• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you have seen through until the bitter end

Being a kid made you enjoy terrible games just because sometimes you could only get one rental a month. Obitus took me a whole week of my vacations, and even though I was actually mesmerized at the game (it looked like no other game I had ever seen), it was pretty darn terrible. I finished the game out of principle.

I usually drop shitty games I don't like. Even when I was a kid, and had few to choose from, I didn't play shitty games until completion. Red Steel would be the closest to that though. I was hyper for the game, and turned out to be disappointing. It still had a certain charm, so I beat it

American McGee's Alice. It came as a "free bonus" with Alice Madness Returns when I picked that up on XBL sale a few months ago. Aside from some cool voice acting & pretty good script vis a vis the source material, the game is steaming garbage. Awful jank from start to finish. WTF is wrong with me? Every step of the way my rational mind said, "This game is dogshit, stop torturing yourself now!" But OH NO, my inner completionist needed to finish it before starting Madness Returns. And to get those measly 100 fucking Achievement points. I'm so ashamed.

Yudoken

Bioshock Infinite was just terrible, how did they get away with this?
I love Bioshock 1 and was really disappointed that Infinite was worse in almost every aspect and was not fun to play and I saw through the plot twist and the shallow story very early on.

Riposte

Deadly Premonition is the one that sticks out in my mind. The fucking nerve of that game, to basically do back to back "final dungeons". Just horrible. At least the mood was getting really dark and interesting at that point.

Uncharted 1. I was going to play my way through all 3 and had to finish 1 first.

My God that game was fucking horrendous, waves upon waves of enemies magically appearing from places I worked so hard to get in to. It almost turned me crazy but I did it.

Uncharted 2 was magical though.

BouncyFrag

Bioshock Infinite was just terrible, how did they get away with this?
I love Bioshock 1 and was really disappointed that Infinite was worse in almost every aspect and was not fun to play and I saw through the plot twist and the shallow story very early on.
What really killed the game for me was when Booker was still trying to finish a mission for someone in a
completely different universe.
I did finish the game, but it took some effort.

Darrcyphfeid

Neo Member
I got the full 1,000 gamerscore in
Star Ocean: The Last Hope. To be fair the characters and story are the worst parts, though the battle system was already a step down from Til the End of Time, in my opinion, and wasn't particularly good or challenging. Given enough time I came to hate that as well, especially the second post-game dungeon which may well be the single worst dungeon design I've come across, and yet I kept going.

Apparently the more I dislike a game the more I want to dominate it. Thankfully not many of the games I've played have been completely awful.

Vindicator

Also Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, never liked the game but it was a birthday present so i had to play it somehow, wasn't fun.

Chris R

Super Paper Mario

I wanted to destroy the disc and my Wii after 8 hours or so but instead I played through it and finished it. What a waste of time on a TERRIBLE game.

Bladelaw

I didn't much care for Uncharted but finished to know for sure that style of game wasn't for me. I enjoyed the light puzzles and the area traversal but the combat was pure pain. The story was fine but the gunplay was awful.

Gears of War 2 is in a pretty similar boat. I played coop all the way through 1 but my friend's 360 died around Gears 2's release. Soloing that game was boring and annoying as hell. Plus the final fight was lame. I don't know how you make a fight against a glowing giant while you're in a helicopter boring but there it is.

Devil May Cry 2 was also rough. Dante's playthorugh was alright but playing again as Chi or whatever the hell her name was became a more less enjoyable experience.

I occasionally felt this way about the first Witcher game. Despite having a decent story the gameplay wasn't particularly engaging. I almost put it down during a couple of the game's more sluggish acts but ultimately I'm glad I stuck with it. The ending delivered for me.

BouncyFrag

I had to stick all three Uncharted games on 'easy' near the end of them just to get through the seemingly endless waves of baddies quicker. I really enjoyed the combat in TLoU so I hope ND will go this route of 'less is more' in U4.

XenoRaven

I 100%'d Dirge of Cerberus and got the special Gackt ending. I almost ran out of energy to finish but then the cutscene where Hojo describes how he uploaded his brain to the internet so it could be downloaded into a new body gave me the motivation I needed to finish.

cris7198

RE 5 and 6
I loved almost every RE until 4, and played 5 and 6 just for respect for the franchise.
Although in RE 6, I finished the first 3 campaigns, and when I saw the last one,
Ada's
,I just said NOPE NOPE NOPE

BouncyFrag

Is it really that bad? I have it on my backlog list but have had this feeling like I will get bored with it and have put it off over a year so far.
It depends on how good you expect the combat in a RPG. I found TW2's combat to be 'okay' and had some fun with it once I leveled up my rune powers. My first play through was a little rough initially since I wanted to level up my sword skills primarily saving leveling of rune powers for my second play through which wasn't a great idea and one I eventually abandoned. I found the rest of the game (setting, story, choices, etc) to be outstanding so that more than made up for the servicable combat.

Phantasy Star Universe... keep in mind i played it in 2013, i played online back in the day and always neglected the single player. Picked it up for nostalgia and forced myself to try and enjoy it...failed terribly but finished the story

angrylamp

Neo Member
Divinity Original Sin

One of the worst RPG's i have ever played in a long time.

1. Character creation is open but you can be easily screwed if you don't spec and plan everything down to the last detail.

This resulted in the first restart at ten hours, and the second one at five hours.
2. I have played dozens and dozens of CRPG (Baldur’s Gate, Lands of Lore etc), the general lack of quest info, direction, made the game a chore. Leveling was difficult if you missed some tiny piece of something you missed out on XP. As monsters don’t re-spawn.

3. Horrible store system, shitty inventory system, the way the map is built is into leveled zones that if you go off the path to far you can end up fighting shit several levels above you.

4. The cheating, unbalanced combat system.

I spent sixty hours on my third play through to beat that game. Every damn second playing that was a waste, just to gain xp to beat the next area, the next cheating fighting. I cheered when I beat it, when right to uninstall.

I honestly cannot see why this game won so many rpg/game of the year awards.

Nosgotham

War hammer: space marine. It was on psn...not sure why I finished it.

Any gears of war game. Life the multiplayer but dann the single player stop and pop games are so repetitive and biting to me...feel this way about last of us gameplay as well.

Dead space 2: really wasn't feeling it but I was invested in the story

A friend and I played through Serious Sam 2 in co-op, and man it was a slog. The other games range from solid to great but 2 is interminable - and anything that isn't at least kind of fun in co-op is some shit.

I played through Dust: An Elysian Tail and sort of regretted that afterwards too. That game seriously starts to drag about halfway through. And then there was Devil May Cry 2, which I played just to say I played through all of the Devil May Cry games, but that game is at least short and easy despite being garbage.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
But my husband got it worse. Star Ocean 4 full retail. YEAH. He did it. I couldn't believe it but yes and he hated it with every nerve in his body.

I did this too. I still question myself why I did it. Maybe it was the combat.

But my GOD that story... and the characters... WHY?!

Top Bottom