• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games redeemed by their endng

Danganronpa 2, the final chapter was incredible and made up for the convoluted mysteries and confused plot before it, both figuratively and literally.

Hopeford

Danganronpa 2, the final chapter was incredible and made up for the convoluted mysteries and confused plot before it, both figuratively and literally.

Personally I was more of a fan of Chapter 5 than Chapter 6.

Chapter 6 involved the series main plot(as it, well, should since it's the final chapter) which is sort of hit or miss depending on the person. Was sort of a huge miss for me, personally. Chapter 5 though was the best, most ridiculous extreme based on the premise of the game and I think that worked really well.

Dizzy-4U

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Went from "this is ok" to "holy shit this is incredible" in the last 10 minutes.

Same for Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I still get goosebumps thinking about those final minutes
(specially the swimming part)
. That realisation elevated the game to masterpiece.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Well, the game itself was good too even though the escape sections kinda wore themselves out at some point. But whatever faults I could find from the game were redeemed by that ending.

I don't usually care for story stuff in games and think most of them are usually unnecessary things in games, but this one was something else. It wasn't just a story being told but it was more than that. I felt this shit in the core of my soul. I might not be able to tell in words what everything meant but I could feel the meaning in my soul. That's how stories turn into art instead of being merely entertainment.

I think it's still one of the only "stories" in games I really like.
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I found the core gameplay mechanic to be tedious/gimmicky right up until the ending when it all fell into place.
UmNjrO3.gif

plushyp

While Outlast and the Whistleblower DLC aren't bad by any means, they were really repetitive in some areas and became frustrating rather than scary. The ending of the first game was pretty typical of the horror genre but the ending the the DLC was perfect.

Too bad it's been undermined by Outlast 2.

Sora no Kiseki SC doesn't really justify its existence as a separate game from the original, but once things finally start happening it's worth the build up.

Strings

I'll cheat and answer with a game I thought was phenomenal until one of the worst endings I've encountered in fiction:

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
It was all the last-minute thoughts of a kid burning alive !111!1!!!1!
. Made all the worse by the bitchy dev blogs re: negative feedback.

Halo Reach was pretty boring to me throughout until the last playable segment where it finally captured that drama it had been going for the whole game. That was an excellent idea

I enjoyed all of ICO, but it was mostly just a quirky, quaint puzzle game. It's final stretch and ending absolutely floored me though, and it made me realize the rest of the game is what got me so invested in the story and characters.

Widge

Mass Effect. The side missions soul crush and the game only really takes off after Virmire as you round in on the finale. But what a finale.

The original inFAMOUS is a bit like this for me, at least in terms of story. Most of what happens in the first 3/4 of the game is generic or poorly-explained with meaningless and overly simplistic morality choices. The villain seems like a generic dirtbag with a superiority syndrome until you realize
boom, the villain is actually a future version of yourself.
Awesome reveal.

Tigerfog

Deadly Premonition for me.
The game went from janky and nonsensical to deeply personal, emotional and memorable.
York talking to Zack wasn't just a gimmick... he really was telling Zack things while he's dormant within him.

I'm going to say Mass Effect 3, and I don't mean the pick a color ending. For me, the satisfying ending is the Citadel DLC. It came out last and was am emotional and joyful goodbye to the characters. Redeemed the game and the ending of the series.

life is strange

watching chloe bleed out in the bathroom made it all worthwhile

Are you cereal?

Personally I was more of a fan of Chapter 5 than Chapter 6.

Chapter 6 involved the series main plot(as it, well, should since it's the final chapter) which is sort of hit or miss depending on the person. Was sort of a huge miss for me, personally. Chapter 5 though was the best, most ridiculous extreme based on the premise of the game and I think that worked really well.

It might have been chapter 5. Basically the last leg of the game where the story unfolded significantly, began with a flashback to the trip to the island by boat

To be honest this had the opposite effect on me: The murder mystery adventure fell to the ground at the moment you are forced to pick a culprit.

Yeah for sure. Persona 4's ending is just sort of... there.
Definition of a game that's about the journey rather than the destination.

HvySky

People saying Spec Ops are crazy. That game was fantastic before the ending, and the ending simply made it better.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I was starting to get a bit tired of Portal 2's puzzles until that amazing ending...

999 and VLR with all its info dumps at the last hours of the game.

I love both endings (999 more so however) but the games are pretty consistent in their quality throughout the entire playthroughs actually. Amazing visual novels, really.

I'll sort of agree with The Last Guardian. I thought the game as a whole was really lacklustre and little fun but it improved towards the end and made me feel like I didn't waste my time because the final set pieces are spectacular and the ending is really good.

Other than that, I don't really ever finish shit games so it's a bit of a hard topic to find answers to. If The Last Guardian had been just a little worse, I'd have dumped it and never seen the well crafted final 2h.

Zeta Oni

Another vote for Dragons Dogma.

Bonus if you count Dark Arisen.

Like 90% of the game is your standard fantasy RPG stuff, more of an excuse to go to place A and fight monster B, rinse and repeat.

The you get to the end and not only is it a stunning finale, but the revelations and consequences from your actions send the game straight into "all time favorite" territory for me.

Zelda: Skyward Sword always comes to mind here. One of my most disliked games in the series, both from gameplay and overall design reasons, but probably my favorite ending in the series. The way the ending ties the series together is brilliant and
I admittedly was sad to see Fi go.

I felt Dragon's Dogma's story was fairly boring and by the books for most of the game (the game itself is fantastic all the way through, though!) But then you beat the Dragon... and everything goes batshit insane. That whole stretch from the Dragon to the true ending is utterly fantastic,
falling infinitely through the Everfall and literally fighting God especially!
I enjoyed DD through and through but the game really shines once you get to the Grigori fight(the dragon) and learn his true intentions.
It's not a villain but a neutral force meant to prepare the arisen for the real threat.

CAR105 3

I felt Dragon's Dogma's story was fairly boring and by the books for most of the game (the game itself is fantastic all the way through, though!) But then you beat the Dragon... and everything goes batshit insane. That whole stretch from the Dragon to the true ending is utterly fantastic,
falling infinitely through the Everfall and literally fighting God especially!
Dragon's Dogma story is pretty average, until Grogori shows up the 2nd time, then shit escalates VERY quickly. After you kill him
you get credits and you're led to believe it's over. And the post-game ending turns into one of the best endings ever. It gets evenbetter on the second playthrough when you fight your previous character.

A bad game is a bad game no matter what the ending, in my eyes. I few minutes of cut scene or whatever can't redeem something that isn't any fun to play.

Kas

The original inFAMOUS is a bit like this for me, at least in terms of story. Most of what happens in the first 3/4 of the game is generic or poorly-explained with meaningless and overly simplistic morality choices. The villain seems like a generic dirtbag with a superiority syndrome until you realize
boom, the villain is actually a future version of yourself.
Awesome reveal.
To this day, Kessler is one of my favorite villains in any game.

Top Bottom