• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games so long in development that they felt archaic at release

Varteras

Gold Member
Magic Skull GIF by Xbox

nkarafo

Eternal Darkness.

They started developing it during the first half of N64's life and in 2000 when they nearly finished it, they decided to scrap everything so they can turn it to a Gamecube game, which they released in 2002.

It's a great game but visually there are a lot of scenes where you can tell it was a late 5th gen game.

electricmastro

Neo Member
Eternal Darkness.

They started developing it during the first half of N64's life and in 2000 when they nearly finished it, they decided to scrap everything so they can turn it to a Gamecube game, which they released in 2002.

It's a great game but visually there are a lot of scenes where you can tell it was a late 5th gen game.
Interesting. How many assets were carried over?

nkarafo

Interesting. How many assets were carried over?
Not sure but there are a bunch of environments and objects where they seem low-poly. And i remember a video many years ago commenting on this too.

Or maybe i'm biased. When i first played the game i never noticed anything like that.

electricmastro

Neo Member
Not sure but there are a bunch of environments and objects where they seem low-poly. And i remember a video many years ago commenting on this too.

Or maybe i'm biased. When i first played the game i never noticed anything like that.
Prob not too different from Resident Evil Zero’s case then. I understood that was in development for seven years, starting on the N64DD. I don’t think any assets carried over, but that the design concepts still did.

5-DAF5699-6-DDE-4498-BC89-776666-E0-C2-E8.png

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Duke Nukem Forever again with multiple games instead of one, and even poorer gameplay, most won't sell loads of copies imo.

Rage from ID software.

I know Carmack hates story in video games which was a perfectly valid opinion in 1995 from someone who cares about tech rather than artistry.

electricmastro

Neo Member
What was, i can't think of one worse at the moment.
A whole bunch actually, in the time between development starts/first announcements and official releases, I found quite a lot of examples, plus some other long-term delayed games just below it:

Swordquest: Airworld - 39 years
Clockwork Aquario - 29 years
American Hero - 26 years
Star Fox 2 - 24 years
Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution - 22 years
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar - 20 years
Chip's Challenge 2 - 18 years
Metroid Dread - 16 years
Black Mesa - 16 years
Duke Nukem Forever - 14 years
Nioh - 13 years
Limbo of the Lost - 12 years
Mother 3 - 12 years
Return to Dark Castle - 12 years
Diablo III - 11 years
Prey - 11 years
Skull and Bones - 11 years
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - 11 years
Final Fantasy XV - 10 years
The Kore Gang: Outvasion from Inner Earth - 10 years
Dead Island 2 - 9 years
Doom 4 - 9 years
The Fool and His Money - 9 years
Kingdom Hearts III - 9 years
The Last Guardian - 9 years
Toki Remake - 9 years
Too Human - 9 years
Owlboy - 9 years
Spore - 8 years
System Shock Remake - 8 years
Team Fortress 2 - 8 years
Cube World - 8 years
Cyberpunk 2077 - 8 years
Dark Sector - 8 years
Paprium - 8 years
Persona 5 - 8 years
Pikmin 4 - 8 years
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 8 years
Super Meat Boy Forever - 8 years
Dreamfall Chapters - 7 years
L.A. Noire - 7 years
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds - 7 years
Resident Evil Zero - 7 years
Anthem - 7 years
Cuphead - 7 years
I Am Alive - 7 years
Mafia II - 7 years
The Talos Principle 2 - 7 years
Battlecruiser 3000AD - 7 years

Laptop1991

A whole bunch actually, in the time between development starts/first announcements and official releases, I found quite a lot of examples, plus some other long-term delayed games just below it:

Swordquest: Airworld - 39 years
Clockwork Aquario - 29 years
American Hero - 26 years
Star Fox 2 - 24 years
Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution - 22 years
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar - 20 years
Chip's Challenge 2 - 18 years
Metroid Dread - 16 years
Black Mesa - 16 years
Duke Nukem Forever - 14 years
Nioh - 13 years
Limbo of the Lost - 12 years
Mother 3 - 12 years
Return to Dark Castle - 12 years
Diablo III - 11 years
Prey - 11 years
Skull and Bones - 11 years
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - 11 years
Final Fantasy XV - 10 years
The Kore Gang: Outvasion from Inner Earth - 10 years
Dead Island 2 - 9 years
Doom 4 - 9 years
The Fool and His Money - 9 years
Kingdom Hearts III - 9 years
The Last Guardian - 9 years
Toki Remake - 9 years
Too Human - 9 years
Owlboy - 9 years
Spore - 8 years
System Shock Remake - 8 years
Team Fortress 2 - 8 years
Cube World - 8 years
Cyberpunk 2077 - 8 years
Dark Sector - 8 years
Paprium - 8 years
Persona 5 - 8 years
Pikmin 4 - 8 years
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 8 years
Super Meat Boy Forever - 8 years
Dreamfall Chapters - 7 years
L.A. Noire - 7 years
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds - 7 years
Resident Evil Zero - 7 years
Anthem - 7 years
Cuphead - 7 years
I Am Alive - 7 years
Mafia II - 7 years
The Talos Principle 2 - 7 years
Battlecruiser 3000AD - 7 years
39 years lmao and over 20 lol, that's the new TES 6,!!, amazing list :messenger_ok:, i'll be long gone by the time those types of delayed games come out.

Last edited:

electricmastro

Neo Member
39 years lmao and over 20 lol, that's the new TES 6,!!, amazing list :messenger_ok:, i'll be long gone by the time those types of delayed games come out.
Yeah, and in terms of continuous developments, it might be Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. Metroid Dread was being worked on as far back as the DS days, and seemed to be worked on constantly. Black Mesa’s development is prob the most clear of the games delayed longer than Duke Nukem Forever though.

Laptop1991

Yeah, and in terms of continuous developments, it might be Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. Metroid Dread was being worked on as far back as the DS days, and seemed to be worked on constantly. Black Mesa’s development is prob the most clear of the games delayed longer than Duke Nukem Forever though.
I played Black Mesa as i played Half Life 1 back in 98, Black Mesa shouldn't have been longer really in development, a lot of it was just remaking what had already been created by Valve, although it was a better game than Duke Nukem Forever, but it couldn't fail really being Half Life.

electricmastro

Neo Member
I played Black Mesa as i played Half Life 1 back in 98, Black Mesa shouldn't have been longer really in development, a lot of it was just remaking what had already been created by Valve, although it was a better game than Duke Nukem Forever, but it couldn't fail really being Half Life.
Though I'm not sure if staying more true to a 1998 game would make it worse and more archaic. lol

835948326-preview-9-Xant-Hn.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Final Fantasy XV IMO.

As an open world game it felt dated. It was like a japanese studio trying to make a western open world.....from last gen.

I refute this ancient claim.

It felt modern but shittier. To me.

I love you, though. Both in the past, and the beautiful person you've become today.

Top Bottom