• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that have bad menus or UI

this abomination

jsmenumyhome01.jpeg

Other than the menu boxes not being the same size, I never had a problem with GT5s menu and thought the criticism was completely overblown.

Zomba13

Yep. And Destiny's, if you ask me. The cursor, the long press to interact with the items, grid-based layout... It makes navigating and managing your inventory a chore.

They could have unified the portrait style for all characters. The Darkstalkers guy next to Red Arremer, Mega Man X and Zero, Spencer... they all look like characters from a completely different game. MUGEN-tier indeed.

Some of those are photoshopped in. Like Jedah and the gargoyle.

BigEmil

Ratchet and Clank 2016 PS4 Remake

The original menu was full of life. Remake so lazy and boring and generic and half assed

Fbh

Haven't even played it but I hate the UI in the new Dissidia. It's specially bad because the game looks visually fantastic ...but you have a really ugly UI taking up like half of your screen.

And of course, PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. It's like they used some free mugen template.... Not even a good one

untitledp4slu.png

This is hilariously bad, even for a Kickstarter indie game. For a AAA game made by one of the biggest third parties, for a Marvel game.... it's just the funniest thing I've seen all week. I love seeing Capcom do stupid ass Capcom things.

That can't be final , right?.
Looks like a mockup someone made using Photoshop....in like 10 minutes

brad-t

Breath of the Wild is a great game but it has two pause buttons each with seperate tabs and functions.

170 hours in and that shit is still confusing.

Like, why would you ever do that?

Neither of them is a pause button. One is the Sheikah Slate which gives you access to the map and photos. The other is your inventory and options. I definitely got them mixed up in my first hour or two, I was more likely to accidentally take a screenshot when trying to open the map than anything else.

However, BotW does have some seriously annoying UI failures, like switching between categories of items in the inventory and the lack of a quick discard/swap for weapons and bows.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nintendo Land. Holeee fuck. Playing the game is so hard.

Punch out wii. Every uses wiimote sideways except menu. Pointer only... Why..

The UI itself is not bad but FFXII's menus always felt sluggish and laggy to me. Like there's a subtle delay after every button press. I was hoping the remaster would address this but nope.

JusDoIt

untitledp4slu.png

This is hilariously bad, even for a Kickstarter indie game. For a AAA game made by one of the biggest third parties, for a Marvel game.... it's just the funniest thing I've seen all week. I love seeing Capcom do stupid ass Capcom things.

It's a pretty straight forward character select screen. It's not particularly pretty, but it's a perfectly fine UI. Also, the image you selected is pre-release footage that has been mocked up by Maximilian, so chill.

RRockman

Banned
It's a pretty straight forward character select screen. It's not particularly pretty, but it's a perfectly fine UI. Also, the image you selected is pre-release footage that has been mocked up by Maximilian, so chill.

That's exactly it. Capcom had a strong flair for striking character select when it came to marvel, but this seems incredibly lazy in comparison to what has come before. Even SF5'S has more flair than this one since it furthers the "V" motif the game has going on. It's very disappointing.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Assassins Creed 3 made you load a separate menu to switch tools/weapons, something that had been pretty much instantaneous in previous entries. There was also some kind of trading system. I don't remember it all too well, but it having horrible clunky design has been burned into my memory.

JusDoIt

That's exactly it. Capcom had a strong flair for striking character select when it came to marvel, but this seems incredibly lazy in comparison to what has come before. Even SF5'S has more flair than this one since it furthers the "V" motif the game has going on. It's very disappointing.

I def agree that it's lazy and uninspired, I just disagree that it's bad UI.

m29a

Neo Member
EA Sports game menus are awful. They go flash over speed. They used to be quick/snappy many years ago but now? They are blocks that take up a quarter of the screen and going through any settings takes longer than it should. In sports games, you go through menus a fair amount to manage your team and I find it unacceptable. It's highly unnecessary, all games should have snappy menus.

Soar

Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 so...Bethesda's stable. It's like they ask themselves how can we make it more difficult for players to access inventory. I would love to speak to their UX team one day, if they have one and it's not just an octopus in a tank somewhere.

Dantrist

Yes, fuck Skyrim's UI. The worst thing for me was having multiple 'notes', so I had to open all of them before I got the right one. Why not tell me which one is the newest, or give them different names or something, geez.

I'll give it that it's colourful and stuff but... Man it's terrible:

latest
WHY NO TOUCHSCREEN?!?!
I can not believe you couldn't just tap those massive colourful icons on your Gamepad.

JaseMath

untitledp4slu.png

I mean, the art direction sucks, but from a UI standpoint it's completely usable, if not uninspired.

bethesda games definitely, but i got really overwhelmed with all the menus in horizon:zero dawn for a while. i think breath of the wild can get pretty annoying with how much stuff you end up carrying near the end.

Sakurai's wife is responsible for the Smash menus and others. The UI is certainty recognizable.

qZV4Pis_d.jpg

Ignore Superstar in this image his wife didn't do that one.

Ew @using the Wii u gamepad for smash.

Off-TV play. Also needed for 8-player Smash without GameCube controllers.

Moose84

Sakurai's wife is responsible for the Smash menus and others. The UI is certainty recognizable.

qZV4Pis_d.jpg

Ignore Superstar in this image his wife didn't do that one.

Off-TV play. Also needed for 8-player Smash without GameCube controllers.

Sakurai should learn from the ARMS UI design, it's great and would have fit perfectly in Smash.

J_Viper

Bioware's recent games have been astonishingly terrible in this regard

Nioh's inventory management system, especially the Blacksmith menu, is crazy bad as well

I think it's insane that bad UIs are still a common problem

Nev

Banned
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale and it's not even close. If this is not your pick you are objectively wrong.

Just a fucking disgrace.

ramyeon

Are people really posting Destiny here? I swear some people will find any excuse to hate on Destiny. The UI is sublime, both aesthetically and functionally.

--

Yakuza 0's UI actually put me off the game a bit. Everything down to the choice of font feels a bit cheap and arcadey.

Top Bottom