• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the most satisfying controls

MaDKaT

the two most notable for me and that I still play.

- SSX 3
- The Climax developed MotoGP games

The original SSX blew me away on the PS2 with the controls. It was a joy to play. 3 just improved on it and I still play the game on PC.

The Climax developed MotoGP games on the OG Xbox/PC controls still feel great today and translated well to a controller. If only the Ride games felt as good.

Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid V, Titanfall 2 and Resident Evil 6 (the only positive part of that game) are all games where I feel like anyone can pull off cool shit no matter how skilled they are. I think it's because they each have unique movement options that are just so easy to do.

Peltz

Rocket League
Super Mario 64 (most Mario games, in fact, but SM64 feels like the pinnacle of the series control-wise)
ARMS - believe it or not, after a steep learning curve, the game feels absolutely amazing with motion controls
Ninja Gaiden Black
Halo (every Halo game, really)
*Super Smash Bros Melee* - nothing tops the controls in this game

NimbusD

Lone echo/echo arena haha. So much fun and definitely imo a killer app.

Otherwise I'd say probably 3d Mario games. Maybe sunshine in particular because e fludd gives you that extra control which is nice. Assuming we're not mentioning the camera.

erikNORML

Neo Member
4 pages in and no Red Steel 2? For shame. That game's controls were incredible and the way you learned to chain all the differing sword specials and gun attacks throughout the game, you felt like a god damn samurai by the end of it.

Viewtiful Joe. Bonus points for being an entertaining speedrun too, a highly recommended one at that.

awhspc.gif
ckvnij.gif

Arguably the Clover / Platinum game with their smoothest movement mechanics to date. A tall order given their pedigree! What it lacks in combat depth compared to their later products, Viewtiful Joe more than makes up for it via unmatched fluidity in controls - thanks to its flexible attack / animation cancelling (= enhances overall responsiveness) and its underlying rules of mobility - and how thoroughly crisp they feel. To keep it concise: fast, precise and punchy all at once.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Love the feel of Metroid Prime (especially nailed 3d jumping and feel of lock on combat), also all 2D Metroids (basic running, jumping, and shooting is so satisfying- love the feeling of my gun cutting though enemies w wave/freeze gun, screw attack, controllable jump mid air, these games just control like a dream)

All Mario games feel amazing

F-Zero (I'd say the SNES one is the best racer ever made)

Beyonetta- the dodge/strafe counter feels perfect)

Onymusha (the block parry mechanic is so satisfying)

Wii Bowling

3D Dot Hero (just the feeling of combat because of the way enemies explode into little bits feels amazing)

Killzone 2 (love the heavy feel, guns feel very impactful)

Stryder (feels amazing once the entire game is memorized- the feeling of your sword, especially on contact, combined with down hill momentum running and latching onto surfaces- great to flow through)

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat- Once you get into the Drums and combo system it's addicting

LOL the love for insane input lag xD

ASaiyan

Banned
I'm starting to sound like a broken record in these threads, but Bayonetta.
Most of the controls/combos feel fantastic and are incredibly fun to pull off. My first hour in the original Bayonetta was probably the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

Aurongel

MGSV is the best controlling game ever made given the mechanical complexity it provides the player. Most other examples I can think of are from games that are far less mechanically sophisticated.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yup, Gears 3/4 have TPS controls pretty much perfected. So smooth and precise. Dishonored 1 also had very underrated, fluid FPS controls. Destiny 1 also IIRC.

very smooth and precise on slow dual sticks/30fps/aim assists... lol

Kaji AF16

Warframe. The characters respond instantly to every input, and you can make them perform a series of complex combat maneuvers (shooting, melee, parkour, several jumps, various types of active powers, stealth, assasinations, etc.) with relative ease. When you reach high levels of power, it´s both visually impressive and very satisfying to play.

After all these years, Call of Duty still has the absolute best right stick aiming in the game. None of the other first person shooters seem to be able to get this right. Overwatch, Destiny, Battlefield, they all have these weird feeling acceleration algorithms that just feel off to me. All of the COD games feel so smooth and natural in comparison. The Titanfall games have come the closest, but COD is still the king of right stick aiming.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Horizon ZD felt very good in battles, you felt like such a badass.

Also to above, on consoles at least CoD has the best fast twitch FPS controls of any FPS ever. It's so fluid and and quick.

I've always loved how Super Mario 3 controlled and landing a tight jump using the Fly stuff always felt great, it's probably my favorite platformer and pretty much the only template I used in Mario Maker. MGSV and Bloodborne are the most satisfying in terms of killing dudes. (Bloodborne's charge especially with the axe; MGSV's slo mo, box mechanics, and general movement freedom allowed for some pretty badass moments. Greatest soldier in the world Big Boss!

GeNoMe

Nioh felt tight! Really solid controls! More recently Splatoon 2, the game feels awesome with a pro controller.

*Edit* Ninja gaiden black!!

Shifty

Zone of the Enders 2

The controls are tight as hell and the camera work makes all the crazy lock-on dashing look and feel awesome.

NGB is an amazing pick. NG2 is as well but I can't unsee the slight camera hitch that happens every time you recover from an evade. Makes it feel janky in comparison to the first game's buttery smooth rolling.

Metal. Gear. Rising. Mother. Fuckers.

Parry is so good. Parrying is how I soothe myself. Parrying is strong fresh well-timed excellent.

Freshly-Picked Raiden's Perfect Parryland

Trance

Metal. Gear. Rising. Mother. Fuckers.

Parry is so good. Parrying is how I soothe myself. Parrying is strong fresh well-timed excellent.

Tawpgun

Halo 5 feels reeeal crisp.

Super Meat Boy - One of the rare games where you can't blame the game for your mistake.

Rocket League. So simple. Latency aside.

selo

Given technical limitations I was surprised how much depth this game had, and the controls were a big part of it. Loved it.

67727-Mario_Tennis_(USA)-5.jpg

kinn

Good ones all mentioned. So one of my picks...

Spiderman 2. The swinging is just amazing .

And F Zero 64/GC.

kungfuian

LOL the love for insane input lag xD

No Killzone 2 love hu? On paper I'd totally agree about the lag but for some reason it just works in this game. It might be a tech limitation but somehow with this game they made it feel deliberate. Combined with great sound design, post processing, and the enemy death animation system, and the weight of the movement/gun makes the whole thing just feel more solid/tangible than many FPS games. Plus it's meant to be played like a gears game/cover shooter not a run and gun FPS (gears has similar heavy feeling).

If you're looking for the super fast twitch multiplayer style weightless floating head thing this is not the game for you. I would argue that's a totally different kind of game/genre.

arigato

Super Meat Boy [2D]
MGSV [3D]
Halo 2 [FPS]
ESPN NFL 2K5 (Sports)
Man, if only Halo 3 had multiplayer as good and smooth as its predecessor.
Quake 3 at 500+fps w/ mouse&kb...
This is my answer to this topic, and I would really appreciate if Quake Live were to be F2P on Steam as the $10 barrier of entry is a real turn-off for some. Which is not good as the playerbase is already pretty small.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta 2
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising

All three games are super tight, smooth, and on point.

Top Bottom