kotaku review Halo 4 on their shiny new xbox 360 they will subconsciously rate it better. Its human nature , happen to everyone. That why games company host gamer event and let gamer try their games, with free food and drinks and swag :p

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. Just play games and stop worrying who is sponsoring what. If we didn't have scored reviews for game most of this stuff would never happen.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
I have a bit of a spin-off question, Totilo. Do you see any major differences between the aggressiveness, and intrusiveness of PR from western game companies and eastern game companies?

I think the thing that really sticks out most about your anecdote is just the relentless insertion of PR opinion into the editorial process, and how aggressive they can be. Do all game companies do this relatively equally?

I haven't noticed any significant eastern/western divide. Some publishers have more aggressive PR folks than others.

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. Just play games and stop worrying who is sponsoring what. If we didn't have scored reviews for game most of this stuff would never happen.

I don't understand these kind of posts. We're discussing a very interesting series of events, indicative of serious PR/"journalism" issues that have prompted varied opinions from different sources. Nearly five thousand posts have considered this in only a few days and there are still many unresolved questions...

And your response, is effectively "shhhhhhhhhh".

How is this a contribution?

Also when Kotaku review Halo 4 on their shiny new xbox 360 they will subconsciously rate it better. Its human nature , happen to everyone. That why games company host gamer event and let gamer try their games, with free food and drinks and swag :p

From Shawn Elliot and Robert Ashley's Gamasutra article in 2008 (also fuck you guys for leaving game writing):

“I think PR can influence scores, definitely,” says Zuniga. “At least by a half point (in a 0-10 scale).” It sounds like small change, but for Zuniga during his tenure at Rockstar, every half-point counted.

Articles/videos
Wings over Sealand articles (second article has summary) 1 2
Rab Florence (the guy who started all this) criticizing games writing since 2008
John Walker's (Rock Paper Shotgun) blog (start with Games Journalists, And The Perception Of Corruption)
TotalBiscuit
Jim Sterling
Penny-Arcade
Gamasutra
Forbes
Worthplaying
GiantBomb
Old Gamasutra article on the influence of PR
Jason Lauritzen editorial and GAF post

Forum posts etc
Shawn Elliot - 1 (aegies is Arthur Gies of polygon.com) 2 3 4 5 6 on the psychology of PR etc
and some more Arthur Gies - 1 2 3 4 5 and some replies 1 2 3
Jeff Green on the way it actually works
ShockingAlberto on his view as a former games writer
Jason Schreier (Kotaku) - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 reply
N'Gai Croal initial reaction on Twitter
Chris Schilling (freelance) likes both people involved and so doesn't want to write about it
Danny O'Dwyer (Gamespot UK) on why his site won't cover this (audience is not interested) - 1 2 3
Examples of various press kits
The 3DS comes to GiantBomb
GillianSeed79 and firehawk12 on how journalist do criticize their peers
pastapadre on being shunned by the industry
An old episode of CGW Radio discussing Gerstmann-gate
Stephen Totilo (Kotaku) doesn't think this is an important story (has possibly changed his mind about that part, read post 9). Wants to focus on good games journalism, this prompted a pretty funny picture and a comment about it, then Stephen Totilo enters the thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Weekend Confirmed
Syriel on his experiences of PR
Jeff Gerstmann short comment on swag
Snowden's Secret comments on gaming press reactions
Christian Donlan and Simon Parkin of Eurogamer want to change how they do things

Updated

conman

What stops Microsoft/Xbox posting their own video on youtube showing the unboxing?
Precisely. Sites are doing what amounts to "free advertising" anytime they show this crap.

Do readers like it? Of course. Does that mean game sites should make these videos themselves? Hell, no. Let MS (or whoever) do this junk. Link to it if you absolutely must. As any journalist should know, just because it gets clicks that doesn't mean it's ethical.

Publishers or manufacturers send you this crap. What they're "buying" from you is direct access to your readers. That's advertising. You may as well just send MS your readers' email addresses.

Precisely. Sites are doing what amounts to "free advertising" anytime they show this crap.

Do readers like it? Of course. Does that mean game sites should make these videos themselves? Hell, no. Let MS (or whoever) do this junk. Link to it if you absolutely must. As any journalist should know, just because it gets clicks that doesn't mean it's ethical.

Publishers or manufacturers send you this crap. They know they're not "buying" anything from you other than direct access to your readers. That's advertising. You may as well just send MS your readers' email addresses.

The reason they don't want to do it is that it is clear the viewer would be more skeptical if MS did it themselves. By having game media do it for them, they borrow their credibility for the purpose of their own marketing.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I honestly can't get over the commentary on this from Weekend Confirmed, it's fucking ridiculous. I could have sworn that, back on 1up, Garnett and John Davidson would have been outraged by this shit and here's Garnett and crew practically giving it a ringing endorsement. Gross, gross, gross.

Lancehead

I dont even understand what the fuck is useful about this. The box lists its contents. Everybody knows what a 360 is and how it works. The only purpose of showing unboxings is to build anticipating and create allure. In other words, marketing.

Next time I buy fast food maybe I should youtube my "unboxing."

The very fact that a lot of readers apparently dont realize that unboxings are nothing more than marketing just highlights part of the problem.

If you want to do a hardware review, do a hardware review. But that is not what unboxings are. They are just consumer porn.

I guess they're reviewing the goodies in collector editions. Which sounds really stupid.

conman

The reason they don't want to do it is that it is clear the viewer would be more skeptical if MS did it themselves. By having game media do it for them, they borrow their credibility for the purpose of their own marketing.
Exactly. And yet journalists say they're doing nothing wrong. So not only is MS "buying" direct access to readers/viewers, but they're also "buying" a site's credibility. It's dirty. And the fact that journalists don't want to acknowledge or admit this is even dirtier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom