• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Gold and PS+ Games 2016 recap

Akai__

Thought this would maybe be a good idea. What are your thoughts on these line ups? What game(s) did you like the most and/or what did you not like at all?

Here is the full list:

Games with Gold:

Xbox One:

Killer Instinct Season 1 Ultra Edition
Zheros
Hand of Fate
Styx: Master of Shadows
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Lords of the Fallen
The Wolf Among Us
Sunset Overdrive
Defense Grid 2
Costume Quest 2
Goat Simulator
The Crew
The Banner Saga 2
Tumblestone
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
WWE 2K16
Earthlock: Festival of Magic
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings
The Escapists
Super Dungeon Bros
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Outlast

Xbox 360:

DiRT Showdown
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Sacred Citadel
Gears of War 2
Supreme Commander 2
Borderlands
Dead Space
Saints Row IV
Grid 2
Peggle
Super Meat Boy
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Tron: Evolution
Spelunky
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Forza Horizon
Mirror's Edge
MX vs. ATV Reflex
I Am Alive
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Outland
Burnout Paradise

PS+ Games:

Couldn't find a list that was splitted in PS4, PS3 and Vita and I'm too lazy to edit. Sorry. :p

Medal of Honor: Warfighter - PS3
Dragon Age: Origins - PS3
History Legends of War: Patton - Vita
Nihilumbra - Vita
Grim Fandango Remastered - PS4/Vita
Hardware: Rivals - PS4
Grid Autosport - PS3
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - PS3
Lemmings Touch - Vita
Nova-111 - Vita
Nom Nom Galaxy - PS4
Helldivers: Democracy Strikes Back - PS4/Vita/PS3
The Last Guy - PS3
Super Stardust HD - PS3
Reality Fighters - Vita
Flame Over - Vita
Galak-Z - PS4
Broforce - PS4
Savage Moon - PS3
I am Alive - PS3
A Virus named Tom - Vita
Shutshimi - Vita
Zombi - PS4
Dead Star - PS4
Bionic Commando Rearmed - PS3
LocoRoco Cocoreccho! - PS3
God of War: Ghost of Sparta - Vita
Switch Galaxy Ultra - PS4/Vita
Table Top Racing: World Tour - PS4
Tropico 5 - PS4
Echochrome - PS3
Siren: Blood Curse - PS3
God of War: Chains of Olympus - Vita
Little Deviants - Vita
Gone Home - PS4
NBA 2K16 - PS4
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - PS3
Fat Princess - PS3
Prince of Persia: Revelation - Vita
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines - Vita
Saint's Row: Gat Out of Hell - PS4
Furi - PS4
Ultratron - PS4/PS3/Vita
Patapon 3 - Vita
Retro/Grade - PS3
Yakuza 5 - PS3
Rebel Galaxy - PS4
Tricky Towers - PS4
Amnesia: Memories - Vita
Datura ´- PS3
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - PS3
Badland - PS4PS3Vita
Journey - PS4PS3
Lords of the Fallen - PS4
Actual Sunlight - Vita
Code:Realize - Guardian of Rebirth - Vita
From Dust - PS3
Mad Riders - PS3
Transformers: Devastation - PS4PS3
Resident Evil - PS4
Pumped BMX+ - PS4/PS3/Vita
Letter Quest Remastered - PS4/Vita
Costume Quest 2 - PS3
DiRT 3 - PS3
The Deadly Tower of Monsters - PS4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - PS4
VVVVVV - Vita
Color Guardians -PS4/Vita
Tiny Troopers Joint Ops - PS4/PS3/Vita
Hyper Void - PS4/PS3
Invisible, Inc. - PS4
Stories: The Path of Destinies - PS4

Only own a Xbox One (unfortunately), so I liked Sunset Overdrive the most. Just an incredible game with very funny humour (also has a nice NeoGAF shoutout) and great overall gameplay.

What I didn't like at all was Zheros. I tried to play it, but I just couldn't do it. Normally, I'm into these 2.5D sidescrollers, but this left me very unimpressed, but so did many GWG this year, to be honest.

---

Edit: Please don't also let this be about which line up was the better one. Let us just appreciate and discuss the games we got for free in 2016.

entremet

It's a nice bonus to subscribers of both platform services, but I am just mostly sampling games from them. My backlog is big enough as is and the "free" nature of these games makes me not prioritize them.

bigkrev

I'm the kind of person who would prefer to get awesome new games I wouldn't have played otherwise over old disc games I can get for under 10. While Furi was fucking GREAT, it was the only PS4 game we got this year that really met my criteria of being an awesome game.

I feel like my subs were justified for both systems this past year. A few stinkers here and there like Zheros but other than that I've been mostly pleased with the offerings.

I really would like to see more NEW games offered though. Like I'm talking brand new debut titles releasing through the services instead of older titles I can likely grab on sale if I don't already own them. I know this likely costs them more money but I would like to see it more

benzopil

Quality of PS+ games was really high and I can't wait to see 2017's offerings. If we'll get something like Hyper Light Drifter, Enter the Gungeon, Abzu, Bound, Darkest Dungeon etc it will be amazing. Tho I played most of them already, but still.

jblank83

Separate online multiplayer from the games leasing service and I have no complaints. I'd consider subbing to PS+ for $40 just for the games and services.

Online multiplayer should be free except for truly massive server based endeavors like WoW. Gating P2P and 3rd party server games, functionality that costs $0 to the platform holder, to strong arm people into the service is insulting.

Hasney

Nice lists for both. I do like that they have different approaches where XBox tends to have more older retail titles (that I already own so no interest to me, but can see why a lot of people like it. Especially if they missed 360) and PS+ having a lot of launch day indies that I wouldn't have played otherwise.

Chris1

Good year for Xbox. Ever since Phil took over I feel like Xbox GWG has improved tremendously this year hasn't really changed that.

I'm pretty happy with the GWG's this year and hope it continues onto next year. Where the hell is ryse tho?

nynt9

Seems like Xbox and PS went for a different strategy this year. Xbox had more game with established acclaim, and PS had more adventurous games that weren't necessarily heavy hitters.

Having already played most games GWG offered I wasn't really interested in their offerings most months, whereas PS+ consistently offered me games that I've meant to check out for a while but never got around to, so it was always a pleasant surprise. I get that this isn't the case for everyone, but for me it was a lot more valuable to be offered new experiences that I've wanted to check out than games that I've already played and have no desire to return to.

Rad-

As a PS4 only owner the offering was trash-level this year. I think out of those 360 had the best offering.

TVexperto

Worst year for PS4 owner, I dont even know why I renewed my sub for another year. I def cancel it after it runs out, I dont even play online games anymore.

I have 304 PS+ and Xbox GwG. That is ridiculous and there is no way I will ever play even 1/2 of them. These are my favorites from what I actually did play (from 2016).

Games with Gold
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (owned before it was free)
Sunset Overdrive (owned before it was free)
Tumblestone
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings (owned before it was free)

PS+
Galak-Z (this might have been my #1 favorite free game of 2016!)
Shutshimi
Ultratron
Transformers: Devastation (owned before it was free)

I definitely need to start playing Yakuza 5, and there are a bunch of old games that I didn't mention that I owned on 360 (play Beyond Good and Evil and XCOM!).

Some truly great games for all systems no doubt, but the ones I enjoyed the most were all ones I already owned. I would really like to see MS or Sony try something a little more innovative in the future. I don't mean more innovative games, but a change to the program that would make things a little more enticing for all.

Bad year for me.
Grim Fandango, Tricky Towers, EGTTR and Nom Nom Galaxy. Can't cancel as I play online almost every session.

Bessy67

I have Xbox One only, and looking at the list of Xbox One games I can't say I actually played any of those (I played and loved Sunset Overdrive when the game came out though). Xbox 360 games were really the highlight this year.

TheYanger

As a PS4 only owner the offering was trash-level this year. I think out of those 360 had the best offering.

The main thing that makes the 360 offerings good is that they're all basically One games. It's the main difference to me between PS+ and GWG these days, PS+ gives you a bunch of games for a breadth of systems you may or may not want to bother turning on/own, and GWG gives you 4 games a month for their only system that matters/that anyone plays.

Ogawa-san

I paid £31.99 for 12 months and am a PS4 owner.

Can genuinely say I got a decent amount of value from that
That's true for me as well. I definitely haven't beaten every game that's been offered this year, but just those that I have? Good deal for what I paid for a year.

On the other hand, about 90% of them are games I wouldn't have purchased. I don't mean quality-wise, just things that weren't in my radar or that I don't particularly care even during a $5 flash sale. I mean, sometimes that works out well like with Puppeteer, but most I just played because they were free.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
IMO they should separate the subscription service now. PS Plus has gotten to the point where the games you get are simply not worth the subscription. I say ditch free games from the PS Plus subscription, make PS Plus just for multiplayer, and have a separate subscription just for monthly games.

Why? Because it allows the potential monthly games to have a huge increase in quality and possibly get back to the quality we had a few years ago. Currently big publishers don't want to put their games on a sub service that has so many subscribers. They were more willing when it was a service with a fairly low amount of subscribers. Deals for Sony to get games on the service wouldn't be as costly.

Slightly lower the cost of PS Plus. This softens the blow a bit for current subscribers. And besides, at this point it's obvious that most people subscribing for Plus are subbing purely for the multiplayer anyway. A slightly lower sub price would please a lot of people even if they dont get monthly games any more. Have a separate subscription purely for monthly games and bring back the consistent quality that we had before.

LordKano

They are free for subscribers.

No. That's like saying my PS4 is free because my 300$ were for the box only.

On-topic, I hope that everyone that is subscribed right now will play Grim Fandango Remastered. It's one of the best game ever made.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
They both serve a different purpose and I enjoy that. Xbox GwG get helps me catch up on older games I missed out on and PS+ helps introduce me to new titles and franchises I might have never played if not for their exposure, and some of the best examples of that include tricky towers and rocket league. It helps to have both subscriptions for the best of both worlds. I hope there is a steam plus service one day, not in charging for online but paying a small fee for a handful of *free titles.

daebo

I have both XBox and PS offerings and I pretty much played...

FFXIV on PC...

I still don't know why I pay for them...

The month with nba2k17, gone home, and siren blood curse was the best one last year. More months like that would make my decision whether to buy another year much easier.

Akai__

The month with nba2k17, gone home, and siren blood curse was the best one last year. More months like that would make my decision whether to buy another year much easier.

Yeah, I certainly hope that both PS+/GWG have an awesome year.

Not free. You paid for a long term rental of these.

On topic, great value for both obviously. Even if you only liked/played 10% of these games, you came out like a bandit.

Well, if you really want to be precise with it, then yeah. However, many people are actually only paying for XBL and PS+ for the online features and GWG for example hasn't been arround since forever, so I consider them as free games.

Syriel

Edit: Please don't also let this be about which line up was the better one. Let us just appreciate and discuss the games we got for free in 2016.

You left off Kalimba and Max.

Not free. You paid for a long term rental of these.

On topic, great value for both obviously. Even if you only liked/played 10% of these games, you came out like a bandit.

For PS3, PS4, Vita and Xbox One, you are correct with the "long term rental" statement.

For Xbox 360 games, you are not correct.

Helldivers
Tropico 5
NBA 2k16
Furi
Zombi
Galak Z
Stories

Yakuza 5 (PS3)

Much better offering by Sony this year, well every year tbh. Lets see how 2017 stacks up.

I'm pretty satisfied with the ps+ offerings this year. Had some fun with a few games. I appreciate the opportunity to try games I otherwise wouldn't have and being able to at times play games I was on the fence about buying.

Syriel

That was for different regions. I don't think he should add those, it was for japan only and max has already been gwg in 2014 for everyone else

And Germany.

It takes about 30 seconds with a web browser (and 5 minutes or so on a console because you have to cold boot to a new store), but since the Xbox One storefront is region free those games were available to anyone who wanted them.

MUnited83

For you.
Would swap PS content for XB in an instant if I could, is so much better.

Except they do on Xbox.

Do they? Sure doesn't seem to be the case as far as Xbox One games are concerned, and a good portion of the Xbox 360 games were already available on PS+ in the past.

KraytarJ

Only have Plus and I finally got around to playing Gone Home and Journey. Journey didn't do much for me (I expect years of hype killed any chance it had) but Gone Home was excellent, not $50 excellent but whatever. The value for me has become the extra discounts these days, though some better offerings would be nice in 2017.
I still need to try Invisible Inc. one of these days.

PS+ not as good as last year. Should probably drop PS3 and Vita because thoae are mostly bottem barrell now.

This will probably devolve into AAA vs. indie again like ever PS+ thread sprinkled with Knack jokes.

PS+ games of the year: Tricky Towers, Transformers Devistation, Helldivers, Letter Quest, Galakz and VVVVVVV.

HotHamBoy

Separate online multiplayer from the games leasing service and I have no complaints. I'd consider subbing to PS+ for $40 just for the games and services.

Online multiplayer should be free except for truly massive server based endeavors like WoW. Gating P2P and 3rd party server games, functionality that costs $0 to the platform holder, to strong arm people into the service is insulting.

There was that one time that XBL Gold was only for MP and cost $60/year.

At least on PSN MMOs and F2P online games don't require Plus.

Top Bottom