• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are exclusive/enhanced on the New 3DS

MacTag

Banned
Additional SNES VC has been announced or released.

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Japan only)
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Japan only)
Kirby's Dream Course
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Punch-Out!!
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Does anyone know which of the Nindies@BitSummit games are N3DS only? It'd be a stretch to wonder about N3DS enhanced titles, but I'm guessing some of the stuff built on Unity, like Back in 1995 64, has to be N3DS only?

Here's the montage trailer if anyone missed it. I'm hyped for the Puyo creator's next game! https://youtu.be/AG35UprNokk

Nintendo needs to take advantage of Fire Emblem being more successful than ever and localize some of these bad boys finally. Or hell, use the inevitable bajillions they'll make off the mobile game to fund it.

Pokemaniac

Does anyone know which of the Nindies@BitSummit games are N3DS only? It'd be a stretch to wonder about N3DS enhanced titles, but I'm guessing some of the stuff built on Unity, like Back in 1995 64, has to be N3DS only?

Here's the montage trailer if anyone missed it. I'm hyped for the Puyo creator's next game! https://youtu.be/AG35UprNokk

From my understanding, while there's nothing necessarily stopping anyone from releasing a Unity-based game that supports Old 3DS, it's highly unlikely that that will ever happen due the system's general level of capabilities.

RedToad64

I'm going to make a prediction that Federation Force was probably a N3DS exclusive at some point, just like Hyrule Warriors more than likely was.

Besides amiibo, was anything else that uses N3DS features have been announced yet?

I want an N3DS bad, but common sense tells me to hold for a price drop and NX.

Ehhh, I was thinking about the same thing, but not knowing anything about NX, and not knowing when there was going to be a price drop, if ever (the most I've seen it go down to is $175), I just went ahead and sprung for it today. Got the standard black XL.

NO regrets. I can play Super Mario 3D Land, A Link Between Worlds, and a number of other games the way they were meant to be played, thanks to the nice and stable 3D. And I can play those games now, instead of waiting.

Also, when the N3DS first came out, there were lots of complaints about the potential transfer issues. Nope... after just a few button clicks on both 3DS's and about 1/2 hour later, my transfer was completely done. Super easy.

thefil

I've been considering upgrading to a n3DS just for Monster Hunter X. Is it true that there is no frame rate/texture improvement this time? Easy pass, then.

Suzzopher

Additional SNES VC has been announced or released.

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Kirby's Dream Course
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Punch-Out!!
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Meanwhile in Europe we are seeing pretty much nothing.

TheMoon

Meanwhile in Europe we are seeing pretty much nothing.

NA and PAL have about the same amount of VC games on N3DS VC (15 vs 13).

Contra III: The Alien Wars // out in NA+PAL+JP
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble // out in NA+PAL+JP
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Japan only) // out in JP
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Japan only) // out in JP
Kirby's Dream Course // out in PAL+JP
Mega Man 7 // out in JP
Mega Man X // out in JP
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts // out in NA
Super Punch-Out!! // out in NA+PAL
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers // out in JP
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja // out in NA+JP

edit: and MM7 / MMX come out this week in EU :D

PantsuJo

I've been considering upgrading to a n3DS just for Monster Hunter X. Is it true that there is no frame rate/texture improvement this time? Easy pass, then.
X/Generations runs at 30 fps with slowdowns in some areas, at least in the demo. It seems the same engine of MH3U but "powered" in terms of textures and light effects.

So, yeah, it's a step back compared to MH4U engine. It's true when we said that MH4 didn't run at 60 fps (indeed, the average was 45 fps) but it still feels faster compared to this new game. Plus, MH4U has awesome rich textures thanks to the improved hardware of New 3DS.

X/Gen was designed for old 3DS hardware, it seems. Sadly.

PtM

Banned
I'm going to make a prediction that Federation Force was probably a N3DS exclusive at some point, just like Hyrule Warriors more than likely was.
The game that started out as an NDS game?
X/Generations runs at 30 fps with slowdowns in some areas, at least in the demo. It seems the same engine of MH3U but "powered" in terms of textures and light effects.

So, yeah, it's a step back compared to MH4U engine. It's true when we said that MH4 didn't run at 60 fps (indeed, the average was 45 fps) but it still feels faster compared to this new game. Plus, MH4U has awesome rich textures thanks to the improved hardware of New 3DS.

X/Gen was designed for old 3DS hardware, it seems. Sadly.
Those rich textures look like a busy mess, especially on the environment. I prefer the cleaner look of MH3U. It's as if they downscaled HD textures vs. SD textures.

New Digital Foundry video up assessing MH Generations.

In short: It's N3DS enhanced, but the enhancements are slim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orbz3Astxx4

No enhancements to visual quality (texture quality on monsters, shadow quality, texture filtering), or framerate. But the game is locked at 30fps on both models and the game maintains a stable 30 even on the original 3DS, so it's hard to tell. I'd imagine if there are framerate drops in very busy areas when playing online then N3DS might have an advantage.

Load times are noticeably better on N3DS, so it must be using all three CPU cores and that L2 cache.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Added more than a handful of games to the c-stick compatible game list and also MH Generations improvement

Yeah, I'd say so. It depends though, I think Game Freak might be programming the GPU at a lower level with Sun and Moon too:

Another thing: Nintendo now supports five different ways to program the GPU. The easiest way is DMPGL (OpenGL|ES with Maestro stuff), which is easy to use but has a very high overhead. Then comes GD, a functional equivalent but not compatible to OpenGL and more lightweight, followed by GR, which is even more low level and offers better performance, but requires more in-depth knowledge of the GPU. The next option is NW4C (NintendoWare for CTR), Nintendo's official middleware solution, complete with graphical frontends and stuff. Supposedly easy to use and high performance, but I assume flexibility is limited. And last, but not least, is direct register access, which requires arcane knowledge but offers the best possible performance (and the most ways for stuff to go horribly wrong).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Basically nothing major I would say. As this lead to one question.

Considering the rumored 3ds support until 2018, could we see New 3ds exclusive games popping up from now on, to increase the LTD life cycle of the console?

Basically nothing major I would say. As this lead to one question.

Considering the rumored 3ds support until 2018, could we see New 3ds exclusive games popping up from now on, to increase the LTD life cycle of the console?

I'd be up for that. Nintendo probably knows what portion of the active 3DS install base is on "New" hardware and what sort of games they are playing, so maybe that'll determine whether we get another big N3DS game after Xenoblade 3D.

Guess we'll find out in the Direct today, since Nintendo has usually announced new 3DS games unexpectedly during Directs (Chibi Robo Zip Lash, A Link Between Worlds etc).

TheMoon

the SwiftPlay Plaza (Mii Plaza update) is New 3DS enhanced.

swifterfep8g.jpg

ArtHands

Updated the list with A-train, swiftplay and some games compatible with the amiibo announced on the direct

Thanks guys

ArtHands

Wow, added pirate pops plus and hype light e

New 3ds exclusive titles has just hit double digits lol

8bitogre

Banned
Ehhh, I was thinking about the same thing, but not knowing anything about NX, and not knowing when there was going to be a price drop, if ever (the most I've seen it go down to is $175), I just went ahead and sprung for it today. Got the standard black XL.

NO regrets. I can play Super Mario 3D Land, A Link Between Worlds, and a number of other games the way they were meant to be played, thanks to the nice and stable 3D. And I can play those games now, instead of waiting.

Also, when the N3DS first came out, there were lots of complaints about the potential transfer issues. Nope... after just a few button clicks on both 3DS's and about 1/2 hour later, my transfer was completely done. Super easy.

I'm in the same boat. On one hand, I keep thinking that Black Friday is right around the corner. On the other than, the lowest I've ever seen one go is right around that same price, maybe a few doorbusters for $150. The biggest thing for me is that I'm basically forced to spend an extra $10 on a stupid charging cable.

New Digital Foundry video up assessing MH Generations.

In short: It's N3DS enhanced, but the enhancements are slim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orbz3Astxx4

No enhancements to visual quality (texture quality on monsters, shadow quality, texture filtering), or framerate. But the game is locked at 30fps on both models and the game maintains a stable 30 even on the original 3DS, so it's hard to tell. I'd imagine if there are framerate drops in very busy areas when playing online then N3DS might have an advantage.

Load times are noticeably better on N3DS, so it must be using all three CPU cores and that L2 cache.

That's a huge step back from MH4.

It seems like N3DS is already dead. Sadly, it looks like the N3DS was another cash cow from Nintendo, just like DSi. The very least thing Nintendo could do was to deliver a update to older Nintendo 3DS games to take advantage of the N3DS power. I'm very disappointed in my N3DS purchase.

ArtHands

That's a huge step back from MH4.

It seems like N3DS is already dead. Sadly, it looks like the N3DS was another cash cow from Nintendo, just like DSi. The very least thing Nintendo could do was to deliver a update to older Nintendo 3DS games to take advantage of the N3DS power. I'm very disappointed in my N3DS purchase.

Umm you can't make a device more powerful by just issuing an update.

I don't think you know how technology works.

Umm you can't make a device more powerful by just issuing an update.

I don't think you know how technology works.

What are you talking about? I said older Nintendo 3DS games can be updated to take advantage of the New 3DS devices.

It's already possible with a custom CFW on New 3DS devices and its not a big deal.

ArtHands

What are you talking about? I said older Nintendo 3DS games can be updated to take advantage of the New 3DS devices.

It's already possible with a custom CFW on New 3DS devices and its not a big deal.

Oh, I misread your post.

But it still doesn't mean the N3DS is dead. I am sure many newer games are being enhanced on the N3DS, but they were too minor too be mentioned everywhere and thus not added here.

Sakujou

Banned
why is runbow "exclusive"?

some games dont look that good, but they need extra juice, i dont get it... are the devs just lazy fucks?
@mh generations talk:

iam utterly dissappointed by mh generations, since its not as good looking as mh4. unbelievable, how they fucked it up this hard.
or was it intended to not look that good?

some games dont look that good, but they need extra juice, i dont get it... are the devs just lazy fucks?
@mh generations talk:

iam utterly dissappointed by mh generations, since its not as good looking as mh4. unbelievable, how they fucked it up this hard.
It's the engine used for creating the game..

The engine cannot cope with the very old hardware that is in the original 3ds.

why? to shut out 80% of the install base?
Xenoblade is a nice goody and a nice tech demo... nothing more.
Because of how it was advertised? I mean Nintendo puts out a new nintendo 3ds cover for one game? Just thought (like im sure others did as well) that there would be more than just xenoblade. Not that difficult to understand.

TheMoon

@mh generations talk:

when you don't know how game dev works, please don't talk like that.

Because of how it was advertised? I mean Nintendo puts out a new nintendo 3ds cover for one game? Just thought (like im sure others did as well) that there would be more than just xenoblade. Not that difficult to understand.

not sure what the cover plate has to do with that. sure they did sort of imply there would be more exclusives but also never said that they'd be the ones making them. and as we see there now are several exclusives.

PantsuJo

MHGen is a disappointment not only from a technical point of view but also for its gameplay: "supermoves", styles and others gimmicks that destroy the perfectly balanced system of MH4U.

That said, I expected more enhanced games or patches for older ones but nothing. Nintendo being Nintendo, as usual. Tsk.

not sure what the cover plate has to do with that. sure they did sort of imply there would be more exclusives but also never said that they'd be the ones making them. and as we see there now are several exclusives.
I should have said cases. Not covers. My bad.

Top Bottom