• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you have seen through until the bitter end

KooopaKid

Banned
Bioshock Infinite. I endured the "gameplay" just to see if the story would get anywhere interesting. Luckily the game was short.

Trespasser
It fell apart so bad later on like every thing just was fucked and buggy. But I kept going because for some reason it was fascinating to me.

Right now I am trying very hard not to give up on the PSP remake of Rondo of Blood. I just can't control Richter. His bizarre walk speed, fixed jump distances, and laggy attacks really are making it hard for me to enjoy.

I am usually really good at playing older games and detaching myself from modern expectations, but I just can't get the game to "work" . I'm on level 3 and I keep replaying the second level trying to clear the alternate boss and no matter how many times I know what's coming and I am still killed repeatedly by enemies that feel barely avoidable.

LA Noire. I think it decreased my IQ.
Same, but I don't think it decreased my IQ. I just thought it was bad design from a gameplay standpoint how (spoilers)
you go from MURDER cases, which are definitely the most fun + interesting to ARSON, which is boring af in comparison. I get why they did it from a story perspective but in terms of gameplay it was bad design imo. Also the cheating thing was really dumb and it didn't really make me feel sorry that Cole died at the end.

TM94

-Deus Ex Human Revolution (prob gonna get flak for this one). Sure it had a ton of options and stuff but everything felt so gamey and Adams VA was so friggin terrible it was laughable at times. Shooting was awful, stealth was just ok at best and the story didnt hold my attention at all (yes, I get the symbolism and all that noise). I hated just about every minute of this game.

You deserve all the flak you will get for this.

Shadows of the Damned

I tried to love the game. I really did. And you know what? I liked the cast. Loved the music. The story was alright too, even if it was loaded with 5000 dick jokes.

But the gameplay...especially that Big Boner section? Forget it.

I did force my way all to the end, but I don't think I'll ever do it again.

angrygnat

Journey to Silius. Because it was free, and I dug the graphics.
Total Recall. Because I spent 45 dollars for it and KB Toys wouldn't take it back.

sflufan

Banned
The Evil Within.

I finished that sludgy morass of a game as a form of self-flagellation for purchasing it in the first place.

ironcreed

Banned
vampireRainX360_BOXboxart_160w.jpg

Don't even know I kept going other than the fact that you absolutely had no choice but to play it stealthy. Other than that, it was a complete abomination beyond words.

Kirye

I've mentioned it before a few times on this forum but Enchanted Arms. That game was... it was chock full of... There are no words to describe how bad it was. That game single handedly made me stop aiming for achievements.

Also Viking: Battle for Asgard. First and only game I broke in half after completing it. Also achievement related.

ttech10

I don't know how many times I wanted to quit Black Flag, but continued on hoping I'd find out why it had Assassin's Creed in the title. I don't think I could buy another pirate themed AC game.

Doing that currently with Metroid Prime 2. It's a good game but a little too long for my tastes. I beat one and am hoping to start three soon but don't want to leave two in the ditch. A little over half done.

Two Worlds. My close friends and I bought this for the sole purpose of co-op RPG. We were quite excited for this title for that reason alone. The co-op/online component was so terrible though, so laggy and unplayable, that everyone except me returned it immediately. I played through it later, despite the terrible controls for steering your mount and other issues, and a forgettable story, and 100%'d the XBL achievements. I'm somewhat ashamed to this day. I should have just 100%'d Kung Fu Panda.

Edit: Honorable Mention to Medal of Honor: Airborne. The SP was...not what I expected. It was like they took what was great about the MoH series, the MoH WWII realism, and threw it out the window for something closer to what you'd see in iteration of Wolfenstein (I refer to it as Wolfenstein-lite). The MP was simply god awful - 4v4, terrible gameplay performance, terrible net-code performance, and terrible gunplay. Yet I stuck around long enough to get all achievements except one, a 0 point achievement that is glitches and unobtainable for most players - WWII Victory Medal I think it is called.

Tenebrous

What a horrible post.

Eh?

I beat the game on the hardest difficulty by using the bow as a machine gun. There's no challenge in the game, unless you're playing one handed with a controller. The AI is terrible, and even combat situations that appear to offer the illusion of choice are scripted - I remember coming across a guy on a turret, and shooting through the clear gaps in the defence wasn't doing any damage to him. Why? Because I had to sneak up and blow up a certain something nearer to him for dramatic effect. The story is stupid, and Lara's ascent from a scared girl to the T1000 is just laughable.

Most overrated pile of tosh I've ever played. Uncharted - fun = Tomb Raider 2013.

I played through all 3 campaigns of RE6 at launch. Then I played the 4th and the first time I went down, I was done.
The 4TH CAMPAIGN IS SUPPOSED TO BE SINGLE-PLAYER, BUT IF YOU GET KNOCKED DOWN, YOU STILL DO THE ANIMATION OF YOU WAITING FOR A PARTNER.

I hate myself for playing through that game, but I had to know. Anyone who says RE6 isn't bad has bad taste in games, real talk.

Kirk

Bravely Default. The first half was so good...the last half strung me along like a junkie. Had I not been so invested in the game and my characters, I would have dropped it before finishing. As it was, your wording of "seeing it through to the bitter end" fit perfectly.

Ladekabel

Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV
Child of Light

I love the Assassin's Creed series but these two were just boring. Tried to copy the Batman Arkham combat but is far from beeing as fluid. And I'm probably one of the few that hate the ship combat. Still went through for the overall story arc of the series because I like it.

Similiar to Child of Light. After an hour or so I was just bored. Didn't help that you got punished for interupting enemies later on. Some enemies were faster than even if you used spells and that glowing ball. Don't know why I went through that. Maybe it as because of OffTV-play.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Mugen Souls. I somehow managed to put up with 55 hours of poorly-conceived mechanics, shitty loading times, monotonous environments, and boatloads of fake longevity to get to the true ending. And after all of that shit, I went straight into Mugen Souls Z, which thankfully took some steps towards fixing all of the irritating nonsense in the first one.

Also, Tales of the Abyss. Basically everything after
the fake ending
is terrible. Vesperia did something similar and I immediately shelved the game.

SerTapTap

I've only done this for games I absolutely love but have annoying grinds for 100%. So while I love all the games, I've put in quite a few hours of annoyance into Binding of Isaac, all of the Neptunia games and (on a shorter scale) Uncharted 2 for their respective platinums.

But if I wasn't enjoying it on some level I'd just stop. Even the grindy bits of those games I usually enjoy on some level, and the last bits I don't I just finish off because I want to 100% my favorite games. But some are too much for me, like Katamari Forever's collect-all-the-things trophies. Screw that.

Cisab

Fragile Dreams

The setting was really cool and the characters were interesting but the story was horrible and the gameplay was pretty clunky.

Grandia 3.

Man, fuck that game. Fuck those characters and their stupid bullshit. Fuck Alfina and her brother complex. Fuck that game for getting rid of the good characters and occasionally reminding us that THEY were on a grand adventure too. And finally, fuck that game for having an awesome battle system.

Assassins creed 3 platinum trophy.. why i did this to my self i do not know.

But the worst, the absolute fucking worst was when boomerang games sent me "conflict vietnam" holy sweet mother of shit.
the fact my game was bugged making my helicopter/plane not be on the screen 90% of the time made the gane more entertaining than it should of been.

Worst videogame ever, and when i see people crying over destiny or the order all i can think is.. you know nothing.

I did it with Colonial Marines as a way to punish myself for preordering an Aliens game.

Then I did it again with Lightning Returns with the hopes that it was going to get better the more I played. It didn't at all.

Then I tried it one more time with The Evil Within, and I finally gave up around chapter 8. No more slogging through games that I no longer find fun to play.

Another one for Tomb Raider reboot. So boring and generic, a lesser uncharted clone with piss-easy puzzles that lost everything that made Tomb Raider unique in the first place. Kept playing it to see when it gets good, realized it would always be bad, but I was close to the end anyway. I don't understand the love it gets or the hype for the next one tbqh

I hardly finish a game I dont like.

But games I like that become to long for its own good.

For me that was:
Max Payne 3 - Plays nice, but basically the same thing start to finish.
Last of Us - The first play through I played stealth only,,, I hate restarting over and over,,, I dont know why,,, I used to like stealth.

Now I played through the game another time with both and loved it.

desmax

Ni no Kuni for me.

I just wanted to see why everyone like it so much, but I just coudn't. Game's just a slog to play

Assassin's Creed Unity.

Made the mistake of buying digital and I had to at least finish it...

Sucks because I thought it started out quite well too. But man did things fall apart.

I almost beat FF XIII and Project X Zone but the former just became so much of a slog even after I
got to Grand Pulse
that I just quit. The latter just became ridiculous once there were over 100 units each map, just became tedious to a level I didn't know existed in games anymore.

Bravely Default currently feels like a slog because I am at "that part" of the game, but the combat is still so good that it could be worse. Tackle chunks at a time and I plan to beat it since I've heard the ending is great.

Fury451

Banned
LA Noire. I think it decreased my IQ.

+ 1

I'd add GTA 4 to that list too.

It became a slog. I think it was just so devoid of humor as the story was a (very well written and acted) drama primarily, and that didn't match my expectations of the franchise.

And Assassins Creed 1. And yes, 2. The first is a given, but I didn't enjoy the 2nd game much either, as heretical as that may be.

Edit: Alien: Isolation is poised to join this list. Excellent game, but I feel it has overstayed it's welcome and I'm struggling to complete it.

I don't think I ever have. If I don't enjoy a game I stop playing it immediately. There are some that I've given up on and went back to, but that was mostly because I was frustrated with one part, not the entire game. I had this happen with The Evil Within, but upon returning to it the part was not all that hard.

Top Bottom