• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games TM 120 Scores (Resident Evil Raccoon City Score..)

ArjanN

Not saying RE:ORC is good or anything, but a review based on the single-player alone seems a little odd. I thought the main appeal of that game was supposed to be the multiplayer modes.

SmokyDave

From Unit 13 review: "...when faced with a game as generic, average and nondescript as Unit 13 it's difficult to know how to give its evaluation a touch of flavour." "You follow an arrow above your head, killing anyone who tries to stop you from going to where the arrow is pointing. Occasionaly you'll enter a room and the arrow will disappear, leaving you to figure out how to get to the opposite end of the room for yourself. That's about as tactical and as open as it gets." "...gunning for high scores isn't reward enough in itself when the gameplay and scoring systems on offer are both merely functional and not really very much fun."

Didn't mind the demo to be honest, but certainly won't be paying £30 for it

Generic, average and nondescript is pretty much exactly what I thought after playing the demo. It's the sort of game that is only excusable at launch when there's bugger all else in the genre.

WhyMe6

After this month's Game Informer had the rather negative review and a score of 6 for RE:ORC, (and they usually overrate!) this isn't too much of a surprise (I didn't think it would be as low as 3 though - gg on using the full 0-10 scale!).

Alan Wake's American Nightmare [5]

Remedy's games seem to be getting progressively worse. Kind of sad to see a promising developer put out such mediocrity.

Ledsen

Alan Wake's American Nightmare [5]

Remedy's games seem to be getting progressively worse. Kind of sad to see a promising developer put out such mediocrity.

I don't know. Alan Wake may not have been as good as Max Payne 2, but it was still pretty brilliant. AN is just a downloadable survival mode with a story added as an afterthought after all.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not saying RE:ORC is good or anything, but a review based on the single-player alone seems a little odd. I thought the main appeal of that game was supposed to be the multiplayer modes.

GamesTM always do split reviews for games with massive multiplayer modes. Presumably the multiplayer review will be in next months issue.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
How can they give SSX a 5? Their heads are screwed on pretty loose.

Why in the world would Cacpcom choose slant 6? God.

Because they wanted a developer with many AAA TPS's on it's resume. I am not kidding.

edit: http://www.1up.com/news/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city
. "Teaming up with a group like Slant Six that has such a good reputation in the TPS field will let us make a really solid package,

I called it being crap from the first CGI teaser, go me. Not surprised at all.

edit: just for the lulz: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26807843&postcount=135

Fezan

Generic, average and nondescript is pretty much exactly what I thought after playing the demo. It's the sort of game that is only excusable at launch when there's bugger all else in the genre.

I think this is general problem with the reviewing system...i dont normally complain about the scores but when asura is getting a 7 but this game a 5. Unit 13 gameplay is great it just lacks slight polish and there are nit big set pieces after every minute and on the go i want games like these... shooting in unit12 actually feels very great even compared to console standards

Ken

Well, at least Capcpom strives to be consistent with their spelling.

jbaJUsKhCZp1IV.png

I think this is general problem with the reviewing system...i dont normally complain about the scores but when asura is getting a 7 but this game a 5. Unit 13 gameplay is great it just lacks slight polish and there are nit big set pieces after every minute and on the go i want games like these... shooting in unit12 actually feels very great even compared to console standards

Unit 13 will probably end up having a higher review average once all the reviews are in. AW is one of those games where there's a real love it or hate it attitude towards it. Some people hate it because it just it have enough "game" elements to it, but for others it's just a very unique and amazing experience. I personally love the game, but I definitely I can understand why some wouldn't like it. U13 on the other hand just seems like one of those games where there really won't be much hate for it. Some will like it and others won't care much for it, but they won't hate it either.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

It's very rare I find a .gif around here I haven't seen before. But man... that's gold right there. Never seen it; and that was a perfect reply.

Bravo sir!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It would have scored a 9 if it was a British develo... oh sorry, wrong magazine.

JaxJag

Banned
So they reviewed only the single player for a co-op game?

Did anyone do that for Left 4 Dead? or Dead Island? It's an interesting way to review a game.

Concept17

This. Everyone, around here and in general seems to only be viewing the game from a singleplayer standpoint. The only thing that matters is whether or not the multiplayer is any good.

aegies

This. Everyone, around here and in general seems to only be viewing the game from a singleplayer standpoint. The only thing that matters is whether or not the multiplayer is any good.

The multiplayer takes place on maps from the singleplayer, and is functionally identical, save that AI humans are replaced with other players. There are still zombies and BOWs running around. Same mechanics. And "singleplayer" is meant to be played cooperatively, so even that's a misnomer.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Alan Wake got what it deserved. Average, easy, and forgettable by all accounts.

SFxTekken as well based on my limited experience so far. Good game riddled with some obtuse ancillary fare that detracts more than it helps. DLC arguments notwithstanding.

SSX also deserved a score in that range(5). Mediocre reboot with too wide a mix of track quality. Despite EA's attempt to celebrate its roots, this was a product that suffered from not having a clear design scope. MP can be competitive fun, but this is not the franchise putting its best foot forward.

Shame about RE, really was hoping for a surprise.

JaxJag

Banned
The multiplayer takes place on maps from the singleplayer, and is functionally identical, save that AI humans are replaced with other players. There are still zombies and BOWs running around. Same mechanics. And "singleplayer" is meant to be played cooperatively, so even that's a misnomer.

Games are a completely different experience in co-op. Dead Island is solid game in co-op, but borderline bad if you're playing it alone. Left 4 Dead, one of the most popular franchises of this generation sucks when you play alone.

aegies

Games are a completely different experience in co-op. Dead Island is solid game in co-op, but borderline bad if you're playing it alone. Left 4 Dead, one of the most popular franchises of this generation sucks when you play alone.

I didn't play it alone:

2st.png

And I'm telling you, the experience playing it with AI or with other people isn't appreciably different.

Tiktaalik

Even though it does indeed sound like Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City isn't a very good game, I don't think they should have published the review without experiencing the multiplayer in some form. With some games I think focusing on the single player experience is fine, but I was under the impression that RE:ORC is really focused on the multiplayer experience.

Tiktaalik

Why in the world would Cacpcom choose slant 6? God.

They were clearly looking for someone with multiplayer combat game experience. There's actually not a ton of independent 3rd party AAA developers out there. I actually would have trouble coming up with another available developer without resorting to selecting someone that has no experience or only experience with B tier games.

Top Bottom